Unexpected Visitor

It’s Your Fault For Getting Adopted!

Mina and Luhan walked side by side down the busy afternoon street. They were on their way to the Yehet cafe where their best friend worked. During the trip, Luhan was extra quiet, rolling about in a miserable mess in his own world as Mi-hyun's words echoed in his mind again and again; stabbing him in the heart, bleeding him dry.

"As foul as my taste may be, my type will never be someone like you."

Just thinking about it made him wince. Mina, who was carefully studying his strange behavior gently patted his back and flashed him a reassuring smile, "Stop worrying Luhan, just apologize to Mi-hyun and everything will be fine." She tried to comfort him.

Luhan shook his head and let out a long sigh. He didn't know because even if Mi-hyun forgave him, her type would still be someone like Sehun, not him, so it wouldn’t make much of a difference, would it?

 

~~~~

 

I served the four boys in annoyance as they demanded for this and that. I hated being ordered around by those four. Who were they anyways?

Chanyeol was being extra nice like always and came to my rescue whenever the four decided to pick on me. Right now, I was on break and was stuffing my face with the delicious cake freshly baked from the kitchen.

After swallowing a big mouthful of yummy sweets, I looked up at Chanyeol who was getting something from the shelves of the staff room.

"Hey, Chanyeol, are you sure I'm allowed to eat these?" I asked and pointed to the plate on the table filled with food.

He smiled and picked a crumb off a piece of chocolate from a slice of cake, "Definitely. My dad said this is our reward for being so helpful, so go all out. We've got nothing but piles of these here, Mi-hyun."

I wiped my face with a napkin and decided I've already had enough.

"Yeah, but the reward is for the both of us, not just me, you come and eat some too!" I exclaimed and pulled the tall boy over to the table.

He shook his head, "I'm still on duty, remember? I'll eat it after my shift is done, that is, if you do leave some for me," he said and chuckled.

I nodded and stood up before putting my uniform back on. "Alright, mister. You come here and take a seat. I'll work now," I said and pushed him on the chair.

"What? No, your break isn't over yet," he argued.

"So? If I don't move, these food will eventually find it's way down my throat somehow," I mumbled the last sentence in a little embarrassment.

Chanyeol just looked at me and smiled. "Alright then, if you say so."

I waved and quickly headed out to work. The four idiots out there were just finishing up. One spotted me and called me over, I gulped and obeyed.

"We are done here. How much was our meal?" The scary, tall boy said as he  took out his leather wallet.

I quickly took out the calculator and calculated the total amount.

"It's $18.99, sir," I answered shakily.

"19 dollars then," he nodded and gave me the money along with a few coins for my tip. I was surprised by his actions since he had a contradicting scaring appearance with a kind attitude. "Is there a problem?" He waved his hand in front of my face.

I quickly snapped out from my trance and smiled sweetly at him.

"Thank you for visiting Yehet Cafe, please come again!" I said politely and all of the four boys stood up.

"Don't worry, we'll be back tomorrow," the dimpled boy smiled and gave me a little wink; his actions left me speechless as I stared at him with no reaction. Soon, the four boys headed out the door and disappeared completely down the street. Maybe they weren't such bad people after all...

I hated to admit this, but all four of them were really handsome too.

I headed back to the cash register to place the cash in. But just when I was organizing the money, a tiny piece of paper slipped out and fluttered to the ground beneath my feet. I quickly bent down and picked it up. As I unfolded the the wrinkled paper, I noticed that there were words scribbled on the inside.  I brought it closer to my face to read it. The scribbled note read: 'Hey pretty lady. You got chocolate on your face.'

I gasped after reading the teasing note and quickly took out my phone to check.  Horrifyingly, it was true. The little devil of chocolate icing was snuggled shamelessly near the base of my chin. I wiped it off in frustration and cursed the four idiots in my head. No wonder they had such victorious smirks on their faces when I served them.

Since I didn't work on Friday, and today was Thursday, Mr. Park decided to send me off early to enjoy my weekend.

"Mi-hyun and Chanyeol, you both did a great job this week. School will be starting in a few weeks for the both of you, right? I'll let you two off early to enjoy your summer," Mr. Park said with a pleasant smile on his face.

Chanyeol had a wide grin on his cheeks.

