1/2

and you've got a smile that could light up this whole town
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

a/n: oh you got me, it's not a oneshot heol 8D written for jeni #teamhyukjae \o/ and because hyukjae-senpai is the sweetest <3

 

and you’ve got a smile that could light up this whole town

 

 

Everybody likes Lee Hyukjae.

Well how can they not, Hyukjae actually gives them every reason to.

He’s handsome, he’s charming, he may not be the brightest student of his college but he passes his engineering subjects fairly enough. He excels in the basketball varsity team. He’s funny and mischievous, he gives people the feeling that they want to be friends with him. He has all the rights to brag but he doesn’t, he stays humble and nice and sweet that everyone just can’t help but to swoon over his bright smile and perfection.

Everybody likes Lee Hyukjae.

But Donghae thinks he likes him a little bit more.

No.

He likes him a whole lot more.

 

//

 

“He is so gorgeous.” Nineteen year old Physics major Lee Donghae sighs yet again while he watches their university’s basketball team jog around the gym. It’s a Wednesday, five in the afternoon and while most of the students are already heading home after a day of school, second year Physics majors stay behind for the seven o’clock evening class every Monday, Wednesday and Friday. Donghae initially hated the schedule since they had to wait for hours and he had better things to do (like stalking Lee Hyukjae’s Facebook profile for example.) And yet when he found out that their room is near the university gym, where the basketball varsity team practices every after class, he has been looking forward for this schedule every week.

“Look at his arms! They look so strong and firm. I wonder how they will feel around me.” The brunette utters and hugs himself, snickering at the image of a certain raven head wrapping his arms around him. He hears a snort and he turns to find his friend and classmate, Soonkyu, looking bored as hell and expressing the obvious fact that she prefers to be anywhere else but right there in the bleachers with Donghae.

“Don’t get your in a twist.” She comments. “One brief meeting doesn’t going to make him fall head over heels in love with you.” She bluntly points out and Donghae glares at her before turning his gaze back at the varsity players.

“At least he knows my name, he repeated it!” Donghae utters, pertaining to that one fortunate afternoon the players were generous enough to greet their supporters after a practice game. Donghae stuttered through the whole “Hello my name is Donghae,” but Hyukjae smiled, spoke his name and greeted him back. To say that he went crazy over that will be an understatement.

“We may not end up together but that doesn’t mean I can’t plan out our lives together. It all makes sense in my head you know.” The brunette mutters with a pout before widening his eyes when he gazes right back at his favourite player in the court.

“He looked at me! Oh my God, did you see that? Hyukjae-senpai looked at me!” He squeals and sinks back to his seat, cupping his face with his hands as he giggles over the millisecond eye contact.

“Senpai…” Soonkyu snorts, knowing Donghae has been into Japanese animes and mangas lately. She watches him gather himself together and tries to focus on Lee Hyukjae, but not even a minute later he is wiggling in happiness again for reasons only he can understand (and it’s not like Soonkyu bothers to know.)

“Why don’t you just call him ‘Oppa’?” Soonkyu remarks yet Donghae just scoffs at her and gets back on his fanboying. She shakes her head and gets back to her book. She isn’t the studious type, but those graphs and numbers are far more attractive than an overly hyped Donghae.

 

//

 

“And that’s all for today, be sure to study the next chapter we will have—,”

Donghae doesn’t hear the rest of what his professor have to say because the moment the clock strikes nine, signalling the end of their class, he’s already dashing out of the room and running to the gym. He checks his wrist watch, 9:03 and he knows the practice ends around that time too. The gym is just a short trip from the class room and he even has the time to fix his hair before pushing the gates open in the hopes of finding the varsity team.  

Though his shoulders drop seeing the place empty, save for two rookies who are currently busy mapping the floor. His gaze fly on the direction of the locker room but he knows he is probably hoping for nothing because if the team is still there, he’ll definitely hear the noise they usually make. He pouts and looks sadly at the camera he manages to whip off his backpack while he’s running earlier. He promised himself he’ll get a picture with Senpai today.

“Oh, they’re gone?” Soonkyu appears beside him. As much as she doesn’t fancy seeing Donghae and his fixation over Lee Hyukjae, he is still her friend and she’ll support whatever makes him happy.

And he also happens to have a car, convenient for late night classes where buses are not so frequent and cabs are too pricey. But no really, Soonkyu loves her friend.

