Chapter 2

200 Days With Jung Jinyoung

 

Chapter 2; JJY

February 1st 2014. 7.33pm.

" Hello! Dahae! How are you??? I have been busy with work. Ah. I'm doing nighty duty today..."- JJY. 7.33pm

It's been a week since you last send a message to this JJY guy. You tried going back to the past message history to dig out his name from the first message that he had sent you.

" Jung Jinyoung... Ah! Jung Jinyoung. Yeah! Puppy with crown guy!" 

A smile gradually etched on your face, as if happy that he remembered you even though you didn't reply to his message a week ago.

You slowly stared at the message and read it back again. ' Nighty duty'? You instantly burst into a bundle of laughter and hastily typed a reply. It was such a cute mistake so you decided to let him off the hook and hey, which guy would say 'Nighty duty' except for JJY? 

" Hello Jinyoung! I'm fine thank you! How are you? Nighty duty? What do you work as? "- Song Dahae. 7.35pm

After a few messages back and forth, you learnt that Jinyoung worked at a convenient store that his mother owned. Unfortunately, since it was the winter holiday, he had been assigned by his mother to work from 9pm to 9am on Mondays, Thursdays and Saturdays. It was usually during this timing that he would go online to talk with you without fail. 

Time would fly like crazy when talking to this guy. He was sweet, kind yet mysterious. He had a charming vibe that made you curious about his personal life. So far, he had told you about his favourite color. Jinyoung particularly loved the color 'Teal', it was unusual but he had a pretty good reason.

" I like Teal color because it reminds me of Winter! I always feel down during winter!" -JJY. 23:59pm

You raised your eyebrows as you scrutinized the message. How unique. Most people would say 'White' reminded them of Winter, you knew you would. 

Jinyoung had a certain charm to his writing. Unlike most guys, he seemed too innocent and naive for his own good. Was it probably because of his inability to express himself in English? His answers were always simple and easy to understand. It wasn't until he said for himself that he was indeed a simple guy. He didn't like complicated thoughts.

" I almost don't like complicated thinkings. I'm a simple guy I think." -JJY 01:08am

For the first time in the conversation, you didn't want to end it. After replying to his message, you waited for a good 30 minutes. There was still no reply. His status was still online. You bit the sides of your lips and began tapping the table repeatedly. You were anxious to get a reply from him.

Was he busy talking with another person? Did you offend him? Or did he simply disappear like how those other people did? Those thoughts raced through your mind as you stared into the bright screen.

" Ah! I'm sorry! I fell asleep! I couldn't hold back my sleep... I'm very sorry...what are you doing now?" -JJY 03:06am

 

The night grew deeper and Jinyoung was unaware of the fact that you were fast asleep with your head on the table. 

" She must have fallen asleep while waiting for me... or maybe she's just busy replying to another person..."

Jinyoung got the first part right for sure. While waiting for a reply, he looked around the store and lazily walked towards the snack aisle. He traced his long fingers against all of the brands and mumbled the names of the brands softly under his breath.

" Lotte, Nongshim, Nestle, Otteugi..." 

Once in a while, Jinyoung would look up and try to memorize the names of the brands. Each time he got the names correct, he would break out in small laughters and nod his head, which meant that he was impressed by himself for being such a fast-learner. 

" Wow~ When did I become so smart? I should be proud of myself! "

He gave himself a pat on the shoulder and sheepishly smiled to himself again. He happily skipped back to the front counter and stopped in his tracks as soon as he saw a girl staring back at him. He pulled his cap closer to his eyes and cleared his throat, as if embarrassed by his earlier actions.

" Umm... excuse me... do you sell Sprite here?"

Jinyoung raised his eyebrows and bit his lips... He was sure he had seen that brand somewhere but where?

" Uh... they sell those at the big markets. To the left, we sell cider..."

" Oh... well...that's okay. Thanks! "

He looked up at the watch that was set up behind him. It was 3:30 am. What kind of girl would go out at such an unearthly timing to just get a can of Sprite? She wouldn't even buy the Cider. Jinyoung knew how serious a craving was. He remembered the last time his mom was pregnant with his little sister and she demanded his dad to get her a watermelon eventhough it was winter! 

" Sprite... hmm. Let's see if I can get the stock for that..." Jinyoung tore a piece of paper and swiftly wrote the brand 'Sprite' on it.

He was about to inform the young lady that he would get some stock for her but before he could even do that, she was already gone. He rushed forward to the entrance of the store to see if he could catch up with her but she was long gone... 

Jinyoung crumpled the paper in his hands and sighed. If only he had been a little bit more helpful...

" 6 more hours to go... so cold! Is it winter already? "

He pulled himself to the front counter and heavily sighed again. It was time to manage 'finances'. His eyes glistened as he opened the cash register, it was quite plentiful for such a dull day. His mom would be happy.

" 1000won....5000won... OH. A message! "

Jinyoung's eyes brightened up as soon as he saw a message from you on his phone which was just next to the cash register. He placed everything aside and immediately read it.

" I'm doing nothing. Just came back home from a short walk. Haha..." - Song Dahae.

He scoffed at the message and was glad that you were still awake. Maybe, that girl earlier on wasn't the only one who would go out at such an unearthly timing. Just like that, the both of you continued to talk to each other.

For the first time in so many months, you fell asleep without even having to complain to your poster. For Jinyoung, he didn't even realize how cold the mornings were as he talked to you nor did he feel tired at all after his 'nighty duty'. Autumn was ending, Winter was starting.

 

 

Author's note: Thank you for subscribing! <3~