Meant To Be

Meant To Be

 

When two people are meant to be, it’s like life always paves a way for love to happen.

 

But then again, love is never as easy as 1-2-3s and A-B-Cs.

 

 

Outside a local café, there stood a teenage girl in dark denim jeans and leather jacket with matching boots, her black-streaked blonde hair shining lustrously under the street lights. One hand was holding a phone to her ear, while the other was in her pocket, furiously trying to shrug off the evening draught.

A few feet away were two other girls in similar outfits, arms crossed and one leg bent over the other as they leaned against the wall.

It wasn’t hard to tell that they were among the several juvenile troublemakers in town.

“I said no!” the said blonde girl shouted irately to the person on the other line. “I am NOT meeting your parents, and that’s final!”

The other two only sniggered at the distressed girl. It wasn’t the first time the blonde fought with her clingy cheerleader girlfriend.

It was a wonder why the blonde have stayed with the cheerleader for quite a while. Then again, it’s probably the physical attraction that kept the blonde from dumping the girl. When you’re a teenager in high school and you’re dating the hottest girl in the campus, you’re the ‘man’.

Jessica Jung is the ‘man’.

“Of course, I like you! But it’s still too early for me to meet your parents! We’re only 17 years old, for crying out loud! We haven’t even graduated high school!!”

The blonde paused to hear the reply, and after a few seconds, she scowled in annoyance. “You know what? Fine! There are other fishes in the sea. Good riddance.”

And with that, she hung up, and out of frustration, she kicked a random pebble on the ground.

“Yah!” a passerby snarled when the pebble hit the back of his head.

“Got any problem, dude?!” Jessica hissed as she sent him an icy glare – a look that said, ‘Yeah, if looks could kill, you’re a goner’.

The guy’s eyes widened in fright, his knees buckling as he instantly shook his head. “N-No… uh, s-sorry,” he stammered, almost tripping as he took a step back and ran away.

“Tsk, what a wimp,” one of the two girls smirked.

“So, it looks like you and Miss Cheer Captain broke up,” the other said.

Jessica just rolled her eyes, a smug smile on her lips. “Oh, she’ll be running back to me in a few hours. You’ll see.”

The two girls laughed at her cockiness.

“Let’s go grab some grub,” she said as she led the way to the café’s entrance door.

As soon as she opened the door, a brunette hastily rushed pass, bumping into her shoulder.

“Yah! Watch it!” Jessica hollered.

“Sorry,” the girl murmured, head hanging low as she continued to storm away.

“Tsk,” Jessica shrugged it off, not sparing the girl another glance. “Clumsy girl…”

 

 

 

 

“See you tomorrow, guys…” Jessica bid goodbye to her friends and turned around to head the other way.

With hands on her pocket and whistling a random tune, the blonde walked leisurely down the street. She never really liked tiring herself out, but she loved strolling under the moonlight, basking in the silence of the night and the flickering streetlights.

As she passed an alley, stifled sobs reached her ears and instantly halted her steps.

Her breath hitched. Not being a coward – really, not at all – but being the curious girl she believed she was, Jessica slowly turned towards the source of the sobs.

She let out a sigh of relief as she saw a brunette in the shadows. The said girl was trembling as she hugged her knees.

Jessica wasn’t one to barge into situations, but something inside her told her to do so… Maybe it was the girl’s silent cries, sounding desperate for a bit of attention… Or maybe it was the girl’s quivering form, almost begging for some warmth in this cold night…

Or maybe Jessica just got nothing to do now that her ex-girlfriend wasn’t calling her every few minutes.

Whatever the real reason, Jessica heeded to this inner desire.

“Uh, miss…?” she called out.

The brunette looked up and Jessica instantly recalled that side profile. It was the clumsy girl.

“What do you want?” her muffled voice was husky… melodic even… but as cold as the evening breeze.

 

 Hella y, the naughty voice in Jessica’s head screamed.

 

“Leave me alone!” the girl yelled.

Jessica only tilted her head. “Really?”

The girl’s eyebrows furrowed in confusion at the response she got. “What are you–? YAAAH!”

The girl was yanked up from her sulking position as Jessica grabbed her by the hand.

“YAH!!!!” she tried to protest, but alas, the blonde was a lot stronger.

Jessica never said a word and dragged the girl into the café. After earning a few looks from bystanders and finding an empty table at the middle of the café, she pushed the girl onto one seat and sat on the opposite side.

“What are you doing?!” the brunette hissed.

 

Jessica smirked. “Do you really think anyone would buy that ‘leave me alone’ crap you say? I definitely don’t,” she paused, her expression softening at the sight of the fragile girl.

“Look, just so you know. I’ve put up that cold barrier, too… and it’s because I wanted someone to break them. You must be feeling the same, just waiting for someone to come by and rescue you.”

Tears began pooling at the brunette’s eyelids. How could this blonde know just how she felt?

“Besides, it won’t do you any good if you sulk there,” Jessica continued. “A maniac might come by and molest you. Would you want that?”

The other girl immediately shook her head, sniffing up the remnants of her tears.

Jessica gave her a soft smile and offered a menu. “Order up. It’s on me.”

 

 

A few minutes passed by awkwardly when the waiter finally delivered the order.

Jessica watched as the girl shyly ate her cheesecake and sipped on her coffee. She had to admit, the girl was beautiful – with her snow-white skin, mesmerizing hazel eyes with long lashes, cute nose, and plump pink lips. Top those features with the girl’s demure and fragile front – innocent like a child and almost pure as an angel. The girl was the complete package.

Definitely my type, Jessica thought with an inward grin.

The blonde shook her head to clear her thoughts.

“Uh… Are you okay…?”

There goes the harmonic voice again

Jessica looked up and their eyes instantly connected. Those eyes

“Er… hello? Are you zoning out…? Are you okay??”

Jessica had to gulp down the invisible lump in before she could regain her composure. “Ah, yeah! Sorry, I just remembered something,” she chuckled. “I’m fine. I should be the one asking how you are.”

The girl nodded once, a wistful smile on her lips. “I just found out that my boyfriend cheated on me with my so-called best friend.”

“Oh,” was Jessica’s initial response. What kind of guy would be crazy enough to cheat on this beautiful girl?

The girl let out a small chuckle. “It , right?”

“He’s probably a jerk, and you deserve better,” Jessica smiled reassuringly.

“Yeah… He’s not worth it. I’m feeling a lot better now… Thank you.”

Jessica held out a hand. “No big. I’m Jessica Jung.”

The girl took her hand and smiled, eyes disappearing into perfect crescent shapes. “Tiffany Hwang.”

 

 

 

“Sorry if I bothered you tonight,” Tiffany said as they walked out the café together, both of them feeling like they’ve found a long lost best friend in each other’s company.

Jessica shook her head and grinned cheekily. “Nah. You’re not a bother. Why would a beautiful girl like you be a nuisance to anyone?”

Tiffany giggled. “Ooh… a sweet talker, you are. What would your lover say if they heard you?”

“Nothing,” the blonde responded with another charming grin. “Because I’ve got no gi–”

 

SICA!!

 

The two newfound friends both turned to see another blonde girl running towards them.

“Hey Jessi, do you know he–?”

Tiffany wasn’t able to finish her question as she witnessed the newcomer kiss Jessica on the lips and then crushing her in a tight hug.

The brunette wasn’t sure how to react at that. Eyeing the girl from head to toe – cherry blonde hair, curvaceous body, flawless skin, and a supermodel stance – Tiffany was slightly intimidated for some reason she couldn’t pinpoint. She felt worse than a third wheel tagging along.

She watched, eyes unconsciously twitching, as the girl continued peppering Jessica’s face with kisses.

“I’m sorry, Baby!” the girl said, arms around Jessica’s neck. “I promise I won’t force you to meet my parents, never again! Please forgive me!”

Jessica smiled awkwardly as she casted a glance back at Tiffany. She gently untangled herself from the other girl’s embrace and gestured towards the brunette. “Ara, meet my new friend, Tiffany…

…and Tiff, this is Arabella, my girlfriend.”

 

 

There goes ‘love at first sight’… heading down the drain of impossibilities and impasses…

 

~+~

 

Jessica and Tiffany never met again after that night, except for the couple of times they bumped at each at the mall – Tiffany with a few of her friends and Jessica with her clingy girlfriend.

2 years passed by like a breeze.

Now, Tiffany stood outside the café where they first knew each other. It amazed her how nothing seemed to have changed. The green interior walls, the transparent windows showcasing the inside of the café, the matching 70’s tables and chairs, the retro lights – it was all the same.

And it brought back memories of that fateful night.

Tiffany smiled at the memory of a rebellious-looking blonde dragging her all the way from the alley and into this café. In all honesty, she thought of Jessica like a hero… her knight in shining armor. The girl was charming and had this mischievous aura about her. Tiffany may not admit it, but she had always been unconsciously attracted to those types.

 

It’s just too bad she was already someone’s hero, Tiffany sighed.

 

“Thinking of me, are you?”

 

Shivers ran down Tiffany’s spine as she felt someone breathing down her neck, puffs of air brushing past her ear as the words were softly spoken.

