Chaper 1

Too Delicate To Touch

                The air was a very chilly -5 degrees Celsius in Seoul, South Korea. Ashley Jamison bundled up her son, Seon, into a heavy-duty winter coat accompanied with a knitted beanie and gloves.

                “Eomma, palli palli…I want to play with my friends and open lots of presents!” Seon exclaimed as she zipped up his coat.

                “Jinja? You think you’re going to get presents? I knew I forgot something…” Ashley pretended as Seon stared wide-eyed at her statement.

                “Eeeeoooooommmmmaaaaaaaa…you’re just joking, right?” Seon’s tiny chin was starting to tremble as he tried to keep from crying.

                “Of course, pabo. How could your eomma forget such a thing!” Ashley tilted her head to the side as she stuck out her tongue, making Seon giggle. Heading out the door of their apartment, she grabbed his hand and the two of them made their way to her car. Arriving to the Hanwoori Tae Kwon Do building 45 minutes later, Ashley parked her car. After walking into the main lobby, Seon bounced excitedly over to the elevator button.

                “Are there going to be a lot of friends at my party?” Seon asked with curiosity as the elevator doors swung open.

                “Ye.” Ashley grinned as she ushered Seon into the elevator and allowed him to press the button for the fourteenth floor. Both of them exited to their right once the elevator reached their destination. Twisting the door knob to enter, Ashley and Seon bowed respectfully once they had entered the Tae Kwon Do studio. Leaving their shoes by the door, Seon accompanied his mom into one of the back rooms.

                “Where is everyone? I want to go play.” Seon pouted as he watched her place her purse on a table.

                “That’s a good question. It does seem a bit quiet here. Go to the sparring room and I’ll be there in just a moment.” Ashley shooed her son away. Grabbing her cell phone out of her purse, she caught up to him and activated the video function seconds before he opened the door.

                “Why is the light turned out? Is this the right room?” Seon turned around to question his mom and noticed she was holding her phone waiting to record him. Before he could react, Ashley quickly lunged for the switch and the light causing the whole room to echo “SURPRISE!” in response. Seon squealed in delight as he walked into the room and was bombarded by his friends from the Tae Kwon Do.

                “Saengil chukha hamnida, saengil chukha hamnida, ji-gu e seo wu ju e seo je il sarang habnida…” The children started singing Seon his birthday song as all of them were gathered around the birthday cake. Once they were done, Seon took a deep breath and closed his eyes to make his wish before blowing out the candles. One of the guests the speakers to the stereo system and soon music filled the atmosphere. The children were having a blast dancing along to KPop songs and practicing their moves to what they had been learning in their Tae Kwon Do classes. After the pizza had arrived and was instantly devoured by the children, it was time for Seon to open his presents.

 

                “That was an amazing party. We had lots of fun! Thank you for inviting us. We’ll see you next week in class.” Mrs. Pyeong said as she bowed with her daughter before leaving. The children were given goody bags with little presents to take home as a keepsake.

                “Did you have a good birthday?” Ashley asked her son as he vigorously shook his head. She ruffled his hair and kissed his forehead before stooping down and wrapping him in a tender hug. “I need to clean up a few things in the kitchen. Do you mind playing with your toys until I’m done?”

                “I can play with my toys? Yipee! I wonder which one I should play with first?” Seon skipped over to the pile that was on the table.

                “Don’t make too much of a mess, Seon. I’ll be done in a little while. Call me if you need anything.” Ashley stepped into the adjoining room and froze as she wondered where to start.

                “Noona, do you need help with anything?” Soohyun Shin asked as he gently tapped her on the

shoulder. Turning around, Ashley cupped her hands over as her eyes grew wide.

                “Soohyun! What are you doing here? You were able to make it?” Ashley wrapped him in a hug and looking over her shoulder saw the other members of U-Kiss by the doorway.

                “Eomma, look who showed up!” Seon yelled out in excitement. The U-Kiss members giggled as Eli hoisted him up and gave him a high-five.

                “Thank you guys so much for coming! How did you find time in your schedule to get here?” Ashley asked nervously, not wanting them to get into trouble with their manager.

                “Well, we can’t deny our #1 fan-boy in training’s birthday. We’re so sorry we couldn’t get here sooner.” AJ replied.

