Distraction

Pedestal

I'm back guys! This time, I'm going to put my obsession with the adorkable brat Oh Sehun to use and write this story about him. No, I am not abandoning my lunafly story, I will still continue to update that as regularly as I can. I hope you guys like this and I hope you guys read and review!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was two in the morning. Sehun sighed as he padded down one of the lesser used wings in the massive SM building. Sleep had evaded him for the past week and he grumbled irately at the circumstances. His makeup team had already complained about his unhealthy complexion but he had to brush them off. It didn’t matter if he took Suho hyung’s sleeping aids or not; insomnia had become a friend of his and he hoped to go into one of the lesser known practice rooms, blast some music at the loudest possible volume and dance until he felt like he was going to drop dead.

 

He needed a distraction.

 

He turned down another hallway and paused momentarily. A dim light was showing through a crack in the door at the end of the hall, which was odd because next to no one used these rooms for anything other than storage. Sehun took a few more steps until he was right next to the door, his back pressed against the wall as he turned his head to peer into the room.

 

He met head on with a cold, wet nose and a warm rough tongue lapping at his face.

 

“Argh!” Sehun stumbled backwards, falling down in the process, a massive black and white mound of fur following him out, big blue eyes peering imploringly at him from a friendly face.

 

“Heel, boy.” An unmistakably feminine voice sounded from above him. The dog thumped its enormous plume of a tail once but sat down obediently, its black lips stretching up to show the razor sharp canine teeth in an ironically happy ‘smile’.

 

“Are you okay? He didn’t bite you or anything, did he?” Sehun glanced up, his breath catching momentarily in his throat at the sight of the dog’s owner. She was beautiful, gorgeous even, in a very simple manner. Piercing green eyes were framed by thick lashes and her hair was so dark it looked almost blue in the dim light that shone from the room behind her. It took him a few seconds for him to comprehend the question of concern.

 

“N-no. Is he yours?” Sehun looked back down at the huge dog, reaching forward slowly to let the dog grow accustom to his scent. The dog shifted from paw to paw excitedly, at Sehun’s calloused hands eagerly and waiting for a rub between the ears.

 

She smiled at him before looking down at her dog, though she didn’t have to look down much. She was so short that her dog was nearly the same height as her sitting down on its powerful haunches. The top of her canine companion’s head was level with her chest and Sehun felt heat creeping up his face as he realized where he was staring.

 

“Yes. His name is Bang. And you are...?”

 

“Sehun. Oh Sehun,” He stood up and quickly brushed himself off, finally noticing just how short she was. Sehun was tall, taller than a good majority of s, but even D.O hyung had to be taller than this girl. The top of her head barely reached his shoulders.

 

“I’m Hyerin,” She looked up at him, a small smile curving her pouty pink lips. Sehun was suddenly all too glad for the dim lighting, otherwise she would be able to see the blush that warmed his pale cheeks. He cleared his throat awkwardly before leaning down to rub Bang between his furry white ears.

 

“Bang, hm? Is there a reason for his name?” The dog yipped excitedly at his name, standing up on his hind legs to balance massive furry paws on Sehun’s slender shoulders. Said male grunted slightly at the unexpected weight. Bang was a massive dog; he easily weighed over 150 pounds and Sehun wouldn’t have been surprised if the dog weighed even more than that.

 

Hyerin laughed slightly, giving her fingers a quick, sharp snap. Bang sat back down, his blue eyed gaze staring adoringly up at his owner. “His first trick was to play dead and he only does it if you pretend to shoot him with a gun,” Sehun raised his eyebrows in amusement, the corners of his, admittedly, pouty mouth lifting in the process.

 

“Like this: Bang, Bang!” Hyerin made a gun with her fingers, pointing them down at her dog, jerking her hand back with ‘recoil’ after each shot. The Alaskan Malamute immediately laid on the ground, whining noises coming from his throat as he rolled onto his side and pretended to die. He didn’t move from the position.

 

Sehun was about to comment, about to say that Bang was really smart before Hyerin nudged one sock covered foot into her dog’s shoulder. “You aren’t dead yet, boy.” It was a statement more than anything else. Her dog thumped its tail once in acknowledgement.