A smile formed on her lips, and she turned around to greet the face she was indeed thinking about a few seconds ago.

There stood Jessica, with the leather jacket and boots, and that charming grin plastered on her face.

“Missed me?”

Tiffany giggled as she pulled the blonde to a tight hug. “Yes, I did.”

 

 

 

“I’m taking up architecture,” Jessica spoke excitedly as she and Tiffany strolled down the rocky pathway at the local park. “I’m thinking of majoring in landscape architecture.”

“Really… Someday, I’ll ask you to make a house blueprint for me and I’d like you to build me the best garden setting you can think of… with pink flowers, a huge fountain, a mini lake with a bridge over it, and some swings,” Tiffany replied.

“A garden, huh? Easy as pie. Deal sealed, Hwang. I better not see you paying another architect.”

Tiffany mocked pouting, playfully swatting at Jessica’s arm. “Yah! I knew it. You’re just in it for my money!”

“Darn it, you caught me!” Jessica played along, before both of them burst into laughter.

The laughter died down after a few seconds, ending with their eyes locked into each other.

Tiffany felt the familiar flutter in her stomach. Jessica’s gaze was so intense and Tiffany felt herself blushing as she looked away. She was glad the streetlights were dim and she just hoped the other girl didn’t notice.

If Jessica noticed, she didn’t show it. Instead, she subtly asked the question she’s been itching to ask ever since she saw her earlier. “Are you dating anyone, Tiff?”

The brunette was a little surprised at the question, but she smiled nonetheless before shaking her head.

 

Silence.

 

“So… how’s Arabella?”

Jessica shrugged. “I don’t know. I haven’t heard from her since…”

“Since what?”

“Since she slapped me the day after graduation day…”

“She what?!”

Jessica chuckled at the adorable expression on Tiffany’s face. “I dumped her the day after graduation, so she slapped me, so hard my jaw’s gone numb for a few minutes.”

Tiffany frowned. “That’s mean. You deserve it, you meanie.”

“Yah. I’d like to think I’m being quite nice. I wanted to break up with her long before graduation, just so you know… but I couldn’t do it. She was quite popular. I just didn’t want her to lose face. So I did it afterwards,” Jessica held on to her jaw, as if reliving the moment. “In the end, I’m the one who almost lost my face… literally.”

“Aww… aren’t you the nicest little thing!”

The blonde narrowed her gaze at the brunette. “Are you mocking me?”

“Now, why would I do that?” Tiffany answered, batting her eyelashes innocently before a mischievous smirk formed on her lips just seconds after. “MEANIE JESSI!”

“YAH!”

And with that, a game of tag began, with the blonde chasing breathlessly and the brunette giggling as she ran.

 

 

 

“I had fun tonight, Jessi. Thanks for walking me home,” Tiffany smiled brightly, her eyes shining under the porch lights.

Jessica grinned back, and for the nth time that day, their eyes locked in a stare.

Tiffany blushed yet again, and this time, there was no hiding it.

The blonde watched in amusement as Tiffany’s face flushed. And that was enough to give her the boost she needed.

“Hey, Tiff…”

“What?”

“Are you free tomorrow?”

It took all of Jessica’s confidence to say those words, and she was expecting a good response… but looking at Tiffany’s face – furrowed eyebrows, distant stare, and frowning lips – Jessica felt her heart sinking.

Tiffany held her hand, her grip tight with longing. “I’m leaving tomorrow, Jessi… I’m going to med school… in America…”

Jessica’s heart completely sunk, but she maintained her composure and she managed to ask, “For how long…?”

“4 to 6 years, it depends…”

“Will I see you again?”

“Only time will tell…”

Jessica nodded once. “I’ll wait for you,” she said, her words firm and her eyes conveying sincerity. “I don’t know how, but we’ll meet again. I promise you that.”

Tiffany felt her heart swell with warmth, and she couldn’t help it anymore. With a quick move, she pulled Jessica by the neck, and two lips finally met into one passionate kiss.

Mixed emotions poured as lips clashed and tongues battled for dominance.

Pulling away from the kiss, Tiffany felt wonderful and sad at the same time. Oh, how bittersweet the timing is.

“Goodbye, Jessi…”

 

 

There goes ‘the second chance’… like water dripping through my fingers…

 

~+~

 

Jessica has matured as the years passed. Gone was the girl with the playgirl attitude. The lazy girl had transformed into a workaholic architect, who was respected by her superiors and subordinates. The rebel look was even replaced with an elegant and chic style.

At age 25, Jessica achieved things other people could only dream about in their sleep.

But still, there was this longing she always felt… A hole in her heart that no one can seem to fill…

 

 

“Everything’s swell, Boss… We’re way ahead of the deadline they gave us. I reckon we’d be finishing this before the month ends.”

Architect Jung nodded as she made last notes on the blueprint. “That’s good to hear. But I don’t want anyone to slack off just because we’re ahead, am I clear on that?”

The foreman nodded. “Surely, Boss.”

Without another word, Jessica began making her daily rounds at the construction site, the foreman on her heels and taking notes as she pointed out slight changes to be done.

 

 

“YAH! The pulley can’t hold that much!!” the foreman shouted out from behind as he noticed a worker hoisting up more than a hundred tiles.

It was too late, though.

“CLEAR THE AREA! MOVE!” Jessica pushed a couple of workers away.

Unfortunately for her…

 

 

 

“A wheelchair, please!!”

“You’re exaggerating, Shin,” Jessica said as she pressed a cloth to her bleeding arm. “I can walk.”

The foreman chuckled awkwardly. “Right…”

“You may go back and supervise the construction. I’ll be fine on my own.”

“Are you sure, Boss?”

“Of course.”

 

 

“Just wait here, Miss Jung,” a friendly nurse told her after a few assessments have been done. “I think you’ll need stitches for that. I’ll inform one of our residents.”

Jessica just nodded and lied down on the bed, closing her eyes and breathing deeply in attempt to relieve the pain.

 A few minutes passed and she hears rattling at the side of her bed. She opened her eyes and watched as the same nurse prepared a tray. The nurse, wearing gloves that Jessica assumed were sterile, neatly placed on the tray a couple of forceps, a syringe, about half a dozen of gauze packs, and a small brown pack labeled ‘Chromic 2-0’.

The nurse noticed Jessica looking and smiled in an assuring manner. “One of our interns will do a small stitch for your wound… but no worries; we’ll be using Lidocaine, a local anesthesia, so you won’t feel anything during the stitching. Oh, and I’ll be injecting a couple of vaccines to prevent tetanus and infections.”

“Ok…” Jessica closed her eyes once more.

 

 

A few more minutes passed when the door opened once more.

Jessica didn’t bother opening her eyes… But then a slight gasp had her thinking otherwise.

She opened her eyes and her breath hitched.

 

Thump. Thump.

 

There goes her heart resounding loud in her own ears. She was sure if the nurse rechecked her vital signs, she’d find her pulse rate unusually high. But that didn’t really matter.

Jessica wanted to cry for joy as her head still processed the sight of the girl. Tiffany. Tiffany was really in front of her. And the years did well for her. Even under her white doctor’s coat, one could see that she filled out at all the right places, and her newly dyed black hair complimented her milky skin and pink lips. In short, Tiffany was more beautiful than she last saw her…

…and Jessica felt like she fell for her all over again.

She thanked God for letting them meet again. It was fate, she believed it so.

 

“Jessi…?”

 

Jessica broke into a smile as she finally heard that husky voice she often heard in her dreams. “I told you we’d meet again, right?”

Tiffany almost cried on the spot. “Yeah… you did,” her voice trembled, but Jessica didn’t mind.

And just like always, that familiar charming grin made way on her face as Tiffany wrapped her up in her warm embrace. Jessica swore the pain subsided the moment she did.

 

 

 

“I can’t believe you waited until my lunch break,” Tiffany started as they both sat down at the hospital’s cafeteria.

Jessica smiled as she stared back at her. “I’ve waited for you for years… what’s another 2 hours, right?”

A smile played on Tiffany’s lips, though she tried not to. “Still the sweet talker, I see…”

“Only to you…” Jessica replied, her stare unwavering.

Tiffany felt her face flush at the words. She shyly avoided Jessica’s stare, and as she did so, she caught a glimpse of other people in the cafeteria looking their way – no, ogling at Jessica, to be specific. She smirked inwardly, feeling proud that she was the one sitting with Jessica, not them.

She cleared , wanting to clear the thick air that’s beginning to settle. “So… since when did you ditch the blond hair?”

Jessica shrugged. “I can’t remember. I just stopped dying it to blond and let my original roots to grow back. Why? Does it look bad on me?”

Look bad? On her? She looks gorgeous! I bet she’d look gorgeous even in pink hair!

“Of course not,” Tiffany managed to say casually despite her inner conversation with herself. “You look different, though.”

“How so?” Jessica tilted her head.

The intern giggled at the cute expression Jessica had. She’d bet the girl didn’t even know she’s doing it. “Well, for starters, the brown hair softened your features; it made you look less aggressive, less cold, and certainly less rebellious. And you look more mature now, more professional. I never thought I’d see the day when you’ll get rid of the leather jacket and boots.”

Jessica chuckled. “Not exactly. I still have them stashed in my closet… just in case I wanna beat up someone.”

“Tsk. And I thought you completely ditched the rebel in you.”

“Can’t get rid of it…. It’s innate, Tiff,” the charming grin formed on Jessica’s lips yet again.

And yet again, it never failed to make the butterflies in Tiffany’s stomach to flutter crazily. She felt her cheeks burn and she looked away in response.

The young architect felt glad, knowing that she still had that effect on Tiffany. She has always loved the pink hue on her cheeks, even more when she knows she’s the cause of it.

 

 

“Dr. Tiffany!”

The two turned their heads and Jessica saw the same nurse back at the emergency room.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” she said with a slight bow to Tiffany. “I know you’re on lunch break, but another patient’s just arrived, doc. Our ER residents are on a meeting outside, quite far from here. Dr. Kim said to inform you.”

Tiffany nodded. “Thank you, Sunny. I’ll be there in fifteen minutes. Please do the initial assessments first.”

The nurse nodded back with a smile and immediately left.

“Are you sure you can go on without eating lunch?”

“Jessi…”

“I know, I know… you have to go,” Jessica sighed. “I can wait a few more hou–”

“Jessi,” Tiffany held her hand, and Jessica saw it – the same expression she had years ago… 6 long years ago.

 

What is it this time?

 

Jessica felt her tongue caught in . She couldn’t speak, she couldn’t move. Instead, she looked straight at Tiffany’s watery eyes and she waited for the bomb to blow.

And suddenly, she felt it… on Tiffany’s hand – specifically her ring finger.

Jessica fought the urge to look, but she did… and what she saw broke her heart to pieces. It was a diamond ring, exquisitely glimmering even under the gloomy cafeteria lights – teasing Jessica with its bold size.

And as if that wasn’t enough, Tiffany just had to confirm it.

“I’m married, Jessi… to a doctor I met back in America. Her name is Taeyeon. I was very lonely when I left you, Jess. And she made me happy; she helped me through med school. After I finished med school, I decided to finish my specialization here in Seoul because I hoped I’d see you like you promised. So I did. When I arrived here 2 years ago, every single day, I wished to see you again… but I didn’t,” Tiffany’s voice quivered, the pain of yesteryears still fresh in her memories.

“Taeyeon followed me here last year,” she continued. “I learned to love her, Jessica. She asked me to marry her, and I said yes.”

With every word, a fire – an aching pain – slowly ignited in Jessica’s chest. It surged through her veins, through her very being. But Jessica wasn’t about to give up, she decided.

“Jessi…” Tiffany tried to let go of Jessica’s hand.

But the girl only held on tight. “I’ll wait for you,” she said with the same firmness and confidence like she had years ago.

It pained Tiffany to hear those words again. It reminded her of what she herself failed to do. Regret gnawed at her, but it was guilt which aggravated her the most. She didn’t want Jessica to keep on hanging, not like she did before.

“Jessica. Didn’t you hear what I said? I’m married…” she said again, hoping to drive her away. But it only did otherwise.

Jessica smiled longingly. “I heard it… but I promised you that I’ll wait. So until my last breath, I will wait for you.”

Tiffany swallowed the lump in and squeezed back at the other girl’s hand, her eyes willing her to listen. “Just forget me, Jess.”

“How can I forget someone so unforgettable?”

“Find another girl who’s better than me.”

Jessica stood, unfaltering. “How do I do that when you’re already the best there is?”

“Damn it, Jessi!” Tears gathered at Tiffany’s eyelids, threatening to fall with each passing second. “Just live your life and be happy without me!”

And still, Jessica was like mountain against a raging storm. “How…? Tell me how to be happy when I can’t have you beside me… you, the girl that I love more than anything in this world.”

“Jessi… don’t…”

“No, listen.” Jessica held both her hands. “I do love you, Tiffany. I think I’ve loved you from the moment I saw you at that alley. You may not believe me… but it’s the truth. Once upon a time, my heart had been nothing but mine, and then you came around… As cliché as it sounds, you stole it with one smile. Tiffany Hwang, you have my heart. Now and forever.”

A tear finally fell from Tiffany’s eye. How could she say all this like everything’s okay? How could she just come back in my life when I’m finally moving on? How dare she make me feel so many emotions… when everything is way too late? If only I had seen you again sooner… Oh, if only, then just maybe…

Jessica wiped the lone tear with the pad of her thumb. “I’m not trying to change your mind. I won’t even ask to stay in touch with you. You won’t ever see me, if that’s what you want. I just wanted you to know what my heart’s wanted to say for so long.”

Tiffany was still speechless with every word being thrown. It was all happening so fast.

“Till the day we meet again, Tiff… smile and be happy for me. At least, promise me that. And if ever you need me, find me where it all started.” Jessica smiled, forcing the grin she knew the girl loved. And with a final squeeze on her hand, she let go.

“Goodbye, Tiff…”

Tiffany watched with a pained heart as Jessica walked away.

 

I love you, too…

 

 

There goes ‘believing in fate’… crushed by the one who made me believe…

 

~+~

 

Time passes quickly when you’re having the time of your life,’ that’s what people say. Time is always too short when you’re with the one you want to be with. Time never seems to be enough.

But time passed torturously slow for Tiffany. A lot has changed in the world, but it felt like she was moving in slow motion. Every hour felt like a year and every day was an eternity. Hoping for time to fast forward is painful… especially to a heart that’s waiting.

Tiffany couldn’t count the times she ended up at the café. She doesn’t know why her heart leads her there… when she knows she’ll only end up disappointed and more hopeless than ever.

She still recalled feeling disheartened the moment she saw the big sign outside the café.

 

“The café wasn’t making as much profit as before. The café owner and his wife loaned out a huge amount of money from the bank, and they put the café as collateral. As you may have already figured out by now, they couldn’t pay up. The bank is now selling the lot,” a street vendor had told her that one night.

 

The building was still closed down. Months from now, Tiffany knew it would be demolished and another building would take its place, and still, she couldn’t help it. The place was her only connection to Jessica, and being near it was the only thing she could do to appease her longing heart.

 

I need you, Jessi… How do I find you now?

 

 

 

 

“Please transfer the patient in bed no. 3 to the cardiac unit, endorse to hook a holter, and monitor him for 24 hours. Oh, and don’t forget to inform the relatives what they need to know,” Tiffany said as she wrote frenziedly in another patient’s chart.

“Got it, doc.”

“And you can discharge that kid after her breathing’s stable. If the respiratory rate’s back to normal, no need to do the fourth session of Budesonide.”

“Sure thing, doc.”

Tiffany nodded slowly, placing back down about half a dozen charts back to the station. “Is that all? Did I forget any patients?”

The nurse shook his head. “No. We’re all clear. Why don’t you take the day off now? You look burnt out.”

“Yeah, doc,” another nurse piped up. “Take a rest. I’m sure our other interns can take over while we’re waiting for the residents on duty to arrive.”

“But –”

 

Just go, Hwang.

 

Tiffany turned around and saw the medical director. She instantly bowed in greeting. “Dr. Lee.”

The head doctor smiled in acknowledgement. “It’s 9am. You’ve been here since yesterday afternoon, Dr. Hwang. You’re working too much. Go and take the rest of the week off. And that’s an order.”

 

 

 

3 days off duty.

3 days of bumming around and doing nothing.

Tiffany hated it when she’s not in the hospital working her off… because these were the times when she felt the emptiness the most. Her spacious apartment felt suffocating and cold, and the silence was deafening.

She couldn’t just visit her family because they were in America. She couldn’t call up friends to hang out with because they also got work. And going to the mall was a no-no because it was too depressing for her to go alone.

And so, Tiffany found herself strolling down the neighborhood, like she usually does.

Come to think of it, it’s been half a year since she did so. She’s been purposely preoccupying herself with work, trying desperately to distract herself, in hopes of making time pass by even just a little faster.

 

Because every day that passes is a day closer to seeing you again.

 

 

“Hey miss, aren’t you that girl who always passed by the old café before?”

Tiffany stopped in her steps and nodded. She recognized the man. He was the street vendor who told her why the café closed down. “Yes, I am, sir. Why?”

The ahjussi frowned a little. “I just thought you should know. The building’s been demolished months ago. In place, someone bu–”

Tiffany didn’t bother to stay and listen. When she heard the word ‘demolish’, her brain had shut out all other senses and her first impulse was to run.

So, she did. She ran without restraint, not caring of whom she bumped into and who was looking as she run. All she knew was that she had to see the place. Her heart ached to see even the remnants of it.

 

 

With her chest heaving and her palms atop her knees in attempt to catch her breath, Tiffany looked up and took in the sight before her.

In front of her was a gate with an intricate but sophisticated design. And beyond the gate was a park.

Tiffany swallowed and took a deep breath.

Silence settled as Tiffany stood unmoving in front of the gate. It was a different silence, though. It was comforting, somehow, and it provided the same security and hope, if not more. Maybe because it was still the same place, the exact spot where she and Jessica met.

Without even really realizing it, Tiffany had entered through the gates. Her feet dragged her forward, as if they had a life of their own.

