Come Away To the Water

The Little Mermaid

Come Away to the Water

 
 
 

To celebrate the success of their latest promotion, the boys were all invited to Mir’s hometown to spend the weekend with his family and since the summer was practically coming to an end, they decided to spend their first day at the beach, wanting to enjoy as much free time as they could before going back into town.

 

After G.O had that dream just a few of days ago, he ended yet another relationship with the girl he had been seeing. It broke his heart that nothing good came out of it but for now, he didn’t dwell on it like he would usually do since his mind was right back on the mysterious girl.

 

Any more, and it would have become an obsession to go and find her.

 

He took this chance of free time to forget about everything and just enjoy the company he had with his best friends as they were now in the beginning of the afternoon and at the beach of the Bay Garden.

 

Standing with his feet stuck in the sand, he took in a deep breath with the light breeze coming through, letting a smile appear across his face as he felt a sense of relaxation inside of him, despite the chaos that was in his mind for the past weeks.

 

But for today, everything was on mute.

 

He stopped thinking and simply wanted to enjoy his weekend like the rest of the boys were doing.

 

And as for the mermaid herself, she was set out for another one of her ‘adventures’.

 

The heat of the sun traveled through the water, lightly warming up her skin. She took this chance to swim up to the surface and had the sun hit her face as a smile appeared on her face, enjoying the sensation it was giving her.

 

She went back under, giving her tail a little slap on the surface before diving into the depth of the water. She was quietly swimming around above various types of corals as she would lightly touch them while small colorful fishes would be swimming around her.

 

The smile on her face showed how she enjoyed the display in front of her as she twirled around and swam up and down and through the corridors created by those corals and different sea creatures.

 

As soon as she reached the end, she noticed how fast some fishes were swimming right back at her, leaving her confused until she saw, just a few feet away, a shark diving right towards her direction.

 

She quickly turned around and swam as fast as she could while keeping on giving quick glances to the back to see that it was following her with its mouth starting to open. She let out a quick shriek as she reached the surface and kept swimming while diving in and out, quickening her race back to her kingdom.

 

As for the boys, they were still on the beach, each one of them occupying themselves by laying across their towels while treating themselves with a tan.

 

Everything was quiet as only the sound of faint waves reaching the shore could be heard.

 

But not far away, a strange sound caught G.O’s attention.

 

He sat up and took his glasses off, landing his gaze in front of him. He got up and squinted his eyes as he placed his hand over his forehead to block the sun and focused on what he was seeing from afar.

 

Just over there, he noticed a strange tail coming in and out of the water as it kept swimming further away from him. Paying a closer attention, he saw that it was followed by something and knew that it could be a shark because of the familiar shape on its back. He didn’t think to much of it until he saw a human like creature with a tail at the end trying to get away from the animal.

 

The last thing he saw was the flashy tail going back into the water and was quickly followed by the shark who dived back in.

 

By now, his eyes were wide open in shock as his breath was caught up in his throat, making him cough, which woke up the others.

 

“G.O-Hyung? Are you okay?”

 

He looked down and saw Mir getting up from his towel. “Y-yea, hmm, I just saw a shark.”

 

“A shark? Are you sure it wasn’t a whale or something else?”

 

“I’m sure.”

 

He sat back down and picked out his phone from his bag as he went to the web icon and started his ‘research’ on whatever he just saw.

 

‘It’s crazy enough to be typing it thinking that it might as well be true…’ He went on and typed the word ‘mermaid’ and waited for the results and as expected, nothing new came to the screen as only general myths, legends and description of the creatures were appearing. He erased it and typed something else, hoping to get a little bit more specific results but yet again, nothing that caught his attention appeared.

 

He gave up his research and put his phone back inside his bag and laid back across his towel while letting the afternoon sun warm his skin.

 

‘I must have hallucinated… There couldn’t be a mermaid out there; they don’t exist… right?’

 

He quickly shook the thought out of his head and went back to his nap and as he wanted to leave his mind blank, he put on his headphones and randomly chose a song before closing his eyes, letting the music take over his nerves.

  

 

 

‘Damn it, why is it still following me?!!’

 

For Syrena, she was still in her race to escape the shark that wasn’t showing any signs of giving up. Though she was inside the perimeters of the kingdom, it was still following her and her panic kept growing with every mile.

 

For a split second, she wasn’t looking where she was going making her bump into a rock, which gave the perfect chance for the animal to attack as it went directly for her tail and bit into it making her scream in pain from the impact of both the attack and the rock she was against.

 

She hit the shark a couple of time to get it off of her while tears were starting to slip from her eyes. She tried to call out for help but the pain was so unbearable, she couldn’t focus on anything else but getting rid of the animal that was trying to kill her.

 

She pushed herself away from the rock and swam back into it only to dodge it leaving the lower part of her body to hit it, letting the shark hit it at the same part. The impact made it back away, giving her a chance to escape from it while she did her best to hide in a safe place, waiting for the animal to disappear.

 

Once she found her hiding place, her focus went back on her pain as she noticed red liquid floating around her. She took a look at her tail and cursed while passing her fingers through her hair, to which she also saw blood coming out of the corner of her forehead.

 

She find it hard to breathe as her chest heaved up and down from the fast swim while trying to catch her breath.

 

She did her best to swim back to her place, but things only got worse before she even reached the main entrance of the kingdom.

 

Up on the surface, the boys were in a quick hurry to pack up their stuff as they saw the sudden change of temperature with the sun being hidden with grey clouds along with the rain that was starting to pour down on them.

 

Once they were done, they quickly ran out of the sand and went back to the porch where they kept running until they reached the car and hurried to jump inside, leaving Seungho to the driver’s seat. The moment they closed the doors, the rain was only getting stronger along with the faint sound of thunders being heard.

 

They all laughed it out as they took their time to drive back to Mir’s place, wanting to be careful on the road.

 

“It looks like a storm is coming…”

 

From looking outside the window, G.O paid close attention to the sudden changing weather, making him think back on what he might have seen earlier this afternoon. He was lost in his thoughts, he didn’t even realize the ride was already over after the hour passed, letting the sky get darker with the storm keeping on strong.

 

Back on the beach, the storm wasn’t sparing the water letting big waves pass its limit of the shore as it went in deeper, almost reaching the porch. Down under, it was barely affecting the lives of the mermaids, except for one who was caught at the wrong moment.

 
 
 
 


 
 

author's notes: