Five Years

Five Years

The supermarket was really crowded, the news had just come over, and so I guess that's why people were here. But what surprised me really it was the fact that they were actually buying the stuff. It was not like in the movies I've seen. World War Z, War of the Worlds... Saying a few. Well anyway, people were not burglarizing, or stealing, they were quickly buying the stuff they needed... But didn't the new's guys had said 5 years from now? 

I was just there... Standing in the middle of a mass of people rapidly paying for their stuff and leaving in the same pace.

"Earth is really dying!" Someone shouted. I gotta say I should've been scared, but for some reason I wasn't. I saw several people crying their hearts out, screaming at the sky, pleading for salvation to their God... How I wanted to say to them that it was an useless thing to do, but hey, humans need to believe in something right? They need an anchor, and in times like these, it had to be a really big one. 

Why did people believe now that the earth was really dying and that the world was really going to end in 5 years? Well... I can't exactly explain that but the earth was really dying and the news had been broadcasted all over the world and it was serious . I was taking a shower actually, so I didn't get the most part but my phone started ringing and so I pick it up.

"Seunghyun-hyung!" came from the other side. "It´s me Daesung, I'm going to pick you up in a little while and we're taking the first plane to Cancun and we're spending all the money I had save for-" the line went off.

What? I could see my frown getting deeper and deeper as I ketp listening to Daesung. What the hell has just happened? And then I got a text from Daesung with a link in it,

 

Open it and wait for me I'm coming over soon, don't go ¿ok? It said. I opened the link and in big red letters it said

"5 YEARS FROM NOW THE EARTH WILL REALLY DIE, EVERYBODY MUST BE PREPARED" 

At first as I was scrolling down the full article I couldn't understand any of the letters written there, I was still shocked about Daesung's call, I shook my head and started over again.

'Oh' was my first reaction.

I left the bathroom, changed my clothes and, I knew I shouldn't have done that but I grabbed my keys and left my apartment. My mind kept saying sorry Dae and my feet kept advancing. 

I arrived at the supermarket 8 minutes later, I entered it and was wondering around for about 17 minutes, watching some people go insane, other people grabbing everything that they could and running towards the cashier to pay for them and get the out of there, and some other people, as I mentioned before, raising their arms to the sky, screaming at it. 

I never thought I'd need so many people to feel the situation was real. I ended up in the electronics section, watching the TVs there broadcast all kind of shows.

And that's when I saw him 

Jiyong

Kwon Jiyong

But he was having an argument with some girl.

I just kept staring at him, he hadn't changed a bit since high school, same blonde hair, same clear brown eyes, pink lips, high cheekbones, thin frame. The only thing that had change was the color of his wheelchair. The last time I'd seen him was in prom day 5 years ago when we went to grab some burgers while the others were partying. At that time his wheelchair was yellow, accurate to Jiyong's personality, always lively, cheerful, alive and beautiful... So so so, beautiful.                                                                                                                                                   

Now it was red. Nice change though, I liked it.

"Are you ing crazy?" I heard him say to the girl. "These are tiny children, what's your problem?" He added.

"The end of the world is coming!!!" The girl screamed so hard that I thought must've be bleeding or something. But as fast as the scene started it ended. The girl started running towards the opposite direction of Jiyong and dissapeared. 

"Are you little guys ok?" He adressed the 2 children, of about 5 and 6 years old, with a warm smile. "That crazy lady isn't going to hurt you anymore, don't worry... Now, where is your mom?" Jiyong finally asked. 

I decided to approach them then. 

"Uh... Jiyong?" I touched him by the shoulder and he turned his head right away.

"Seunghyun?" His eyes were wide and clear now. "Seunghyun!" The most beautiful smiled was directed to me, that smile that was delivered with pink gums and all, that smile that had brighten up my high school days was looking at me.

He turned his wheelchair a little and hugged me by the waist with all his force. I hugged him back, bending so that my nose was in between his blonde locks.

Unconsciously I smelled it, and it was the best decision of my life, he smelled so great, one more thing that hand't changed about him.

"What's going on?" I asked after we disentangled from each other.

"ed up thing," He snorted. "A girl my age went off her head and hit these little guys right here," he explained, "Of whom by the way, I can't seem to find their mom..." He moved his head from left to right, trying to spot what he was looking for, but it was hard because well... He was in a wheelchair after all.

