c01: First Meeting

This Everlasting Devotion

[YEAR 34XX]

“Why didn’t you come to my place yesterday?” a beautiful lady asked with disappointment in her voice as she approached a figure from behind. “I even took a long time to prepare you the perfect dinner that you have been asking for!”

The figure was as stunning as a sculpted model as he turned around. His hair was a beautiful brown, like those of the fallen leaves in the mid-autumn season. His sharp profile stood out as his face turned, slowly revealing beautiful features that almost seemed too good to be true. His almond-shaped eyes had a similar shade of brown though they were much deeper. Accompanied with his sharp nose and flourished, plumpy lips, the man was without a doubt drop dead gorgeous. His poker face that gave off a mysterious and distant aura instantly disappeared as a smile spread, unveiling his cheeky snaggletooth. It was almost as if one was watching a hunting wolf turning into an adorable puppy. 

The man flashed her an apologetic smile as he attempted to explain his absence. “Haha... Sorry, my dear, I was—” 

“Oh, please, he would never come to your place.” Another beautiful woman came from the opposite direction and mocked the previous lady. “He knows better than that! Who knows what spell you have cast on the food?”

“What did you say?! How dare you!” 

“Ladies! Please, don’t fight—” The handsome man tried to calm the two down, only to be interrupted yet again by another lady approaching from behind.

“Oh dear... would you just look at that! Two goddesses resorting to petty violence like children. How immature, don't you agree?” She then linked arms lovingly with the man. Pressing her full chest on his muscular arm, she whispered seductively in his ears. “How about we leave those two alone and go somewhere quiet? Just the two of us…” She looked at him with suggestive eyes, as her playful index finger twirled around the figure’s masculine chest. Unlike the other two goddesses, her beauty had a mature touch to it as she smiled seductively. 

The man smirked amusingly. His eyes darkened, indicating that he was indeed interested in her offer. After all, it takes a wolf to play with another wolf. One should not be fool by his youthful face. He was still a man at heart. 

“Well, that sounds like—”

“Move!” A small, girlish goddess shoved the mature goddess off the man’s body and pouted sulkily. It was almost as if she had caught her boyfriend flirting with other women with charms that she didn't possess. 

“Woohyun oppa~ Where have you been? I was looking for you all over the place. Didn’t you promise me that you would me to the party today?” she said as she took one of his large hands into hers and swung it back and forth angrily. Her small features were irresistibly cute, shooting off an aura that made people want to keep her close and protect her from all harm. 

“Oh really? Sorry, I was with—” 

“He was with me!” Yet another beautiful lady appeared with an overwhelming confidence and a glamorous body. “Hah! You two have no chances with him. You all are no different from those two, who are fighting over there.” She motioned her hand as if to shoo them away. “Run along now. Go and play elsewhere like good children would and don’t bother us adults.”

“Oh please! You’re just a who gives her body to any man who will satisfy her.” Another young looking girl arrived laughing in a mocking tone. 

“YA! How dare you!”

“Hyunnie, why don’t we go while those two are—” Then came an older woman, resting her head on his shoulder as she entertained herself with the amusing scene. It was as if the fact that the man belonging to her was a matter of course, while the others who were fighting one another were merely being delusional. 

As more and more goddesses arrived one after another, the situation had escalated beyond control. Yet the root of it all, the handsome man, decided to run away instead of taking responsibility. 

“Erhm…” He swiftly stepped away from the crowd. “I’m sorry but I need to go somewhere. See you all later!” The man flashed the goddesses a dazzling smile before sprinting away. 

“Huh? H-Hey, wait for me!”

“Oppa! Where are you going?” 

“Ya–” 

“WOOHYUN!!!”

Ha. Not a chance. You women are scary as hell. 

Woohyun thought as he ran away without looking back. But who was he to criticize them? After all, such bewildered scenes would not have happened in Paradise if the God of Light himself wasn't playing around as much as he had. Nonetheless, being a notorious player was not the only reason why he was popular. Rather, it was his kind and considerate nature that made him loved by everyone, gods and goddesses alike. However, no one is perfect. The narcissistic God of Light’s flirtatious behaviour gave him far more troubles than he had asked for whenever he got involved with all sort of goddesses. It was as if there was no woman he couldn't conquer. Even if he failed on rare occasions, it was often because they were already taken and decided to remain faithful to their other half. In other words, there had yet to be a goddess that dislikes him. Hence, Woohyun had always disregarded his friends' advice to act wisely but today – for the very first time – he felt like he should have listened as he ran away from the mob of goddesses. 

Maybe I should avoid all ceremonies like the Inheritance Party from now on. Woohyun thought after he slowed down, gasping for air. He looked around cautiously, daring not to stop completely as he walked aimlessly in the Holy Palace. 

The Inheritance Party, unlike its name, was not actually a party. It was one of the three most important events in Paradise held in the Holy Palace when The Great will show the gods and goddesses who their successor is. The successors, like the gods themselves, were among the Chosen Souls, assigned to be the next generation of gods. The purpose of the Inheritance Party, a rather unfitting name chosen by The Great, was so that the gods and goddesses could watch over them during their last human life. It was said that the personality one holds during this human life would continue on in their god's life. For this reason, it was important that the gods made sure that their successor's personality doesn't become too twisted. However, in reality, no one really bothered. 

Woohyun quietly slipped into the crowd, looking around half in caution and half in excitement. Woohyun didn't really care about his successor but he was still interested to know who this person was. A silly conversation with his fellow gods had sparked his competitiveness.
 

“Hey, who do you think your successor is?” 

“I hope mine is a beautiful princess.” The god smiled ertedly. 

“Urgh can you not think of anything but girls?” Another god rolled his eyes then turned to Woohyun. “What about you?” 

Woohyun shrugged. “Not interested.” 

“It would be hella funny if his successor is a super nerdy and antisocial kid.” One of them laughed at the idea. 

Woohyun frowned. “Stop it. That's not funny.” 

However, his reaction only fueled the fire as his friends continued to make fun of him by demeaning his successors. 

“You bastards! Fine, I'll show you that my successor is the best in the world!” Woohyun shouted in anger.
 

And thus, here he was, anxiously waiting for the time when he will meet his successor. Woohyun had made a bet that should his successor social standing was lower than his friends’ successors, he had to grant their wish. 

Even if I lose, I bet they will just ask for a date with the goddesses or something. Those dumb bastards... Woohyun thought as he considered the possibility of losing the bet. 

He sighed as he started to look around, beginning to choose targets for his friends in case the worst scenario happened. It didn't take him long until he noticed an unfamiliar goddess amongst the sea of people. She was a beauty that he had never seen before. Her long, wavy dark hair flowing with every stride she took. A glimpse of her sharp violet eyes could be seen as she turned her head side to side, seemingly looking for someone or something. ​​​Very serene yet cold-hearted, she gave off such a fierce, superior aura such that everyone around her cannot help but stare in awe and fear. Though attractive, no one dared to come near her, for she was the infamous Goddess of Death, Jieun. A certain outburst of power in the past had immediately made her the strongest goddess even before she was one. Nonetheless, being the carefree playboy that Woohyun was, power ranking didn’t matter to him when courting a lady. As long as the opposite gender had considerably good looks, he would be satisfied. But don’t mistake him for some weakling, for he himself was also one of the strongest gods.

Jieun the Goddess of Death had never been seen at any gathering, be it formal or informal. This was the first time she had shown up, for this was the Inheritance party, one that no god shall miss for whatever excuses; otherwise, they would face The Great’s fearsome wrath. The very first time Woohyun landed his eyes on her, his heart told him that he should not miss this chance or he would regret it. With just that in mind, the skirt chaser wasted no time chasing after her figure in the midst of the crowd. Suddenly, the search for a date for his friends turned into a search for himself. 

Just a bit more, he thought as he reached his hand out. One more step... there!

The moment Woohyun managed to grab her hand, Jieun turned around, facing him with a cold stare that Woohyun was not expecting. No goddess had ever given him such a cold shoulder. A chill ran down Woohyun’s spine when he looked her in the eyes, but that only made the man more thrilled about her. The Goddess of Death simply shrugged him off after giving him her death glare and promptly walked away. Woohyun chuckled to himself deviously as he quickly followed her. 

“Aigoo... that was rude of me, to just grab a lady’s hand like that,” Woohyun said sheepishly after he had caught up with her. He then quickly cut in front of her path, forcing Jieun to pay attention to him. “Allow me to introduce myself. I’m Woohyun, the God of Light.” Woohyun brought out his killer smile after a small bow, but even that hardly earned a reaction from the lady. Jieun shot him an icy look, then continued on her way.

Not so easy, huh? But that makes this more fun to play with. Woohyun smirked as he chased after Jieun once again.

“Don’t you know it’s common sense and courtesy to introduce yourself after someone else does?” Woohyun asked. “You seem to be in a hurry. Where are you heading?” Not surprisingly, all he received in response was silence.

“Aw, come on, baby, talk to me! Humming is fine too, you know. Just don’t be so quiet. It’s scary!” Woohyun pouted cutely. However, that only got him yet another moment of silence.

“Hey, what is your type of guy? A strong and reliable guy? Or someone completely opposite to compliment your ridiculously cold nature? I can be both, so pick one!” The God of Light continued the conversation confidently by himself, completely disregarding the fact that Jieun had hardly even glanced at him. 

You might be cold to me now, but give it a little time and you will be head over heels for me. I’ll make you regret ignoring me. Woohyun declared to himself as he watched at Jieun’s cold-shouldered act.