With every step, the warmth in her heart continued to spread throughout her body.

Tiffany wanted to cry at the sight of it all – a variety of flowers, a huge fountain with an abstract sculpture at the middle, some swings by the trees at the far end, a mini lake…

 

…and the bridge!

 

Mixed emotions overwhelmed her as she ran to the brick bridge over the artificially made lake. She didn’t really know why she did so, but that didn’t matter to her anymore. She didn’t care if anyone saw. She didn’t even care if she was entering a private property.

Everything fell into oblivion the moment she entered the place.

Tiffany halted in her sprint as she reached the start of the bridge. Slowly, her feet moved forward one after another, her fingertips gently grazing the balustrades.

Her steps slowed and she halted again as she reached the middle of the bridge, her thoughts promptly pulling her from reality and into her world of memories.

The bridge was the heart of the park, the very main attraction…

…and ironically, Tiffany had no doubt that it was the exact spot where she and Jessica had sat.

This was where it all started.

 

It’s been 3 years… I’m here, Jessi… But where are you?

 

A tear unconsciously slid down her cheek.

 

 

“Finally…”

 

Thump. Thump.

 

It was like a wakeup call, that voice. It’s like her heart woke up from a deep slumber, and now Tiffany felt its solid beating inside her chest. She heard it, too, echoing in her ears like a distant drum.

A few seconds passed before Tiffany finally faced the owner of the voice.

And indeed, Jessica stood there, and as always, that charming grin welcomed Tiffany’s sight even through her teary-eyed vision.

There were a few seconds of silence – eyes gazing at each other and hearts beating faster.

Tiffany bit her lip, struggling to stifle the loud sobs wanting to escape. She couldn’t believe this. Was this real? Or was this just a figment of her imagination?

“I thought you already forgot about me…”

And that was the final straw.

Sobs escaping and tears flowing down from her eyes, Tiffany ran the few steps towards Jessica and launched herself at her. “Idiot,” she whimpered as her arms tightened around the other girl’s neck. “How can I forget someone so unforgettable?”

 

 

 

“I’m divorced, Jessi.” Tiffany said straightforwardly, letting it all out in the open.

“I know. That git cheated on you with that purple-haired ER nurse, right?”

“How did you…”

“I promised you that you won’t ever have to see me… but I never said I wouldn’t see you,” Jessica smirked, a haughty wink thrown towards Tiffany.

Tiffany playfully smacked at Jessica’s arm, before pulling her for another embrace. She sighed in contentment, her heart finding peace and comfort in her arms. “A rebel, a sweet talker, a stalker… what else is there to you, Jessica Jung?” she said softly.

The older girl smiled as she wrapped her arms around the Tiffany’s petite waist and placed her chin on the girl’s smooth shoulder. “You forgot the best part of me.”

“And what would that be?”

Jessica grinned inwardly and leaned close, her warm breath tickling the outer shell of the girl’s ear. “I’m a lover… your lover.”

Tiffany’s face instantly flushed, giggles bursting forth loudly. “Oh my gosh, Jessi. That line has got to be the cheesiest line I’ve ever heard.”

“Laugh all you want,” Jessica chuckled along, her lips pressing ever so teasingly against Tiffany’s neck. “I know you like it, though.”

“Believe what you want, Romeo.” Tiffany suppressed a smile. Yes, Tiffany liked it – she loved every word Jessica says and everything she does – but of course, she’d never admit that to Jessica.

…But she’s ready to confess one thing.

“Jessi…?”

“Hmm?”

“I love you, too… I’ve always had…”

 

This is how it’s supposed to be, Jessica thought with a smile.

 

 

 

It was nearly night time when the newfound couple had decided to leave the park – the lot which Jessica apparently bought the moment she knew it was for sale.

With hands intertwined, the two crossed the street, towards a new café just across the park. They sat down at one table outside.

“I drew a blueprint for a week, got everything needed, and worked with my crew every day. Of course, I paid them handsomely to make them work diligently, and so we got it done 3 months ago,” Jessica told her tale with a grin. “I thanked God you didn’t show up during that period.”

“Yeah… I kinda busied myself with work at that time. I still do, actually. The medical director just kicked me out of the hospital a couple of days ago,” Tiffany giggled. Those times were actually quite difficult for Tiffany, but it all seemed funny now that Jessica was here. She found her. They found each other.

Jessica nodded slowly. “So that’s why, huh. I waited for you every day since the park finished, you know.”

Tiffany frowned at the evident sadness reflected in Jessica’s eyes. She had felt the pain of waiting, too, and she knew Jessica had waited for her much longer than she has. She could only imagine how Jessica felt all these years.