"Thanks dad! Kyungsoo asked me to play basketball with him today so I'll be off now!", he exclaimed happily.

I smiled upon Chanyeol's happy behavior, just watching him be happy was warming my heart. "Thank you Mr. Park. I'll be off now too, see you next Monday," I said.

"Wait, before you two leave, I have something for you two here," Mr. Park said and held out two envelopes for the both of us. I looked at the envelope hesitantly, mom told me not to take anything from Mr. Park since my work was 100% volunteer.

As if Mr. Park had inhumane super abilities, he read my thoughts and  smiled gently. "Mi-hyun, this is my gratitude for all of your guy’s hours of hard work... Think of it as a present, not a pay."

I nodded as he convinced me and took the envelope, Chanyeol did too. Both of us thanked him before leaving the cafe. By the shop door, Chanyeol bid me goodbye. "Bye Mi-hyun, this week was fun with you around. See you on Monday!" He exclaimed and headed to a bike locked by the side of the wall.

"Bye Chanyeol," I replied and was about to leave when I heard Chanyeol swearing loudly. I turned to see what was wrong and found the boy kneeling beside his bike tire.

I quickly rushed up to him. "What's wrong?" I asked.

Chanyeol pointed to his flat tire and held a piece of paper in his hand. "Those guys from before popped my bike tire," he said through his clenched teeth. I froze for a second and looked at the note in his hand. Chanyeol noticed me staring and handed me the note. "They left this under my bike wheel. Read it and you'll see."

I took the note and viewed the contents. 'Sorry about the tire bro, we accidentally damaged it with a pocket knife'. Were they declaring war between us? I handed the note back to Chanyeol and sighed. "Oh my gosh, how could they do this? What have we ever done to them?"

Chanyeol shook his head in disbelief. "I honestly have no idea. Well, I have to go find somewhere to fix it..."

"Oh, I'm sorry..." I apologized.

Chanyeol looked up at me. "What are you apologizing for? You didn't do this," he said and stood up to face me.

"I don't know, it just feels like all of this mischief is directed in my presence... I am sure this wouldn't have happened if I wasn't here," I said unsurely and looked away.

Chanyeol ruffled my hair. "No, it's definitely not you, Mi-hyun. Let's not talk about this now, it already happened." Chanyeol had a grin on his face that immediately lifted my mood.

"Okay then. How are you going to bring this home then?" I asked and pointed to the bike.

Chanyeol chuckled, "I am at home, remember?" He said gestured to the second floor of the cafe.

"Right... I forgot that you live here."

"Yep, so now, I'll just bring this upstairs and get my dad to change the tire. But, I got to meet up with Kyungsoo, see ya!" Chanyeol said and quickly walked the bike away. I waved and a smile lingered upon my face.

I looked down at my watch and made my way to the bus stop. It was only 4:00 pm. I guess I was heading home pretty early today; some free time for anime and manga. On the way to the bus stop, I passed by a bubble tea shop and my memory was triggered. This was the exact shop I went with Sehun and the three boys before. It sure had been a while since I last saw them...

The bright pastel sign hung above the entrance. I decided to get some bubble tea and walked in the pleasant little shop. I was immediately greeted by a staff who welcomed me with a bright smile. Looking up at the menu, I chose a taro flavoured slushy bubble tea and waited for my order.

 

Sitting on the bus with the cool refreshing drink in hand, I looked out the window at the busy afternoon scenery. When the bus stopped at the traffic light, I spotted two familiar figures walking down the street together. Luhan and Mina! What were they doing out here together? And didn't Mina just came back from her trip? Where were they going?

During the whole ride back, my mind didn't calm down as the sight of Mina and Luhan together flowed in my thoughts. There was no one home by the time I got back. My parents were both at work, and Luhan was with Mina somewhere without notifying me. Suddenly, with no particular reasons, I felt angry and betrayed. Mina was supposed to be my best friend, why did she see Luhan first instead of me? The two could have at least invited me to join them...

I took off my work clothes and changed into a loose oversized T-shirt with shorts and flopped onto the sofa with my tablet in hand. I gulped down the rest of my bubble tea and tossed it into the trashcan before turning my attention to the device on my lap.

To lighten up my mood, I chose a romance comedy anime called “Kamigami No Asobi” and played it. It was really good, I squealed multiple times as the handsome gods interacted with the main character. Just when I was dozing off into the anime world, the stupid doorbell rang.

Gosh, who is it, interrupting my precious anime session? I groaned and headed for the door. If it was Luhan out there, I would have slammed the door in his face. I immediately became annoyed as I remembered about him being with Mina before.

I opened the door shot death glares. "What were you doing with Mina out there-" I stopped and quickly covered my mouth as I realized the person standing there wasn't Luhan at all.

"Well, hello to you too."

"S-Sehun? I'm sorry, I thought it was someone else. Come on in!" I quickly apologized and opened the door wider.

"No problem," he replied and politely took his shoes off before walking in.

I smiled nervously, still shocked by the fact that Sehun was actually in my house right now.

Sehun looked around and chuckled. "I still remember the last time Luhan actually made it rain."

"Nah, I'm sure it was just a coincidence," I laughed.

"It's been awhile since I came over, eh? You house is still as nice as the last time I was here," he said.

"You're right. Well, my house isn't much compared to yours," I said as I tried to recall what his home looked like.

He chuckled softly. "So, Luhan's not home?" Sehun asked.

I frowned upon the mentioning of my damn brother's name. "Nope, he is out with Mina somewhere."

He nodded, "This makes my life so much easier..." He mumbled under his breath before fixing his gaze on me. "Are you unhappy?" He asked with a teasing smile.

"Well of course. Mina is my best friend, today is the first day she came back from her vacation, and she goes out with Luhan first before seeing me?" I exclaimed.

"Wait. So, are you jealous?" That Luhan is out with another girl?

I sighed, "Yes."

Sehun's eyes widened.

I noticed the change of his expression. "Why are you so surprised? You should be able to understand my feelings."

Sehun choked upon my words. "What feelings?" He asked.

"You aren't as sharp as I expected, Sehun," I said with a little smile on my face. Sehun's expression was so adorable!

He continued to stare.

"Okay, stop looking at me like that! What are you so surprised about? Mina is my best friend. So it should be me who get to see her first, she should ask me out, right? Not Luhan."

After hearing my response, Sehun let out a sigh of relief and laughed. "Whoa, I thought you were onto something else for a second."

I looked at him in confusion, "Onto what?"

"Never mind. I'm just here to talk with you today. To clear up some questions I have that's been bothering me for a few weeks. Everything just felt wrong after that day, when you heard me talking to myself," he said and looked at me to see if I was following.

"Yes, I remember. It was raining pretty hard eh?" I laughed nervously, suddenly feeling a bit tensed up by the subject we were talking about.

"Yeah. So, how do you really feel about me, Mi-hyun?"

I paused for a second. How do I feel about Sehun? Oh Sehun, the handsome nice boy currently sitting on the sofa across from me. I had a crush on him since middle school. I loved him, right?

I stared blankly at him, quickly searching for the right words to say. My mouth parted slightly, but nothing came out...

"Mi-hyun?" He called.

"I-I really don't know," I stuttered and suddenly had the urge to cry. What is wrong with me?

Sehun sighed and massaged his temple. I sat there awkwardly, feeling the heat creeping up my face.

"Mi-hyun," Sehun broke the silence. "You know my feelings for you, right?"

I nodded.

"Well. How would you respond if I were to… To declare my love for you right now? Would you happily accept and go out with me?" Sehun questioned quietly, with a hint of hesitance in his voice.

"I, I..." I trailed off to consider my answer. I had one, but I was searching for the right words to keep Sehun from getting hurt.

Sehun gazed into my eyes with sadness, "I think I understand. You don't have to say anymore, Mi-hyun," he whispered.

I looked at him. "Thank you for understanding... Sehun, you shouldn't get yourself caught up with me. You deserve a better girl. I'm sure the feelings between us will die down, as it already had for me..." I said.

"No, my feelings for you won't change, Mi-hyun. Anytime you are ready for me again, I shall be here to hear your response..."

"Sehun... I-I need some time. I am not ready for any relationships right now," I said.

"That also includes Luhan, right?" Sehun asked.

I froze, Luhan was my brother. There was no way I could have feelings for him, could I? "Sehun, Luhan is my sibling, you know that. It's wrong between us," I answered firmly.

Sehun nodded, "I don't know if I should trust your words, Mi-hyun."

"If you can't trust me, then don't love me..." I said, but those words came off in a whisper, I wasn't sure if Sehun had heard them.

Sehun stood up and walked to me. "So, just friends right now?"

I stood up too and held out a hand. "Just friends."

He took my hand and squeezed it tight.

"For now."