내 발렌타인

 

It was a cool evening in Seoul. It was already 7pm, but many couples were still walking down the streets together. The shops, the whole city was filled pink and red hearts. It was Valentine's Day, the day of love.

 

Eunhyuk was amongst the citizens of South Korea. He was alone. Slowly, he walked beside to the store windows peeking inside. He felt unsure if he should enter one. It had been a year since he left Seoul.

 

It had been 372 days, to be exact. 372 days ago he had left to the States to study. It had been a wish of his parents, his last year’s Christmas present.

 

What his parents did not realize was that he had to leave something behind, something important. Something so important, that for a year, it had not left his thoughts. It had always been on the back of his mind, not letting him forget the guilt he felt. It was the guilt of leaving someone important.

 

But how could he have said no to his parents? He was a good son. For a year he tried to say this to himself, but he still felt guilty. So guilty.

 

Eunhyuk fished his cell phone from his pocket. No new calls, it said. After picking a number from his contacts, he held the phone to his ear.

 

“Yeobeoseyo?” said a familiar voice on the other end. Hearing the voice, Eunhyuk smiled unconsciously.

 

“Hyung!”

 

“Hyuk? Is it really you? Wow, it’s been so long!”

 

“I know. How is hyung? Is army-life hard?”

 

“I’m the same as usual,” Leeteuk laughed, sounding delighted to be talking to his dongsaeng after such a long time, “we’re all fine, in fact! I’m having a few days off so I’m at my house...but where are you calling from?”

 

“Hyung, I’m in Seoul.” He stopped in front of a small shop.

 

“WHAT? YOU ARE?” the older one sounded like he was about to cry. He could not believe Eunhyuk was back. “Are you going back or are you here to stay?”

 

“To stay. My parents wished me to come back since it’s been a year now. They didn’t want me to stay there for too long.”

 

“My dongsaeng, you are such a good son,” Leeteuk sounded proud, almost as if he himself was Eunhyuk’s father. “When did you arrive?”

 

“Just today. I left my luggage to my parents’ place just a few hours ago.”

 

“Where are you now?”

 

“I’m out walking in downtown… Pink, hearts, and love seem to be everywhere...”

 

Instantly, Leeteuk knew what his dongsaeng was eventually going for.

 

“Does he know you’re back?”

 

“No. No-one knows. Except you now, that I called you.”

 

“Hyukkie…”

 

Eunhyuk knew what his hyung was going to say, but he still let him continue. “Yes, hyung?”

 

“You should call him…”

 

Eunhyuk kept silent for a moment and took a deep breath. He looked through the little store’s window. A cute teddy bear caught his eye.

 

“Hyung, I…” Eunhyuk started but paused for a moment, not knowing how to continue. “I… I don’t know if I should… I was the one… I left him. I saw how hurt he was…all because of me.”

 

“Of course he was hurt, Hyukkie. He cares about you, so he felt sad that you were leaving... But he understand why you did. He doesn’t hate you for it.”

 

Despite Leeteuk’s consolation, Eunhyuk felt restless.

 

“He’s better without me,” he said, determinedly. “I don’t want him to suffer because of me.”

 

“Hyukkie…” Leeteuk started, but this time Eunhyuk didn’t let him continue.

 

“Hyung, I have something to do right now… Can I call you later? We should meet before you go back to military.”

 

“Of course,” Leeteuk said, his voice sounding a little disappointed.

 

They said goodbyes and ended the call. Eunhyuk decided to visit the small shop before continuing his way.

 

Eunhyuk arrived to a square at the center of Seoul. In the middle of the square, there was a great fountain, surrounded by happy couples. The fountain was beautiful, even its water was pink today. Slowly, he walked towards the fountain, paying attention to the people gathered at the square. There were even families with small children, celebrating love. He felt conflicted.

 

Should I…? Eunhyuk could not make up his mind whether he should make the phone call or not. He didn’t hear the steps that approached him.

 

“Hyukkie…” called a voice, that made Eunhyuk’s heart stop. His body froze for a second.

 

“Donghae,” he breathed.

 

He could feel tears starting to form in his eyes, when he turned around to face the man who he once called his.

 

Donghae had not changed in a year. He was still the innocent faced man who Eunhyuk knew. His hair was a little longer and darker, but otherwise, he looked just the same.

 

“Hyukkie,” Donghae repeated. “Is it really you…? You’re back…”

 

Eunhyuk stared at him. He didn’t know what to stay to the man he had missed so much for the past year.

 

“Yeah… I just arrived today,” he gulped difficulty, his voice barely more than a whisper.

 

Silence fell upon them, as neither knew what they should do next. Looking at each other, they stood a few meters apart.

 

“Donghae, I’m…really sorry,” was all Eunhyuk could say.

 

Upon seeing Donghae’s face again, he had started to regret. He regretted it all so much. He regretted everything he did that made Donghae suffer. How could he have done it to the man he loves? How could he have hurt him so bad?

 

To Eunhyuk’s surprise, Donghae smiled.

 

“Don’t be sorry, Hyuk, don’t be.”

 

His voice was calm, too calm. Eunhyuk tried to stop the tears from escaping from the corners of his eyes. He lowered his eyes to look at the teddy bear he had purchased from the shop. It had caught his eyes, because something in its warm smile reminded him of the man standing in front of him.

 

“This… I want to give this to you,” Eunhyuk held out the teddy bear. “It’s a Valentine’s Day gift.”

 

Donghae seemed a little surprised but he took the bear. It looked at it for a moment, smiling.

 

“I don’t need it though,” Donghae lifted his eyes back to Eunhyuk.

 

It was Eunhyuk’s turn to be surprised. “Huh?”

 

Donghae smiled again.

 

“Eunhyuk… Can you be my Valentine?”

 

Eunhyuk’s heart stopped the moment the man finished his sentence. The tears he had been holding in broke through the barrier falling on his cheeks. His feet felt unsteady under him as the words sunk into his mind. Those were the words he had been wanting to hear for a year. He realized, Donghae had been waiting for him. He had been waiting for a full year for Eunhyuk to return to his lover.

 

Eunhyuk’s eyes were blurry because of the tears that kept coming, but he could see Donghae clearly. He could always see him clearly.

 

“I love you, Lee Donghae. I will never leave you again.”


“I love you even more, my Hyuk. Don’t think that anything will ever break us apart.”