"Well I can help you with that," quickly I said. 

"See?" he looked at the kids, "Seunghyun-hyung is going to find your mom so there's no need to cry anymore, ok?" He finished with another smile. 

Maybe the children were similar to me, or maybe they weren't, but Jiyong's smile had the same effect in them that it had in me. It was like the smile was saying to you that everything was going to be just fine and you didn't have to worry about anything, ever. The children calmed down, and after that Jiyong put them each in each of his legs and we began our search. 

I pushed them from behind Jiyong's chair while 4 pairs of eyes were going over the supermarket space looking for a familiar face and the other 4 pairs of eyes were looking for a women with a blue coat and a pink scarf with the words "I love Jin Goo&Min Ho" weaved to it. I figured that Jin Goo and Min Ho were the names of the two boys, but their mom interrupted my thoughts when she appeared out of nowhere crying and running towards us. 

I made Jiyong's chair stop and instantly the children came down from Jiyong's legs and ran to their mom. 

 

After Jiyong finished explaining everything to the mom, he said goodbye to the boys, that hugged him and said goobye. I just waved at them and smiled, and they did the same. Their mom thanked us and left. 

"Well, thank you," again that smile. It took me a while before replying.

"No problem, really," now it was my time to respond with a smile. And I looked directly to his eyes, I wanted to do it, I owed it to him. I wanted him to know just by looking at my eyes how uningbelievable happy I was to have seen him again. To be talking to him.

We stayed there I don't know how long, just staring at each other, not particularly saying aything, or thinking something, just staring. Breathing. Being.

"Where have you been, Seunghyun?" Jiyong was the first one to talk. "I missed you." he almost whispered.

"Yeah... I-" I sighed.

"Me too, Jiyong, you can´t imagine," I lowered my eyes, trying to dig in my brain for more words to say but I couldn't find any. 

 

The next thing I knew I was pushing Jiyong's chair again but this time to leave the supermarket. 

We saw so many things.

 

A soldier with a broken arm fixed his stare to the wheel of a Cadillac 


It was like as we were passing the streets everything was showed to us in slow motion.

 

A cop knelt and kissed the feet of a priest

 

The church of the neighborhood was packed with people from all ages and colors, praying.

 

Suddenly it started raining, "That's so weird," Jiyong commented. "But I guess there's nothing left that surprises me anymore," He snorted.

I knew we had to get somewhere anytime because the wheelchair was not going to be able to move if it got soak up with the rain.

With no time to ask Jiyong where he lived, I headed us towards my apartment and we arrived there in 2 minutes. Soak up to our feet yeah, but it wasn't the end of the world... Yet. We still got five years left. 

We entered. "I hope is ok..." I started, standing in front of him, "You know just until the rain stops, and I have some clothes you can change into too, you know if you want to... But if you don't that's ok, we could just-"

"Seunghyun," Jiyong interrupted me, and he giggled. "Yeah, I do want to," he smiled.

"Ok," I was embarrased but without another thought I brought him to my room.

I busied myself looking for the smallest clothes that were in my possesion while Jiyong did his work and moved to sit on my bed.

"Here, I think this will do," I didn't want to look at him in the eyes, not now anyway. 

"Thank you," He said.

"You're welcome," I reply and the room went quiet.

"Uhm... Aren´t you going to, you know, leave for me to change?" Jiyong giggled the second time that day. 

"Oh! I'm so... So sorry." My face turned so red. Why was I suddenly behaving like this? 

"It's ok!" He shouted at me when I was racing to the door and closing it to finally let out the biggest sigh I've ever held in.

 

I went to the kitchen to make us some tea. I checked my phone and I had 27 missing calls and 14 texts from Daesung.

 

Where are you, hyung?!  5:03pm

 

What's your problem?! Didn't you see the news? THE END OF THE WORLD IS COMING SOON! 5:20pm

 

I swear I'm leaving without you Choi Seunghyun 5:57pm

 

I'm on my way to the airport you stupid hyung! 6:30pm

 

asdfghjklpihbwehjbfherbverk 6:33pm

 

No hyung ok, I was lying ;( I'm still waiting for you outside, come please. 6:46pm

 

I hear the teapot screaming at me, I turned the gas off and Jiyong shows up then. I leave my phone above the refrigerator and meet him.

"What was that?" he asked.

"Oh, that was the teapot, I'm making us some tea... I hope that's ok," I replied.

"Seunghyung oh my God, stop saying that. We've been friends for years and seems like you still walk around egg shells with me." He sounded hurt.

"No, no is not that," I rushed in my explanation.

"Is that..." I stopped.

Jiyong embraced my hands in his in that moment and I looked at his eyes again. "I'm sorry," I began.

"For what?" His warm smile disspeared, and his eyes became glassy.

"For leaving you, Jiyong," Finally, I said it.

"From dissapearing and for leaving you alone, I hated myself everyday because of that and I know I shouldn't have done that but I did and I'm sorry... I'm really sorry," I finished.

Jiyong kept holding my hands during my confession, mines were shaking like if I had hypothermia. Maybe I had, after all I hand't change my clothes, but I knew they were shaking because another completly different reason. Unlike Jiyong's, his hands were so firm and calm. 

"Take me to the couch?" Jiyong said.

"What? What do you mean by-" I stopped talking because my mind chose that moment to understand what he was saying.

I bend and put my arms under his legs and naturally he put his right arm around my shoulders and I lift him. Taking 5 steps until we reached the living room, I bend again to leave him in the couch but he says, "No. On your legs, come on sit," never once not looking at my eyes.

My body by this moment was acting just by the instruction of the voice that was warming up everyone and each of my cells.

I sat down on the couch and I put him on my lap, his arms never leaving my shoulders, and I looked him in the eyes, waiting for something to happen,

"Is ok, Seunghyun," now he starts. "I don't know why you dissapeared. I'm not going to deny that it hurt," he continued and I felt like the air of my lungs was running out.

"But-" he blinked three times, I counted them because we were so near that I could even see the little wrinkles around his eyes.

He deeply sighed and then and there, like it was the most natural thing in the world to do, like it was meant to be, as if only it had to happen because it had to happen, he kissed me. He touched his lips with mines, waiting for a response, and it didn't take long for my brain to start functioning and kiss him back. 

 

I could breath again.

 

After all those years apart from him, I could actually breath, deep and nice.

He moved his lips so slowly, like trying to make it last for as long as he could, but I couldn't take it. It was too much. I grabbed his hair and deepened our kiss, darting my tongue out to taste his lips, he opened his mouth with a little hesitation but welcomed my try anyway. 

Flawless, that's how I could describe that kiss. Perfection

 

I kiss you, you're beautiful, I want you to walk.

 

We kissed and I lost track of time and space, our lips and tongues were just moving like as they were making a beautiful dance, drawing all those years we'd lost, all the memories we could have had, had I not left him alone, but those sad thoughts flew through the windows as I lost myself in the passion in which Jiyong was responding to my actions. 

So full of love, nothing more and nothing less. We parted, panting, and it took us a while to be able to think or move again.

"But now," he continued, "You're here, and if you're ok with it, I'd like to stay with you." He said, biting his lower lip and opening his beautiful eyes so big, to look into mines again.

 

We've got five years, stuck on my eyes

We´ve got five years, what a surprise

We´ve got five years, my brain hurts a lot

 

"I-" I meant to say so much, but the only thing my whole being was screaming at me to tell Jiyong was,

"I love you."

And he laughed. Jiyong laughed so loud that I could feel his reverberations in my rib cage. 

"Why the are you laughing?" Seriously, I was shocked.

"I don't know," he teased me. "So was that a yes or a no? Can I stay at your side?" The smile was back and I was going to sell my soul to the devil to make it stay on Jiyong's face everyday that he spend with me.

I didn't laugh but I puffed, and said, "Yeah, I'd like that very much."

Jiyong intensified his hold on my shoulders and got closer to me, if that was even possible.

"I love you too, Seunghyun," he said, bringing our mouths together again but not kissing me, just putting it there, his lips with mines and sighing deeply.

 

And we stayed there like that. I can't bring myself to remember for how long or what we did next, I just know that being able to breath because of him made everything ok. I could easily call love what I felt for Jiyong, because I'd discovered I loved him since the first day we met, but you know, destiny has weird ways to function.

 

We´ve got five years, that's all we´ve got.