“Jessi,” she squeezed her hand in reassurance. “The wait is over. I’m here to stay.”

Jessica brought their joined hands to her lips, her eyes lost in Tiffany’s brown orbs. It wasn’t that hard to be convinced with those eyes. It was more than enough. “I love you so much, Tiff.”

“I love you, too, you silly girl.”

The warm atmosphere returned as Tiffany reassured Jessica again with a quick peck.

 

 

“So… did you like the park?”

“I love it!” Tiffany grinned brightly, her trademark eye smile finally showing genuinely for the first time in years. “I’m impressed you remembered what I told you. You got everything… except for one.”

Jessica’s eyebrows furrowed in question. “What’s that?”

Tiffany pouted. “There are no pink flowers!! I thought you knew I love pink! How could you forget about that?”

“What – no! I got a bunch of pink ones planted all over the park!” the architect responded, her left eye twitching at the sight of Tiffany’s cute pout. But she wasn’t about to let up. She was the one who constructed the park, for crying out loud. She knew what was there and what wasn’t. “They’re there, okay? I didn’t forget about that!”

“Then how come I didn’t see one?” Tiffany continued pouting, like a kid whose lollipop was stolen.

At last, Jessica’s expression softened at seeing those adorable, hypnotizing eyes. At that moment, Jessica realized something.

 

I’m freakin’ whipped, oh my god. But what the heck.

 

With a sigh, Jessica caved in to the hypnosis of Miss Adorable Brown Eyes and she stood up from her seat.

“Yah!! Where are you going?”

Tiffany watched as Jessica ran across the street towards the park. She only smiled as she guessed what her girlfriend was up to.

A few minutes passed, and Tiffany finally saw the brunette jogging out the gates of the park.

 

“Fany-ah!”

 

A charming grin was on Jessica’s face, and in her hand, there it was – a pink rose at its beauty’s peak.

Jessica felt her heart swell as Tiffany beamed back at her. She’s never felt so happy in her life.

But then in a split second, she saw Tiffany’s eyes widened in shock and dread. The girl stood up, running towards her.

 

“Wha–”

 

“JESSI, WATCH OUT!!”

 

It all happened so fast, but everything was in slow motion to Jessica as she looked to her right.

The last thing she saw were bright headlights coming at her.

The last thing she felt was a heavy force to the right side of her body, a crushing pain shooting through before numbness spread throughout her body.

The last thing she smelled was the pungent scent of blood, the odor becoming more and more overwhelming with every painful intake of air.

The last thing she tasted was the raw, rusty tang of fresh blood – her own blood.

The last thing she heard were cars honking… people screaming and shouting… and Tiffany sobbing and murmuring “I love you” and “Don’t leave me”.

 

Then, everything went black.

 

 

The spark of hope flickers…

 

~+~

 

Tiffany never believed in fate. But she believed in making things happen by choice. She writes the book of her life and she paints her own picture.

A sigh escapes her lips as her fingers traced a dried pink rose encased inside a photo album. It was their first date. And oh, how memorable it was.

“I didn’t know you still kept that,” a voice interrupted her brief trip to memory lane. “How long has it been, Honey…”

Tiffany welcomed the arms wrapping around her waist, resting her own above them. “Exactly a year since that day… you idiot…”

The other girl laughed as Tiffany turned around in her arms, the girl’s arms wrapping around her neck by habit. She smiled as their eyes met. “Happy Anniversary, Babe.”

Tiffany leaned her forehead against hers, closing her eyes in thought of that memorable day. “That day was such a bittersweet memory. I found you that day… but that day, I also almost lost you.”

Jessica cupped her cheek and kissed her deeply. When she pulled back, Tiffany’s eyes were staring into her own. She smiled softly and pecked her lips once more. “Yes, I almost died… but you saved me in that emergency room. And here I am a year later, happily spending my life with you. I’d gladly go through that day all over again if it meant getting to spend forever with you.”

“I love you so much,” Tiffany murmured, her lips pressing on the scar on Jessica’s right jaw.

Hearing those words never ceased to make Jessica’s heart swell with overwhelming emotions. “You are my forever, baby…”

 

 

This is really how it’s supposed to be.

Waiting for almost 10 years was worth it. All the things in between – the people they’ve been with, the separate paths they took, the years – didn’t matter.

In the end, all that matters was they found each other.

Forever starts now.

 

 

Yes, love is never easy, but it’s patient. It waits for the opportune moment.

 

~Fin~

 

A/N: Cue happy ending song.. lol. If you're reading this, then you read it, right...? So.. Thanks for reading! ;)