Dear Alyson

Army of Two
Chanyeol’s life has been completely changed since he met Baekhyun. All he could think of was how to make his cute little boyfriend happy and it was not so easy at times. Baekhyun was moody, going from an adorable romantic lover to a y diva. It was quite hard to deal with, however Chanyeol was so in love with him that it didn’t even matter. Yes, Baekhyun had trust issues, but nothing that would stop Chanyeol.

Baekhyun was sitting on a bench near the lake. The sun was setting, painting the sky in a warm mixture of orange, pink and red. It was a lovely scenery. Taking a glance at the shiny ring on his finger, he could not believe that 5 years have already past. He took out a pen and opened the notebook he bought a couple of years back, especially for what he was about to take down.

On the first page he wrote “For my peach – my sunshine – my beautiful daughter, Alyson”. Carefully turning the page, he began his story – a story filled with hope, love, tears, starry eyes, sleepless nights, a hundred phone calls, rose petals, a guitar, sincere confessions and one tall guy who transformed Baekhyun into a better person.

Alyson,

You are a little ball of fluff right now and all you do all day is run around, laugh, leave your lego around for me to trip over, play with dolls and make my day brighter. Years from now, this notebook will be in your hands - my story in your mind. You will come to find out that I am not a very open person and the words I am not able to voice, I write down. Therefore, this is a real story – how your father changed me, never giving up on our love.

Five years ago, Chanyeol proposed to me. Going down memory lane, it could have been a very sweet proposal, had I not ruined it and shred it to pieces. But then again, what’s one’s life without drama.

I remember it like it happened yesterday; it was around 7 in the evening when I arrived home. As I opened the door to our apartment, something didn’t feel quite right. It was Friday which meant that Chanyeol should come home later than I, as his shift at the hospital was longer. 

So, why the hell did I smell turkey and Chanyeol’s cologne? I slowly entered the apartment and what I saw clearly took me aback. From the lobby, a trail of pinkish rose petals was leading me to the middle of the living room. 

There was a nicely arranged table and evertything – absolutely every inch of the apartment was covered in roses. There was no light , as candles were creating the perfect romantic atmosphere and providing enough light for me not to trip over something. I dropped my bag on the floor and headed to the table. Two chairs, two plates, one wine glass. On my seat was a little hand-written note saying, :”Come out on the balcony. Oh, and take your glass.” 

My heart was pumping out of my chest. I had no idea that Chanyeol was going to propose to me, probably because he always clouded my head, making me not able to think straight. Taking my glass, I stepped out on the balcony. It was a chilly night, a clear sky covering the bustling city. Chanyeol was leaning on the edge, spinning the glass and looking up at the sky. 

The wind was playing with his hair and his ears were slightly red from the cold. As I closed the door behind me, he turned around and hugged me. It was one of those hugs full of meaning, neither of us wanting to break it. We stayed like that for a couple of minutes, then we started swinging left and right. 

Chanyeol leaned down and kissed my forehead, then my eyes, my nose and lastly my lips. I could taste the wine on his lips and it was driving me crazy. We parted and looked in each other’s eyes. I had a feeling that something was going to happen, Chanyeol’s eyes being filled with love and hope at the same time. I asked him “What is all this for?” while pointing at the table inside. 

He cupped my face with his big hands that would always make me feel safe and whispered, “Oh, nothing special. I just want to show you how much I love you,” – a peck on the lips, “I adore you,” – cute kiss on the nose –“I cherish you,” – another peck on my now frozen lips – “and in general how much you lighten up my day.”

I was on the verge of crying; I could not believe how much love he could put into such simple words. Before the first tear rolled down my cheek, he grabbed my empty hand and led me to the table. We started talking about our day and we had a peaceful dinner. He cooked me turkey with orange sauce, my favourite fancy dish, and the mere fact that he managed to not burn down the kitchen was amazing. 

The food was delicious, the apartment was dreamy – Chanyeol was dreamy. After we finished our meal, we chatted for another half an hour about nothing in particular. 

Then, he suddenly shut up, nervousness written all over his face. His cheeks turned pink and I am sure it was not the candle light making them seem like that. He stood up and came before me. Grabbing my hand, he got on one knee and then my whole world stopped. 

He looked me in the eyes and asked, “I know this is sudden, but I love you too much to wait any longer. Byun Baekhyun, do you want to take a big step and marry this fool in front of you?” I could not breathe and my heart skipped more beats than it should have. 

One thing that I was always afraid of was marriage, having children, anything that involved spending a long period of life with another human being. 

When I was a kid, my mom told me to never trust anyone. My dad left her when she got pregnant with me, although they were married. That’s why all my life she advised me to not get too involved, to not get married and other stuff like that. She implanted that in my head and when your Dad asked me if I wanted to do the thing I was most scared of, I ran. I was a coward. 

I slapped Chanyeol’s hand and got up. I ran to the door, tripping over everything and got out of the apartment. I kept running and running, although what was I running away from? 

