Cousins?

No Labels
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

 

 

 

“Xiumin?” Luhan slowly eased himself out of the warm coat.

 

“That boy’s practically searching the campus for you. You better get back to the dorms before he files a missing report to the teachers.” He sounded a bit irritated. Xiumin wasn’t looking at Luhan, but towards the empty field.

 

“Sehun?...”

 

Xiumin kept silent.

 

 

 

Luhan tried to sit comfortably despite the awkward atmosphere between them. He can tell something’s wrong with Xiumin, although he’s not that genius enough to figure out what his cousin’s thinking right now. Luhan decided to follow where Xiumin’s eyes are wandering.

 

The field under the brightly lit starry sky.

 

 

 

 

Four years ago, I met my first love once again. I never thought I’d see him again. I practically grew up in the province, so I could only see him during summer and winter breaks…if they’d come home for a visit.

Although we’re cousins, I knew it was love the moment my eyes laid upon Luhan back when we were kids. I remember every memory I’ve made with him.  The time we spent at the playground playing what might probably consider as soccer, eating ice creams, getting reprimanded by our parents after coming home with both our clothes soaked with drops of ice cream and dirt from playing. Luhan and I would laugh and have fun together.

When I grew a bit older, and understood the issues of falling in love with a family member, it really broke my heart. I tried dating other people, just to forget about Lu. But my heart can’t comprehend what my mind has been telling it since that day. So I decided to just drop the dating act. If we’re meant to be, then let fate guide our paths together. If it did, then I’ll act on it, regardless of what others may say.

 

That same day I made such promise, was the day I did see Luhan once more – but he’s not the same joyful and smiling Luhan. He was a total wreck, eyes red and tired from too much crying. He lost some weight too, just as he lost those beautiful smiles from his lips I used to love. That was the day Luhan’s father - my uncle’s remains were brought back for the funeral. Luhan saw me standing by the main house’s front door. He nodded slowly and smiled sadly, breaking my heart into pieces.

 

That day I promised myself that Luhan will never be this miserable again.

 

 

 

 

 

The field reminded me of the time when I saw Xiumin again. It was the day we arrived for my father’s funeral. It was horrible back then. I felt like everything was at its end. I couldn’t even tell how long it took me to stop crying. But I tried to be strong for my mother, for us.

Xiumin was standing outside. He grew a bit taller than before, and gotten a bit muscular too. I nodded towards his direction and smiled at him, just to show that I would very much appreciate a friend right now. Xiumin slowly walked towards me and my mother. After giving his condolences, he asked my mom if he could borrow me for a while. I was surprised though, but my mother smiled back at him and told us not to go far away, since it’s already dark outside.

 

“Where are we going?” I asked him after almost two minutes of walking. It was deadly dark outside, bath the path we’ve been traversing all along seemed to glow because of the starry night.

Xiumin strengthened his grip on my hands, causing me to realize that they’re, without a doubt, intertwined together.

“Somewhere special.” Xiumin looked back and smiled.

 

The path seemed to lead to a few trails of trees perfectly aligned with each other. The moon hazily peaks once in a while to the softly spread branches that seem to hide the lonely breeze of the night. The route slowly became nostalgic in front of my eyes, as if telling me that I’ve already been here before.

 

 

Another tug from Xiumin made me stumble and lose my balance.

 

“Ouch!” I felt pain bolting straight from my knees. I hoped it wasn’t scraped, but as I felt warm liquid my skin, I knew it was too late.

 

“Lu! I’m sorry! Are

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter