Pre-Production

Project: Cupid!

Project: Cupid!

Chapter 1 : Pre-Production


Leeteuk listened attentively to the presentation delivered by one of SME’s creative mind, Hong Mi Ran, and watched in interest at the slide show the woman presented through the projector.

“The show will be aired for eight trial episodes, and depending on the response, it might be continued on a regular basis like MBC’s We Got Married. The details could be read in the proposal you all have in your hands right now, but in short, this reality show will focus on two teams, each consisted of  a girl and a boy.”

Mi Ran took a pause as her assistant clicked on the mouse and the screen displayed the next slide. The genius planner –or so Mi Ran was often considered – continued with her explanation. “The two teams –Team A and Team B will compete against each other. The girl and the boy from Team A must work together and find ways to matchmake the girl and the boy from Team B, and vice versa. The winning team is the team who is successful in matchmaking the girl and boy from the other team.”

Shim Jae Won, SM Entertainment Performance Director, raised his hand to ask the question. “How do we determine the winning team? I mean, how do we determine which team is successfully matchmade by the other team?”

Leeteuk averted his attention back to Mi Ran, who only smilingly replied, “It will be decided by audience’s polling. The temporary result for an episode will be revealed in the beginning of the next episode.”

Jae Won asked again, “There are only going to be two teams competing against each other?”

“For the first eight trial episodes, yes, there are only going to be two teams.”

More technical questions arose: In which TV station will this show be aired? What about the sponsors? Will the show be totally scripted or will it be left upon the teams’ spontaneity? And more other questions. Leeteuk noticed how calm Mi Ran was in answering each of the questions. He found himself getting excited. As the leader of Super Junior, Leeteuk was chosen to be his group’s representative in this show pre-production discussion. He heard that SNSD’s representative (most likely Tayeon) was expected to join the meeting, but the girls were promoting their album in Japan again. SHINee’s, TVXQ’s, f(x)’s, or other SME’s artists representatives were not present. This had made Leeteuk wondered, because prior to the meeting, he heard this new show will be played by SM’s stars.

His silent pondering was soon answered, by Lee Soo Man himself at that.

The SME’s founder spoke to support Mi Ran (who was bombarded by too many questions that day). “We will use the members from Super Junior and So Nyuh Shi Dae for the eight trial episodes. As you all know, the initiation of this show is not entirely for profit but for a long-term image of SME’s artists.”

The man beside Leeteuk whispered to himself, “Hn. I thought that the initiation of this show is to beat JYPE’s Dream High…”

“Yes, that too,” Lee Soo Man answered, apparently hearing the man’s murmur. Leeteuk sensed the man beside him bowed his head in embarrassment, but the brown-haired idol star focused his attention more to his charismatic boss. “Our Hana Kimi has been proven to be a success. And SME is planning to achieve another success with a show that has similar type like We Got Married –which is also another smash hit.”

“If this show is a matchmaking show, then won’t it make more scandals if we use Super Junior and So Nyuh Shi Dae? We already went into a lot of troubles to evade all those scandals… and now it’s like we’re admitting all those scandals. And foremost, why must it be Super Junior and So Nyuh Shi Dae?” another woman asked and Leeteuk found himself uncomfortable all so sudden. He knew that his group and SNSD were often claimed as SME’s most prized assets…and not all people were pleased with that. In fact, inside SME itself, some people expressed their dislikes to the so-called “different treatment” to SNSD and Super Junior.

Lee Soo Man laughed. And like the charismatic man he was, his laughter was infectious. Perhaps it had something to do with ‘salary-at-stake’ or ‘kiss-’, but most of the men and women in the meeting room joined the Chairman’s laughter. Leeteuk honestly did not know what was there to laugh about so he only offered an unsure, polite smile.

“Yes, we’re getting too tired to deny all those rumors, right? But scandals do not always mean bad news. As people from an entertainment industry, we all know that. That’s why we’re using a reversed psychology. Just look at the outcome of We Got Married’s show. The show is prone to creating scandals, but what the show gains is only more fans…and high rating, of course.”

“But…what about the fans? Some of Super Junior Fans might…hurt So Nyuh Shi Dae girls for stealing their idols…” It was one of SNSD’s managers, Suk Jang, who spoke. Leeteuk knew that the girls’ manager was a very cautious man who cared about the girls very much. Among all SME’s artists, SNSD was often the one bashed the most (although of course, at the same time, loved the most by the others).

“I understand your fear, Suk Jang. But the fans are actually one of the reasons why I strongly support this reality show. We cannot deny that some of ELFs hate SNSD, and some SONEs hate Super Junior. It’s such a sad fact since both groups are within one same management and how both SNSD and Super Junior befriend each other very well. This, also supposedly answer your earlier question, Sook Hyang, of why this show will focus on SNSD and Super Junior. At least, for the first eight trial episodes. Of course, afterwards, we can try to include SHINee, f(x), or the others.”

“But… isn’t this show still a little risky?”

“But worth the try, right?” Lee Soo Man spoke in an authority only a person like him could say.

Nobody rebutted him afterwards.

“Then… we’re going to get into today’s meeting’s main topic. Which members will we cast for this show?”

The SME’s chairman suddenly looked at Leeteuk and smiled at him, “Jung-su, you have any recommendation?”


For the next hour, the debate among the SME creative teams still occurred. Lee Soo Man and several other high ranking men had taken their leaves. And as intriguing the discussion about who would star in SME’s newest program Project: Cupid! was, a decision had not been reached.

“What about Maknae and Maknae? Kyuhyun from Super Junior and Seohyun from Seo Nyuh Shi Dae? Their duets in SM Town Concerts have been proven to steal fans’ attention.”

“We can’t. Seohyun already had her virtual husband from that CN Blue Band.”

“Well, their show has ended anyway…”

“Do you know how loyal those Yongseo fans are? I know our Chairman wanted to challenge back all those scandals, but pairing Seohyun again with a different man will not do good for her image. A couple of duets are fine, but not this kind of show…”

“Then what about Siwon? He has not started any drama contract anyway.”

“With who?”

Leeteuk watched the scene in amusement as the people in the room shouted out different names. From Tiffany, Jessica, Yuri, Yoona, until Sooyoung. Trust Mr. Choi to be one of the favorite choices. Siwon always looked good with whoever he was paired up with. The debate regarding Siwon’s match continued for the next couple of minutes until someone decided to put the matter aside momentarily and focused on the next subject.

“What about Taeyeon?”

Leeteuk’s ears perked up at this and he could immediately sense all eyes secretly stealing glance at him. Seriously, these people could have chosen to be more discreet. “What do you think, Jung-su?” someone asked him.

The leader chuckled and in a joking tone he replied, “I think…that Taeyeon should be paired up with me?” Well, not so much of a joking. He kind of was curious to find out what was the Company’s position regarding his relationship with Taeyeon this time.

“Nuh, that’s impossible. Do you know how hard it was to conceal your scandal with Taeyeon last time? We’re not digging our graves back.”

Leeteuk laughed casually, though the statement made him more disappointed that he thought he would.

Another voiced out in his favor. “Ah come on… Chairman said it’s okay to meddle with scandals. That’s kind of the aim of this show, right?”

“But it’s a different with Leeteuk and Taeyeon. You don’t mind if I speak like this, do you, Jung-su?”

The referred man let out his signature friendly laugh. “Ah, don’t worry about that…”

“Then, do you mind if we pair Taeyeon up with someone else?”

His surprise was evident. “Eh?”

Some laughter ensued and just like Siwon, they decided to put aside the Taeyeon issue, much to Leeteuk’s relief.

The debate started again. It even got more heated. And there began the point where Leeteuk could not keep track on who was talking about who, or who was paired up with who, or who did not look good with who, or whoever, whatever. Names and pairings, suggestions and rejections were shouted out in that meeting room.

“What about Yoona and Donghae? Or Sunny and Sungmin? Or Heechul and Jessica?” another person brought up the issue.

“Don’t you think those are going to be too repetitive? We already create those Yoonhae, Sunsun, and Heesica for Super Junior’s Gee Performance. Too predictable. Unoriginal.”

“Each of them has large fanbase, you know?”

“Still… too predictable.”

“Hey, who do you think Heechul should be paired up with?”

“Seriously, you’re trying to pair that Kim Heechul with someone? That’s gonna be a hard job for the girl.”

“Well, that makes it interesting, doesn’t it?”

“Hey, don’t forget about Hyoyeon. She has been showing her funny side in reality shows lately. It will be pretty hilarious if we put her in the show.”

“Hyoyeon… I agree. But who should we pair her up with?”

“Eunhyuk?”

“Didn’t we have the argument that those kind of pairing would be too easy to guess?”

“Well, we haven’t reached a conclusion to that particular topic anyway. But let’s put those aside. For now –“

“Ryeowook and Jessica!”

“Kyuhyun and Taeyeon?”

“Kyuhyun and Sooyoung?”

“Sooyoung and Sungmin? They were good when they hosted the radio together…”

“Don’t use Sooyoung. I’m planning to put her as the commentator of the show along with Heechul and Leeteuk.”

Noticing the mention of his name, the guy replied, “So I’m going to be the commentator?” He playfully faked the gesture of shaking his head. “Aish… gone now my chance to be paired up with Yoona-sshi…”

“Do you want us to bring back the Taeyeon issue?” playfully threatened the SNSD manager.

His answer was more rigid than what he intended to be. “No.”

The debate continued, but due to his upcoming MC schedule, Leeteuk could not be present to hear the result. Once his manager fetched him, the leader stood up and apologetically announced his leaves. Not many paid attentions –as they were still engulfed in the heated debate.

Once he walked out and closed the door of the meeting room, Leeteuk sighed. He had never truly imagined how the mathematical equation of probability between nine women and ten men could be so damn frustrating.


Leeteuk could not be present through the next meetings (not that he had to be there, but he had to admit the crawling curiosity inside) so to whoever were chosen… he had no idea. The rumor regarding the new show had spread in Super Junior dorm though. And he had heard enough of ‘Hyung, so who are going to be chosen in the show?’

Yesung was the seventh person to ask him that in the time range of three hours, so it was only Yesung’s bad luck  to receive the leader’s irritation. “For the umpteenth time, I don’t know…!” He screeched comically. So much for being irritated. Leeteuk was not one suited to be angry.

Heechul came to back him up. “Yah, why are you all so eager for this show anyway?” Because to one Kim Heechul, the word ‘SNSD’ did not really raise his excitement. Don’t get him wrong, he cared about his cute dongsaengs (not as much as he cared about himself, of course, but still…), but over the years together in SME, SNSD to him had morphed from ‘cute girls’ to ‘cute sisters.’

The chatting began again. Bets and guesses filled the dorm noisily. It was only once their manager came in and announced who was going up to the first pre-production meeting of Project: Cupid!, that the guesses stopped and the boys cheered loudly.


To Be Continued


Author's notes:

Well, here goes the 1st chapter. I know nothing interesting has happened so far, but I need to write this chapter for intro chapter + to slow down the pace a little.