The Very First Ambush

You And I
I trudged home as fast as I could. I tried to ignore the pain that so bound my left leg, but it seared so much that I thought the pain was coming from the head. I felt dizzy as well and I shook off the faint every time I looked down every few minutes to check its status as I limped past shops, restaurants and homes of many. Luckily no one, or hardly anyone, was there to see it.
Before a few steps to my own home which was an large, independent block needing no rents, I glanced downwards. My leg was in a worst possible state I could have ever imagined; blood overflew so much it stained the thick cloth around it and a huge swelling had started to take its place, slowly and painfully. I trudged up the steps and pushed open the door.
"Hey Dasom!" my brother Ren called out from the kitchen. He entered my sight. A young man of 20 years, he wore his favourite yellow shirt and some ripped jeans. His long yellow hair fell to his shoulders and almost covered his eyes. Black, embroidered manicure showed on his long nails. He brushed his hair away from his eyes. "You should really ring the doorbell before–" His voice drifted off as his jet black eyes fell onto my leg. They widened and his jaw dropped.
"Oh my god! What the hell happened?!" He rushed over to help me onto a couch.
"I guess you know why," I answered for him. Ren slapped his forehead.
"Yeah, how could I be so stupid…" he muttered. He dashed over to a cupboard and pulled out some medications. He fetched a cloth and, soaking it with the medicine, dabbed my shin immediately. I screamed a short scream in pain. He stopped dabbing to put his dry hand on my head.
"It's okay, it's okay," he soothed me. I calmed down within minutes. Most of the time, he was annoying, more like a younger brother than an older one. But at times like this, he acted better. From the ways he soothed me and cared for me for over fifteen years, I could tell he loved me. And so I love him too. Truly.
Ren dabbed softer on my shin as I muffled my groans. He fetched some bandages and wrapped them around it. I sighed in relief. The pain had finally dissolved.
"Thanks a lot," I said, resting my head on his lap. Ren smiled as he my long, dark hair.
"Any time kiddo!" he replied. Then he turned serious. "How did it happen? What did they do?"
I knew what he meant by 'they'. He means the boys who broke my leg. I looked into his eyes, explaining everything. In brief, I said that I was getting some bread from the bakery and when I was returning home, some masked men bashed me and ran away.
"So it's basically like all the previous times," Ren concluded. "A few months back?" I nodded. "Then we have to move away from this country."
I almost out. Move out of the country? I felt that I could not get myself to agree with this idea of Ren's. I clearly understood why we have to go, but he should clearly understand that I have bonds made and kept here! I opened my mouth to argue about the matter but Ren put a finger to my lips. "We are not to open a discussion. This is final." His voice sounded very strict. He got up and headed upstairs. "I'll book a flight right away so do not complain," he called.
LATER…
That night, I talked to as many of my friends as possible on the landline. Since I was mostly kept home by Ren (gone a little overprotective huh), I had few but good friends. They were like a family to me, and we were pretty close to each other. I regretted walking into the house in front of Ren in that horrible state.
First up on my list was G.NA, a soloist who was mostly busy but at times like these she is having her rest and relaxation. I punched in her number and waited a few seconds before she answered.
"Yoboseyo?" I heard her British accent emerge from the loudspeaker.
"Yo it's me DaSom!" I replied. I heard her gasp.
"I can't believe I couldn't recognize your voice! Mianhe chingu! I'm having just so much stuff on my mind!"
"At least you can relax at these times!" I laughed. G.NA laughed as well. "Anyways, I need to tell you something super serious."
"What is it?" G.NA's hyper and happy voice turned sour. "Lemme guess, it happened again?" I nodded my head.
"Yeah, and because of that I'm…" my voice drifted off as I tried to finish the sentence.
"You're what?" G.NA's voice shivered.
"I'm… I'm… I'm moving. Outta this country." The silence after I said that was creeping me out of my skin. Within a few minutes soft crying replaced the silence.
"Ya G.NA! Don't cry unnie!" I tried my best to soothe her. "Besides, it's not far from here!"
"Wh-who decided it?" G.NA was now terribly shaking with sobs and paused to sniff.
"Ren," I said simply but I tried to even my voice a little.
"Well it was his fault! Why did he make you go alone?!"
"He was sick, G.NA."
"Blame his illness then!"
I was really shocked by what I just heard from her. Most of the time she said nice things about Ren and cared for him alot. In fact, she once admitted secretly to me that she had a crush on him! But seeing her personality changing like this almost me out. I suppose I shouldn't have told her Ren was the one who sent me out because he was off sick.
"I'm gonna tell you where I am to shift if you would STOP talking about my brother like that!" My voice rose in boiling hot anger as I felt the insults stab into my heart.
"Whatever," G.NA replied rudely. "Where?"
"Seoul, and don't think of complaining it's too far away! It's just fine!"
"Well it is quite far but not too far from here in Los Angeles. But I do hope you would have fun there." I noticed her bossy tone flooded out of her and was replaced by despair. I decided to change my own as well.
"G.NA, if I would have fun, it would all be dull. Besides, I'm sure it would be boring."
"Okay then. When's your flight?"
"It's three in the morning."
"Let me know when you reach there safely. I have to go now… bye! Love ya!"
"Love ya too!" I touched the 'end call' button on my phone and I hung up with a small 'tu' sound.
The other two friends, who were soloists Ailee and Seo In Young, had about the same reaction as G.NA had. Ailee couldn't hold in her sobs and Seo went dead quiet. It took some time to calm them down.
Later that night I had dinner with Ren downstairs on the small table in the dining room. He made lost of delicious foods including chicken stew, Japanese ramen and smoked beef. These were my favorites, but I just sat in my seat, arms folded and staring at my empty plate. Ren had finished his own twice and was getting up to put it in the sink but stopped. He looked at me with his brotherly eyes.
"DaSom," he said, "you haven't eaten anything yet. Come on, chew at least something!" He put his plate in the kitchen along with the other dishes and my plate. Then he sat down with me. "Look," Ren added warmly. "I know you wanna stay here with your friends, but you also know what is happening to you at random times. We have to do this." He inserted his fingers in mine then squeezed my hand. "I'm really sorry, my love." I looked him into the eyes, and I lowered them, nodding. Ren pecked my cheek then released my hand and stood up. "I'll lead you to your room." He held put his hand for me to hold. I took it and he helped me up the stairs.