Gladiolus

A Flower for Every Kind

“Hey! Hey, kid! Watch out!”

 

YoungJae turns around, ready to fight off some drunk. Instead, he finds himself wrapped in strong arms and thrown to the side. The roughness of the sidewalk scrapes across his arm, causing him to scream from the shock of pain.

 

“Yo! You okay?”

 

YoungJae looks up angrily at the man who is currently pinning him to the ground. “What do you think you’re doing?”

 

“Saving your life,” the guy replies, grinning wildly. “Hey, you’re pretty cute.”

 

“Alright? Thanks. Let me go.”

 

“But I saved your life, man!” The guy gets up, extending his hand to help YoungJae up. “You seriously would’ve died. Someone knocked a flower pot out of their apartment window, and it was definitely gonna hit you right on your beautiful head.” YoungJae looks at the shattered remains of a flower pot (and the once-beautiful gladiolus flowers) on the ground, and then at the guy, awkwardly.

 

“Thanks,” YoungJae murmurs. He takes the guy’s hand, feeling himself easily being hoisted up. He dusts off his school uniform to the best of his ability, thankful that he had opted out of wearing the jacket today, as the friction between him and the sidewalk would probably have ripped a hole through the sleeve.

 

“Oh, dude, you’re bleeding!” The guy is clearly concerned—YoungJae has no idea why—as he gingerly takes YoungJae’s arm in his hands. “Let me take you back to my place so I can fix you up. It was my fault anyway for being so careless.”

 

“My school uniform is ruined…I’m screwed,” YoungJae mutters, not really paying attention. All he knows is one minute he’s worrying about how he’s going to be able to afford a new school uniform and the next he’s sitting on the guy’s couch.

 

YoungJae watches the man clean the scrape on his arm with careful fingers, his actions gentle and apologetic. YoungJae has a feeling such sincerity and softness coming from this guy is a sight unknown to most of the public.

 

“Thanks,” YoungJae mumbles. “I really ended up owing you a lot, and I don’t even know your name…”

 

“Jackson Wang, at your service.” Jackson grins as he smooths the large bandage across YoungJae’s arm. “You wanna tell me your name? Or are you cool with me calling you my boyfriend?”

 

“W-what?” YoungJae almost screams. He can feel his face rising in temperature. “My name is YoungJae!” He starts laughing awkwardly, something he finds himself doing whenever he has no idea what to do.

 

“Mmm, YoungJae. You’re really cute.” YoungJae’s awkward laughter erupts again. Jackson leans in, way too close, and YoungJae can feel the hot breath tickling his nose. “Hey, you owe me a favor. Since I saved your life and all.”

 

YoungJae narrows his eyes comically and warily studies Jackson’s cheeky grin. “Yeah, okay.”

 

“Go on a date with me.” The tone in Jackson’s voice is smooth and cocky, like he knows YoungJae is going to agree. And YoungJae does agree, with an awkward laugh and red cheeks.

 

--

 

YoungJae’s eyes are wide as he cautiously walks towards the shopping district filled with festival lights and booths. Jackson told him to meet him at the entrance to Hongdae’s Annual International Culture Festival, but YoungJae doesn’t really know where the entrance is so he loiters—awkwardly, of course—next to a food stand. He looks around, angry at himself for being nervous and excited. He literally just met Jackson two days ago and now he is somehow on a date with him—a situation YoungJae’s mother has always warned him about. Stay away from strangers, she always said, and never go too far with someone you wouldn’t trust your life with.

 

In the midst of his thinking, YoungJae feels soft lips on his cheek and a breathy “Hey babe” in his ear, and he screams, blushing profusely. He turns to see Jackson smirking at him.

 

“W-what the , Jackson?” He starts laughing awkwardly again and Jackson links their fingers together as he tugs the younger boy along and they start walking. “Hey, aren’t you worried about people seeing?” YoungJae tries to pull his hand away but Jackson’s grip is unrelenting.

 

“Why? Let them see my cute boyfriend and be jealous~” Jackson sings out. YoungJae’s face gets even redder, which he didn’t think was possible, as he lets out a nervous chuckle.

 

“But,” he tries to tug their fingers apart again, “We’re in Korea. You know…this kind of thing’s not really—”

 

“Who cares.” Jackson leans over to kiss YoungJae’s forehead, and YoungJae can register the faint aroma of warm cocoa coming from Jackson’s skin. YoungJae thinks the art world should invent a new color based off the intensity of red in his cheeks; people could be painting pictures with beautiful of Crimson YoungJae, with a few dashes of passionate Chocolate Jackson.

 

YoungJae distracts himself from Jackson’s lips long enough to remember how to talk. “I care. I don’t even know you, really; we just met.”

 

Jackson stops walking to look at YoungJae, that rare seriousness present in his eyes again. “But that’s your only problem with this, that we don’t really know each other. Otherwise, this is all good.” It doesn't have the sound of a question to it, but YoungJae has a feeling Jackson is looking for a confirmation. YoungJae squeezes Jackson’s hand and tries his best to give a cute—and totally not awkward—smile. He guesses it works because Jackson grins and they continue walking.

 

--

 

Hours filled with Crimson YoungJae-colored cheeks, awkward laughter, excited shouts and Chocolate Jackson-colored kisses pass by and YoungJae can feel his stomach screaming at him. He doesn't want to mention anything, though, because he doesn't want to bother Jackson. It turns out Jackson already knew, and Jackson will always be bothered until YoungJae is completely comfortable and happy.

 

They stop at a food truck that Jackson promises is delicious. YoungJae can practically feel his mouth water when the enticing aromas hit his nose. 

 

"Hey, what do you want? It's Western food." Jackson gestures towards the menu taped to the front of the food truck; YoungJae gets excited when he sees in English. He scans the menu, trying his best to comprehend the foreign language that he’s been vigorously studying the past six months. "Oh, do you want me to translate?"

 

"Cheeseburger!" YoungJae says the first word he recognizes before Jackson can go to the trouble of translating. Jackson looks at him, surprised, with a proud grin slowly growing on his face.

 

"Cheeseburger? Okay, cool." Jackson turns to the man who runs the food truck. “Two cheeseburgers and a coke,” Jackson says easily in English, and YoungJae marvels at how Jackson’s voice sounds when he speaks English.

 

“You speak English?” YoungJae wants to punch himself in the face. Of course Jackson speaks English—he just offered to translate an English menu and ordered their food in English. YoungJae curses his ability to make himself look dumb regardless of the situation.

 

“Yeah, I’m from Hong Kong.”

 

“Wait, really?” YoungJae’s eyes are wide. “But your Korean is so good!”

 

Jackson laughs, something YoungJae doesn’t remember finding so attractive before. “Yeah, I’ve lived here for three years, so I’m pretty good at it now. But, hey! You know English?”

 

“Um, well, no, I’m learning a bit…but I’m not really good yet.” YoungJae can feel his trademarked color returning to his cheeks and he has no idea why. It’s not a big deal, but Jackson just seems to make him so flustered.

 

“No, man! Your pronunciation’s pretty great. Hey, if you wanna practice, you can always talk with me.” Jackson smiles, so smooth and so easy, and YoungJae feels a tiny pang of jealousy; why is it that everything seems so effortless for Jackson? YoungJae just wants his tinted cheeks to stop being a normal thing when he’s near Jackson, but it seems there is no sign of that stopping any time soon.

 

The food truck man leans out of the window, hands laden with cheeseburgers, and Jackson lets a “thanks” fly from his mouth as he immediately turns to hand YoungJae his cheeseburger.

 

“Thank you,” YoungJae mumbles shyly in English, almost hoping Jackson would miss it, but the wild-looking grin on his face tells YoungJae he doesn't.

 

“No problem.”

 

--

 

The sun has retired by now but YoungJae doesn’t notice. He’s completely focused on the warmth of Jackson’s arm around his shoulders and the smooth, chocolaty feel of Jackson’s voice through the low-quality noraebang speakers. Jackson’s singing some English song that YoungJae’s only heard once or twice, and that YoungJae only understands one or two lines of, but that isn’t stopping either of them from having a good time. YoungJae finds himself studying the mechanics of Jackson; the way his lips curl on certain syllables and the way he flips his fringe out of his eyes consistently, to the beat of some drum that no one but YoungJae is keeping track of. YoungJae memorizes the way Jackson absentmindedly alternates between squeezing YoungJae’s arm with the hand that’s draped across his shoulder and it with his thumb. The song has finished by now but YoungJae doesn’t notice.