After 15 minutes I stopped in front a house. Unconsciously I must have headed towards my best friend’s house. I knocked a few times on the door, forgetting that it was already pretty late and I might wake him up. The house came to live and a sleepy Kyungsoo looked at me confused.

“Baek, hey what are you- Oh my God, why are you crying? Did something happen to Chanyeol?” I did not even notice that I started crying. I was cold, tired, ashamed of myself, scared. I basically felt miserable.

“I am such a coward, Kyungsoo. I cannot believe it. I ruined everything. I was just doing what I was told.” I started crying harder.

“Shhh, Don’t cry. What are you talking about? Is everything okay?” He pulled me into a tight hug. “Baek, you are freezing cold. Come inside, I’ll make you some tea.”

I scoffed. Everything was terrible. I hurt Chanyeol so bad – what the hell was I thinking running away like that? I was acting totally like a child.

Kyungsoo made me some tea and covered me with blankets. We plopped down the couch and he patiently waited for me to start talking. He was a caring friend – the perfect medicine for my sorrow.

“I am a terrible person, Kyung.”

“Stop talking like that. You are not terrible. Tell me what happened.”

“Chanyeol…I-He-…” Thinking about it made me want to cry again.

“I am here, Baek. Whenever you’re ready.” He caressed my shoulder, relaxing me a little.

“Chanyeol proposed to me.”

“Oh wow, Baek this is awesome. Wait…why are you here then?”

“Like I said, I am a terrible person,”

“You got scared and ran away, right?”

“Am I that predictable?””

“Hmm, not really, unless one has known you since they were five.” I giggled. Kyungsoo and I have been best friends since forever. He knew everything about me and I about him.

“So, you ran. Now what?”

“I don’t know. On one hand I am so ashamed and scared to see him. On the other hand…God, I-I don’t know. I am a walking mess of mixed feelings and crappy childhood.”

“Heeey, I was a part of your crappy childhood, rememeber?”

“Not you, Kyung. This is not about you goddamit.”

“Okay, okay, don’t get angry. Can I say something? But don’t punch me.”

“Sure, go ahead.”

“You won’t punch me?”

“No, just say it.”

“Promise.”

I sighed.

“I promise. Now spill it out.”

“How can you throw something so good away? I cannot believe you. Byun Baekhyun, you are my best friend and I’ve known you since you picked your nose and ate your buggers. I love you and I understand that you are scared, but this is Chanyeol we’re talking about. He loves you more than he loves his mother.”

“You think I don’t know it, Kyung?”

“Why don’t you call him to come over and have a talk?”

“No. I cannot face him right now.”

“Baek-”

“Don’t try to convince me Kyung. If I cannot stay here than I’ll leave, but-”

“Of course you can stay here, I just don’t want to see you so hurt.”

We ended our conversation as I was in no mood for Kyungsoo’s motherly bickering.

One week has passed until I saw Chanyeol again. It is not that long, but I was feeling like  all the time – all I wanted to do was see him, apologize, hug him, kiss him, tell him how much I love him. He called Kyungsoo multiple times as I hadn’t brought my phone with me. At last, he stopped after the 100th call, when Kyungsoo told him that I did not want to speak with him. 

The time I spent alone on Kyungsoo’s couch, made me think about all my dates with Chanyeol and how at first we were just playing around, acting all innocent, neither of us even considering that we were becoming pretty serious about each other. Day by day, he showed how much he loved me and here I was alone and insecure.

It was Friday. One week had passed since Chanyeol proposed. I was lazily lying on the couch, my only companions being wet tissues and instant ramen. A loud bang on the door awakened me from my ty state. I stumbled towards the door and slowly opened it. Chanyeol was there, his head hanging low. He was not even looking at me. 

We both stood there, too afraid to do or say something. I knew it was my fault for all of this, but I couldn’t bring my mouth to open. After some awkward seconds, I invited him in. We both sat on the couch – each at one end. Chanyeol was staring at me and I was feeling even worse.

“Chanyeol,” My hands were sweaty; I could feel my whole body shaking from nervousness.

“Wait, Baek. Let me say it first. I-I…I love you, alright? I want you to know this. I understand if you don’t want to marry me and end this now. Just don’t run aw-”

“Yeol, I love you too much for my own good. Stop saying stupid things,”

“Then why the hell did you run like I had asked you to kill yourself or something?” He looked pretty mad, but I wasn’t blaming him. He put all that effort into creating something special and I ruined it.

“I am so sorry. So, so, so, so sorry I can’t express it in words. I feel so ashamed of myself, I hurt you and I hate myself for it.”

Chanyeol grabbed my hand and was rubbing small circles on the back of it.

“Baek, I need you to trust me. I know you are not so fond of long-term anythings. I know, because you told me. However, I hoped that for me you could make an exception.”

“I-I want to make an exception. It’s just…”

“Just what? You think I don’t love you enough?”

He placed my hand on his chest.

“Do you feel that? My heart is beating so fast for you. Just by looking at you, feeling you, smelling you, hearing you…You have such an effect on me. You got me good.”

I watched him. He was gorgeous and caring and kind and loving and anything I could ask for. So why was I so afraid to say one word?

