Chapter _ 001

Near The End

Morning, it was a bright, yet cold, day again. Even though the birds made noise outside, Baekhyun still couldn’t get used to what was currently happening to the world he lived in. Three years passed after the terrible beginning of the infection and the awful death of his mother.  He’s still traumatized, afraid and he still has nightmares about that day. He grew weak and defenseless, all alone.

At least things started to calm down and, even though people are struggling, they’re trying their best to survive. There’s no electric power, no radio, no phone. The Army tries their best to protect the survivors inside the safe zone, but they went too far. They’re killing everyone that fights against them, everyone that is infected and suspicious that lives inside the town, everyone that refuses to give information and follow their rules. They even set a certain time where people can go out and get back home, from 8am to 8pm, and if you’re caught outside without permission, you’re killed.

It’s already past 6am and Baekhyun was still sleeping. The small apartment that the military gave him was really quiet, no light coming in and no sound going out. A few seconds later, he opened his eyes. He got out of the covers and sat quietly on the bed, rubbing his eyes and brushing his hair. He moved upwards and got up, getting his clothes and putting them on slowly.

He bent down to grab his key, getting back up and moving to the small living room/kitchen area. He put the key in his pocket and opened the old fridge, taking a small can of food out of it and closed it, sighing deeply. He moved to the rusty counter and sat on top of it, eating the food inside the blue and green can.

Suddenly someone or something knocked on the door startling the boy. Baekhyun got up from the rusty counter as soon as he heard the door. He was afraid.

He walked slowly to the door, very carefully. Even though he lived in a safe zone, people should always be aware and careful because Infected had been breaking into the perimeter in the last two weeks and killing many survivors and also, military could trick you and kill you.

Once he opened the door and saw a young, tall male dressed in the military clothes, his body froze and his heart stopped. He didn’t know what to do. Was he going to get killed ?

On the other side, the young male had a huge warm smile on his face and was carrying a large white bag on his right hand. Baekhyun, confused with situation, tilted his head to the side and waited for something to come.

“Hello there. I’m Park Chanyeol and I came to deliver the supplies you asked last week. We’re sorry for being giving you them in such a late time but we had a few problems with the supplies team.” He said, smiling brightly and Baekhyun simply nodded and allowed him inside.

Chanyeol walked towards the counter that Baekhyun was sitting before and put the bag down, slowly taking the food, medicine and clothes out of the bag and never taking off his bright smile.

The boy seemed to be a good person unlike the other soldiers Baekhyun had to deal with every day, yet, Baekhyun was uneasy and freaking out on the inside. Should he really trust that boy ? He didn’t know what to do.

“Well, I guess that this is all for now.” Chanyeol said, taking his hat off and bowing his head towards Baekhyun.

“Thank you…” Baekhyun replied, nodding and slowly closing the door. When he was almost closing the door, he remembered about something and opened the door fast.

“E-Excuse me, w-what happened to the other guy ?” Baekhyun asked, slightly frightened.

“Oh,  Minjun hyung ? He… He got infected and we had to kill him.” Chanyeol explained, looking down. Baekhyun couldn’t believe.

“Thank you for the information… and the supplies.” Baekhyun said, closing the door again and walked towards the window, seeing Chanyeol leave.

Baekhyun walked back to the rusty counter, grabbed the stuff that Chanyeol brought him and put it inside an old green backpack. He was really confused.  Park Chanyeol was the only soldier that seemed nice, caring and …you could trust him. Yet, he didn’t want to get carried away by a simple nice face.

As soon as Baekhyun finished packing the food, medicine and some of the clothes inside his backpack, someone knocked on his door again. He let out a deep sigh, put his backpack on and headed to the door, his expression drastically changing. He took a deep breath and opened the door.

“Hey.” Kai, a young male that was friends with Baekhyun, greeted.

“Hey…” Baekhyun replied, looking down.

“…Baekhyun, are you sure you want to do this ?” Kai asked, stepping aside to give some space for his friend to go outside.

“Yes I am, Kai.” He answered with a quite mad tone of voice, closing the door behind him and locking it.

“Look, there are more people outside like you. Maybe one of them had the same idea.” Kai said, making the other boy tremble.