 

Until Jackson leans in and presses his lips to the place right below YoungJae’s ear.

 

“J-jackson!” YoungJae squeaks, and would have jumped into the air if it weren’t for Jackson’s arm keeping him glued to the seat. Jackson just smiles, cool and effortless.

 

“Hey, I’ve been the only one singing. Do you wanna try?” Jackson offers the microphone to YoungJae, waggling his eyebrows in a ridiculous manner that just makes YoungJae want to punch him in the nose, or kiss him, or both.

 

“Me? Sing? I’m not very, um, I don’t really think it’ll be good?” YoungJae chuckles nervously. “I’m not really used to singing in front of people.” Jackson rolls his eyes, placing the microphone in YoungJae’s hand.

 

“C’mon, you’re probably like a singing god and you’re just hiding it from me.”

 

“No, I really don’t sing in front of people!” YoungJae makes a weird face and Jackson can’t help but laugh. “See? This is exactly why!” YoungJae whines, feeling the red tint settle into its place on his cheeks. Jackson’s laugh subsides, a soft grin taking its place. He squeezes YoungJae’s arm.

 

“Hey, I won’t laugh, okay? I promise.” Jackson raises his eyebrows, waiting for YoungJae to make his move. YoungJae stares at him, his nose scrunched up and his mouth twisted in distaste, for a moment before he sighs.

 

“Fine, but don’t laugh. You promised,” YoungJae warns the older man as he stands to pick up the song selection binder and look for one he knows pretty well. His eyes scan the worn pages until they catch the name ‘JYP’. The silly beginning to the song plays and Jackson gets excited, shouting out a “Let’s go!” and clapping his hands together. YoungJae finds himself awkwardly bobbing his head to the beat, trying to ignore the fact that Jackson is there. After the first line, though, YoungJae has no worries. He bounces to the beat, his hands moving the way he likes when he sings, his neck craning to hit the higher notes with ease.

 

Oh! Honey, oh Baby eojjeom areumdapgido haji~

 

Jackson is up and dancing now, mouthing the words but not singing out loud. YoungJae smiles into the song, every nervous flitter he had concerning singing in front of Jackson gone. It’s the second verse and YoungJae adds a little husky, gravelly roughness to his voice to this one section—something he’s been practicing—and Jackson stops everything that he’s doing and stares at him, eyes wide and glazed over. YoungJae doesn’t notice until the song is over and he looks at Jackson, smiling and giddy from his performance. His smile disappears as soon as he sees Jackson’s face, however.

 

“…What?” YoungJae feels his heart sink. “I told you I shouldn’t have…”

 

“No—oh my God—no that’s not it. YoungJae, geez, you’re amazing! Like, professionally amazing!” Jackson pulls YoungJae into a suffocating hug, laughing as he twirls him around. “Man, every time you tell me you at something I’m just gonna expect an angel to come down from heaven because that’s definitely what just happened here.”

 

“You’re stupid,” YoungJae mutters into Jackson’s shirt, glad that he can bury his blushing face in the dark fabric. YoungJae’s love for everything Jackson just said will remain a secret between him and Jackson’s oversized basketball jersey.

 

--

 

After the noraebang staff kicked them out because YoungJae is a minor and it was after 10 P.M., Jackson walks YoungJae home. The trip is too short and YoungJae feels disappointment settle in his chest as soon as his front door is in view. Jackson lets go of his hand. YoungJae wrinkles his nose in confusion.

 

“You’re really cute,” Jackson sighs, as though he is frustrated. He smiles at YoungJae, lifting his hand to cup the younger boy’s face. A bright hue of Crimson YoungJae lights up YoungJae’s pale skin, and Jackson thinks he’s never seen anything prettier.

 

YoungJae fidgets in his spot, anticipating something but not really knowing what it is that he is anticipating. Jackson doesn’t move, which prompts YoungJae’s awkward laughter.

 

“Look, if you’re really not okay with this, I’ll leave you alone. But today was a lot of fun, and when I say you’re really cute, I mean I really like you.” Jackson pats YoungJae on the head. “Thanks for today, YoungJae. It was seriously the best date I’d ever been on. Call me up if you wanna hang out again." His grin is soft, and maybe just a little bit sad, as he turns to leave. Jackson makes it five feet before YoungJae gives in.