 

“Bang!” Sehun watched her make the gun for one last shot, this time, her dog keening and lifting one heavy forepaw and draping it over his muzzle. Hyerin was smiling at her dog’s antics, turning to face Sehun slightly.

 

“You can do just about anything to him when he’s like this. He won’t move unless I verbally tell him to get up,” Hyerin was nudging her dog again, her small foot sinking into the thick mass of fur. Aside from the regular rise and fall of breathing, Bang didn’t react to the persistent prodding.

 

Taking her words to heart, Sehun knelt down next to the dog and ran his hand along the soft fur of Bang’s belly. The fluffy tail that was curled up near his feet twitched, thumping softly against the floor.

 

“You’re supposed to be dead, boy,” Hyerin spoke. Bang’s tail stilled at his master’s voice, waiting for further command.

 

Hyerin was staring at the back of Sehun’s blue-grey haired head. She felt warmth blossoming up her neck; she always forgot that her father worked in the building where there was literally an unlimited supply of attractive people.

 

Sehun was smiling now; the dog took orders effortlessly. He patted the soft underbelly once more. “C’mon boy, time to get off the floor.”

 

Hyerin half expected her dog to remain on the floor. He usually never took orders from anyone else but her. However, at the sound of Sehun’s voice and his command, Bang got up, prancing around the two happily, his tongue lolling out of his mouth.

 

Hyerin was surprised, falling open as her eyes flicked between Sehun and Bang. Sehun was smiling at her dog, clearly impressed at how smart he was. Bang yipped once before turning to go back into the room, sitting at the base of a large bookshelf that served to hold all of his toys and treats. He eyed the large container of Milk-Bones hopefully.

 

Hyerin walked into the room, trusting Sehun to follow after her. She stood at the base of the bookshelf and stretched her lean body to reach for the container that was situated on the highest possible shelf. Her fingers came a few inches short of the container.

 

“Here, let me help you,” A shiver traced its way down her back at the impossibly husky, smooth voice in her ear. Sehun came up behind her, his tall form easily allowing him to reach up and take the container of dog treats down. A blush warmed her cheeks unconditionally as their fingers brushed against each other.

 

“A-ah, thank you...oppa,” Hyerin wasn’t actually sure if he was older than her or not, but she simply assumed he was. Sehun smirked to himself; it was incredibly adorable how she tacked on the informality.

 

“How old are you, Hyerin? I’m not even sure if you’re supposed to call me that. I’m 20, this year,” Sehun leaned against the bookshelf, taking in his surroundings through his peripherals. The room was definitely an old practice room, the wall of mirrors only indicated as much. There was a massive grey table with two pieces that met at the perpendicular by a large knob connected to it. There was a large sheet of white paper with lots of lines and, from what he could see with his perfect vision, lots of measurements. Next to the table was a large dog bed and on the far side of the room was a thick curtain, and behind which he assumed was her bed.

 

“I’m 19 this year, oppa,” Hyerin grinned up at Sehun, her wavy hair falling forwards slightly. She twisted open the jar of dog treats and took three out. Bang’s tail made a constant ‘thump, thump, thump,’ on the hard wood floors as he eagerly took one of the three treats she offered to him. Sehun was watching as Hyerin curled her index finger to touch her thumb, forming the ‘OK’ symbol, and slowly gestured it to the ground, her palm facing the floor. Bang watched the movement before obediently lying on the ground, his ears pricked and waiting to retrieve another treat. Sehun watched Hyerin smile before tossing her dog another treat. Turning, she handed the last of the dog biscuits to him.

 

“Tell him to do any ordinary dog trick, and when he does, give the treat to him,” Hyerin instructed, watching as Bang’s attention shifted from her to Sehun as he eyed the dog treat. Sehun thought for a minute tossing the dog treat in the air as he thought. A grin crossed his features as he considered his plan.

 

“Yehet!” Sehun called out, lifting his hand up for a high five. Bang jumped up on his hind legs to tap his furry paw against Sehun’s hand in a perfect example of a high five.

 

“Assa! Good boy, Bang!” Sehun smiled, the dog barked excitedly and turning in circles; Bang loved to please people and if this new man was someone that his master would be around often, he knew he would begin taking orders from this nice man that gave him treats. Hyerin smiled softly at the sight before turning to put the jar back on the shelf. Warm, calloused hands and long elegant fingers covered hers for a few breaths, their eyes meeting unintentionally. Sehun smiled down at her, taking the jar and putting it back on the highest shelf, far out of her reach.

 

“But, now I can’t get them down without my chair,” Hyerin pouted, pointing to the rolling chair that sat at the grey table.

 

“You can just rely on oppa to get them down for you,” Sehun grinned down at her. Hyerin huffed irately, turning on her heel and marching to the table, plopping down into the chair. Sehun followed after her, peering down at what was written on the paper. Lines were drawn in immaculate detail, numbers and what appeared to be dimension lines indicating the length of each segment.

 

“What is this?” Sehun paused momentarily to see if he could move the perpendicular bars, noticing now that they were massive rulers and the knob had numbers that moved in 5 degree increments. The cross section moved easily, rolling away to reveal the entirety of the paper. Hyerin picked up a pencil, but it wasn’t your normal pencil at all. It was kind of stubby looking and much thicker than ordinary pencils and it didn’t have any wood on it. The pencil was a solid stick of graphite.

 

“Blueprints. Well, not really blueprints, but it’s an architectural drawing.” Hyerin said, bringing the ruler sections back towards her and drawing a line that looked so close to another line, Sehun had to wonder why she did it. She quickly wrote down a set of numbers and pushed the ruler away. He had to admit, he was a little surprised, she seemed a little young to be doing this.

 

“Are you an architect? You seem incredibly young,” Sehun leaned against the table, just putting enough body weight on it to make it creak softly. Hyerin smiled up at him, and he became aware of her adorably pronounced dimples.

 

“I’m 19, finished high school at 15, got two degrees in architecture and aerospace engineering at University last year, and secured a job in one of the largest firms in Korea,” She blinked at him, taking in his awed look. Damn, she was so young and already her education level was incredible.

 

“What’s your IQ level?” Sehun was looking at her, his eyes round. She bit her bottom lip and Sehun couldn’t help the fact that he was drawn to the movement. Her pearly white teeth gently scraped across those luscious lips that look so soft and inviting...

 

“213, why, Sehunnie oppa?” She chewed her lip, looking at him expectantly. Sehun’s mouth dropped as his jaw slackened. He remembered discussing IQ levels in class and he knew that anything over 180 was profoundly gifted. A score over 200 was incredible, absolutely immeasurable.

 

“You’re a certified genius,” Sehun said, leaning forward so closely their breaths mixed. Hyerin squeaked in surprise, pushing her chair backwards. Sehun grinned at her flustered appearance, relishing in the “Oppa!” that fell from her pink mouth. He didn’t realize how much he loved it when a girl called him by that endearing name until now.

 

Hyerin felt like her heart was going to race straight out of her chest. Sehun had come in so close, his pouty mouth just inches away from her. ‘He’s just teasing you, don’t fall for his playboy tactics. If he is in this building, he’s bound to have some lucky girl always on his arm.’ the small voice in her head quipped. Even so, Hyerin felt like the breath was forcibly leaving her body against her will whenever he looked at her with those dark, dark eyes. He diverted his gaze from her, turning back to inspect the drawing she’d been working on before.

 

            From what he could tell, it looked like a room, but he couldn’t be sure because some of the lines looked too close together. They had to mean something. “What are you drawing?” He turned to look at her again. Hyerin’s breath hitched in .

 

            “Uhm, I’m working on a drawing for plans to extend a new practice room. I was hired by the CEO of SM because of his close connections with my father. I came in to inspect some rooms and he told me that with so many large groups under his care, he would love it if I could draw prints and oversee the construction of three new practice rooms,” Hyerin tucked a strand of hair out of her face.

 

            “So why aren’t you over in the office complex if you’re drawing?” Sehun turned to look back down at the drawing; he could see now that some of the lines had small detail notes. A thin blank section, it couldn’t have been more than a few 16ths of an inch, had the word ‘mirrors’ written in impeccably neat English. Hyerin laughed, more to herself than anything else.

 

            “My drafting table wouldn’t fit through the door. I asked Mr. Kang if he had any rooms that were possibly used for storage, because more likely than not, they would have double doors. He directed me here and I now work here, sometimes for 2 or 3 days straight. Besides, I like how quiet it is and Bang doesn’t get too excited because of the lack of company,” Hyerin leaned down and rubbed her dog between his ears. He blinked up at her, his tongue lolling out in a picture perfect ‘happy dog’ smile.

 

            “Your table wouldn’t fit through the door?” Sehun asked in disbelief. It would seem that any form of drafting table, with so many pieces to it, would be able to break apart for easier storage or transporting.

 

            Hyerin shook her head. “My table was custom made. It was pretty much attached to my floor and wasn’t meant to be uprooted. I managed to unbolt it from the floor but I couldn’t take it apart. The pieces are welded together really tightly. Rather aggravating, if you ask me, Sehun,” She sighed, blowing up some air to stir her side swept bangs. Sehun laughed at her expression; she looked angry but her angry face was about as fearsome as DO hyung’s expression and that wasn’t very menacing at all.

 

            Just as his laugh died off, there was a small, electronic beep behind him and he turned. Sitting on a small table was a sleek looking coffee machine. Steam clouded up around it as a dark brown brew began to drip down. The room was quick to fill up with the aromatic brew. Sehun sighed in appreciation, the smell beginning to warm up his chilled limbs. He hadn’t even realized how cold it was down here, two stories underground, until the smell of fresh coffee began to warm him up.

 

            Hyerin managed a sheepish grin. “My coffee maker is set to brew a pot every few hours. Do you take yours with cream and sugar?” She rose up gracefully, making her way to the table and picking up two cream colored mugs.

 

            “Cream and one spoon of sugar, please,” Sehun looked around, taking a seat at a large corner style desk that was heavily laden with papers and drafting supplies.

 

            “Hazelnut cream or just plain?” Hyerin had her back turned to him, stirring in one spoon of sugar into both steaming mugs. Sehun leaned his head on his arms, looking up at her petite form as he thought.

 

            “Hazelnut, please,” She nodded her head as she reached into the small refrigerator underneath the table and pulled out the flavored creamer, adding in a generous amount to both cups. The fragrant creamer filled the room with the scent of warmth. Hyerin padded back over to him, setting a steaming mug of coffee next to his face. Sehun wrapped his slender fingers around the mug, warming them up thoroughly before taking a sip. The brew was rich and bold but the hazelnut and sugar were sweet enough combined that they curbed the bitterness of the coffee perfectly.

 

            They sat in companionable silence, sipping on the hot drink. The only disturbance was when Bang got up from his bed and parked himself on top of the two pairs of feet beneath the desk, warming the socked limbs with his furry belly.

 

            “Sehun-ah, you’re part of Exo, right?” Her green eyed gaze leveled him with the question. He nodded and cleared his throat.

 

            “Yes, have you heard of us?” He asked, this time catching the inconspicuous tremor that seemed to ripple through her lithe body. He almost couldn’t help the grin that threatened to stretch across his handsome features. The room was pleasantly warm now so the shiver couldn’t have come from the temperature.

 

            “Who hasn’t heard of you guys? I don’t really pay attention to pop culture that much, but I certainly have listened to your songs a few times,” She chuckled to herself quietly. She’d certainly heard of them, and from the enormous fan base that had built up because of them, she knew a heck of a lot more than what she’d bargained for. It was only supposed to be a short little tour about them. With the incredible amount of attention they were getting, her curiosity had to be sated. She knew she’d heard of his name somewhere.

 

            “Oh? Did you like them?” Sehun raised an eyebrow. Hyerin giggled to herself; he looked so aristocratic when he did that, especially with his dark eyes and light silver hair.

 

            “I did, actually, though I do tend to listen to classical music and the occasional jazz piece because I need softer music in order to concentrate on drawing my plans. If I’m not mistaken, isn’t it you, oppa, that has the rainbow hair in the song ‘the Wolf and the Beauty’?”  She leaned back in her chair, sliding her feet out from beneath Bang and crossing her legs in her chair. It was now that Sehun realized she was wearing a form fitting hoodie and dark, tight jeans that clung to every delightful curve of her legs. She wasn’t extremely skinny; in fact, she seemed really lean and fit, like she did sports or exercised on a regular basis. It took him a few seconds to process her question.

 

            “Ha, yes, that would be me. I’m glad that you find me memorable,” He teased, taking a sip of his warm coffee. He caught the rosy blush the stained her cheeks. She cleared softly.

 

            “I just remember seeing the ending of a performance and you came shooting through that little cave of members and crouching down, winking at the camera, and I thought ‘Poor guy, his scalp must seriously hurt right about now from the incredible amount of chemicals.’” She laughed; flashing teeth that were so white they seemed to glow in the dim light. Sehun chuckled, a low, throaty sound.

 

            “You’re right, my head ached for at least three weeks after they dyed my hair. I haven’t gone back to my natural black hair since before we debuted; all I’ve been worrying about is dancing, rapping, and more dancing.” Sehun tossed the dregs of his coffee back, sighing in appreciation. Hyerin was looking at him now, curiosity evident in that piercing gaze.

 

            “You’re a dancer but not a vocal? You have such a nice voice,” She said, her cheeks warming up almost as soon as the sentence left . She cursed her habit of speaking her mind; it came with the package of her thirst for knowledge. Sehun leaned forward, a smirk lifting up the corners of his mouth in a slightly cocky way.

 

            “You think I have a nice voice, hm?” Hyerin squeaked, leaning backwards into her cushioned seat. He was so dangerously handsome, she hated it. The way the light from her lamp reflected off of his shiny blue-grey hair and the way his jaw line sloped so sharply downwards in a way that she just wanted to run her lips along the prominent bone.

 

            “You don’t think so?” She tried to make her voice sound confident, and it would have succeeded had it not been for the traitorous tremor that was so conspicuously evident. What was he doing to her? She fidgeted uncomfortably under his penetrating stare.

 

            Sehun had a wolfish grin on his face, chortling slightly in that adorably husky voice of his. “Relax, dongsaeng. I just like to make you squirm.

 

            ‘I would love to make you squirm in more ways than one...’ The thought crossed his mind and he couldn’t help but chuckle darkly inside his head.

 

            Hyerin felt another involuntary shiver make its way down the length of her body. The way he said it was practically a flashing neon sign that indicated what he was thinking. She sighed, slightly perturbed; she swore all guys were the same. Even when she studied abroad to get her degrees, she was chased down, mainly for her looks. She liked to think she was attractive, if not a little. She certainly wasn’t ugly, that much she could be assured of. 

 

            She looked up when her phone vibrated on the drafting table, a reminder popping up on the large screen of her Galaxy Note 3.

 

            ‘3:30 a.m. Finish drawing the dimension lines!’

 

            Sehun could read the reminder from where he sat; it was hard not to see it considering that her phone screen was the size of a damn tablet. He set the mug that he’d been aimlessly toying with down and stood up, a yawn coming from him. He felt tired now, which was odd since he didn’t exert much energy and had a drink that was loaded with caffeine and sugar.

 

            “You should head to bed, oppa. I would think that you have a schedule tomorrow...” She stated before glancing at the clock. “...later this morning,” She amended and flashed him a crooked grin. Sehun nodded and bent down to give Bang one last rub on his fluffy scruff. The malamute Sehun’s hand with his warm tongue in farewell before getting up and heading to his own bed, his job of warming up their feet done.

 

            “You should sleep too. At least for a few hours,” Sehun said, another yawn coming from him as he grabbed his phone from the bookshelf that he’d left it on. He quickly typed in his pass code and headed towards the contacts, silently handing it to Hyerin to put in her number. Hyerin smiled softly before inputting her number with quick, nimble fingers.

 

            “I’ll text you later?” He asked as he slipped his shoes back on at the double doors. She nodded before shooing him away. He laughed and bid her goodnight, walking back towards the dorm room which he shared with s, a smile gracing his sharply handsome features.

 

            Maybe he’s found the distraction from his insomnia that he’s been looking for, after all.