CHAPTER VI

Survivors's Story

“I’m sorry…” Kyuhyun said as he approached me and tapped my shoulder.

“No…” I replied in low tone.

“I know it must be hard but…”

“Not her…” I said once again as I sat myself against the cabinet right at the girl side.

Kyuhyun seems wanted to say something to me but then he got confused when he saw my expression… it’s not one of sorrow nor sadness. As a matter of fact it was one of relieved… Yeah I was relieved when I saw the girl’s dead body. I have paid a close look to her face, even though it’s damaged but it still recognizable.

“It’s not her…” I said as I sighed in relieve “It’s not Haena.”

“Really? She’s not Haena?”

“Yeah… she’s someone else.”

“Well then that’s a total relieve… It means that she somehow must have escaped when something happened here.”

“Yeah… I sure hope so.” I said as I stood up “By the way, don’t you know Haena? Even though the girl face is damaged like that it’s still recognizable.”

“Well… to tell you the truth I don’t know any Haena. And to add more to it you got to admit the description that you gave to me was rather vague.”

“Well… that I admit, but haven’t I told you about her?” I asked as I walked outside the room followed by Kyuhyun at my side.

“I believe no… you haven’t”

“Ah… I’m sorry about that. I must have confused you with myungsoo.”

“Maybe… So, do I suppose to know her?”

“Well I think so…” I said in hesitation “I mean you two works in the same field… shouldn’t you somehow at least knew a little?”

“Working in the same field doesn’t necessarily means that we know each other… especially in the field like us. We’re so busy that we’re sometimes don’t even have the time to check on our own family… let alone others.”

I stopped at my track right on the middle of the waiting room and asked “Is it really that bad?”

“Yeah… the only way that anyone is going to get noticed by us is either the person really famous thus we will see him or her a lot on some events or they worked together with us.”

“Wow… I thought I was so busy that I find it difficult to spend with others… but I still have some time to actually get to know them.”

“Well… that’s the life of an idol. You almost have no private time that you could spend… we often didn’t even have the time to sit and eat properly.”

“My condolences are for you Kyuhyun-ah.” I said as I tapped his shoulder.

Kyuhyun then chuckled after hearing my words with somehow made me chuckled as well… but then our time was interrupted by a gunshot sound.

“What the…” Kyuhyun said.

“Let’s check it out.” I replied as I run towards the outside of the clinic.

As I and Kyuhyun reached the gate the both of use took a peek just to make sure that we didn’t ran to any walkers out there. As we have expected the walkers around us was moving towards the direction of the gunshot sound… it came from the direction where we’ve came.

“Did Myungsoo bring a gun with him?” I asked carefully so that only Kyuhyun could hear.

“I don’t think so… none of us has any firearms except for you hyung.”

“Okay then, so I guess it safe to presume the gunshot didn’t come from him then… where do you plan to regroup with Myungsoo?”

“Back at the shelter that we found… it’s near the street where we split ways…”

“Okay then… let’s go. You lead the way.”

Kyuhyun then nodded his head and then carefully headed towards the shelter direction. We maneuvered through the street somehow with ease as there’s almost no threat appeared at all. There were some walkers roaming the street but it only just one or two of them which we could avoid easily.

“Hyung… we’re close… it’s that 5 stories building up ahead.”

I nodded my head in acknowledgement but then our steps were stopped by another gunshot sound… and this time it came from inside the building that Kyuhyun just pointed to me... the shelter! We widened our eyes in horror and then we sprint towards the building with no hesitation, our friends might be in danger!

“Do you know the condition inside the building?”

“Both I and Myungsoo had seen the lobby but that’s it… Jiyeon and Seohyun convinced us to go after you. ”

As we reach the main entrance we slowed our pace… we couldn’t be in a hurry in a situation like this. One wrong move might cost someone’s life. The entrance door was open and from where we’re standing right now I could see the lobby pretty clear. The lobby condition was similar to all other buildings that I’ve encountered before… messy and has signs that people evacuating the premises in a hurry.

“Kyuhyun-ah, did you leave the door open?”

“No… It was closed. I remembered because it was I who closed the door.”

“So… I guess either Jiyeon or Seohyun or Myungsoo opened the door and didn’t close it or…”

I could see Kyuhyun gulped upon my hypothesis... well because the continuation of the word that I mentioned before contains no good scenario at all. Some of them might even include in the category of worst possible scenario… the mutants got to them. But then again there’s a possibility that they came across another group of survivors… the violent ones.

I unsheathed my shotgun and put the Iron pipe on the floor; I pumped my shotgun and then signaled Kyuhyun to move inside. We need to know what happened here and what about our friends… whether they’re safe and sound or they’re hurt or worst dead… and even if they’re dead we at least had to see their bodies.

I lead the way into the building and then traverse the lobby carefully looking for any sign of life and possible hostility.  But it was empty… there’s nothing in the lobby. We’ve even split up searched all the rooms and even the toilets but still showed there’s no sign of life at all.

“Kyuhyun-ah, did Jiyeon or Seohyun told you where will they be?”

“No, but we agreed that we’re going to use this ground floor as it will make us easier to escape when something happened.”