 

"Jackson!" YoungJae flails his arms awkwardly, wanting to say something that he's no sure how to say, mainly because he's never said it before. Jackson turns back around, his body tense and his legs slightly bent, ready to take off running towards YoungJae as soon as an 'okay' is voiced. "Today was fun, and, um, yeah, so maybe we can do this again?"

 

Jackson grins wildly, taking a step forward. "Hmmm, I don't know. I'm pretty busy; I've got plans with my boyfriend."

 

"Wait, what? What do you mean? You went on this entire date with me and all of this, but you've got a boyfriend?" YoungJae's fuming, his face now an angry shade of crimson. "You're disgusting, I can't believe you!" Jackson laughs heartily, taking another step towards YoungJae.

 

"Oh my God, YoungJae, I literally used the oldest, cheesiest line from every sappy drama ever, and you still fell for it." The situation dawns on him, and YoungJae has never wanted to punch Jackson, or kiss him, more than this moment. Jackson sees the younger boy's face contort in a mixture of anger and relief, causing him to grin even wider. "C'mon, you're not mad, right? You still love me?"

 

"I don't exactly remember agreeing to being your boyfriend," YoungJae points out, eyeing Jackson carefully as he takes another step forward.

 

"So? I don't exactly remember you disagreeing with it, either."

 

YoungJae rolls his eyes, sass seeming to be the only thing he can do easily in Jackson's presence now; it's a start. YoungJae secretly hopes that soon everything with Jackson will become as comfortable and as easy as breathing. "Jackson, just come here and kiss me." YoungJae thinks he only has this confidence because of the satisfied grin on Jackson's face. Jackson closes the short distance between them and cups YoungJae's face, pulling him closer to him. 

 

Their lips meet and YoungJae is extremely glad he didn't listen to his mother's warnings about meeting new people. Even though they've just met, YoungJae feels like he can trust Jackson with his life, so giving Jackson his heart doesn't seem like a bad idea.

 

And Jackson proves that it isn't.

 

--

 

"YoungJae, that boy is here again!" YoungJae's mother calls from the front door.

 

"He has a name, mom," YoungJae reminds her as he rolls out of bed while trying to pull some pants up. Unfortunately, YoungJae isn't the best at multitasking and he ends up slamming his face into the floor.

 

"His name is awful." YoungJae can hear Jackson's noise of protest at his mother's statement.

 

"You're just upset you can't pronounce it." YoungJae laughs, ignoring his mother, who continues to go on about 'difficult English names'. He takes the stairs two steps at a time, smiling wide upon seeing Jackson's face.

 

"I'm leaving you two alone, so please don't get anything on the furniture," YoungJae's mom jokes, shuffling back into the kitchen. Jackson cackles and YoungJae's cheeks are a familiar red.

 

"Hey," YoungJae greets, linking their fingers together as the move to sit on the couch in the living room. He takes notice of the pot of gladiolus flowers in Jackson's other hand. "Nice flowers. You got someone special to give them to?"

 

"Hey yourself. Actually, I have a question."

 

"Yeah?" YoungJae's heartbeat speeds up.

 

"I never officially asked you, and I probably should have the first day anyway, but hey, do you wanna be my boyfriend?" Jackson grins expectantly, holding up the pot of flowers. "I got you those flowers, ya know, the ones that almost killed you."

 

"How romantic." YoungJae's voice sounds sarcastic, but he's actually quite touched. He didn't think Jackson would remember something like that.

 

"C'mon, YoungJae! Without these flowers we wouldn't know each other. These flowers are sacred." Jackson cradles the pot of gladiolus to his face, the ceramic creepily. YoungJae thinks he looks ridiculous.

 

"You're stupid."

 

"So that's a yes? I mean, it's a little late for you to say no now anyway--but it's a yes?"

 

"Yes, idiot." YoungJae takes the flowers from Jackson and places them on the side-table, out of the way. He leans in, pressing his lips against Jackson's.

 

Man, YoungJae is really glad he didn't listen to his mother about meeting new people; Jackson is the greatest thing to ever happen to his life.