Chapter One

Your Rock, Your Reality

Lyric walked in a meadow of beautiful flowers taking the time to stop and admire each one. It was peaceful, so peaceful that she figured this must be her heaven. She felt nothing but bliss and happiness as she wandered the field. She could hear rabbits hopping through the grass below her and the birds chirping above. She closed her eyes and started to sing. The rhythm took over her body, making her dance. Lyric’s toes sprung off the warm ground and she spun in the air. If things were this incomplex, she was glad she escaped her life. She made her way towards a willow tree and sat under its long branches.

 

Sounds of nature faded into the constant slow beating of a heart monitor. Lyric was confused and panicked. Her eyes opened wide and explored the room. It was plain with no signs of other people. A million questions ran through her mind. Where am I? Why am I here? Why aren’t I dead? She realized that her suicide attempt failed and anxiety fled into her. She had no idea how she could face this. She tried to sit up, but with no avail she fell back onto the mattress. There’s another question, why can’t I move? Her heart was now racing, and the heart monitor’s beeping got louder. She did the only thing she could and screamed.

Outside of the hospital room Chanyeol was waiting on Baekhyun and Lyric’s parents to return from buying ‘get well soon’ gifts.  Even with his earphones in, he heard a shrill scream. He immediately reached for the doorknob and ran into Lyric’s room. Several doctors and nurses followed him making their way to her. “Stay back,” one of the nurses ordered him. Chanyeol’s eyes were getting teary due to the site of Lyric writhing on the bed.

After the hospital staff calmed her down, they told Chanyeol that he could talk to her. He cautiously made his way towards the chair beside her bed. He looked down at his hands while trying to figure out what to say. This was one of the few times he couldn’t say something; most of the time he just said whatever came to mind. “Hey, Chanyeol.” she whispered. He looked up and a tear escaped his eyes. He didn’t want to cry around her; the doctors told him he needed to try to not cause an emotional scene with her right now.

“Hey, how are you feeling?” he asked her. She blinked a few times and nibbled at her lip. “Confused and slightly in pain. But relieved that you’re here.” she replied while stretching out her arms, asking for a hug. Chanyeol couldn’t hold it in anymore. He hugged her and choked, “No, I’m relieved you’re here. I was so worried Lyric, I was so..”

Before he could finish his sentence, Lyric’s parents and Baekhyun walked in the door holding lots of little gifts. They gave the abundance of chocolate, flowers, and cards to her. There wasn’t a dry eye in the room as everyone hugged each other. No one brought up the event that happened five days ago because they didn’t want to upset Lyric. They would all be going to therapy together in a few days anyways. Chanyeol, in an attempt to keep the mood cheerful, told happy stories of their previous years. After a while of chatting, Lyric announced that she wanted to walk around and tried to sit up. She made frustrated sounds as she kept falling back down. Baekhyun and Chanyeol figured that meant it was time for them to leave, so her parents could explain her situation to her.

Waiting outside Chanyeol and Baekhyun didn’t say a thing because neither of them could put how they felt into words. Their gaze went from the ground to the door as they heard Lyric wail, “What?!”

Baekhyun took in a deep breath and closed his eyes. He knew she would react like this. It’s how anyone would react if they found out that they were paralyzed from the waist down.