                “Don’t apologize! I’m touched that all of you took time out of your schedules to come see us. Have you all eaten?” Ashley asked as they shook their heads. “Well, please, dig in. It means less for me to pack up and take home.” The members’ eyes became wide like saucers and they instantly started grabbing for the paper plates and leftover slices of pizza. One by one, the members made their way over to Ashley and wrapped her in a hug before joining the birthday boy in the next room.

 

                “Had enough to eat?” Ashley asked Dongho as he groaned in response and clutched his stomach.

                “Uuuggghhhh…I haven’t eaten this good in a while. Kamsamnida, noona.” Dongho sighed as he closed his eyes and leaned up against the wall.

                “Would you like some cake?” Ashley held up a plate with a pre-cut slice.

                “No no no no no. Thank you, but no. One more bite and I will burst.” Dongho tenderly pat his stomach to emphasize his point.

                “Well, at least take this home with you.” She offered as he nodded his head in agreement.

                “I’m going to relax in the other room. It was great seeing you both again. I hope it won’t be too long before the next time we meet.” Dongho gently planted a soft kiss on Ashley’s cheek before trudging into the other room.

                “Noona, I can’t believe Seon is five years old! He’s growing up too quickly!” Hoon exclaimed as he dumped his empty paper plate into the trash can.

                “You’re telling me! I feel old now. He had a really good time today, and seeing all of you just made it a thousand times better. I can’t thank you all enough for showing up.” Ashley gingerly held up a plate of a pre-cut slice of cake and Hoon gratefully took it.

                “Well, it’s our honor being here. Seeing the smile on Seon’s face fills our heart with joy. Besides, we can’t resist seeing such a beautiful noona, either.” Hoon added, making Ashley blush.

                “Hoon…flattery will get you everywhere!” She giggled as he wrapped her in another hug. “My goodness, Hoon. Has your body gotten even more chiseled since the last time I saw you?”

                “Perhaps. You know how often I’m in the gym nowadays.” Taking a spoon,  Hoon scooped up a big piece off the plate and wrapped his mouth around it, sighing contently at the rich texture and taste. Giving a big thumbs up for his dessert, Hoon made his way back into the other room to join the others.

                “I hope we’re helping the food disappear.” Kevin said a few moments later. Ashley’s back was facing him. Turning around, the utensil she was using for the cake made contact with the shirt he was wearing. Horrified at what just happened, Ashley immediately dropped what she was doing and ran to wet a hand towel nearby. Putting a drop of liquid soap onto it, she took the measures to get it lathered up so that she could wipe away any trace on Kevin’s shirt.

                “I am so sorry, Kevin. I didn’t mean to ruin it. I hope this comes out.” Ashley immediately went to work on the stain, dabbing here and there.

                “It’s not your fault. I shouldn’t have been so close behind you. I didn’t mean to startle you.” Kevin replied as he stopped her hand and forced her to look up at him. Ashley’s cheeks were turning a deep crimson red from his gaze.

                “T-there…t-th-that should do it.” Ashley stuttered as she placed the towel down on the counter, keeping her eyes glued to the same area.

                “Ashley, look at me…jebal.” Kevin uttered softly as his right hand gently cupped her chin and tilted it upwards. “Joh wah hey yo.”

                “What do you mean? You can’t like me. You must be mistaken…surely you can’t like me.” Ashley started to shake her head, but Kevin’s left hand embraced her right cheek.

                “Wae? Give me one good reason why I can’t.” Kevin searched her eyes for an answer.

                “I’ll give you more than one reason! I’m your noona, Kevin. I’m 28, a single mom, with a son who just turned five years old today. Why would you want to waste all of your potential on me? You have so much to offer a beautiful woman. I’m damaged goods, Kevin. I…” Before Ashley could continue any further, Kevin swooped down and stole a kiss, catching her completely off guard. Her bluish-grey eyes remained wide opened as her brain was trying to process everything that was happening in that very moment.

                “Did you not like the kiss?” Kevin asked nervously after they broke apart. Ashley blinked and didn’t know how to respond. “That was my first kiss, you know. Okay…well technically I had to kiss a girl in the musical I did a few years ago, but I don’t think that should really count.” Ashley her lips and hung her head, doing whatever she could to not meet his gaze. “Ash…you not saying anything is making me extremely worried.”  Kevin gently reached out and held her hands in his. Her heart leapt from her chest at the contact.

                “Kevin…you can’t do this. Don’t you care that I’m older than you? Doesn’t it bother you that I have a son? Think of what others will say! I don’t want to ruin your reputation…”

                “Naneun dangshineul saranghamnida.” Kevin said boldly as he cupped the back of her neck.

                “You what?!?!?” Ashley asked incredulously.

                “Naneun dangshineul saranghamnida.” Kevin’s right thumb softly caressed her left cheek. “I’ve loved you ever since I laid eyes on you, Ashley. I can be myself. I don’t have to worry about putting on a mask around you. You treat all of the U-Kiss members with respect.”

                “Yeah, b-but…” Ashley tried to interrupt, but Kevin delicately put his right index finger up against her lips.

                “Sssshhhhh!” Kevin smiled as he watched her reaction. “I remember the first time I saw you in church. You had your hands up high in complete surrender to God. I was immediately drawn to the passion you had for God in your praise and worship to Him. Mom noticed right away that I liked you. I kept bugging her for information and any tidbits she knew about you. I’m so grateful that I met you.” Kevin beamed as he felt Ashley’s body start to relax.

                “Kevin…I…I’m scared. I don’t know if I’m ready for a relationship right now. I’m too scared to get my heart hurt again. I know you wouldn’t hurt it, but it’s not just me that this relationship would affect…what about Seon? I have to think about his needs and well-being just as much as mine!” Ashley confessed. Kevin knew she was being genuine.

                “I know. I have thought about that as well. I’m not saying we rush into anything. You know as well as I that my schedule is extremely hectic. I would hope I would be able to spend time with you and Seon, but none of us usually know what our day entails until we meet with manager-nim. It can change at any moment.” Kevin started to become sad as he realized the truth of his words.

                “Why me?” Ashley locked eyes with his as she searched his soul for the answer.

                “Why not? Take a chance with me. I promise you won’t regret it. Neither will Seon. You know the guys and I are crazy about the both of you. We’d do everything in our power to make you both happy.”

                “You’ve got a lot of convincing to do…” Ashley whispered. Kevin wrapped his arms tenderly around her waist and let his lips capture hers once again. Her hands went up to his upper chest to stop his advances, but his tongue gently slipped into , making her thought process go blank. She moaned softly against his lips, causing his hold on her to tighten. Her fingers inched their way up his neck and into his hair, causing his body to shiver at her touch.

                “How’s that for a start?” Kevin said inches from when he broke apart from their kiss.

                “Mmmm…I’d say that’s a very good way of convincing me. I still have many layers that will need to be chipped away, though.” Ashley said in all honesty. “So, tell me…what does your mom have to say about all this?”

                “She said she’d hurt me if I let a wonderful woman like you slip away.” Kevin chuckled as he leaned his forehead up against hers.

                “Nu uh. Seriously?” Ashley raised her eyebrow. Kevin nodded his head, making Ashley gasp in disbelief.

                “So, what do you say?” Kevin beamed a smile that was absolutely irresistible.

                “I…I don’t know…” Ashley blushed as she looked away.

                “Tell you what…how about this: you focus on letting God work on you and I focus on letting God work on me and in turn letting him bless this relationship. There’s no need to rush. I want us to grow together in God. No lust…only pure love that can come from God.” A tear fell down Ashley’s cheek at his words. Kevin’s thumb delicately brushed it away as he kissed the spot that it traced.

                “I’ve waited so long for a man of God to come into my life. Daedanhi gamsahamnida.” Ashley reached out to Kevin and wrapped her arms around him tightly as he softly her hair. Seconds later their lips met again in a pure, sweet kiss.

                “Let’s go see what the others are up to, hmm?” Kevin’s eyes twinkled as he gave her one last hug.

                “Ye. I know this will be a birthday that I will never forget for years to come. Thank you for making it so memorable.” Ashley leaned up on her tip toes and gently kissed the tip of his nose.

                “Neither will I, Ashley. I look forward to making many memories with you and Seon.” Kevin gently kissed her cheek and draped his arm around her as they walked towards the other room. Neither one of them knew where their relationship would lead, but they were trusting God to bring them closer than ever before.