Chapter 9

Forgotten, Bruised, and Battered (Discontinued)

As soon as the lunch bell rang, I rushed out of my classroom and towards the cafeteria. However, I didn’t make it there as Daniel had pulled me into another classroom and told me to sit down.

“Daniel, seriously, you should stop ambushing people like this! I was right behind Changhyun, and now he might be wondering where I am!”

Daniel clucked his tounge. “Sorry. But seriously, this is how you treat your boyfriend?”

I scoffed. “You don’t even know me.”

“I don’t. Which is why I’m determined to get all my memories back.”

I looked at him. “It’s gonna take a long time, Daniel. And I’m not sure if that’s really possible. Even if you do get all your memories back, it would still feel weird. Having a boyfriend that lost all his memories of me once.”

“Did I say I want to become your boyfriend after I remember everything?”

“AHN DANIEL THAT HURTS IDIOT.”

He chuckled. “I’m sorry. But you’re correct. It’ll take a long time..”

I fought to keep my tears in my sockets. “See what I mean? We should just forget it and start anew.”

Daniel frowned. “No. I lost a significant amount of memories and I want it back. I want to know you. I don’t want to start all over again, I want my childhood back.”

I sighed. I didn’t know what to feel. Happy, that he’s determined to remember everything about me, or dissapointed that he doesn’t want to start anew.

“Jihyun, please. Help me. Losing 9 years of friendship with you sounds very disturbing.”

I sighed again. “I’ll try.”

“YES!”, Daniel exclaimed, pumping his fist in the air.

“But I can’t assure you that you’ll get everything back.”

He nodded. “So what are you going to do?”

“I’m gonna take you out to some places?”

He looked at me like I had grown two heads. I shrugged. “I’ve never helped anyone with amnesia, okay? Don’t look at me like that. I’m just a 16-year-old who has gone through a lot of stuff.” He shrugged as well.

“Why don’t we go  have lunch now?”

An idea popped into my head when he said lunch. “Daniel, you wanna ditch? Just for one hour, that’s it.”

“Ditch lunch? No way! I want to eat.”, he complained, crossing his arms over his chest. I hit his arm. “Not that, silly. Ditch school. We go eat outside.”

Daniel’s eyes brightened. “Japanese food?”

I smiled and nodded. “Japanese food it is.”

= = = = = = = =

“Daniel.”

“Hm?”, Daniel hummed, lifting his head up. He was biting a piece of chicken katsu in half, chopsticks still holding the leftover piece. I giggled to myself. “You never ate this when we were young.”

“Really?!”

I nodded. “You always picked something with soup. Never the fried ones.”

Daniel nodded. “I think I remember something like that. My mother always bought me miso soup and rice and that’s it. And sometimes udon or ramen too.”

I nodded again and stuffed some rice in my mouth.

= = = = = = = =

Daniel and I quickly jumped over the gates and ran into the school building. We were late to Art class by five minutes, but that was enought to give us a one-hour detention after school. I bowed and ran to a seat next to Byunghun, while Daniel ran to the other side of the classroom.

“Detention? Detention?! You never got detention! Ever!”, Byunghun hissed, poking my arm with a pen. “Why were you late?”

I shrugged. “Ditched lunch. My phone’s clock is messed up so I came late.”

“Yeah, and you went with Niel. Why didn’t you take us, too?”, Byunghun questioned. I pouted. “You’re becoming like Minsoo oppa.” He nudged me. “You haven’t answered me yet.”

“’Niel’, like you call him, wants me to help him remember about moi, me and myself. Happy?”

Byunghun shook his head. “If he wants that, he should’ve asked our help. Minsoo hyung, Chanhee hyung and I am a part of this too, you know.”

“None of you were my ex-boyfriends.”

“We still know about it, though.”

“Now shush, before Ms. Kim notices us.”

“Oh, but she already has. She’s written it on the board.”

I looked up at the board and found two lines of her writing that said:

Bang Jihyun additional one hour detention

Lee Byunghun one hour detention

I groaned to myself and looked at Byunghun. He was smiling, and he suddenly hugged me.

“LEE BYUNGHUN ADDITIONAL ONE HOUR DETENTION FOR PUBLIC DISPLAY OF AFFECTION.”