“Who would want to become a guinea pig and risk their life for the sake of this planet ?” Baekhyun questioned as he walked downstairs and left the old apartment.

“You’re right. But… This is crazy !” Kai shouted, holding his friend’s arm.

 “Let’s just go Kai, we have to at least reach there in two months.” Baekhyun said, this time with a more calm tone of voice. The other boy simply nodded and followed Baekhyun.

“I’m not the one that is going to smuggle you out of the city. Suho paid some guys for that.” Kai explained, looking around.

“Great.” Baekhyun answered sarcastically.

They kept walking towards an old building that seemed that was falling apart. That building was known to be the place where Infected lived, yet, it was the only way to reach the other side of the city where the smugglers were waiting for them.

When Baekhyun was about to step inside, he got pulled by the other male. This startled him, making him tremble.

“W-What is it ?” Baekhyun asked, quite frightened.

“Here.” Kai said as he gave Baekhyun a pocket knife, making the other boy tilt his head in confusion.

“Just take it. You might need it.” Kai explained to Baekhyun and the other boy simply nodded and took the pocket knife, putting it in his pocket.

“Thank you Kai…” Baekhyun said, a small shy smile appearing on his lips.

“Let’s just go.” Kai ordered and walked inside the building, Baekhyun followed behind.

The two friends walked side by side through the giant corridor. They had to reach the other side of the building before 8pm and the night arrive. They tried hard not to go too fast and get caught by monsters, but Baekhyun kept telling Kai to hurry up.

Suddenly a loud noise is heard.

“K-Kai…” Baekhyun said, crouching down and covering his head with his arms.

“I know… just stay quiet and hide.” Kai ordered, whispering. Baekhyun nodded and hid under an old desk.

“Be careful…” Baekhyun quietly said and Kai entered the room where the noise came from. He looked around and caught himself in a bad situation.

“Darn, I’m screwed… a lot…” He whispered and somehow caught the attention of two walkers. He slowly moved outside again and closed the door, blocking it with the desk where Baekhyun hid earlier.

“Should we run-” Suddenly the walkers start banging on the door and yelling. The noise was painful. Kai simply nodded and grabbed Baekhyun’s hand, dragging him while he ran fast.

The door breaks and a bunch of Infected start running after them. Kai continued running as fast as he could and dragging Baekhyun with him, but, he was running out of breath and needed to stop soon and the end of the corridor was still far away.

“Hurry !” Kai shouted, ordering Baekhyun to run faster but the other boy was lost in his memories again.

Then, Baekhyun fell.

“Baekhyun !” Kai yelled as a walker grabbed Baekhyun’s leg, pulling him.

“Kai !!” Baekhyun yelled, tears forming. He was frightened. All those hands touching on him, trying to rip him apart. He kept kicking them away and trying not to be bitten.

Suddenly gun shots are heard, lots of them.  It wasn’t Kai who was shooting, and that made them get even more scared. All the walkers that were grabbing Baekhyun fell dead on the floor. They looked to see who it was and when they saw someone dressed with army clothes, they froze.

“R-Run !” Kai shouted and started moving.

“I-I can’t ! I can’t move my leg, it hurts !” Baekhyun yelled, trying to crawl, tears sliding down his cheeks.

The military guy slowly approached Baekhyun, looking down at him. The light was making it hard to see his face. Kai pointed his gun at him, his hands trembling.

“Don’t touch him !” Kai yelled, never taking his eyes off of the guy.

The other guy, with a serious face, crouched down near Baekhyun and slowly positioned his arms to pick him up in a bridal style. Baekhyun fought, punching the air and trying to hit him, but without success. He got picked up by the young male making this freeze his body, but when he looked up, his eyes widened.

“Wait Kai, don’t shoot.” Baekhyun said, startling Kai and making him tilt his head in confusion.

“W-Why !? He’s from the army ! He’s going to kill us !” Kai shouted, pointing his gun again.

“You’re wrong. He’s friendly.” Baekhyun said, never taking his eyes off of the guy that was now carrying him.

And then, a cloud covered the sun, revealing the mysterious army guy face.

It was Park Chanyeol.