You Go First

You Go First

I knew we were made for each other. She smelt like fresh soap. She always dressed in gorgeous pastel colours, complimenting her fair complexion. And she looked at me in a way that nobody else would ever be able to do, I was sure of that.

 

My name is Zhang Yixing. I’m an average 22-year old, and up until a short while ago, my life had no meaning. I felt lifeless.

I knew it was fate when Boyun walked into the bakery I work at. I remember she was wearing a gorgeous lilac pantsuit, complimenting her figure.  She’s really short and slightly plump, making her the most adorable thing ever. She told me she was visiting Seoul for a few days. Sleeping in a hotel meant no oven, which troubled her because she usually bakes a pie every day. Being the sweet tooth she is, she ended up entering through the glass doors of my workplace. Our eyes were immediately drawn to each other, and all I could think of was locking her rosy pink lips with mine. She made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. She was the one for me.

 

The silence between us was broken when her heavy wooden cane dropped to the floor. I instinctively speeded around the wide counter and kneeled down next to her. I was now at eye-level, and her eyes had formed into moon-shaped crescents as she flashed that lovely smile at me. And that was the moment I knew I had fallen for her.

 

You’re probably wondering why Boyun was walking with a cane. Well, she told me she’s been having problems with her right leg. She walks really slowly these days. As a matter of fact, it looks more like shuffling than walking. But she still goes out for her walks every morning, and even gathered the courage to travel to Seoul all by herself. She’s lovely, really. I know you would adore her as well.

 

Boyun has been visiting me at the bakery for the past few days now. I think she likes me too.  And I think this thing we have going on here might be heading somewhere.

I haven’t really told anybody yet. I mean, we make a pretty old coup- ODD!!! I meant to say odd not old!!! Dammit!!! She’s not old okay!?!?

 

. . .

 

Alright so maybe she’s a little old.

 

But age is nothing but a number right? I mean I never expected to fall for a noona either, but you can’t control love. She’s the first person I’ve ever been attracted to, and I know she’ll be the last. Everything feels right when I’m with her. I hear birds singing when she smiles at me. And it feels like the sun follows her every move, and royally showers her with its warm rays. I sound sappy as hell but I don’t even care at this point. She’s the one for me. I don’t care if she’s friggin’ eighty-four years old. There. I said it. What are you going to do about it?

 

People my age . They look at me like I’m worthless, just because I’m shy. But Boyun doesn’t do that. She sees right into my soul. I’ve never sounded so fluffy before but really. What we have is real.

 

Just as I was getting distracted at work, I spot Boyun shuffling in. I swiftly run towards the back of the store to bring out a bouquet of pink tulips. Her favourite.

She greets me with her beautiful eye smile as I kneel down next to her and hand them over. She brings the flowers up to her face and takes the fresh scent in.

“Hmmm. The smell of nature.”

“So you like them, noona?” I smile as I slowly get up.

She raises her head to look up at me. “You know me oh so well, Xingie. Where would I be without you?”

Hearing Boyun say those words to me made the butterflies in my stomach flutter. I want to be with her for the rest of our lives, I’m sure of it.

Her expression suddenly darkens. “Xingie. Noona has to talk to you for minute.”

“Why? What’s wrong?” I start to panic, but try my best not to show it too much. I think she noticed anyway.

“I’m afraid I’m going back home. I can’t stay in Seoul.”

My eyes widen. My heart stops beating. I wouldn’t be surprised if I would be the first between us to suffer from a heart attack. “Noona… you can’t be serious.”

“I’m sorry Xingie. It’s the only way.”

 

Determined to fight for her I raise my hand up, grasping the attention of my lazy boss who was sitting behind his stupid desk in the back of the store, doing nothing but eating. The usual. “Boss!”

“What now Zhang?!”

“I’m going out for a walk!”

I waych my boss get up from his seat, knocking half of the items on his table over with his fat potbelly. “If you have the audacity to walk away right now, I swear to God I will-“

“Fire me? Fine by me! Goodbye you !”

He tries to come after us, but I quickly grab Boyun's wrinkly little hand and her towards the door. I slowly lead her out, making sure she doesn’t trip over the step. “You go first,” I smile. One of my cooler moments I must say. Being chased by a stupid fat man and still managing to come off smooth does require some skills.

Also, I know my boss won’t actually have the nerve to chase an old lady down the stree- WAIT NEVER MIND! She’s not old!!!!

 

. . .

 

Alright so maybe she’s a little old.

 

That wasn’t going to stop me from what I was about to do next.

“Boyun-noona?”

“Yes, Xingie?”

My cheeks flush a bright red. Anytime she stares at me with those sweet sparkling eyes I can feel myself forgetting to breathe. I’m telling you, she’s the cutest thing ever.

“B….B..Boyun… I…”

Her heart-shaped little lips curl upwards. “You can tell me sweetheart. Don’t be nervous.”

“I…I- li- like you!” I didn’t mean to yell the words at her but apparently that was the only way for me to be able to pronounce them.

She links her arm in mine and continues to stroll on. “I like you too Xingie. But I’m afraid I’m too old for you. I mean, in a few years I’m probably going to d-”

“No!” I halt immediately. “Don’t say that Boyunnie! I know you’re not perfect, but that’s not even an issue here. In my eyes, you are more than perfect.  You’re the only one I can see myself ending up with. I need you with me.”

 

She stays quiet for about an hour.

Okay maybe it was just one minute. Or less. Whatever. It seemed to take a lifetime. I feel like crying.

Never have I ever opened up to someone like that. Never did I ever feel like love would be something for me to experience. I watched so many of my friends fall in love, only to get their hearts broken later on. I witnessed so much pain. I swore I’d never love someone, ever. Relationships always seemed to end badly. I used to ask myself the same question over and over. Why get into it all when you could save yourself the heartbreak?

 

- “I need you too Yixing. Come with me to the mountains. We can take care of each other.”

 

And today is the day I’ve officially found my answer.

 


 

Can you imagine what it’s like to spend time in the mountains with the love of your life? I hope you can. If not, I sincerely hope you’ll be able to experience it one day.

Boyun lives closes to a tiny village somewhere up north. I’m not even sure I’d be able to pinpoint my exact current location on the map. It took us two days to travel here. My parents and friends don’t have a clue where I am. They’ve probably found out I quit my job by now, but I basically disappeared. And I’m not looking back.

Boyun is all I need.

 

Her cabin is modest, but cozy nonetheless. Noona told me that she recently got a heater, as well as basic electricity and running water. All of her life, Boyun has lived without all of it. Which I find badass. Now that she’s gotten a bit old- UGH WHY DO I KEEP CALLING HER OLD! SERIOUSLY. SHE. IS. NOT. THAT. OLD!!!

 

. . .

 

Alright so maybe she’s a teensy tiny bit old. Whatever.

 

Anyway as I was saying: she now added some basic necessities to her little cabin, just to make her life a bit easier. Her husband died in the war, and she’s been alone since. She has a daughter and a grandchild, who live in Seoul. That’s why she was there actually, to visit them. She sees them a few times a year, the rest of her time is spent here by herself. And she wouldn’t have it any other way.

 

Though she does really seem to enjoy my company, even though we’ve only known each other for a bit more than a week. We take long walks, lie in the grass, exchange soft sweet kisses. I mean I don’t want to rush anything. Jumping her is a no-go. We’re just taking it slow and enjoying every second we have together. Everything is the way it’s supposed to be. I don’t think I’ve ever been happier.

 


 

Okay so this one afternoon I’m just sitting in the kitchen reading her a book while she’s baking a lemon pie – our favourite recipe. We’ve been living together in her cabin for about a month now, and things are going exceptionally well. I’m growing to love her more each day, and the pleasant thing is that the feelings are mutual.

 

Suddenly, the peace is disturbed by a loud voice coming from outside.

“HELLO!!!!!!!!!!!! GUESS WHO CAME TO VISIT!!!!!!”

 

Boyun looks around in confusion. I wonder why she’s so anxious. I mean I feel a bit nervous too. But it’s just a visitor right? I don’t understand why she suddenly looks so stressed out.

“Noona, what’s wrong?”

“N-Nothing Xingie.”

I feel really worried. “Then why are you freaking out?”

She looks down at her white house slippers. Which look adorable on her by the way. “My… my… he doesn’t know.”

My brows knit into a frown. “Who doesn’t know what?”

“That I’m seeing you… a boy who’s sixty-two years younger than I am.”

I faintly smile as I walked up to her. “I’m a man, Boyunnie. Remember that. We’re not breaking any laws. We’re not going to be put into jail. We love each other. I’m sure it’ll be fine. People might be shocked at first, but once they realize how happy we are together… they can’t really say anything.” I wrap my arms around her and pull her into a tight hug. My chin comfortably rests on top of her head. I want her to feel safe. I will protect her at all costs.

 

Not even bothering to knock, our visitor barges in. I’m not facing him in my current position, but as soon as Boyunnie lays eyes on the young man her body tenses up. She brings her hands to as she gasps. I still don’t understand why she is freaking out so much, then again maybe it comes with old ag- WAITTT WHY DO I KEEP REPEATING THIS SAME RIDICULOUS STATEMENT ABOUT HER AGE WHY SHOULD IT EVEN MATTER I JUS-

 

 

OOOOOOH MY GOD.

 

 

 

“LAY??????!!!!!!!!!!!”

“…B…..B……………Baek- Baekhyun?

“HOW THE HELL DID YOU FIND MY GRANDMOTHER’S HOUSE????!!!!!”

 


 

The next few minutes are absolute chaos.

Boyun has started hitting me with a frying pan, while yelling all kinds of confusing things to Baekhyun.

I had dropped to the floor and was now trying to protect my head from Boyun as much as possible. The combination of the screaming and the noise of stainless steel hitting my skull sounds simply horrendous.

 

“GRANDMA I TOLD YOU TO WATCH OUT FOR THIS STUPID LAY GUY!!”

 

“HOW WAS I SUPPOSED TO KNOW IT WAS LAY?!! HE TOLD ME HIS NAME WAS YIXING!!!”

 

“ARE YOU STUPID GRANDMA? THIS IS THE BOY WHO’S BEEN THIRSTING FOR YOU SINCE THE FIRST DAY I MET HIM!! HE’S DISGUSTING!! ERTED!! A DISGRACE!! AND YOU LOCK YOURSELF UP WITH HIM?! YOU BRING HIM TO YOUR HOUSE?!”

 

“I’M INNOCENT!!!!!!!”

 

“YOU’RE NOT INNOCENT GRANDMA!!! I TOLD YOU TO STOP MESSING WITH THOSE RIDICULOUS TOYBOYS!!”

 

The hitting suddenly stops. I look up, and even though my vision is blurry, I could clearly distinguish Boyun's plump little arm holding the pan in the air. She’s completely frozen. She has a look in her eyes I’ve never seen before. The sparkles have disappeared. All I see now is pure horror and disgust.

 

“Baekhyunnie. I want you to know the man on my floor is not a toyboy.”

 

Baekhyun throws his arms up in frustration. “HE’S NOT!? YEAH RIGHT, AND I’M A MEMBER OF DBSK. NICE TRY GRAN.”

 

“Seriously Baekhyun. He’s not. My. Toyboy.”

 

“THEN WHAT IS HE?!”

 

Boyun narrows her big eyes as she glares down at me. “He kidnapped me. Yixing is… a .

 

I remember seeing my good friend Baekhyun grabbing an oddly shaped item made of steel from his inner pocket and throwing it towards Boyun. She obviously wasn’t able to catch the damn thing, so it dropped right by her feet. I actually had a chance to pick it up first, but I couldn’t bring myself to it.

 


 

My name is Zhang Yixing. I was an average 22-year old, and up until a short while ago, my life had no meaning. I felt lifeless.

 

Boyun was the one that gave me life. And Boyun was the one that took it from me.

 

I watch as the sweet old lady took the gun and pointed it to my forehead. It might have been my imagination, but I vaguely sense a small sparkle reappearing in her eyes. She smirks at me. “You go first."

 

 



 

A/N:

O.O