Daisy

A Flower for Every Kind

Kunpimook rubs his sweaty palms on his jeans as he stands in front of YuGyeom’s house. He’s usually not the type to get flustered, but he’s never been over to any of his classmate’s houses before—let alone the house of the biggest crush he’s ever had in his life, and the only crush to reciprocate those feelings. Yeah. Kunpimook exhales slowly, running a hand through his hair for a last-minute make-himself-look-fine effort. He carefully places his simple and small bouquet of daisies in his backpack—he’ll bring those out when the time is right—and presses the doorbell. Here goes nothing.

 

--

 

YuGyeom and Kunpimook sit two feet apart on YuGyeom’s bed, both with their backs up straight, their posture rigid and tense. Nervousness lays thick in the air. Kunpimook glances at the younger boy out of the corner of his eye. YuGyeom clears his throat and stands up abruptly.

 

“S-so…we should work on our science lab,” YuGyeom suggests, his voice cracking. Kunpimook nods, pulling out his lab book from his backpack, making sure to keep the daisies hidden.

 

“Do you wanna write the procedure?” Kunpimook’s voice is softer and quieter than usual. YuGyeom nods, reaching to take the book from the older boy’s hands. Their fingers brush against each other, resulting in a fierce blush on YuGyeom’s face and a quick jerk away from the contact by Kunpimook. Kunpimook coughs.

 

“I’ll g-go write it on the desk.” YuGyeom settles himself at his desk, leaving Kunpimook to sit awkwardly on the bed, thumbing through the textbook. Silence envelops the room.

 

--

 

After a few hours of heavy silence Kunpimook sighs. He’s bored, and when Kunpimook gets bored he starts getting ideas. His current idea involves getting YuGyeom to break down and ask him out before he does. Kunpimook suppresses a smirk, setting down the textbook and flopping down face-first on the bed. He inhales, the overwhelming scent of YuGyeom bringing a blush to his cheeks.

 

“YuGyeom~ Let’s take a break! Come here,” Kunpimook calls, waving the younger boy over to the bed. YuGyeom reluctantly sits next to Kunpimook, his face as red as a tomato. Kunpimook pouts. “C’mon, lay next to me~”

 

YuGyeom feels like he’s going to pass out as he shakily lays down on his back next to Kunpimook. Kunpimook smiles happily. A few moments pass before he moves closer to YuGyeom, snuggling up against his side and leaning his head on his chest. He can feel YuGyeom tense under his touch and Kunpimook suppresses a giggle.

 

“K-kun, can you move over?”

 

“No~ You’re warm!” Kunpimook whines, snuggling closer to the flustered boy. YuGyeom holds his breath, his brain threatening to shut down. YuGyeom has no idea what to do. He has absolutely no idea what to do, so he gives in. He remembers watching a drama once where the female lead was oblivious to the male lead’s feelings and kept using excessive skinship because they were childhood friends; eventually, the male lead couldn’t take it anymore and turned the tables, using the skinship to confess to the female lead. It worked for him, YuGyeom muses, so it should work for me.

 

YuGyeom gathers up all his courage and carefully, casually, wraps an arm around Kunpimook’s slender shoulders. He loves the way Kunpimook fits perfectly against him, like this was planned from the beginning of creation. Kunpimook smiles, looking up at YuGyeom with his eyebrows raised in anticipation. YuGyeom smirks—holy crap, when did I learn how to smirk?—and plays with Kunpimook’s hair.

 

Kunpimook sighs, content with the current situation. Having YuGyeom reciprocate the light, fluffy feelings bubbling inside Kunpimook’s chest makes him feel like he’s flying, like nothing can stop him. As much as Kunpimook wants to lean up and plant a kiss on YuGyeom’s lips right now, he waits. He isn’t going to ruin is plan simply because he has no self-control. YuGyeom needs to break first, and Kunpimook has a feeling the younger boy is almost there.

 

“Hey, Kun,” YuGyeom manages, his voice coming out airy to avoid having his voice crack from nerves again. Kunpimook looks at YuGyeom, waiting. YuGyeom tilts his head down, closing his eyes and—I really can’t believe I’m about to do this—presses his lips gently, ever so gently, on Kunpimook’s forehead. YuGyeom thinks he must be crazy because he doesn’t stop there; when he pulls away and sees Kunpimook’s sparkly eyes he does it again. God, I have no idea where this confidence came from.

 

“YuGyeom…” Kunpimook exhales, suddenly becoming aware of the breath he didn’t know he was holding. YuGyeom smiles, his eyes forming those little crescents that Kunpimook loves to look at.

 

“Hey Kun, I think maybe we should date?” YuGyeom doesn’t mean to sound unsure, but it seems as though his instinctive, confident side is fleeing. Kunpimook pouts.

 

“Maybe?”

 

“N-no, not maybe! We should definitely date! Definitely! I mean, if that’s okay with you. Do you wanna date? Me, I mean, do you wanna date me?” YuGyeom’s blush returns tenfold, his normal, shy nature taking over once more. Kunpimook’s heart flutters.

 

“Of course I want to date you~” Kunpimook grins, sliding up so he can kiss YuGyeom’s nose. YuGyeom’s face is so red that he’s afraid he’ll go dizzy from the abnormal blood flow. Kunpimook giggles, pressing cute, chaste kisses all across YuGyeom’s face, thrilled by how flustered they make him. Plan successful, Kunpimook thinks as he finally brushes his lips against YuGyeom’s, causing the innocent younger boy to cover his face with his hands.

 

They say daisies are the flower of innocence, or at least that’s what Kunpimook read on the poster at the flower shop next to his apartment. He thinks that’s why he likes them; daisies are simple, cute and innocent, just like YuGyeom. Kunpimook leans across YuGyeom—who promptly begins to freak out—to pull the daisies from his backpack.

 

“Hey, YuGyeom, stay still.” Kunpimook takes the daisies, and one by one he begins to stick them behind YuGyeom’s ears, tie them in his hair and just lay them next to him.

 

“What are you doing?”

 

“Making you my flower boy~”

 

“Kuuuuuuun~ You’re weird…” YuGyeom whines, covering his face again. Kunpimook giggles. Yeah. Daisies suit YuGyeom well.