“That’s okay, you still have Friday.” Soonkyu tries to cheer him up but then she remembers something. “Or not because Professor Park said—,”

“But I told myself I’ll get a picture with him today! I even dreamed about it last night. And this morning when I woke up I got the feeling it’s really going to happen!” The brunette blurts out his frustration. “My horoscope even said I’m going to be lucky today.” He adds softly, sulking and whiny because damn it, he even wore his lucky pink shirt today.

“Maybe it’s not meant to be.” Soonkyu mutters. “Joking!” She adds when Donghae glares at her. It’s one thing to kid around a hyped up Donghae but to get on his nerves while he’s upset over Lee Hyukjae, she definitely does not want that. He gets mad of course, but most of the time, he cries.

“I’m pretty sure you’ll get your chance next time. He knows your name right? It’ll be easier.” She cheers but winces when she notices that the brunette is already distressed. Oh .

“He might have forgotten about me already.” Donghae utters and Soonkyu shakes her head.

“Hey that’s not true. He repeated your name right, and he saw your face! And earlier… earlier your eyes met right? Of course he knows you!”

“I’m not even sure if he’s looking at me.”

“Of course he’s looking at you!”

“I’m not even sure if he saw me.”

“He saw you!”

“But he still doesn’t care!”

“Well you can work on that-Jesus Christ Donghae, don’t you dare cry!”

“But-“

 

“Are you guys done?”

 

The tears that are verging to spill off his eyes seem to hold back the moment he hears that voice. His head quickly swerves at the direction of the sound, he cannot be mistaken, he can recognize that voice anywhere, anytime.

 

//

He isn’t as tall as most of the players in his team, but his 176-centimetre height is perfect for his point guard position. He is thin compared to their captain Choi Siwon, but he has muscles on all the right places and walking around half wouldn’t be a shame. The contrast of his pale skin and jet black hair is striking it leaves people swooning over his charm, especially when he’s wearing his red and black, jersey number 4 Mighty Hedgehog uniform.  His define jawline and high cheekbones give him such manly appeal and yet he sends people curling at their feet the moment he smiles. The gummy smile that is brighter than the sunshine, with pretty laugh lines at corner of his eyes proving how genuine it always is. He might have been the personification of hot, but he’s also epitome of an angel with his blinding smile and a big heart for everyone.

Seriously, what is not to like about Lee Hyukjae?

 

//

 

The rookies nod their heads as a respond to their senior’s question. Hyukjae smiles and pats their heads lightly, instructing them to bring the maps back to the storage room and get their things so they can lock the gym already. He watches them walk away for a while before turning his gaze away, and that’s when his eyes land on the two other people inside the gym.

Donghae thinks he is going to faint.

 

//

 

“Oh he’s still here. Donghae, he’s here!” Soonkyu nudges her friend but Donghae isn’t saying anything. She looks at him and is not at all surprise to see her friend gawking and at lost for words in the presence of his one and only Sempai.

“You need anything?” Hyukjae asks before walking towards them. Soonkyu sees her friend startles a bit, the tiny step back he makes doesn’t go unnoticed.

“Don’t tell me you’re going to chicken out, you waited so long for this you even dream about it.” The petite girl says in a low voice since Hyukjae is almost near already.

“Is there anything I can do-oh hey, I know you!” Hyukjae utters and stops when he’s about three steps away. He has his eyes on Donghae, the beautiful smile on his face unwavering.

“We met a few weeks ago! Right? Donghae, isn’t it?” Hyukjae asks and Soonkyu can just imagine that if Donghae can talk right now, he’ll be screaming ‘He remembers me!!’

“Are you okay?” Hyukjae asks again when Donghae just stares at him with wide eyes and a stunned face.

“Did I get it wrong?” Hyukjae questions more and an awkward chuckle follows. “I pretty much remember your name the most since you’re the only guy back then. Isn’t it Donghae?”

Soonkyu moves closer to the brunette, elbowing his side as subtly as she could and yet the boy remains glue on his spot and just staring dumbly back at Hyukjae. Sensing her friend won’t wake up from his trance any time soon and he sure will be whining for the rest of the night later when Hyukjae walks out without him getting his precious picture, she takes the initiative to pinch Donghae’s side that has the boy is screeching in no time.

The brunette looks appalled and he looks like he wants nothing but to slap Soonkyu for that painfu

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter