I miss everything we do

Half a Heart

Jessica stared at the two red dots slowly appearing on the pregnancy test.

“No, no no no, no,” her tears started making their way down her cheeks as she clutched tighter on the offending plastic. She’s only a week away from graduating high school and here she is, pregnant. With her best friend’s child. Kim. Taeyeon. Who, by the way, had been avoiding her like the plague for weeks now.

She loosened up in one night and this is what she got herself into. Stupid party. She’s never going to parties anymore.

“Unnie? Are you okay?”

Jessica opened the door almost immediately when she heard her younger sister’s voice. She threw herself into Krystal, startling the younger girl but hugged her in return nonetheless.

“Unnie, what’s wrong?” Krystal’s eyes peeked over her sister’s shoulder -inside the bathroom- as she rubbed her sister’s back. fell agape when she saw the pregnancy test kit on the sink.

“U-unnie.. y-you’re preg—nant?”

Jessica cried louder, body shaking violently as she let out all the tears she could probably cry.

“W-who’s the father?” Krystal said in a shaky voice. “Does he know?”

Jessica shook her head and Krystal pushed her away from her, looking at her sister incredulously.

“I-It’s Taeyeon.. I-I can’t.. he’s with T-Tiffany.. I can’t ruin their relationship. I don’t want to. Tiffany’s all he got.”

Krystal shook her head. “Whoever he’s with, he should take care of his responsibility.”

“Soojung, please, no. I-I’ll just tell Mom and Dad it was a random guy at the party.”

Krystal stomped her feet, not liking what her sister was blabbering about, and before Jessica could say another word, Krystal was already on her way to their parents’ room.

Jessica kneeled in their living room, head hung low as her parents sat on the couch in front of her. Krystal was beside her, ready to catch her if ever anything happens.

“I am so disappointed with you, Sooyeon,” their father spoke in a stern voice that made the hairs on Jessica’s nape rise.

“I-I’m sorry,” she said in a very low voice.

“Who’s the father?” her mother’s voice croaked and Jessica didn’t have to look up to know the woman was crying. It tore her heart. She never imagined the day would come that she’ll be the reason for her mother’s pain.

“Some guy—“

“Taeyeon oppa.” Krystal cut Jessica off and the latter could only curse under her breath. This was not what she planned.

Their father jolted up from the couch. “Taeyeon? Kim Taeyeon?” asked him, incredulity evident in his voice.

“Yes, Dad.” Krystal answered once again and Jessica feels her world crumbling down. Knowing her father, the man would never let things be.

“I’m calling his father,” their father announced, taking his phone out of his pocket and Jessica immediately stood up. “This is unacceptable.”

“Dad, please,” Jessica pleaded with teary eyes. “Don’t call his father. I-I’ll talk to Taeyeon about this.”

Mr. Jung clenched his jaw, fingers itching to dial his friend’s number. Eventually, he gave in to his daughter’s desperate plea before he enveloped Jessica in a tight hug.

Jessica broke down into her father’s arms once again, clutching his shirt in a vice-like grip. Soon, she felt his father’s big hand rubbing her back as he whispered an assuring ‘it’s okay, sweetheart’.

**

“Taeyeon,” Jessica held Taeyeon by the wrist, pulling him inside a secluded classroom. They were practicing for the graduation program and after thinking through the situation, she decided she would tell Taeyeon.

He relaxed but didn’t dare to look at her. Jessica sighed.

“I’m pregnant,” she said, hanging her head low as if she was embarrassed.

Taeyeon finally looked up, staring at the crown of Jessica’s head with wide eyes and a blank mind as his fears came to life.

“And you’re the father,” Jessica added when she got no reaction from Taeyeon.

Taeyeon stood there, neither moving nor speaking. He was at a loss for words.

“You are what?” A voice from behind Taeyeon had both his and Jessica’s blood draining. Jessica’s heart pounded loud against her chest.

“F-Fany,” Taeyeon finally spoke, turning to face his girlfriend.

“Please tell me what I heard wasn’t true,” Tiffany crossed her arms over her chest. A defensive stance.

“I-I can explain, Fany—“

“I want Jessica to explain,” Tiffany looked over the trembling Jessica. “Speak,” she said in an authoritative voice.

Jessica fumbled with her school I.D., voice seemingly lost at the moment.

“Is it true? Did Taeyeon get you pregnant?”

Jessica nodded her head, avoiding Tiffany’s piercing gaze.

“I trusted you,” Tiffany said accusingly, voice croaking as tears rolled down her cheeks. “And all you did was ruin me and Taeyeon. You planned this, didn’t you?”

Jessica’s heart broke at the accusation. She never planned anything. Yes, she loves Taeyeon since she was six, but that didn’t mean she wanted to steal Taeyeon from Tiffany. No, she was genuinely happy for Taeyeon when he finally found someone he loves, despite the nagging pain in her chest.

Tiffany walked towards Jessica, hand raised to land a slap on the crying girl’s cheek. Taeyeon saw what his girlfriend was about to do and he instantly blocked Jessica away from Tiffany, receiving the hard slap instead.

“If there’s anyone to blame, it should be me. Sica didn’t do anything,” he said as he recovered from the pain on his cheek. That would definitely leave a mark.

Tiffany pushed him away, resulting for him to stumble back to Jessica. He protectively held Jessica so the girl wouldn’t fall.

“Sica, are okay?” he asked, totally ignoring his raging girlfriend. Tiffany’s wrath would have to wait, he needs Jessica and their baby to be okay.

Jessica nods her head, taking Taeyeon’s hands off of her before running out of the room.

“Sica!” Taeyeon was about to follow her when Tiffany stopped him.

“If you get out of this room right now, we are through. You’re never going to see me again.”

Taeyeon didn’t have to think twice, he knew what he wanted to do.

“I’m sorry, Fany,” he shook his head before running after his best friend.

**

The insistent ringing of her phone woke Jessica up. With closed eyes, she reached for the bedside drawer and her hand instantly came in contact with the device.

“Hello?” she let out in a groggy voice without looking at the caller I.D.

“Hey,” the caller said.

“Hyo? Is this you?” Jessica opened her eyes and pulled the device away from her ear to look at the caller I.D. It was Taeyeon’s cousin.

“Is everything okay?” Jessica sat up on her bed before moving out, slipping on her slippers as she walked to her closet, pulling out a pair of jeans and a shirt.

“Oh, yeah, everything’s fine. I just—Taeyeon’s drinking again. He might pass out anytime soon and I can’t send him home later. I still need to run the bar till four.”

“Oh, okay. I’ll be right there.”

“Sica?”

Jessica stopped in slipping in her jeans as she waits for Hyoyeon to continue.

“Don’t ever give up on Taeyeon, okay?”

Jessica smiled. She already vowed on that in front of the altar.

“I won’t, don’t worry.”

**

Taeyeon gulped down the golden brown liquid from his glass, his throat burning from the taste but he was used to that. He already promised his father that he’ll stop drinking but this was the only way he could get his mind off of things. Seven years later and he still feel guilty towards Jessica and Tiffany. He broke Tiffany’s heart while he ruined Jessica’s life, taking away her chance of finding her Mister Right, although it was ridiculous imagining Jessica in another man’s arms. Jessica was his best friend, girlfriend and wife rolled into. And he feels guilty because the most important woman in his life was trapped in a life she didn’t want.

But having Hyunoo -though they weren’t that close- was a constant reminder that he did the right thing. And though he didn’t like hurting Tiffany, he’s actually happy he decided to run after Jessica that day.

But he could never lie. He misses Tiffany.

“Strawberry Daiquiri, please.”

Taeyeon whipped his head to his right almost instantly. Even in his drunken state, he could still recognize the voice. It was etched in his mind.

You’re never going to see me again.

And right there, sitting on the bar stool beside him was Tiffany. The person he’s been longing to see.

“Fa—Tiffany?”

The girl in pink dress turned to look at Taeyeon and her eyes immediately widened at the recognition. Seven years hadn’t really done much change in Taeyeon’s face. It was the same child-like face only with stubbles.

“Oh my gosh! Tae-tae!” Tiffany smiled. It was still the same killer smile.

“How are you?” she asked before looking around. “Where’s Jessica?”

Taeyeon frowned, biting his lower lip as he slowly sobered up. Tiffany still had the same smile and the same cheerfulness in her but there was something missing and Taeyeon frowned at the realization. His heart doesn’t flutter anymore when Tiffany speaks. There was no spark anymore. No more excitement.

“I’m fine and Sica is sleeping.. a-at home.”

Tiffany nods, taking a sip from her drink.

“When did you came back?” Taeyeon asked, not wanting the conversation to end there.

“Two weeks ago,” Tiffany said. “And I’m leaving the day after tomorrow.”

Taeyeon nods his head.

“So, how is, uhm—“

“Hyunoo,” Taeyeon said.

“Right. Hyunoo. How is he?”

Taeyeon unconsciously smiled as the image off his son reprimanding his nanny the day Jessica came back from New York appeared on his mind. He used to act like that when he wanted his mother’s attention back when he was still a kid, too.

“He’s fine. He’s all grown up now. Jessica really did a great job in raising him,” he smiled once more, thinking about Jessica.

Tiffany studied him for a moment before commenting, “So I take it as everything’s fine between the two of you?”

Taeyeon furrowed his brows at Tiffany before nodding his head.

“Why would you ask that?” he said and gulped down another shot of the whiskey.

“Well,” Tiffany shifted on her seat. “I just heard that things.. aren’t really working out for the both of you.”

Taeyeon laughed dryly.

