Strawberry Milk

Strawberry Milk

note: they are fetuses oh my god.

 

Kunpimook Bhuwakul wanted to throw himself into a black hole and stay there awhile. Sure. Go and spill your strawberry milk all over the new exchange student from South Korea. Sure. Go and try to clean it up with your dirty napkin, uselessly wiping at the crotch of his stained pants. Sure. Go and make a fool of yourself as you go beet red with embarrassment, not daring to look the other in the face because goddamn he was big. Sure, sure, sure. They were the only two in the classroom and Kunpimook only felt a little terrified at the prospect of dying alone. He cursed his ill luck and his bad habit of not looking before turning around.


“Hey,” The boy was saying and Kunpimook was yanked back into the present. He swallowed thickly. “You’re Bambam right?” The boy’s gaze was hard on him and Kunpimook panicked. He opened his mouth and closed it, eyes going wide like a goldfish when the boy gingerly plucked the napkin from his fingers. Their hands touched and Kunpimook went rigid as electricity ran up his spine. The boy looked down at the mess and then up again, his eyebrow twitched slightly and Kunpimook released the breath he had been holding.

He fled.

He didn’t even look back as he tore out of the classroom, ignoring the curious cries from his friends as he passed them outside in the hall. He didn’t stop until he reached the boys lavatory, hands on his knees as he gasped for breath. What the hell was he doing. Get a grip Bambam. He felt his face get hot at the memory of him bouncing off of the taller boy, strawberry milk exploding everywhere and dripping from the boy’s long bangs. The look in his eyes as he stared down, that small level of appraisal and the subtle quirk of an eyebrow that had made Kunpimook squirm as if butterfly wings were tickling his insides.

Get. A. Grip.

Kunpimook straightened, eyes going to the mirror and widening with surprise. He spun around and backpedaled, his thighs hitting the sink as he gripped the porcelain, knuckles going white. He would have laughed at the irony of it all if he wasn’t already so horrified. Standing in the doorway, the tall form of the boy was silhouetted against the fluorescent lights. He had taken his jacket off and it was slung over one shoulder, finger hooked on the collar. Pink stains ran down his carefully pressed button down, onto his trousers and over his- Kunpimook looked back up, cheeks as pink as a cherry blossom tree in bloom.

“You are Bambam right?”

Kunpimook blinked and then nodded slowly. Oddly enough, the other boy looked relieved and he smiled, the expression changing the stern angles of his face. It was kind of… cute but Kunpimook didn’t trust it and sidled away as the boy walked further into the room. He dropped his coat beside a sink and looked at himself in the mirror while his fingers worked to twist the faucet on. He ran his hands a few times under the water before turning to glance at Kunpimook, who had now backed into the wall opposite from where the other boy was standing.

“You look like a scared rabbit.” He laughed and it was kind of annoying but dammit his accent was adorable and Kunpimook’s eyes narrowed. His fear had all but dissipated and now all he felt was suspicion, this boy wanted something from him. Just what exactly, he wasn’t sure. The boy was dabbing fruitlessly at the stains with a wet paper towel, muttering quietly to himself in Korean and occasionally glancing back towards where Kunpimook was still standing, shooting him this smile that just reeked of friendliness and good intentions. “Is Bambam your real name?”

“How do you even know that?” Kunpimook finally asked, his lips directly after because oh, maybe that wasn’t the best way to introduce oneself to a person who just had strawberry milk spilt all over them. The boy didn’t seem to mind though and in fact, he looked amused. The corners of his mouth were twitching.

“Your friends told me. They also told me you take lunch in the classroom, and that you’re really good at English and tutor sometimes for extra cash.” He grinned and Kunpimook was flabbergasted.

Those little traitors.

“Not anymore. I mean. I don’t tutor anymore, I eat in the classroom because it’s quiet and I-” Kunpimook shut his mouth when he noticed the other boy staring at him again and his lower lip trembled without him meaning it to. The boy was still watching him as he turned back towards the mirror, raising the paper towel to wipe at his forehead while the other hand pushed sticky bangs away.

“I was wondering if you could tutor me, I really .”

Kunpimook’s eyes drifted from the ceiling back to the boy and he frowned.

“I really do. I’m terrible, listen.” He began talking in English, his pronunciation too exaggerated and his exuberant hand movements making Kunpimook choke with surprise. “See now?”

“You’re awful.”

“I know. I need all the help I can get.” He smiled again and it made his eyes crinkle, the corners curving upwards. Kunpimook realized belatedly that now he was the one who was staring and he quickly looked away, while the laughter of the other boy followed him. “How old are you?”

All these questions were starting to get on Kunpimook’s nerves and he puckered his lips, blowing out like a blowfish before sighing, “We’re in the same class.”

“Yeah, but I just wanted to know if you were older or younger than me.” He was leaning against the sink and Kunpimook’s eyes followed the droplet of water running along his jaw. He bit the inside of his lip and forced his eyes to move back upwards.

“Does it matter?”

The boy hummed, “I guess not.”

They looked at each other for a good three seconds, just looked, and Kunpimook swore he could see stars and promises and ice cream in the taller boy’s eyes. He made a split decision then. Managing to muster whatever courage he had left in his body, he walked up to the other boy. The student towered over him and Kunpimook looked up, not sure he liked this new angle at all. The boy stared down at him, a small smile still tinging his features as he waited patiently for whatever Kunpimook was going to say. It would have been awkward, but Kunpimook was always a little immune to awkwardness because he was so awkward himself and if the other boy was uncomfortable he definitely wasn’t showing it.

“And if I agree? … To the tutoring thing.” He felt a small tingle of electricity itch at the palms of his hands.

“I’ll buy you as much strawberry milk as you want.”

Kunpimook’s eyes dulled briefly, “I guess that’s okay.”

“And we can share it!” The exclamation made Kunpimook shut down a little inside and he stored the memory of the taller boy’s voice going ridiculously high and childish about ‘we’ and ‘sharing’. He was about to answer about how he would rather not when the boy bent his head suddenly and Kunpimook only had so much time to prepare himself before a hand was on the back of his neck urging him forwards to meet a pair of well crafted lips.

There were no bells or fireworks but Kunpimook supposed they could have been drowned out by the still running water in the sink or the heavy beating of his heart. The boy smelled like his strawberry milk and a mixture of whatever deodorant he used and well boy. He was in the middle of thanking his parents for giving birth to him when he realized he was on his tippy toes with his eyes closed and wow this guy had nice lips and teeth and oh that was a tongue… he blinked rapidly once he came to his senses, shaking the haze that had fallen over him to pull back against the hand holding him in place. He took a deep breath and was about to say something when a large palm clamped over his mouth.

“Before you freak out on me… My name is Yugyeom.” The boy said, a sudden bright smile crinkling his eyes again and making him look like a teddy bear. He dropped his hand from Kunpimook’s lips and the latter frowned.

“Kunpimook.” He replied seriously, still breathless from the kiss and not smiling because his lip was trembling again.

“I think I’ll just call you Bambam if that’s okay.” Yugyeom chirped cheerfully, his teeth were showing and Kunpimook thought it entirely unacceptable.

“I’ll decide that later.” Kunpimook breathed, his limbs like jelly.

“When you tutor me.” Yugyeom shot back, eyes bright.

If I tutor you.” Kunpimook didn’t like where this was going at all, “You can let go now.”

“You can’t stand, can you?” Yugyeom released his hold on the other boy’s waist and Kunpimook found that yes indeed he could stand thank you very much. It was just walking that might be a little difficult.

“Wasting my time just for strawberry milk…” Kunpimook grumbled, more to himself than to anyone else but Yugyeom definitely heard and answered anyways.

“I promise you'll get more than that.” There was that subtle eyebrow raise again and Kunpimook almost punched him in the face, if he wasn’t so much smaller and just a tad bit scared still. (Scared of what he wasn’t exactly sure at this point.) He glared openly instead, walking past Yugyeom and towards the entrance.

“I’ll think about it.”

“I’ll see you for lunch tomorrow?” Yugyeom called back hopefully.

“Probably not.” Kunpimook shrugged, giving him a strange look, “I might eat on the roof now.”

“Or you could come back here and share some strawberry milk with me.” Yugyeom had his jacket across his shoulders now and the damp spots on his shirt clung to the slight curve of muscle under the fabric. His hair was pushed back from his face and Kunpimook almost wanted to put his fingers through it and mess it up.

Almost.

“Yeah, I’ll think about it.”