Of Pork Intestines and Impromptu Parties

Show Me
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Her cubicle was small. It was in a corner of the office where it was always cold a little dark too, because she was away from all the windows. 

He had arrived unannounced. Her fingers were flying over her keyboard when there was small knock on the thin wall that separated her work space from the next cubicle. The whole floor stopped in their tracks when she let out a blood-curdling scream when she turned around to see him holding two bags of food. Her face burned in shame for reacting the way she did, and partly because of the mess that was on her table. Her desk resembled a dump slash recycing site with all the stacks of haphazardly piled papers.

Ara looked up from her computer screen, pushed her reading glasses against the bridge of her nose and glanced sideways at Kris.

“Why are you here again?” She asked.

Kris chewed thoughtfully and took a sip of his Coke. He carefully wiped the grease off of his lips with a napkin and frowned at her. “I wanted to eat lunch with you?” He said.

“Yeah, but. Why?”

He chuckled before he put his chopsticks down and rolled his chair towards her. The squeak that she let out when he wrapped his arms around her waist and rested his chin on shoulder was so loud, the intern from the next cubicle stood up and leaned over.

“Oh , sorry!” The girl said, her eyes wide.

“Soo Young!” Ara said. The young girl mumbled a quick apology before ducking back down again.

He laughed and gave her a gentle squeeze before letting go.

“You’re her bias in the group,” She whispered, “But anyway. Why are you here again?”

“I just wanted to see you,”

“Don’t you have to work? Aren’t you guys shooting for that next episode or something?”

“We're doing that tonight. Hey, don’t you want me to be here?” He asked with an arched and perfectly groomed eyebrow. She frowned when she thought about she hadn’t tweezed hers in a while.

“Well, no but-“

“Then be quiet and eat your lunch,”

 She raised her eyebrows at him, he only laughed and went back to attacking a chicken leg. “You hate fried chicken. You hate anything fried, period,” She said.

“Every now and then is ok, I guess,”

Ara stared at the Chinese male beside her. After their little argument a few days ago, she had tried her very best to avoid Kris, but failed miserably. He called all the time and bombarded her phone with text messages when she wasn’t able to pick up, had a box of cupcakes delivered to the office once, and even sent flowers to their house. He just laughed when she accused him of up because he sent a gigantic bouquet of pink orchids, which was her mother’s favorite. It worked though, because he was invited to dinner the following Sunday, and charmed the pants off of her parents and even her hard-to-please sister.

“You look cute with glasses,” He said, cheek resting on his hand.

She cleared and turned around, and quickly resumed her frantic typing.

“Rude,” He said with a laugh.

“I need to work, they need this copy in two hours,” She grumbled.

She looked at him again when he didn’t respond and was surprised to see a pout on his stupid, flawless, out-of-this-world handsome face. “What?”

“You don’t like me,”

“I do!”

Her eyes widened at what she had just said and she willed herself to take calming breaths before she made an even bigger fool out of herself. “I mean it’s not that I don’t like you but you see how little space I have here and it’s already cramped and you’re not exactly tiny so…yeah,”

“I’ll stay out of the way, just let me stay. Come on, I haven’t seen you in days,” He whined.

She chewed on her bottom lip. If he stayed, that might get her boss off of her back for a couple of hours, because Jiyoung always turned into a blubbering mess of an idiot whenever Kris so much as breathed in her direction; and therefore avoided her cubicle at all costs. But that also meant that she would have a hard time working because then he would be staring at her.

“I don’t know,”

Kris rolled his stupid chair towards her again. She yelped when he grabbed her chair and turned her around, their knees now bumping, his hands on either side of her hips. She gasped when he moved closer, his nose just a couple of inches away from hers.

“I’ll be good, I promise,” He said with a lazy smile.

His breath fanned against her lips, and she had to stop her eyes from fluttering close. Her heart raced and her hands started getting sweaty, and a slight whiff of his cologne reached her nostrils and she was gone, gone, gone. Kris had that effect on her sometimes. Or all the time, if she was being honest.

“You smell good,” She mumbled.

“Thanks, you too,” He said with a small smile.

She cleared and hoped that he wasn’t near enough to hear how her heartbeat was going crazy, but he was too preoccupied at staring at her face.

Please don’t let it be a booger.

He moved closer (and she tried not to hyperventilate because really, they could almost kiss if she tilted her head and leaned forward just a little bit more) and his fingers touched the corner of her left eye. “Eyelash,” He said, “Blow on it and make a wish,”

She had to laugh at that one. “You are so weird,”

“No seriously, just do it,”

Her brows furrowed at the walking contradiction that was Kris Wu. He left home at the tender age of seventeen and moved to a different country to pursue a career that he had absolutely no guarantee in succeeding at, and it never failed to impress her how mature he truly was for his age. Yet here he was, convinced that a stray eyelash will grant the wishes of her heart that in reality, only he could fulfill.

“If I do are you going to let me go?”

“Not until you say I can stay,”

She swallowed when his long, pale fingers curled around her wrist, his thumb making slow circles on the inside of her arms.

“Fine,” She bit out as she grabbed his hand and blew on her eyelash in between his index finger and thumb. “There,”

“What did you wish for?”

“Mind your own business, I’m going back to work now, don’t touch anything,”

“What am I, a 5-year old?” He asked, laughing.

He leaned back against his chair and she scoffed at the smug smile on his face. “Don’t expect me to entertain you, Yifan, I really have to get things done. I have to be somewhere tonight so I can’t stay here any later than four,”

“Oh?”

She mentally face-palmed herself and turned to face her computer again, to hide her face that was probably blotchy by now. She swore to get rid of that extra chair that he found when he heard the wheels rolling again, and she bit her lip when she felt strong hands kneading on her shoulders.

“Where are you going?” He asked.

“Somewhere,”

“I see. Another blind date?”

“Can you clean up the rest of the food, please?”

There was rustle of papers and some choice swear words and Ara realized that Soo Young probably stubbed her toe, again, against the metal file cabinet tucked in a corner of the cubicle that she shared with her mentor. 

“Oh ,”

“Soo Young. What is it,” Ara asked through gritted teeth. The young intern’s face was as red as the office chairs, her eyes wide at having walked in on her getting a massage from Kris. Who was an idiot and was still working on the mess of knots on her back like it was the normal thing to do in a professional setting such as her office.

“N-nothing, I was just going to ask if-“ Soo Young's eyes flickered to Kris.

“Oh, right. Give it to me now. And then yes go ahead and have lunch, you should have gone earlier,”

“Ok,” Soo Young said in a small voice. She returned shortly with a small box covered in Xs and Os.

“In what-“

“All three, please!” Soo Young said.

“Ok, see you in a bit,” Ara said.

After mumbling an “I’myourbiggestfan” to Kris, the intern ran away and Ara winced when the poor girl almost fell on her face when her foot got caught with the wire of someone’s charger. She could only shake her head at Yifan who had smiled at the girl’s confession, and was now looking as bored as anything.

She opened the box and mother of all things bright and beautiful the girl had bought every single one of their albums, in Korean and Mandarin, repackaged, first edition, you name it, the idiot had it.

“Write something nice and sign on each of these albums,”

“Korean?”

“And Mandarin and English. And Vulcan, and whatever other languages you pretend to know,”

“What? Why?”

“Because the girl is half in-love with you and if you want to stay you’ll do as I say!”

Kris smiled. “In love? These fans are just, intense.”

Ara couldn’t have agreed more. She knew someone who might really be in love with him though.

 

Just a solid twenty minutes of no interruptions or touching from Kris and she might actually get things done. She rubbed her eyes with the heels of her hands and stretched her arms.

“Psst,”

She swiveled her chair around and found her boss crouched on the floor with wide eyes that darted to her left and right.

“Jiyoung? What on earth are you doing?”

“Ssshh! Where is he?”

“Who are we talking about?”

“Kris!”

Ara groaned. All she wanted was twenty minutes, was that really too much to ask for? She was surrounded by idiots. The sound of creaking wheels when she turned around made Jiyoung jump. “I asked him to make copies,” She said as she tried to concentrate on typing up her proposals for their next ad campaign.

Jiyoung sat on the empty chair next to hair and gaped. “You asked Kris Wu to make copies.”

“He was playing with my hair ok?” Ara snapped.

“Here you go,”

They both jumped at the sound of Kris’ deep voice. He placed a thick pile of paper on her desk and Jiyoung made a strangled noise from the back of when Kris bowed and greeted her and Ara could only stare and cringe in embarrassment. Her boss could make grown men cry when she was in one of her moods and yet here she was, red-faced and looking at Kris like she had found the answers to life’s questions.

“Kris! I need coffee,” Ara said.

He smiled and she was so tempted to take a picture of Jiyoung’s face, with her eyes bulging out of their sockets. “Ok, black?”

“Yep,”

“Um, Jiyoung-ssi, would you like some?”

Jiyoung nodded and stared at Kris’ back as he walked away to the pantry. Several heads craned as he walked past, but he was oblivious as usual, tapping at his phone and brushing his hair with his fingers. Ara could have sworn she heard someone sigh.

“So handsome and manly and yet so whipped,”

“What?”

“I swear the boy’s in love with you. I can literally see anime hearts in his eyes when you’re around him,”

“I could say the same about you,” Ara snorted.

“How can you not be flailing around in feelings when he’s looking at you and invading your personal space like that?”

“Because it’s not socially acceptable?” Her phone’s alarm went off. “I will never get done! Sorry, but can I just please finish this? I need to leave early today!” She begged.

“Oh, that reminds me. Kevin wants you!”

Ara’s head whipped to her left so fast she thought she broke her neck. “Who?”

“Kevin? Our boss? The person who mans the chopping block?”

“Oh. Right. Ok, I’ll be th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter