FINAL

Not Even A Goodbye

 

I'm so sorry for the long wait! I didn't update last week because I was having my preliminary exam. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Taecyeon and Yoona are dating for 5 years now. Since they have been together for quite some time, they think they’re really inseparable. All of their friends envied their relationship. Others think that they are the ‘it’ couple. They have made different vows to each other swearing that never would they leave and replace each other. In that past 5 years, those vows seemed to be working out so well. Rarely do they fought and had misunderstandings. During those times that they had petty quarrels, the one who is at fault would quickly apologize. It will only take them a few hours to make up. Taecyeon never cheated on Yoona nor Yoona did. But just right after their fifth year anniversary, everything seemed to have changed.

Yoona and Taecyeon are studying in one of the most prominent universities in Korea. Since they are taking different majors, their schedules vary. Both are in the same class when it comes to minor subjects, but when it comes to major subjects, obviously, they are on different classes. Taecyeon has no class during Mondays unlike Yoona who is bombarded with major subjects on Mondays. One Monday afternoon, Yoona decided to go to the mall to freshen up a bit after an exhausting day at school. When she got tired of walking and walking around the mall alone, she decided to call Taecyeon.

“Hello?” Taecyeon, on the other line, answered.

“Hey baby! Are you busy? Can you come and pick me up right now?” Yoona asked excitedly as she heard her boyfriend’s voice over the phone.

“I’m sorry babe, but I can’t. I’m in the mall” Taecyeon answered.

“Really!? Then that’s good! I’m also at the mall right now” Yoona said enthusiastically.

“Y-you, you’re at the mall!?” the surprised Taecyeon asked.

“Yes. Where are you right now? I’ll go over there right now” Yoona said as she stood up from the bench.

“Ah, no babe. I mean, I WAS in the mall earlier. I’m actually having my rest at home now” Taecyeon uttered. ‘Taecyeon-ah, you can go inside now’, an unfamiliar voice of a woman said over Taecyeon’s line.

“Huh? Babe? Who’s that!? Are you really at home?” Yoona asked suspiciously.

“Uh yeah…it’s mom. She just wants me to help her cook. I’ll hang up now, bye babe!” Taecyeon hurriedly said.

Taecyeon hung up. Yoona looked at her phone and uttered to herself, “Is it really his mom? But the voice sounds so different. And he also sounds weird. Is he hiding something from me!? Cut it out Yoong! Maybe he’s just really tired.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Babe!” Yoona said as she hugged Taecyeon who was waiting for her outside her room. “I’m sorry for making you wait. Professor Jeon had overtime again.”

“It’s okay babe. 30 minutes is not that long and besides, my baby is worth the wait” Taecyeon said as he broke the hug and give Yoona a wink. “Shall we go now?”

“You’re just as cheesy as ever babe!” Yoona stuck her tongue out. “Come on!” Yoona said as she held Taecyeon’s arm.

Both of them headed out of the school gates. As they were walking their way home, Yoona thought of going to the amusement park.

“Babe! Why don’t we go to the amusement park today!?” Yoona asked as she released Taecyeon’s hand and jumped in front of him. “It has been a long time since we last went there.”

“Uhm..I’m sorry babe, but can we not go today? I’ve really got something important to do today. Mom wants me to run an errand for her” Taecyeon said.

Taecyeon saw how disappointed Yoona was when he refused to go to the amusement park with her. He then grabbed Yoona by her shoulders and ran his fingers on Yoona’s lovely face, “I’m really sorry babe, maybe next time?” Taecyeon said as he tried to comfort his disappointed girlfriend. “I’ll just walk you home for now, okay?”

Taecyeon smiled as Yoona hesitantly nodded. He put his arms around Yoona’s shoulders and off they went to Yoona’s home. On their way, Yoona’s mind was filled with thoughts about Taecyeon’s recent behavior. ‘What’s wrong with him? He’s really acting strange lately. He always refuses to go out with me unlike before. Even though he doesn’t admit, I can feel that he’s avoiding my calls. And that woman that I heard over the phone before, who is she? Is Taecyeon cheating on me now?’ Yoona shook her head as she tried to forget all of her suspicions about Taecyeon. ‘No Yoona! Stop thinking about those nonsense things! Just believe only on what he is saying, not only on what you suspect. You know very well how Taecyeon loves you. He is a very good man and there’s no way he’s cheating on you!’ Yoona looked up to Taecyeon who, just in time, also looked at her. He gave Yoona his loving smile which she also returned with her own.

--------------------------------------------------------

The chirping of the birds woke Yoona up one Saturday morning. Since she has no classes and has nothing to do, she decided to ask Taecyeon to go out with her once again. After washing her face, she dialed Taecyeon’s number.

“Hello babe?” Taecyeon, over the line, answered.

“Good morning my baby, can we now go to the amusement park today? I really want to have a full rest day now after an exhausting week at school and we haven’t been going out lately babe” Yoona said.

“My apologies again babe, I just want to stay at home today, I’m really not feeling well” Taecyeon sounded weak.

“Omo! Babe! Are you okay? Do you need to go to the hospital!?” Yoona asked worriedly.

“It’s okay babe. You know how I hate hospitals, right?” Taecyeon laughed. “Just one rest day at home and I will be fine.”

“You sure you’re okay babe?” Yoona asked again.

“Yep babe. I promise, we’ll go to the amusement park if I have time, okay?” Taecyeon reassured Yoona.

“Okay. I’ll hang up now, you still need to rest. Bye babe!” Yoona said as she pressed the end button. Then Yoona thought of an idea. “Hmmm, maybe I’ll just visit him. I really want to take care of him especially when he’s in a condition like this.”

Yoona finished her breakfast quickly and headed to the kitchen to cook for Taecyeon. When everything was cooked, she prepared herself and headed to Taecyeon’s house. On her way, she couldn’t stop herself from worrying about Taecyeon’s condition. Though worried, she still can’t hide her excitement from seeing her boyfriend. After a few minutes, she found herself in front of Taecyeon’s house. She then pressed the doorbell and waited for someone to open the door for her. After ringing the doorbell twice, the door finally flew open and there stood Mrs. Ok with a welcoming smile.

“Mom!” Yoona said as she bowed. She also calls Mrs. Ok mom because she treats Yoona as her own. “How are you? I came here to visit Taecyeon. How is he?

“Oh Yoona, you came!” Mrs. Ok said as she cupped Yoona’s face. “My son? He’s okay. He’s not yet home. He’s been out since last night. He said he will be back tonight.”

“H-he’s not home!?” Yoona was totally shocked. ‘He told me that he’s sick. He’s been out all night. Taecyeon. You’re really lying to me!’ Tears were about to fall down from her eyes but she managed not to cry. “Uhm, m-mom, I just came here to give these to Taecyeon, can you just give it to him?” Yoona tried to answer normally as she handed Mrs. Ok the food that she cooked by herself.

“No problem sweetie” Mrs. Ok said. “Why don’t you go inside first my dear?”

“It’s okay Mom, I still have to meet dad at his office.” Yoona lied. “I’ll see you mom” Yoona said as she bowed and left Mrs. Ok as fast as she could.

She couldn’t believe what she just heard. Taecyeon must be really lying to her. Yoona couldn’t take it anymore. Tears fell down from her eyes uncontrollably. She ran as fast as she could, trying to make herself believe that Taecyeon is not cheating. She has no direction at all, she just ran where her feet would take her. Moments after, she found herself in a park. She’s felt weak from all the runnings and cryings so she sat on a bench. She doesn’t know what to believe know. She even doubts Taecyeon’s love for her now.

“Yoona?” a voice called out to her.

Yoona looked up and found her best friends in front of her. “Y-yul? F-fany ah?” Yoona said in between sobs. “What are you doing here?”

“We’re on our way to the mall when we saw you running. At first, we thought it wasn’t you, but we got curious so we followed you here. And—we saw you crying.” Yuri carefully said the last line.

“And why are you crying?” Tiffany asked as she sat beside Yoona and patted her back. “Did something happen between you and Taec?”

Yoona didn’t answer instead, her sobs turned into hard cryings again.

Yuri sat on beside Yoona on the other side and comforted her, “Yoong, come on. Don’t keep it all by yourself, you can trust us. We’re best friends right?”

Yoona doesn’t to talk about it anymore but she knew that she really needs someone by her side that time so she hesitantly told her friends, “I-I think Taecyeon is cheating on me.”

“WHAT!?” the other two asked in total surprise. “T-Taec..is..cheating..on you!?” Tiffany asked in disbelief.

Yoona just nodded as a tear fell down across her cheeks again.

“But Yoong, there’s no way he would do that. I mean, did you see him with another girl right in front of your eyes?” Yuri asked.

“No, but his actions speak for him” Yoona stated firmly.

“Yoong, you cannot just accuse him without any evidence. What on earth did he do to you to make you doubt his love?”

“Yes, Yoong, Yuri is right. Taecyeon is a man who always keeps his promises. You know how much he loves you” Tiffany said, trying to convince Yoona.

“But he lied to me! He keeps on refusing on going out with me. He always avoids my call. And one time, I even heard a woman over the phone but he said it was just his mom when I know exactly how her mom’s voice sounds like. And just now, he told me that he’s sick and wants to rest at home but his mom told me that he’s been out since last night. Aren’t those reasons enough for me to believe that he’s cheating!? He changed. A lot! It feels like I don’t know him anymore!” Yoona burst out. She couldn’t take it anymore. She cried even harder. Her friends knew that it would be too much if they continue on arguing. Even though she’s strong physically, they knew how weak Yoona is inside. The two then gave her a hug.

“Yoona, do you still love him?” Tiffany looked straight at Yoona’s eyes.

Yoona didn’t know what to say. She still loves him, INDEED. She looked at them for a while and then slowly nodded her head.

Yuri hugged her more tightly and told her, “Yoona, if you really love him, then confront him. Try to talk to him and fix everything. Taecyeon is a good guy and I’m pretty sure that he doesn’t know what you’re feeling right now. Misunderstandings are always present in any relationship. What you guys need is to talk. Clear everything up!”

“You, yourself know very well how much he loves and respect you. Who knows? Maybe he’s just planning to surprise you” Tiffany said.

Yoona finally stopped crying and just nodded in defeat. Her friends are right. She has no concrete evidence to prove that Taecyeon is cheating. ‘They’re so right. I’ll talk to him first before jumping into conclusions’ Yoona thought.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Back at Taecyeon’s home…

“I’m home!” Taecyeon shouted as he made his way to the kitchen to greet his mom.

“Oh Taecyeon” said Mrs. Ok as she hugged Taecyeon. “Yoona came here this morning and asked me to give these to you” said Mrs. Ok while showing the food that Yoona cooked.

“S-she went h-here!?” Taecyeon asked in disbelief. ‘Oh shoot! She probably knows now that I’m lying to her.’

Mrs. Ok gave him a very serious look as she asked, “Taec, did you not tell her yet?”

Taecyeon looked down, refusing to meet his mom’s eyes. “I can’t..I don’t want to hurt her” Taecyeon said guiltily.

“Son, it will hurt her more if you prolong this. Tell her the truth as soon as you can” Mrs. Ok said as she patted Taecyeon’s shoulder.

Taecyeon just smiled then headed to his room.  He took his phone out as he sat on his bed. He browsed through his contacts and looked for Yoona’s name. As soon as he found it, he pressed the dial button. Ring. Ring. Ring. “—Hello?”

“Oh, hello babe” Taecyeon said.

“Hey” Yoona said, trying her best to sound normal. “What are you feeling now? Are you still sick?” Yoona pretended that she doesn’t know a thing.

“Ah,yeah, I-I’m okay now. I just needed some rest.” That very line hurt him so much.

“I see. So why did you call me?” Yoona tried to hold back the tears that were about to fall from her eyes again.

“Oh that. I just want to keep my promise. Are you free tomorrow? Amusement parks are great during weekends.”

“Really? We’re going to the amusement park tomorrow?” Yoona excitedly said. She almost forgot everything that happened.

“So, I think, you’re okay with it? I’ll pick you up tomorrow after lunch. Okay?”

“Okay babe. Bye!” Yoona hung up. She cheerfully lay on her bed. ‘Yoona, forget about your doubts. You have trust in him. Just pretend that nothing is going against your relationship’ Yoona thought and then drifted to sleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next day, Taecyeon and Yoona went out on a date at the amusement park as he promised. Yoona tried to pretend that everything is okay and acted just the way she is in front of Taecyeon. Taecyeon did the same. He’s still the same Taecyeon that Yoona loves. It was, indeed, a very special day for the both of them. Yoona didn’t want to talk about Taecyeon’s weird behavior. She just wanted to spend that day with him blissfully. Hours passed by quickly as the night came. It was already 9 in the evening. They decided to ride the ferris wheel before they go home. Taecyeon was hugging Yoona by her back and neither of them was talking. They watched the very beautiful view and lights of Seoul as the ride rotated slowly. Taecyeon then decided to break the silence.

“Yoona” Taecyeon said as he enjoyed the very view of Seoul.

“Hmmm?”

“If I leave you, would you get mad?” Taecyeon now bended his head and looked at Yoona.

‘This is it. He’s trying to tell me the truth.’Yoona doesn’t want to put up that conversation but she can’t do anything because Taecyeon started it. She just decided to face everything ahead of her and accept if Taecyeon doesn’t love her anymore. She looked up to Taecyeon, “why? Are you planning to leave me now? Did you find another girl that suits you more?”

“Of course not! You are the only one for me. I’m just curious.”

“Okay, let’s just leave it this way. If you want to leave me, DON’T EVER TELL ME, because I will never forgive you.”

Taecyeon kissed the top of Yoona’s head and watched the view again. Yoona didn’t talk anymore because she doesn’t want to spoil that very moment. They stayed like that for quite a while and went home after they finished the ride. Taecyeon sent Yoona home and before heading his way home, he gave Yoona a gentle kiss on her lips. Yoona returned that kiss and after a minute they parted. Yoona watched Taecyeon as he leave before entering the house. When his car was completely out of sight, Yoona entered the house. It has been a very special day for the couple.