“I have an idea. I know how to make you trust me.”

“Yeol, what are you…”

He shut me with a quick kiss and then lifted me off the couch.

“Yeol, what the hell are you doing? Put me down.”

“Shush, love. I am kidnapping you.”

He was kidnapping me. It sounded hilarious, but the look on his face told me otherwise. He was deadly serious.

Gently placing me on the passenger’s seat of his car, he closed the door and then got in himself. I was shifting awkwardly not knowing what to say or even if I should say something. Chanyeol didn’t spare a glance at me the whole time. 

We drove in silence for about three hours, until we reached a forest road. We were driving through the middle of a wood and I was genuinely scared. We stopped in front of a big house. Chanyeol turned off the engine and got out of the car. I did the same.

“I brought you here, because I wanted us to be alone.”

“You are not going to kill me, right?”

He chuckled.

“, you got me.” I laughed.

“What is this house?”

“It’s my parents’ lake house. Pretty cool, huh? I’ve wanted to bring you here since we met, but we were both busy and yeah.”

“Ït’s beautiful. Wait, a lake?”

“Yeah, you’ll see later. Let’s go inside.”

We went inside the house, which by the way was enormous. Our apartment could fit in there five times. Chanyeol told me to take a shower and he brought me clean clothes. He gave me one of his sweaters. I closed my eyes, focusing on his scent. 

The feeling of the sweater on my skin was like Chanyeol embracing me in a warm hug. After wandering around the house, I spotted him on the front porch.

I went to him, but I was too afraid to go near him. He might not want to see me, so I kept the distance. However, he noticed me the second I stepped on the porch. Turning around, he grabbed me by the wrist and pulled me after him. 

We ran like two little children, until we arrived on a wooden pier. In front of me was a breath-taking scenery. It was like I found myself in a painting. Most of my view was covered by the crystal blue lake, which was bordered at the other end by huge trees. 

The sky was clear, puffy white clouds dancing in the breeze. I almost didn’t notice all the roses and the guitar lying next to Chanyeol, who was now sitting at the end of the pier. He patted the spot next to him, meaning I should go and sit down. I did what he wanted me to do.

“You looked so charming right there.” I blushed.

“Yeol, what is all this? Why did you bring me here?”

“Patience, love. Like I said, I wanted to us to be alone. I cannot express all I feel through words, so just listen carefully.”

Chanyeol grabbed his guitar and started strumming the chords. He opened his mouth and his deep voice gave me goose bumps.

I came, I saw, tore down these walls

Block one way, I’ll find another

You know you’ll always be discovered

If it’s me, you choose, I can’t lose

I’m in love with you if you love me too, yeah

A tear started rolling down my face.

He was looking at me, watching my reaction.

Don’t ever change, and I’ll stay the same

We’ll be swimming in the same direction

And we’ll never lose this connection

Nothing they can do can stop this army of two

We’re marching to the future, yeah, it’s me and you…

A warm breeze made me shiver a little, brushing the roses away into the water.

So just follow my lead, repeat after me

Our faith is the bullet, hope is the gun

And love is all we need

Now fear’s on the run

We’ve already won

Now march with the band, raise your right hand

We’ve only just begun…

This was all I ever hoped for. The sun began to set, giving us an impossibly perfect moment.

I took a vow to never let you down

When it’s us, there ain’t no competition

I can be the star on which you’re wishing

I never doubted for a moment it’s true

I love all of you if you love me too, yeah

Another tear. It took only a moment; something in my mind clicked. I wanted to be with Chanyeol for the rest of my life.

So just follow my lead, repeat after me

Our faith is the bullet, hope is the gun

And love is all we need

Now fear’s on the run

We’ve already won

Now march with the band, raise your right hand

We’ve only just begun…

It’s the moment of truth, I’m counting on you

This army of two

I've only just begun

It’s the moment of truth, I’m counting on you

This army of two

I've only just begun…

He finished the song and put the guitar down. We were both crying. I hugged him the tightest I could. I never wanted to let him go. I cupped his face and whispered, “Yes.” He looked at me confused, then realizing what I meant, his face brightened.

I started shouting that I love him, that nothing can tear us apart, that I had been a fool. He kissed me hard, putting all his passion, hope, desire and love in it.

Baekhyun sighed and looked up at the sky. It was getting dark outside.

He looked over what he had written and smiled. Five years have passed since he and Chanyeol got married and he couldn’t be happier. Two years after they got married, they adopted the cutest baby girl and named her, Alyson.

Baby girl, the reason I’ve written this for you is…well, I just want you to know what true love is. I don’t want you to be a scaredy-cat like Daddy. I want you to take risks and believe in yourself and the ones you love. You will understand when you grow up. Until then, stay healthy and stop leaving your lego all around the house.

Love, your Dad,

Baekhyun.”



A/N: Here it is <3 The song Chanyeol plays and sings is Army of Two by Olly Murs. 3221 Words. I apologize for any mistakes - I did not double-check it. I hope you like it. Enjoy, comment and subscribe ^^