Getting Sick

Lovesick

The first time trapped him into a whirl of curiosity and longing.

It was one of those fateful days that people only joke about in stories. Cliche, but it happens in real life in such a laughable probability.

'Hyung!!!' The cafeteria was disturb by an obnoxious shout coming from the school's resident derp, sophomore Park Chanyeol. Obviously, he was trying to call out to Kim Junmyeon who was busy talking with his schoolmates of the same year. He shouted once again with more volume and succeeded when his senior looked at him. Junmyeon bowed slightly with the people he's having a conversation with then approached his tall junior.

'Yes, Chanyeol-ah? Do you need something?' Quickly, Chanyeol draped his arms around the smaller male.

'Hyung...' He needs something. 'There's a new item in the menu that I really want to try out!'

It's coming.

'But... I don't have the money for it! They're going to sell it today and I just found out now... If I just knew--'

'Arasseo... Arasseo. I'll treat you.' Junmyeon gave a small laugh while Chanyeol was happily dragging him towards the line. His junior kept expressing sincere gratitude and promising that he'll do the paying next time. Junmyeon didn't really mind. It was enough for the senior to see Chanyeol happy. Of course, he's the hyung and he have to take care of the younger ones.

Both were chattering about whimsical things, with Chanyeol telling him his misadventures with Baekhyun and Jongdae. The trio were know to be infamous pranksters of the school and they can be quite the riot when they're together.  How he wished that those three would slow down with their antics.  But he knew that hoping for that is like asking for a miracle.

That was when his shoulder collided with another one. Good thing it wasn't forceful or the other one could have dropped his tray of food.

Being the respectful student that he is, Junmyeon quickly apologized to that person. What bothered him was that the student he bumped with didn't look up but simply nodded and went his way.

'... Who was that?'

Chanyeol paused momentarily from his speech of Baekhyun's mishap in class and noticed the person his senior was looking at.

'Oh, him? That's Do Kyungsoo. He just transferred in our class yesterday. Doesn't really talk much. Now where was I? Oh! Baekhyun got detention because he tried to pull a joke on me. But with me being the better one, I made sure that the joke's on him!' With that, Chanyeol released his roaring laugh and moved on with another topic, this time with Jongdae and his wallet.

But all of those words passed through his ears without processing them.

Do Kyungsoo.

His name rang into his mind. It was nonetheless intruding but he didn't mind. It actually piqued his interest.

Would it be too much of a miracle to know more about him?

----

The books were the witnesses to their second meeting.

In the usual school setting, the library is rarely visited by the students with the exception of the studious ones apparently. Such studious ones were Junmyeon and the person he'd been thinking about over the past few days.

This was the first that he was distracted thoroughly. The lessons were not enough to pull him back to reality. What does Do Kyungsoo hadio that his mind refused to let go of him?

To compensate for his lack of activity in the classroom, he devoted study time in the library to prepare the lessons coming up ahead. Going to the shelves, he looked for some books on Korean Literature since it was one of his weaker subjects. Well, but the truth is Junmyeon is a smart student. His grades were never bad.

But maybe it would be now because his attention was on to something else. Or rather, someone else.

And he won't let that happen. Concentration, that was all he need. A break from the loop of imagination that his mind keeps reeling in. Kim Junmyeon had something to protect after all... It's his reputation. The whole student body have high respects for him since he's hardworking, kind and rich. He's not the arrogant nor ignorant person one would turn out to be when regarded with such traits.

After choosing a thick book on olden Korean myths, he walked slowly back to his seat near the window and start his study session. Upon looking up, his gaze was captured by the student who just entered the library. It was him.

Flustered, he hurriedly took his seat then observed Kyungsoo from afar. The book was long forgotten in his desk.

Junmyeon promised himself that he'll only observe him for a few minutes but it turned out to be the whole time both of them were in the library. This was the perfect time for him to take all the small details that makes up the man of his mind.

Kyungsoo was rather... average. Though having quite the narrow shoulders and big round eyes, there was nothing special about him. There was nothing at all.

The way he walked was normal. The way he moved was normal. The way he looked at things was-- Wait.

There was something with the way his sight lingered on the shelves that made Junmyeon stare at him for a longer period of time. His eyes lacked the light but it somehow made him much more interesting than he was ever before.

Perhaps it was the impassiveness of his eyes that captivated it. It dragged him into the mystery of what could be the reason for such look. What's the back story of such magnificent eyes, he wondered.

To satisfy his curiosity, Junmyeon left his seat and went near behind the shelve where Kyungsoo was. The old books were considered his protection from him because he didn't want to get caught of what he's doing. Atleast for now. And it would be scandalous if it was to be discovered that he was now a stalker of the transferee student.

The moment gave him the privilege to take in of what has been offered to him. Kyungsoo was silently browsing through the pages of a book. Junmyeon tried to identify what it was but all he can deduce was that it's a book about self-help or something.

I should give a shot on reading that book. He might need all the self-help he would need from this situation.

There was just something majestic at how the younger male moved his eyes in a steady manner. The way he took in the words, the slight twinkle in his eyes... It made Junmyeon just watch him even more, wishing  that time would stand still for a few moments.

When Kyungsoo made a slight move from his position, he adjusted as well. Every moment was precious at that point and he would never dare to give it up. Being too caught up with it, Kyungsoo moved his head towards where the older student was.

Both of them were staring intently at each other, not uttering a single word.

Junmyeon gulped. Kyungsoo was deadpan. When the former tried to move, never did he realize that too much staring at this man while trying to walk away stealthily would cause him trouble with the librarian.

The books in the cart fell down on the floor with a loud thud when he collided with it. Quickly, the person-in-charge of the library went to the crime scene and immediately reprimanded him of his action. Apologizing hastily, Junmyeon picked up the books and stacked them back neatly. After finishing, he stood up and looked around if the object of his observation was still there. Of course he was embarrassed of what happened but why did his mind tell him to still look at him after that incident.

Disappointed greeted him as Do Kyungsoo was nowhere to be found in the vicinity. Sighing, he went back to his seat and wondered where could he had been. But no matter how hard he thought of it, there was no clear answer. Instead, what clouded his mind throughout his whole stay in the library was another question.

What would it feel like if I got the chance to stare at his eyes for the second time? What would it take?

-----

Third time's a charm and it made him think of what fate was trying to do him.

Kim Junmyeon was staring longingly outside the window, sighing deeply. His best friend, Kim Minseok, rolled his eyes at the drama situation he was in right now. Not that he's not enjoying it.

'Honestly, Junmyeon. Nothing's going to happen if you stay there imagining things on your own.'

Such is a leisure that he only has because the object of his fantasy is too far from his reach.

'I can't help it, Minseok-ah. I have a crush on him.'

'Crush? Dude, believe me. It's not a crush anymore.'

Perhaps he is right. Maybe he loves that person already. Oh how amazed he was with how things can speed up instantly without him knowing. It's truly a mystery that no one really knows how to solve.

Be Rational, Junmyeon. Be rational. Falling in love so easily was never in his mindset. But truth is, he had never experienced this before so who was he to judge if his feelings for him were accurate?

It was a week after the unfortunate incident with him and ever since, never did he had the chance to see him again. Was Kyungsoo creeped out of him? But that was unlikely... wasn't it?

His imagination went wild on the possible scenarios that might come up the next time he meet. Junmyeon never need this now. As a promising graduate of his school, he should be focusing on his studies and other school activities... Not some guy that's been distracted by a person.

A person who managed to make him fall for him and be a homoual.

Augh. What is this.

Minseok, on the other hand, was having a blast while watching the little show his companion was giving. If this what love can do to his friend, he's much more excited to see the next episodes of this love escapade between them.

A knock on their classroom door interrupted them. It was from their homeroom teacher, Im Yoona.

'Junmyeon-ah~' The tall female chirped happily. 'Come with me to the teacher's lounge now.'

She pouted when no response was given to her.

Junmyeon daydreaming was such a new sight.

Yoona called out once again. 'Jun-myeon-ah~'

No. Nothing at all.

That's when Minseok decided to do something.

'Damn it, you love struck man! Get a grip because our teacher needs you and you're there in your seat imagining such senseless things! Get your up to her or I'll effin throw you to the lounge!'

With the sudden outburst, Junmyeon fell down clumsily from his chair. To save face, he quickly stood up and bowed to the teacher.

The teacher was definitely impressed with how Minseok commanded him. The boy was usually quiet and observant in one corner but he turned into completely someone else when there's a need for it.

Not entirely a bad thing. It get some deeds done.

Junmyeon was walking side by side with Yoona. They were having a small chatter about the school and studying on their way to the lounge. He opened the door for her out of courtesy and let her in first. When he followed inside, his heart skipped a beat when Kyungsoo was standing by the table of another familiar teacher.

'Sooyoungie~ I brought the person you need!' Yoona went to where the other teacher, Choi Sooyoung, was sitting. The latter clapped happily upon seeing Junmyeon by the door. Bowing once again, he walked hesitantly to where the three was gathered.

W-What am I supposed to do? He was getting too nervous. His nerves were even jumpier when Kyungsoo was watching him.

There were no books to provide as barrier between them. This was the first time he got close to him. As a front, he gave a small smile but inside, everything's jumbled and out of order.

Junmyeon stood still next to him and politely asked Sooyoung of the request.

'Ah. Junmyeonnie. I need help with him. Kyunsoo-ah is just transferred not too long ago and I want him to get used to our school. And I know that the best man for the job will be you, our lovable student! I can't trust his classmates because they're all too mischievous for him'

Kyungsoo sighed softly and whispered inaudibly, I really don't need this. But it was faint to everyone else's ears.

Scratching the back of his head, Junmyeon gave a nervous laugh and promised to do his best to help Kyungsoo out. He have no idea how he would do it but all he knew was that this was a chance he can never let go.

They faced each other and Kyungsoo introduced himself.

'Good day, sunbae. I'm Do Kyungsoo. It's nice to meet you.'


Kim Junmyeon was rather unsure of what coincidence or fate really was but he felt that something's going to change in his life sooner or later now that they've officially met.

I think I've contracted a disease. That disease is you.