“Oh yeah, why don’t we get to know each other more? I’ll start first, but you definitely have to respond to me this time. My name is Woohyun. I like red and other bright colours in general. I—”

His monologue was suddenly interrupted by a slender hand grabbing onto his throat hard, threatening to take his life at any moment. 

Finally got her attention. Woohyun was hardly afraid; instead, he was smiling.

“I don’t care who you are and what you like. Just know this. I hate flirty, skirt-chasing guys like you. As long as the target is somewhat attractive, you will dive in for her, and then immediately get bored once you obtain her. I won’t be one of them. You don’t know me,” Jieun said in a very serious tone.

“Hah. I dare you. Did I not say it before? I am the God of Light. Light, not life. You, Jieun, are God of Death. Death can’t kill Light.” Woohyun challenged her with confidence.

Upon hearing his words, Jieun simply stared at him meaningfully. Her eyes were as cold as ever, but for some reason, Woohyun could see the sadness in her eyes for a split of a second. After a moment of silence, Jieun smirked as she dug her fingers into his neck hard. 

“You’ve got guts, boy.” Her eyes glinted murderously as she lifted him off the ground as though he was a doll.

Woohyun winced at the pain as he dangled in the air. His breaths were getting shorter and shorter, but that didn't stop him from talking back. “I’m just stating common sense. I don’t understand why people are so scared of you just because you’re Death. As long as they are not Life, they will be fine, won’t they?”

Jieun scoffed, dropping the God of Light onto the ground. Woohyun barely caught his footing when he was released. Soothing his throat that was reddened with fingernail marks, Woohyun dramatically gasped for precious air. This had taken him by surprise. He had been strangled by goddesses in many different ways – be it with a naughty whip or with their sheer body – but to be strangled in such a violent ways like this was the first. 

“Like I said, you don’t know me. If you did, you would know what I am capable of.” Jieun began to walk towards the balcony where the doors were slightly open, indicating that someone was already out there. “And my relationship status.” She pushed the door open and turned to the left.

“Your relationship status?” Woohyun repeated in confusion as he blindly followed her from behind. “What do you mean…?” 

His voice trailed off at the sight before him. At the end of the balcony, in a dark corner, was a certain figure, looking out into the darkness with his elbows resting on the handrail. As he heard footsteps approaching, he slowly turned around. Woohyun couldn’t turn his eyes away from the figure he saw, even though he could barely see what the latter actually looked like. There was just something about this stranger that made him speechless, and his heart ached for a split of a moment. It felt like he was losing his breath.

“Let me introduce him to you, Woohyun. This is Sunggyu, God of Darkness. My fiancé.”

God of Darkness. His opposite element. The one he must avoid at all costs.

Woohyun’s trail of thought was processing at a ridiculously slow pace, as he repeated the information bit by bit.

Fiancé. His lifetime enemy was a step ahead of him. The girl was already taken.

Woohyun frowned at the thought, but that didn’t mean he would give up. He had always hated losing. When the target was taken, that only made him work harder and become more determined to steal the girl from her man.

Sunggyu. 

Hearing that name made Woohyun feel as if every emotion he carried inside him was about to burst out at any moment. What was this feeling? Could it be—

“It’s a bit dark, isn’t it? Come on, Sunggyu oppa. Show him your face and do me a favour by chasing him away, will you?” Jieun said in a gentle tone, contradicting to her harsh words.

“Oh, a guy is courting you? And he followed you for this long? Interesting...” The familiarity in the voice sent shivers down Woohyun’s spine. “For you to ask me for help, he must be quite persistent.”

“Tell me about it. Ugh!” Jieun rolled her eyes in annoyance and crossed her arms, impatiently tapping her feet.

Why is his voice so familiar? Have I met him before? Woohyun asked himself, slightly panicking because of the emotions swelling within him. Despite his efforts to keep cool, he could feel his heart racing a little as the figure stepped closer to him.

When the figure emerged under the moonlight, his fair skin glowed brightly as his full-length black cape fluttered in the night breeze. The pale shade of his skin made it seemed as though he was already dead. In contrast to his ghostly complexion, his hair was pitch-black like the universe. Standing in the dark corner of the balcony, if it wasn't for the moon shining on him, Woohyun wouldn't have noticed the existence of his hair at all. Even his light grey eyes seemed as though the darkness had engulfed them. Unlike Woohyun, his eyes were smaller and slightly slanted. His long fringe cast a shadow over his eyes thus making them seemed more deep and enigmatic. It was these pair of eyes that caught Woohyun's attention as he stood there speechless. It felt as if time had frozen when the two of them looked each other in the eyes. It was the first time they had met ever since they came to Paradise as gods, yet it felt like they had already known each other for ages. 

Suddenly, a piece of memory shot through Woohyun's head like he was watching a hazy, poorly made video.
 

On the lake’s surface was the reflection of the full moon. Looking up one could see millions of stars surrounding the bright moon. Not too far from the lake, two figures could be seen sitting by the cliff. 

“You already know, didn't you? About my special body,” said one of the figures. 
 

Suddenly, Woohyun could felt a sharp pain across his head, causing the flashback to stop abruptly. Holding onto his head, Woohyun whined from the pain as he tried to recall the faces of the figures he had seen in the abrupt flashback but everything was but a blurred mess. 

What was that?! Another piece of memory? – he pondered, slightly bewildered by what he had seen – But this… No, it doesn't match. 

“Are you alright, Woohyun?” Sunggyu asked, disrupting Woohyun's thought. He unconsciously reached out his hand to the distressed Woohyun, but it was immediately brushed off. His eyes widened slightly in surprise for a second before pulling back his hand. He hadn't expected to be rejected so coldly. 

“I-I’m alright. Thank you for your concern. I just… I'm having a small headache. That's all,” Woohyun answered in an apologetic tone. He needed some time to process what he had just seen. Sunggyu’s sudden approach had startled him quite a bit. The God of Light didn't mean to act so rudely like that. 

“Well then, I hope you will recover from the headache soon. Now if you will excuse us, we have a party to attend to.” Sunggyu looked at Woohyun sternly as he pulled Jieun close to him by the waist and lead her away. Jieun smiled at his affectionate action.

The sight of Sunggyu holding Jieun by the waist was causing Woohyun's heart to throb painfully. Was it jealousy? Was he jealous that Sunggyu had Jieun? Before he even realized, Woohyun’s body began to act on its own as he spun around and grabbed Sunggyu’s hand desperately before the two of them entered the main hall.

It was a simple hand-to-hand skin contact, yet Woohyun could feel the electricity buzzing from the spot throughout his entire body. Little did he know, Sunggyu did too. The sudden sensation caused Sunggyu to jerk back slightly, though his hand didn’t escape Woohyun’s grip. 

The headache instantly came back again and Woohyun began to see another series of pictures playing in his head inconsistently, like he was watching a movie that was skipping constantly. 
 

“Sunggyu!” A voice called out loudly, and soon a man could be seen at the top of the hill, waving his hand excitedly at a figure lying on the ground at the bottom of the hill.

“Finally, you’re here—”

“I’m 10 minutes late. I know. Just let me catch my breath first.”

“When will you ever make it in time for once?”

“Hehehe. Never?”
 

“—hyun. Woo— Woohyun?” Sunggyu called out to him.

Woohyun felt like his head was splitting in two with the raging headaches and blurry images. He was about to go crazy from the pain. His grip on Sunggyu’s wrist tightened unconsciously.

“Woohyun? Are you really alright?” Sunggyu asked again with concern, though one could hardly tell from the cold poker face of his. He reached out his other hand to touch Woohyun’s forehead but was brushed off once again, more harshly this time, as Woohyun let go of Sunggyu’s wrist.

“I-I’m alright.” Woohyun answered as he looked at his own hands confused. He didn't mean to react like that but his body moved on its own as if it was afraid of the other man's touch. 

“There is no need to put up a brave front, Woohyun,” Jieun said, with a scoff. “Look at you now, holding your head in pain like someone had chopped it in two.”

“Actually, that is exactly what I’m feeling right now.” Woohyun pointed out with a weak laugh.

Jieun rolled her eyes. “Let’s just go, oppa. I can’t be bothered dealing with this kind of guy anymore.” She linked arms with the God of Darkness and began to pull him away.

“A-ah wait!” Sunggyu chuckled at Jieun’s temper as he caught up with her pace.

Seeing the two of them walking away once again, Woohyun felt a certain need to call out for the God of Darkness. “Sunggyu!” 

“Yes?” Sunggyu turned back, looking at him with his cold poker face. 

“I-I know it’s weird for me to say this but…” Woohyun flustered, “I just have a feeling that I have to ask you this.”

“Go on.” 

Woohyun stared at Sunggyu's eyes for a while, not knowing what exactly that he wanted to say nor why he needed to say it. He couldn't exactly put his thoughts into words, but he was desperate. Taking a deep breath, he began to say the strange words.  

“Do you believe in second chances?”

 

 

 

 

Encounter established.

 

⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰⊱⊰

 

Sorry for the late update. I was aiming to write 2 chapters per month but I only managed to write one this month :( I value quality over fast update so at least the update will worth the long wait :P Until next time~ 

 

SUPPORT ME BY SUBSCRIBING AND UPVOTING :)

LET ME KNOW YOUR THOUGHTS OR ASK ME ANYTHING IN THE COMMENTS BELOW.