“Everything’s fine between me and Jessica,” he lied although he knew it wasn’t really the case. Jessica was trapped with him. He was the reason why Jessica couldn’t be with somebody she loves.

“I always knew you guys were made for each other,” Tiffany laughed, covering . “I’ve always felt the connection between you two that’s why always get jealous with Jessica before.”

Taeyeon shook his head, a coy grin dancing along his lips.

“Tiffany, listen,” Taeyeon looked deep into Tiffany’s eyes amidst the dim light. “I’m sorry. About what happened in high school, I’m sorry.”

Tiffany smiled kindly at Taeyeon. “Can I ask you something?”

Taeyeon nods his head. It was the least he could do for Tiffany.

“If you were to repeat the past,” Tiffany paused, collecting herself. “Would you still go after Jessica or stay with me? Would you change anything?”

Taeyeon thought about the question and Tiffany waited patiently. What if he stayed with Tiffany that day? Could he rid himself of the guilt he was feeling towards Jessica? But would he be as happy as he is now whenever he looks at his son’s face?

His mind replayed Jessica’s face on the day of their wedding. She was smiling amidst her tears. She looked so perfect in her wedding dress despite the bump in her tummy. She looked so perfect beside Taeyeon.

Taeyeon unconsciously his lips, remembering how soft Jessica’s lips felt against his when the priest said, “You may now kiss the bride.”

His heart doesn’t flutter whenever he’s with Jessica but just the sight of her soothes his mind and heart everytime.

He smiled once more. A sweet, sweet, smile.

“I think I got my answer now,” Tiffany said, climbing down the bar stool. “Don’t ever let her go, Tae-tae.”

Taeyeon looked at her with questioning eyes before he was pulled into a hug.

“It was good seeing you,” Tiffany said. “And don’t worry, I already forgave you.”

Letting go of each other, Taeyeon caught the sight of the diamond ring in Tiffany’s fourth finger.

“You’re engaged?” he asked.

Tiffany chuckled, “Yep. With Kwon Yuri. Remember him?”

Taeyeon laughed. “Really? But you used to hate him!”

“That’s just how destiny plays out, don’t you think?”

“Destiny,” Taeyeon scoffed. “There’s no such thing.”

**

“Sica!” Hyoyeon waved at the woman who was making her way to the entrance of the bar.

“Where is he?” Jessica said in a worried voice.

“In the bar. I think he might have passed out by now.”

“Let’s go,” Jessica pulled Hyoyeon with her, pushing the door open.

Her eyes immediately traveled to the bar as soon as they stood inside. She saw Taeyeon engrossed in a conversation with a woman. Jessica stared at the girl’s back, finding the figure familiar.

Her heart ached upon recognizing the stranger.

Hyoyeon’s mouth fell open. “T-That’s—“

“Tiffany,” Jessica whispered, her heart breaking at the sight before her eyes. Her husband and his ex-girlfriend -whom Jessica knows Taeyeon loves so much- where hugging and laughing. It was too much to see but she can’t seem to tear her eyes away.

Hyoyeon turned Jessica around, pushing her by the shoulders until they were out of the bar again. “Give me your keys,” she said but Jessica didn’t budge.

Huffing, she tapped Jessica pockets before finally finding the car keys. She dragged the lifeless Jessica to her car, sat her inside the passenger seat before sitting on the driver’s seat and driving.

“He’s an idiot. I can’t believe he did this,” Hyoyeon let out between gritted teeth. She was mad at her cousin.

Jessica cried silently inside the car, muffling her sobs with the sleeve of her cardigan.

“Look,” Hyoyeon said, stopping in front of Taeyeon and Jessica’s house before killing the engine.

Jessica raised her hand, signaling Hyoyeon to stop.

“I-I know I said I won’t give up,” Jessica sniffled. “But I think I need to let Taeyeon go now, it wouldn’t be right if I hold him back.”

Hyoyeon shook her head, ready to counter Jessica’s statement but the latter didn’t let her.

“Hyo, your cousin had gone through a lot since Tiffany left him,” Jessica took in a deep breath. “I think this is the least I could do for him.”

Jessica immediately got out of the car and briskly walked towards their front door, leaving Hyoyeon outside. Leaving reality behind as she locked the door.

She took out her phone and dialed her sister’s number.

“Krys, can you pick me and Hyunoo tomorrow, please?”

“What happened?” Krystal answered in a groggy voice.

“N-nothing happened.. I just – I miss you. Can I spend the weekend with you?”

She heard Krystal chortle on the line and it eased Jessica’s heart a little.

“You’re so random!” Krystal said. “But okay, I’ll pick you up at nine?”

“No, pick us up at five.”

“That early?”

“Yes, please.”

“Okay, see you tomorrow.”

After ending the call, Jessica went straight to her son’s room, hugging the sleeping boy while she cried herself to sleep.

 

 

----

Adding two more parts later. Sorry wasn't able to finish writing the remaining parts OTL