0.3

All That Great Heart Lying Still

 

Detective Choi delivered the news on a misty, January morning, leaning against the reception counter of Sparkle Saloon with Jang Ahjumma critically eyeing the cigarette clutched between his fingers.


He takes a drag, blow out the smoke and repeats his earlier words.
“It’s true. He’s being let out on parole.”


Walking to the window, he pulls it open and disposes the flaming roll.


“How long has it been? Ten years?” His breath mingles with the smoke and disappears into the snow outside.


So-mi feels her heart pause momentarily.
Then a beat, another one and its beating right again. Albeit a little faster, she notices.


“When?” She chokes out the single word infused with impatience and eagerness.


Too eager, the detective decides. He couldn’t help wondering but doesn’t probe.


“Tomorrow,” he replies. “Probably by mid day.”


Happiness, a wild kind of happiness bordering on euphoria dances in her eyes.


“Ahjumma,” her voice comes out breathless. “I want to take the day off tomorrow.”


The older woman consents with a smile. Even if she had refused, the girl wouldn’t have listened anyway. That So-Mi, she was older than she looked; and she had a mind of her own.