Chapter 1

THE SCRIPT (EL GUIÓN)

 

The day of my birthday number 18, a special day, not because I was preparing a great party, waiting for lot of gifts or congratulations but, because it was the moment that I would have to integrate to the society and interpret the role that I had been assigned comply inside it.

The path to my future consisted of a long and gloomy sparsely lit corridor; at every step I could feel the irregular of the cement hurting my feet. I was not alone in this place; others like me also were waiting the moment to be released with the script inserted into the mind.

Little by little each of us was passing and, when my turn was closer, the anxiety was taking control of me. It was a small step to freedom, after spending a life chained to a capsule that fed my brain with memories and emotions that were not mine.

What happened to me wasn´t normal and I knew it. The CRIPTERS, as we were called, shouldn´t question our destiny already written. A part of my brain told me that a creature as me only had to focus to live what was allowed, but the other part was encouraging and feeding my curiosity desire -121290 you are the next- the voice of the woman with white coat woke me up from my thoughts.

I followed her inside of the laboratory, full of wires and unknown machines. The woman pointed out to me the stretcher that was in the middle of the room, in which I leaned feeling how the cold metal rubbed my skin -Close your eyes and let the information flow through your brain, it´ll be like a beautiful dream, just think in a river- she told me with a friendly voice, she was trying to mitigate the fear and pain that this procedure might cause me. Another person gave her the signal that everything was ready; she took the huge syringe filled with a thick liquid, which contained my destination. I just hold my breath and closed my eyes.

Soon I found myself plunged into a deep sleep, the images of my future life began to appear and be inserted in my empty mind -Pum-, was the sound that woke me up, just to show me a boy some ages older than me. He had blonde hair and was wearing a cross earring in his left ear, jeans and a simple black T-shirt that showed the symbols in his body. He was pointing with his gun straight at my head –Said your last words red eyes.-

JI YONG´s POV

This was our third large-scale assault to The Great Society´s laboratories, and we knew that the damage would be greater than in the past since, according to the information of our spy today would be the insertion procedure to 200 Cripters.

-GD, we need to find the Insertion room-told me my partner and second in command Seunghyun, meanwhile ran through the laboratory´s halls.-Care! - I only felt a dagger rub my ear; behind me a guard was lying dead.  At that time I was happy to have TOP to my side, if there is someone whom I could entrust my life was him, “Today for me, tomorrow for you” I thought.

-Thanks TOP, are already several times that I owe you my life- Seung smiled trying to calm his breath. I would like to thank him in some way, but in that moment our priority should be to end our mission successfully- Do you know? You are right, we need to find the right way-We had memorized the laboratory´s plans, but the practice was more difficult than theory. I stopped, observing around to find a safe place where we could be able to think in a new strategy.-Look, let us here and check the plans again-We entered to a small winery of cleaning, extended the plans in a little table and began to analyze them.

-Look, we are here- He pointed with his gun-We have to go to the next level, there is the area of capsules and insertion, but…- He stopped his words and a worry grimace invaded his face.

-But, is the safest area in this place and we are only two-I complete his sentence, trying to keep a confident and calm tone of voice that reached to my partner and brother. At the beginning our team was formed by ten people, however the security had been greater and we had to separate in small teams to advance. “How are my other friends? Are still alive?” were the questions that flooded and tormented me. –I doubt that Taeyang or D- Lite can help us. We should advance alone, if we wait longer, they´ll send to The Specials- I lower my head and bite my lower lip, trying to hide the worry in my eyes “This turned in a suicide mission”.

TOP nodded with parsimony, I knew that he was thinking the same, but his fears were hidden behind that penetrating gaze, that in previous situations had frightened more than one- Well, What are we waiting?- He charged his gun and we counted the daggers, ammunitions and bombs in our arsenal- I think we have enough. Keep the bombs for our target-I nodded.

We quietly left the small room, checking that both sides were free of guards,-All seems very quiet, we need to take advantage- I said and we run towards the stairs that would lead us to the next level; however, when we arrived the scenery was totally different- You need to cover my back- I said.

I was faster than TOP and expert in combat body to body, wasn´t difficult for me to beat the 5 guards who were protecting the entry door. Once the adrenaline and excitement were overtaking my body, was impossible to stop me; and in the other hand I had the best sniper covering my back which made it even easier.

TOP kicked the door and wrecked it, we saw at least 20 guards protecting the long hallway that led to our destination. We look each other with a smile full of joy and excitement, -For the humanity- we said together and soon we were surrounded and attacked. I was maneuvering between the blows, kicks and the handling of my weapon. - I already beat 5 – TOP said me panting, - I´ll win you-

There was no fear of death, we had spent our life training and escaping from The Great Society, trying to recover the world where we could decide how to live and what to feel; the world where families not prefer to have a Cripter son and  where the Red Eyes (as I called them) weren´t ending with humans.

-I think we finished with all guards- I said trying to hold my breath.

-Ji Yong, Care! -  Was the only thing I heard to then find me with my brother as a shield being stabbed by a guard - You have to leave, are coming more- he told me calmed and trying to suppress the pain that was starting to invade his body, all was so fast that I couldn´t react until the moment that  I was holding his body in my arms.

- What are you talking about? I´m not going to leave you! - I said almost crying, this shouldn´t happen, everything would be easy and nobody had to die- C´mon hold me and walk together, I´ll be your support- TOP didn´t react and kept smiling, I could feel his body became cold by the loss of blood.

-Silly Yongie, how many times I have to save your life- A tear began to slide through his cheek and a thread of blood came out of his mouth- go and finish the work, don´t let that everything has been in vain- I shook my head, this was the second time in my life that I felt lost. I knew what I had to do but I couldn´t left my brother die. I clenched my hands with force without realize that my nails were burying in my palms making them bleed. The physical pain was nothing compared to the pain inside my heart.

I was still holding Seung on the floor, trying to stop the bleeding from the wound and keeping his cold body warmth. Suddenly I began to hear noises of steps in the stairs. I couldn´t escape, I would die in that place with Seunghyun-Don´t break our promise, one of us have to finish this. We see you again, maybe not in this life but in the next- with his last strength he took off the necklace that had been his amulet all this years and gave it to me. 

I had to left him, but was really difficult for me, I hugged him tightly and kissed his forehead, my vision was blurred due to the tears that had begun to fall –I love you Seung, I promise that I won't disappoint you – I left his body lying on the floor and ran without look behind -PUM - the sound of a bomb was my last memorie after to fall on the floor and cried with the necklace in my heart. Until the last moment Seung saved my life.