“So… something or someone either forced them to leave the building or forced them at move to the upper floor.”

“I guess we better check the upper floors then.”

“Yeah… by the way here’s for you.” I said as I gave Kyuhyun a Smith & Wesson SD40 VE which has 14+1 Rounds capacity.

“Huh? Where did you get this hyung?” Kyuhyun asked as he took the pistol.

“Found it on a dead body in one of the rooms when we checked around… It has full magazine and here some extra bullets.” I replied as I give him a pack of Bullets for the pistol “Don’t waste it!”

“But hyung… I don’t even know how to use the gun. “

“Just make sure the safety is off, aim properly and then squeeze the trigger.” I explained as I demonstrated the process.

“But…”

“You have to… there’s a lot of unforeseen situation here and you got to be prepared.”

With that Kyuhyun nodded in acknowledgement and then put the baseball bat on the floor and start getting used to the gun on his hand. We continue our search into the second floor. We moved to the second floor by using the emergency stairs as I don’t want to risk being trapped inside an elevator even if it is running.

The second floor was pretty much the same as what we saw on the first floor… messy with some occasional blood on the floors or in the wall. There’s seems to be a couple tray of food scattered on the floor and then some clothing, suitcases and some occasional backpack. Anyone who’s trying to get away from here didn’t even bother with their belonging… well who would anyway.

“We have to split up… this building is too spacious for us to search in like this. You take the left and I’ll take the right.”

“Okay, Hyung.”

“Becareful… if you find anything find and tell me first. If it’s emergency just shout for me… Okay?”

Kyuhyun then nodded his head in agreement and after that we started to move on our own path.  This apartment seems to be quite luxurious… the rooms are spacious as it holds two bedroom each. The price would be staggeringly high… I was once hoped that I could afford to buy an apartment like this.

As the time passes both Kyuhyun and I met again in which he reported that he could found nothing that could be a clue. I guess the third floor it is then… I signaled Kyuhyun to move towards the third floor. But as I reached the stair’s midsection another gunshot rang throughout the building… and with it I’m sure whoever the person who fired that gunshot is on the third floor.

I signaled Kyuhyun to follow me and then carefully went to the third floor. The third floor seems to be an entertainment and shopping section… it kind of different from the first two floors which consist of rooms only. I could saw a couple of shops and some children playground section and on the middle section there’s this empty space in circular form supported by four pillars.

I moved towards the first shop I could see and then used it as a cover as I tried to look at the midsection. I knew it! I knew I saw something or someone there. It’s Myungsoo standing in between two people and Jiyeon and Seohyun… He’s protecting Jiyeon and Seohyun. Both of them were female as they’re wearing clothes that really showed their curves… seductive type huh? The two back views seem awfully familiar to me though.

“Hyung! We got to help them!” Kyuhyun whispered to me.

“I know… but we can’t just walk in there. You go around from your side and I’m from mine… we’ll ambush them”

With that Kyuhyun immediately went on his way towards the captor while I went to mine… As I was about to reach my position I spotted another girl standing not too far from the two. I couldn’t spot her earlier due to the pillar that covering her… If Kyuhyun stormed in just like that, we’re doomed to fail for sure.

Maybe I could use this one girl as hostage to barter with them. And a couple moments later I saw Kyuhyun signaled me that he’s ready to move… and with that I told him on the count of three to take the two near Myungsoo and I’ll take the one nearest to me. I counted to three and then moved towards the girl that I saw and pumped my shotgun just to let her know that I’m holding a gun against her while Kyuhyun also managed to point the gun towards the other two girls’.

“Don’t move!” Kyuhyun exclaimed.

“Kyuhyun oppa!” Seohyun said as she looked relieved to see Kyuhyun.

“Drop down your weapon and then raise your hand above your head!” I commanded.

The girl which I pointed my shotgun rose her hand first as she didn’t bring any weapon with her. But the other two girls are definitely not dropping their gun. Well I would do the same as well if I were them… it’s the only way to maintain threat towards your opponent.

“Drop your guns and raise your hands now!” I commanded once again “And will assure you that the three of you will get out of here unharmed or else… you girls definitely going to lose one of you”

The girls definitely not listening to our threat at all… they still maintain their aim towards Myungsoo and the others.

“Let’s see now… each one of us aiming a gun towards you friend… while you guys aiming at two of my friends.” One of the girl which have a red hair said “In the worst case scenario we all going to lose two of our friends… do you really want that?”

“As you said… it’s definitely lose – lose situation here… but I guess none of us going to take the first step of putting our guns down.” Kyuhyun replied.

The girl with black hair then said “Well… not really lose – lose situation though…”

“What?” Kyuhyun asked in confusion.

“Are you even sure there are only three of us here?” The girl who became my hostage asked.

“Put your guns down or I’ll shoot this guy!” A familiar girl’s voice rang “Do it now! Or I swear I’ll shoot him!”

All of us were shocked when we heard another voice threating us… There’s one other girl besides these three. There are four of them here! Damn I didn’t see this coming, I’ve miss calculated the situation here. But something seems awfully familiar… the fourth girl’s voice… It’s seems very familiar.... could it be?