To the one-and-only iVanilla..

A Bitter Day

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qh9tLy_67t4

[ A/N : Writing in first person ]

---

"A bitter day, everything will erase this way
Someday it will all be forgotten
I will probably smile when the time comes, but for now I can’t do anything about i
t"

A tear dripped from my eyes, one drop by one drop..

***

Like how every Monday afternoon used to be, I got ready for the after-school shopping with Chunji as that is like out weekly routine. I flung my bag onto my shoulder as my hair blew in the wind. I placed my hand in my warm pocket and walked briskly towards him. 

"Chunji!" I pinched his cheeks. "Kaja?"

"Mianhaeyo, I've got a project to finish by today," he pouted.

"Arasso, kwenchana, hwaiting!" I turned my back and strolled to the canteen, hiding my disappointment. I dropped my jaws when I saw a banner there that reads :

사랑해요, 은미 ♥ 
Saranghaeyo, Eunmi ♥

I was.. touched - for once. This guy had tried many methods to melt my heart, he did not give me up after so many rejections. I browsed around looking out for him, but to no avail. "Byunghun?" I muttered lightly under my breath.

Just then, a voice echoed beside my ear, "I heard that,". He smiled with achievement as he grabbed my wrist, pulling me along with him.

If it was the previous 'me', I would have struggled to death, but now, my heart softened and I just went along with him. "Odiso?" 

"Follow and you'll know," he winked playfully. 

He brought me to a vast patch of grass and finally let go of me. "Chulbal!" he shouted. I looked at him with a confused expression, tilting my head to one side. After a while, nothing happened and I was just ready to step back and return home. I got annoyed as I folded my arms and turned to walk away. I'm never going to get trick by him - ever again.

A sound from the sky penetrated through the silence of the deserted piece of land. "Watch this," I turned to look at him who was looking at the pale blue sky. I lifted my head up and look at the wonderful 'art piece' that was made.

"Jeongmal?" 

The flying aircrafts repeatedly wrote in the sky the words that were meant to be said through his mouth. 

"Ne.. Will you be my girlfriend?"

My eyes brimmed with tears receiving the warm love from him. Warmth gush through my heart and what I could only think of is the answer to his question - Ne.. I knew the answer, but I was just.. speechless by his persistence to win my heart.

"I know you'll find it hard to say, so I've prepared this," he said as he took out a matching couple keychain from his pocket and held it up. "If your answer is yes, take one of this. If not..-"

I hesitantly removed one of the keychain from his hand and whispered a soft, "Gomawo.." I smiled with mischief as I continued, "But, catch me first!" I ran through the natural environment, slowing down my pace after every step I move. Breathing heavily, I stopped in m tracks, bending forward with my hands over my knees.

"Gotcha!" he caught me, slipping his hand on my waist.

"Yah!" I pulled his hands away from me, walking away.

"Bwoh?" he said tracing behind me. "Not enough sincerity?"

I turned away, smiling behind his back, sweet guy. I continued my 'act' as I turned to him and started being cold toward him. "Ne, you think I'm so easily to be pleased? Just aircrafts flying around isn't enough," I pretended to walk away.

"Ahn EunMi, saranghaeyo!" repeatedly, he shouted to the vacant land. 

"Chincha, there's nobody here to witness! Andwae," I held up the keychain, pretending to return it to him.

"Fine, this can only be my last resort, the visual prove of my love," he smirked as he took out a folded piece of paper out from his pocket. The words written on it could only make me love him more and give him my fullest trust.

I, Lee Byunghun,

promise to never leave Ahn EunMi,

Whether in sickness or in health,

in or provety wealth..

We'll be the happiest couple on earth,

I'll be here for you,

in rain or shine..

Saranghaeyo..

"Hajima," I smiled shyly as I snatched the paper away from him. "Don't ever break this vow or else.." 

"Ne," he playfully held onto my hand and we sat on the grass patch as I slowly lowered my head onto his shoulder, enjoying the night view. "Ahh.." he suddenly grimaced in pain, holding his hand in his hands.

"Kwenchanayo?" I said with a sense of worriedness as I carressed his face.

"Aniya.." I smiled weakly at me, as if he was keeping something from me - something very serious that I am yet to know.

***

"Why didn't I realise it earlier?" I muttered to myself - repeatedly, again and again. It's only been 1 week since we got together. "Why is this happening?" I asked myself..

The moment when I can be with you freely, you just have to leave? 

"I started to miss you, who I used to just hate
Because I was so pathetic in my past days..

When I didn’t even have the strength to hold on to you.."

"I was pathetic, I was dumb,"

***

"MinSoo, EunMi, during this period when we're in America for the vacation, must be good ne?" my mother looked at us with her warm smile. "MinSoo, take care of your sister ne? EunMi, listen to your oppa ne?" 

"Ne, don't worry umma, appa," I replied them.

At last, I've freedom! After we bade farewell, I waited for his call. He said he would call me.. I started to get troubled about it. My heart wasn't at ease, and my insticts tell me something wasn't right..

As I returned to school the next day, I was just ready to go and find him when I was called in by the principal.

"Ahn EunMi, please see me," it was annouced through the speaker all over the school as I slowly stepped out of my seat and drifted to the principal's office.

I stood outside with mixed feeling, what exactly happened? Soon, I was called in as I shuffled into the office. "Anyeonghasaeyo, nanun EunMi-Imnida.."

She scanned me from head to toe, she did not look like the fierce principal anymore but a person that seemed to have a quite a major setback recently. "Byunghun asked me to pass this to you - before he left,"

Blinking confusely, I replied, "Mworago? He left? Wh-What do you mean?"

"Read the letter and you'll know," he replied, passing me the letter.

***

I sat on the empty bench at the bus stop. The weather was good, but not me. Everything seemed plain colourless. 

On the bus, the words from the letter just kept on chanting in my mind..

"I'm sorry I broke the vow, but I just have to leave. I'm sorry I didn't tell you about the tumour in my head. You were beautiful, but watching you wither away next to me, how do you think that would make me feel? I shouldn’t have started at all, I shouldn’t have looked into your eyes the first time I met you. I'm sorry to have made you suffer through this. You will be able to receive even a better love compared to the one you received from me, you are still beautiful. Erase and forget me.. I have to leave the world now.. Goodbye.."

I could not concentrate, I could not think.. I'm lost.. How do I walk the remaining path without him?

"Nothing is working out for me and because I missed the stop I was supposed to be off
I am suddenly reminded by the thoughts of you
The beaten up bus stop I got off looked even lonelier today

So the tears just started to fall down
And like that I kept on walking for a long time"

"Miss, Miss, you have to get off now, we've reached the interchange," the bus driver shooked me awake from my thoughts.

I looked up with my teary eyes, and stood up, bowing and muttering a soft, "Kamsahamnida," and dragged my feet at each step I walk. I was reminded by him once again. Everything was colourless, lonely..

Tears continued to fall, but soon it all dried up. I have no more tears to cry, and like that, I kept walking, on and on the streets, dazed. 

"Eh, EunMi-ah!" I heard my voice being called, but I have no stregth to turn, or you can say, no mood.

Someone grabbed my wrist and stopped me in my tracks. "EunMi-ah," MinSoo said walking in front of me. I looked at the floor, not lifting my head.  He slowly lifted my head to face him, revealing the pair of swollen eyes.

"Kwenchana.. Hyung's here," he hugged me in his warm embrace, patting my back, and consoling me. "You still have me, Oppa will never leave you in the lurch, what happened?"

"Aniya," I said rubbing off the tears. My heart still as deeply cut as ever.

"Tell oppa, or else I'll call appa, umma," he pouted.

"Andwae! Arasso, I-I'll tell you.."

We stopped by at HeartsCafé and ordered to cups of hot chocolate. After a sip of it, I started to relate the incident to him. Talking about it, tears started dripping down again.

"Kwenchana, kwenchana," he said, holding my hands between his, comfortingly replied, "Time is the cure."

"Oppa, can i just have some time alone? Just by myself, thinking through.. So don't follow me arasso? I'll be back home as soon as I calmed down, don't worry about me," I asked pleadingly.

"Ahh, Ne.. But promise me, be careful.. and don't do anything silly, arasso?"

I nodded and walked out after I've finished the warm cup of hot chocolate. I just walked along the streets thinking how pathtic I was.. I kept on drawing back the past and erasing it.

Stares from the people walking past even shows sympathy for me. But yet it's so unfair.. Why must he leave me?!? 

I stopped at the empty bench in the park, looking at all the happy couples having fun, bonding together. But what do I have..?

The lovely couple in front of me, the boyfriend wiping off the dirty ice-cream stain on his yeochin's cheek. 

I sat there enviously, even the hot sun seemed like it was mocking me. I could only stare at the floor, looking at it blindly.

Just then, someone held a tissue in front of me. Not thinking much, I spoke, "Oppa, I said I'm alright, you don't have to follow me.." I looked up to face him which was actually not him..

"Chunji? H-How did you kn-"

"Your oppa told me," he replied sitting down next to me.

I turned away, folding my arms, "Can you please leave me alone today? I really need some time by myself.."

"Arasso, after I say finish this.." he said. "I like you,"

I opened my eyes wide as tears brimmed in my eyes. It reminded me of the incident with ByungHun. I could not forget him.. Erasing him is something hard even though we've only spend a week with each other. The memories he gave me was just too memorable..

"Mworago? Mianhaeyo.. I'm not ready for another relationship yet.." I said hesitantly. I did not want to break my best friend's heart but I was just.. Too lost.. I decided to walk away first before I say any further that will cut him deeper.

"Chebal, give me one chance? Time is the cure, then at that time, you'll probably smile," he held onto my wrist, not letting me go.

I could not take it anymore.. Until I finally blurted everything out - what was deeply kept in my heart.

"Andwae! Everybody says time is the cure, but who understands me? Who understands how depressed I am? Huh?" I questioned him. "He said we'll remain forever, be the happiest couple on earth, but in the end we're still the same as others - separated. Yes, I agree, that day, I'll smile and forget all that's happened today. But for now, I can't do anything, I can't, I'm sorry, choesong hamnida.."

"I'll wait for that day.." he said softly, reluctantly letting go.

I ran away crying, finally all the words that are buried deep in me is finally out. 

"Chunji-ah, Jeongmal Mianhae.."

"A bitter day, everything will erase this way
Someday it will all be forgotten
That day will come"