iii

As His First Wife

"Hurry!" I heard a commotion but I couldn't open my eyes. They were tightly shut. I knew that it was the end of my day. The machines couldn't make me wide awake again. It was useless after all. Then, I heard someone was crying. Mom. I thought.

 

"My daughter, I'll give this money to your husband to buy what you had asked." she held my hand tightly. I only could feel her icy-cold hands. But where's Kris? I wanted to hear his voice. I wanted to feel his hands. I wanted to feel his warm kiss. I wanted to hear him saying I love you.

 

On my burial day, I saw a lot of my relatives, friends and family, including Kris' family came to my burial day. I was  depressed that Kris didn't come. Sitting on one of the branches, my tears rolled down. I was a ghost, a lonely and depressed ghost. Perhaps he was having a lot of fun with his new legs. I didn't mind. As long as he was happy with it.
 
 

The wedding bells rang and all his family threw confetti at him and his new beautiful wife. I was feeling happy even though deep inside my heart, there was a little scar.  Kris waved at the guests and plastered a smile. I knew he was really happy. After seeing him kissing the bride, I walked slowly to my home which was located near to the wedding place. 

 

I should leave him with his beautiful wife. My mission had successfully completed, making Kris happy. Goodbye, Kris. Please be nice with your wife. I love you till the end even though you love someone else. In the next world, I hope we can meet each other.

 

 

---

 

 

Five years later,

 

Kris stared at the place for minutes. There was a bouquet of flowers on his hands. Tears fell on the stone and he was feeling regret. His wife hugged his shoulder and rested her head on his shoulder. 

 

"Hyekyu, I owe every thing that I had to you. I'm sorry that I couldn't give my love to you. You had suffered a lot compared to me. After reading your diary, I felt like a fool. I know I should pay attention to you." he couldn't continue his words and bit the bottom of his lips. Soojung, his wife gave a few words of comfort to him. She wasn't feeling jealous after all. 

 

Kris put the bouquet of flowers on the grave and left the place with a heavy heart. He knew it was all his fault.