Staying Cool

Staying Cool

Summer break came hard and fast. 

 

 

Kunpimook was perched on the edge of the bench nearest to the entrance of the park. He glared at the birds chirping up above him and he dared any of them to drop something foul on his head. They looked down at him with beady black eyes and he moved as close to the edge of the bench as was possible without falling off.  

 

It was really way too hot. 

 

 

Sweat beaded along his brow and dripped down his cheek, he wiped his face absently with the back of his hand, already regretting everything. The heat was playing tricks on his mind and he was in the middle of wondering why exactly he was waiting here in the park during the hottest time of the day for a person he really shouldn’t be waiting for because they were always always late.  

 

 

Something cold was shoved against his cheek and Kunpimook cringed at the feeling, eyes flicking up to a face that was way too cheerful for this sort of heat. 

 

 

“I’m sorry-” Yugyeom was saying, grin so wide Kunpimook thought his face might break. If he didn’t break it first. 

 

  

“You’re so late!” Kunpimook whined, stomping his sneakered feet against the packed dirt of the path. Yugyeom clutched the sweating carton of strawberry milk to his chest, his cheeks dusted with pink and if it was from embarrassment or the heat Kunpimook wasn’t sure.

 

    

“You’re really cute.” Yugyeom said and he was talking in the voice he used when Kunpimook was irritated, sickly sweet and dripping persuasion. Kunpimook really hated him sometimes. 

 

    

“You’re really ugly.” The smaller boy said, squinting up at the extremely attractive boy he’d just called ugly. The insult didn’t faze Yugyeom and he reached down to curl his long fingers around Kunpimook’s wrist, hauling him upwards. 

 

    

“Where do you want to go?” He asked, cheerfully throwing an arm across the shorter boy’s shoulders. Kunpimook almost buckled under the sudden weight, the heat making his knees wobbly.

 

    

“The Arctic.” 

 

    

Yugyeom laughed, steering Kunpimook down the path and out through the park entrance. He handed him the carton of milk and Kunpimook gulped it down, wiping his lips and making a face because the drink had gone lukewarm while they had been talking. 

 

    

They ended up at an ice cream parlor and while Kunpimook spoke with the cashier, the taller boy peered through the glass at the different flavors on display. He jumped up and down with glee and pointed when Kunpimook turned his way.

 

    

“They have strawberry!”

    

    

Five minutes later they were both sitting under an umbrella outside the parlor, Kunpimook had his sunglasses on and he pulled the oversized neck of his t-shirt back onto his shoulder, the ice cream that was melting down his fingers. Yugyeom was humming some tune off key and Kunpimook watched as he poked a hole in the middle of his cone with his thumb by accident.

 

    

“Dammit,” He wailed, sticky thumb in mouth as he twirled the cone sideways to keep ice cream from dripping down the side. Kunpimook laughed and the taller boy flicked his nose. 

 

    

“It’s really hot.” Kunpimook grumbled, lips sticky and neck sweaty. Yugyeom leaned back in his plastic chair, the front legs leaving concrete. 

 

    

“Let’s go watch a movie or something.” He suggested, throwing the cone for the birds to eat. Kunpimook watched as the birds brawled for the delicacy, feathers flying and beaks snapping. 

 

    

“My parents aren’t home,” he replied distantly, suddenly recalling their trip to the country to see his grandparents. He yelped when he was yanked from his chair, pulled by a hand down the sidewalk towards his neighborhood. “Ow! Yugyeom-” The taller boy turned and grinned at him, and the look in his eyes made Kunpimook nervous. 

 

    

“Romantic comedy?”

 

    

“Ew.”

 

    

“How about action thriller?”

 

    

“No.”

 

    

“War movie?”

 

    

“Horror.” Kunpimook clucked his tongue and crossed his arms, a dvd case clutched in one hand. 

 

    

Yugyeom sighed deeply, but took the case and popped it open, inserting the disk into the waiting tray and pushing it in. “You really aren’t romantic at all.” Kunpimook grinned slyly at him but said nothing as the movie started playing. 

 

    

It was halfway through the of the movie and Yugyeom was practically asleep, sitting on the floor in front of Kunpimook, back against the couch and head lolling from side to side. Creepy music eerily filled his dimly lit living room and when an ax was suddenly buried in the protagonist’s head Kunpimook’s fingers found Yugyeom’s hair and pulled slightly. 

 

    

“Scared?” Yugyeom asked, his sleepy voice hoarse and deep. Much different from awake Yugyeom and Kunpimook ignored him, watching as blood splattered everywhere on the screen. “Ouch… I won’t have any hair if you don’t stop pulling.”

 

    

Kunpimook looked down and realized he had fistfuls of Yugyeom’s hair in his hands and he released the strands, biting his lip, “Sorry.” Their eyes locked and Yugyeom tilted his head, while Kunpimook hurriedly looked back to the television, not liking what the glow did to the planes of Yugyeom’s face.  

 

    

There was a sudden dip in the couch and Kunpimook was pulled against a giant body, legs wrapping around him like a sloth and long arms holding him in place. The smaller boy struggled for a moment before giving up as Yugyeom’s rumbling laugh reverberated throughout his own body. 

 

    

“I got you, you can be scared all you want now.” He was grinning and Kunpimook could feel it through his hair, because Yugyeom’s face was buried in it. 

 

    

“You aren’t cool at all.” Kunpimook complained, his voice trailing into a squeak because Yugyeom had his fingers under his shirt. A blood curdling scream filled the room and Kunpimook froze, while Yugyeom started laughing again. The credits began rolling and Kunpimook wriggled in Yugyeom’s arms until the boy let him go. 

 

    

“No, I’m definitely not cool at all.” He agreed, watching as Kunpimook jumped over the table in the middle of the floor to cut the player off. 

 

    

“I’m hungry.” Kunpimook announced once the room was bathed in the soft blue glow of the television, “Let’s make ramen.” He was passing the couch on his way to the kitchen when a finger hooked onto the hem of his t-shirt and made him tumble back onto the couch. He began to protest but then hands were holding his jaw and he felt lips against his pressing deep and eager. 

 

    

His shorts were riding up and it was uncomfortable but the feeling was soon eclipsed by the sensation of moving lips and strong hands and dammit. His fingers rose to clasp onto Yugyeom’s wrists, the other’s firm grip on his face making it hard to pull away. He eventually did, and he took a deep breath, tongue coming out to his lips, “Yugyeom, I’m hungry.” 

 

    

Against the glow of the television screen Kunpimook realized how much paler Yugyeom was than himself. He was admiring the contrast when the taller boy grabbed his wrist and flipped it over, tracing the vein up sensitive skin until Kunpimook was shivering. Fingers gripped his bicep and pulled him forwards, so he was hovering over Yugyeom, one arm bracing himself against the top of the couch. Yugyeom’s other hand was wandering and it landed on his thigh, he squeezed hard at the flesh and Kunpimook felt lightheaded. The neck of his t-shirt was sliding down his shoulder again and he stared as Yugyeom’s gaze turned from his lips to the skin there, swallowing hard when he recognized the look in his eyes. 

 

    

“This is probably going to sound really corny but it kind of feels appropriate to say in this situation and you’ll probably punch me but-” Yugyeom was still staring and his ears were red and Kunpimook really didn’t have patience anymore. 

 

    

“Just say it.” He bit out, thick lips going slack when those long fingers went from his bicep to trace the tendon down his neck. 

 

    

“I’m hungry too but right now I can think of better things to eat than ramen.” He grinned and it was really stupid so Kunpimook punched him in the chest. “Dammit Bam-” Yugyeom growled and Kunpimook smiled sweetly in return. 

 

    

“We’re eating ramen tonight.” He jumped slightly when Yugyeom’s hand gripped the back of his neck, warmth seeped from his palm and Kunpimook’s mouth went dry. The other boy massaged the skin before pinching a little, the mischievous smile that Kunpimook had grown to distrust across his features.  

 

    

After.” 

 

    

Yugyeom’s voice was deep again and Kunpimook decided that he shouldn’t say anything. Because he couldn’t actually say anything. So instead, he punched him again and swallowed the loud protests right after.