Good things come to those who wait

11 Steps To Your Heart

Yuri's POV

You know the expression, ‘good things come to those who wait?’  Well, all I can say is twenty four years is a long time to wait for anything.  Despite what my friends would tell me, love and relationships always seemed like a fairytale.  That is, until the day she walked into my life….or should I say, restaurant.  The story I’m about to share with you, my story, is about how I fell in love with her; #08 Kim Chee Ramen with all of the kim chee on the side.  And all it took was eleven steps.  Eleven steps to her heart.           

-------------------------------

"Yo Yuri, what's up?”

Breaking my train of thought, I looked up as a blonde haired girl plopped down on a stool in front of me. 

“What’s with the weird look?  Did something happen?"  With elbows resting on the counter, she stared at me with wide eyes.   

So you’re probably thinking I’m going to introduce this person as the love of my life.  Unfortunately, she won’t be making an appearance until a little later in the story.  This is actually my good friend, Hyoyeon.  We go way back to diaper wearing days.  Not only are we best friends, our dads started a ramen shop together.  After years of success, Hyoyeon’s dad eventually sold his half of the business to our family and we’ve been running the place ever since.  During school breaks, Hyoyeon stops by almost every day.  She claims she visits often so she won’t forget my face, but the funny thing is she never seems to leave without finishing off a bowl of ramen first.  And for free, I might add.  Not that I mind though, I love her to death; like a sister I never had.  Anyway, let’s get back to the story, shall we? 

"I wish!  See, that's the problem; nothing happened.  I can't help but feel like nothing will happen.  Not now, not ever."  A small sigh escaped my lips as self pity started to set in.

Before taking another bite, Hyoyeon looked up, slightly confused.  "Huh?  How is nothing happening a bad thing?" 

"Hyo, you've been with Sica for how long now?  Five years?"

"Three, but it feels like forever!  I'm only kidding; don't tell her I said that.  I'm still in the dog house for making her wait over an hour on our last date.  Apparently, it's my fault when it rains and when there's traffic.  At least she's letting me make it up to her, one massage at a time."

"See, that's what I want!" I shouted, nearly scaring the customers.

"You want a massage?" Hyoyeon asked with raised brows.

"No.  What you have with Sica.  You fight, yes.  But then you eventually make up.  That's what it means to be in a relationship.  The push, the pull.  The ups, the downs.  That's what I want to experience."

I could tell things were getting serious when Hyoyeon put her chopsticks down.  "Let me get this straight.  You voluntarily want to have someone nag you 24/7, make you do things you don't want to do, and then be threatened with violence or worse, horrible cooking if you say no?"

"Exactly!" I couldn’t help but get excited, thinking she was starting to understand what I was trying to say. 

"Okay, who's your doctor again?"

"Dr. Lee.  Why?"

"I think it's time for a visit.  You sound delirious." Hyoyeon said with a laugh.

"I'm being serious!  I see the two of you together and I can't help but feel envy.  Twenty four years.  Twenty four years and I've never been in a relationship.  I'm starting to think there might be something wrong with me."  I looked up, trying to hold back tears that were starting to form.

"Okay, now you’re just being crazy.  It's these girls; something must be wrong with them.  You know what I see?  I see someone who is beautiful inside and out.  A girl who has so much to offer; smart, funny, and a great cook, unlike someone I know.  Again, don't tell her I said that."

"My lips are sealed.  You know for a minute there, I thought you had some sort of secret crush on me or something," I said with a smile.

"Can’t you be serious for one minute?  I only want the best for you.  If anyone deserves to be happy, it's you.  You know that, right?"  She reached over the counter and pulled me in for a quick hug.

After letting go, I started to feel a little better.  "Yeah, I guess.  Sometimes I don't feel that way though," I said, trying to snap myself out of my depressed state.

"Never forget that, Yuri.  And to prove to you how much I believe it, I'll share with you my fool proof eleven steps to win a girl’s heart.  All you have to do is find her and I’ll help you with the rest.”

“Eleven?”

“Well, love can be complicated thing, especially with Sica.  Trust me on this,” she said as she stood up and placed both hands on my shoulders.  “Wait, is it five already?  I was supposed to meet Sica at 4:30.  She’s going to kill me!”

“Better get going!  And when you see her, please tell her I said hi and to spare your life; I need to know those eleven steps!”

“Will do!  And thanks again for the snack!” the shorter girl shouted as she turned to wave before sprinting out the door.

Left to my own thoughts, I began to think of the possibilities.  Eleven steps, huh?  I wonder if it’s that easy.  At this point, it’s worth a try.  After all, I have nothing to lose anyway….right?   

------------------------------------

A/N:  Why, hello there!  Hope you enjoyed this somewhat short first chapter.  To tell you the truth, I have no idea where I'm going with this story.  I really should get my in gear and finish my byunyul fic, but here I am being all ADD and starting something new without finishing the old.  Argh.  I could use some inspiration right about now.  Or better yet, some of Yuri's ramen.  Yum.       

Oh and a special shout out to the people who already upvoted this fic even though I didn't post any of the story.  Wow.  You guys are awesome.  *hugs*