Trying To Be Normal

Pyromaniac

Kai's P.O.V

  I stared in wonder at the gate in front of me. It was big and intricately designed just to make me feel small. Or so I told myself. Shaking my head at the stupid thought, I shifted the strap of my backpack, and walked into the school grounds.

  Suddenly I was surrounded by people of all kinds. Girls, boys, jocks, cheerleaders, nerds, normal students, and more. The only reason I actually knew how to name them like this was because of the stories I read. Counselor Kim told me it was a good way to keep myself in check, by busying my mind. That way I wasn't so bored all the time. In reality, I actually really like reading. Any kind of story, fantasy or real, always put my mind to work. 

  Most would think I was weird for having a like of books. Just because I'm a boy, apparently I'm not supposed to like reading. I think they're just weird for not liking reading or having and open mind. 

  Sighing to myself, I kept my head down and walked through the crowd of students, trying to make myself look like a normal student. For me, I was never one to like attention. I just hoped no one would notice I was new until I at least got to the classroom. That way they wouldn't ask so many questions without a teacher there to stop them.

  I know, I sound kinda like I'm scared of other people, and I kind of am. I mean, I don't hate people, no. I just find it hard to talk to them. Hey, most people would if they'd been forced to stay away from people for practically their entire childhood. Yup, that's my life. My parents housed me away because of my...problem. They didn't think it was right for me to go to a normal school or associate myself with other people. I thought that as well until I met Mr. Kim.

  He's a really nice man, though I thought he was a woman at first. I mean, what kind of man has those kinds of looks and cannot be mistaken for girl? It really gets on his nerves when others mistake him for another gender, but he's gotten quite used to it. Or so he tells me. I have a weird problem with trusting people, but Mr. Kim just tells me it's because I don't trust myself. Which I don't, and I hate the fact that I can't.

  Ever since the 'big fire', I've never been able to trust myself with anything that deals with other people. If I'm doing something important I'll doubt doubt myself, if someone's life is on the line and I have to help I wouldn't know what to do, and God if something happened to anyone I knew it would kill me and I'd blame myself. 

  Mr. Kim has been helping me with this though. He says he knows how I work. Which, again, I seriously doubt because you can't just know a person like that. Unless you're Gandelf...or God, but that's it. Maybe some others too though.

  Pushing more thoughts out of my head again, I heard the bell ring, signaling that classes were starting again. Quickly walking towards the principal's office I hoped I wouldn't get in trouble. I could just say that I had gotten here late because-because, I'd have to think of something to tell them. Sighing and shaking my head, I fixed the strap to my backpack again before turning the corner into a now empty hallway. Was this school big? Judging from the way it looked from the outside, then I'd say yes, but you never know. Never judge a book by it's cover as they say.

  Coming upon a door with gold lettering on the front I realized I had made it to the principal's office. I blinked before gulping and looking down at the floor. To say I was nervous was an understatement, a very big understatement. Shaking my head and letting out a shaky breath, I tilted my head up and pushed the door open.

  As I looked into the room I realized it was empty. Walking in quietly and shutting the door behind me I looked around. Where was the principal? There had to be at least one person here, right? Tugging on my backpack strap again, which surely was becoming a bad habit, I walked towards the big desk by the large window. Gold light poured out onto the shiny surface and bounced off simple objects like picture frames and the name name plate on the front of the desk. I didn't pay attention to the words on it though and looked around.

  Bookshelves lined the left wall, filled with large volumes of books I didn't know. On the right side of me, was a small table. Sitting on top of it was a bust and a vase of flowers. They looked fresh, brand new, and adding as much color as they could to the room. Walking over to the the vase I pulled my hand away from my backpack strap and reached out towards one of the yellow-orange flowers.

  Suddenly an image overtook my thoughts, a field of flowers ablaze with red-orange flames that the night sky. It ran through the field, engulfing everything in it's path, before enveloping the forest surrounding the field. Everything was on fire. 

  Quickly pulling my hand back I shook my head and closed my eyes. As I backed up, I could here the door open and, turning to face it my eyes widened. Was it the principal? What if I'm not supposed to be here?

  Next thing I knew, I was tripping over my own feet and fell onto the floor. Groaning and positioning myself on my elbow, I noticed a shadow behind me and tilted my head to see who it was. Suddenly I was face-to-face with...Mr.Kim?

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First chapter. ^^; I hope you liked it! OTL T^T First time writing so I hope I did it right~ o u o Bye!