The next day comes and as usual, every Monday, Yoona has to go to school alone. At lunch, Mrs. Ok called Yoona to go to Seoul hospital right after her class. Yoona was so clueless about what’s happening that she even wanted to go even before the class finishes. But she just waited for her class to finish because she can’t miss that very important subject of hers. Right after her class ended, she went directly to Seoul Hospital and made her way to the room that Mrs. Ok told her to go to. While walking towards the room, she felt her steps getting heavier and heavier as if telling her not to go. Finally she arrived at the room. Her heart started skipping its beat while she tried opening the door. She doesn’t know why she’s feeling so nervous but finally, she mustered all the courage to turn the doorknob. The door slowly opened and there she saw the week-looking Mrs. Ok crying in Mr. Ok’s arms, and beside them laid a body that was covered with a blanket. She watched the body for a minute and suddenly, a tear escaped from her eyes. Even without asking, she already knew what was happening at that very moment just by looking at Taecyeon’s parents. The debile Mrs. Ok looked at Yoona helplessly and slowly shook her head while Mr. Ok tried his best to keep his tears from falling but he failed. Yoona slowly made her way to the bed. She hesitantly held the blanket. Her mind and body were fighting. Her mind tells her not to pull the blanket off but her hands seemed like they have their own minds. With total hesitation, she pulled the blanket off and it revealed the thing the she never wanted to see. Taecyeon’s dead body lay on the bed.

“N-no…this is..not..happening…” Yoona mumbled impotently. “Hey” Yoona said as she shook the body weakly, “Babe, aren’t you going to greet me? Get up now. Your girlfriend is here.”

She received no answer. The body just lay there quietly.

Yoona then shook the body again and now, with much force. “HEY! T-TAECYEON! W-WHY WON’T YOU ANSWER ME!?” Yoona shouted desperately. “GET UP NOW!!! CAN’T YOU HEAR ME!?”

Yoona is now crying helplessly. She continued shaking the body more forcefully as if Taecyeon would wake up from his eternal sleep.

Mrs. Ok got up from her seat and hugged Yoona tightly. “Yoona, my dear, please, stop it. You’re hurting yourself even more! He’s gone!” Mrs. Ok cried as she gives comfort to Yoona. The moment she heard Mrs. Ok say that he’s gone, Yoona passed out.

After 4 hours of sleeping, Yoona found herself in a different hospital room. At first, she totally didn’t know what she was doing there, but the moment she saw Mrs. Ok beside her, everything just sink in to her mind. Then, her tears fell across her cheek uncontrollably. Mrs. Ok then gave her a hug.

“Yoona, everything will be alright” Mrs. Ok said as she patted Yoona’s back.

“What happened? I didn’t even know a thing. He never told me anything” Yoona cried.

Then tears started falling from Mrs. Ok’s eyes again. “He had a colon cancer. We only found out a month ago and it is already in its fourth stage. He refused to undergo chemotherapy because he believed that it is too late and he just wanted to spend his last days with the one he loves, with you Yoona. All these time that he had been refusing to go out with you, he was actually visiting this hospital for check up. He never told you anything because he didn’t want you to get sad. Instead, he just acted strange towards you so that you can forget him before he leave. But he didn’t succeed. He suffered as he saw you get sad so he decided to get back to his old self and spend his last days meaningfully with you.”

Yoona can’t help but cry as she listened to Mrs. Ok’s words. All this time, Taecyeon never betrayed her. He hid the truth so that Yoona won’t get worried about him. The voice of the girl that she heard over Taecyeon’s line before was actually his doctor telling him that it was his turn for the check up. Everything made sense to Yoona but she can’t do anything now. All she has to do is to accept the fact that Taecyeon is gone and even with his last breath, all he think about was Yoona’s happiness.

Mrs. Ok took a paper out from her bag and handed it to Yoona. “Yoona, take this. Taecyeon wanted me to give this letter to you. He wrote that letter the minute before he passed away. And right after he finished writing that, he closed his eyes and fell into his endless sleep.” Yoona got a hold of the letter as Mrs. Ok continues, “he is so unfair. He didn’t even write us a letter. All he think about was you, Yoona” Mrs. Ok laughed grudgingly.

Yoona slowly unfolded the letter. It was written in a complete mess. It’s so obvious that the writer is so weak. Yoona sobbed even more as she read the letter:

 

My only love, Yoona,

I’m sorry if I left without saying goodbye to you. I just don’t want you to get mad…

 

Then she remembered her last words to Taecyeon, ‘Okay, let’s just leave it this way. If you want to leave me, DON’T EVER TELL ME, because I will never forgive you.’

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know some of you guys are dissappointed again because it ended tragically again. I'm actually thinking about my next one shot now, I already have the story in my mind, but I'm afraid I can't post it just right after this because I'll get back back to my other story. I haven't been updating it for so long. So, that's it! Thank you for reading!^^