I

Flowers

Nimble hands carefully arranged the freshly cut flowers in the vase. The sound of scissors cutting and water flowing filled the small room. Fragrant aroma of flowers lingered on the air as Lay continued to arrange flowers on different vases.

"These peonies would look good on the coffee tables. Especially the dark red ones." He said as he added more peonies to the vase he was working on.

After arranging all of the vases, he started bringing the vases to the tables inside the host club’s café. He brought one vase filled with the said peonies to the bar, where he asked for his daily coffee fix from Xiumin, the barista. “Your coffee always makes me feel better, Minseok-hyung.” Lay said as he smiled and cherished the taste of the heaven-sent coffee.

“Why? Are you sick Yixing-ah?” A hand touched his forehead, checking his temperature.

“I’m fine Suho-hyung. It’s just the weather getting to me.” Lay said as he chuckled at the worried Suho. Suho was always concerned with the other hosts,but he paid special attention to Lay, because…well he’s Lay. The one who always forgets things, the one who has the messiest room, the one who can’t eat spicy food or else his stomach will act up. Basically, it’s because Lay was handful.

“Alright alright. Just call me if you’re feeling sick okay? I need to go to my favourite dongsaeng.” Suho said as he made his way to a nearby table seating two girls.

                                                                      

Albeit from Lay’s knowledge, there was one particular guest watching him from a far as he talked to Suho at the bar.

"Who are you looking at Jess?" Sarah asked from her long-time friend who's new to the Host Club.

It was Jess’ first time at the Host Club. Although Sarah always asked her if she wanted to go with her, Jess always refused. She always thought of the hosts as playboys who were paid to entertain certain needs of girls of Perrault Academy. ‘Dirty and sick playboys’ were her exact words.

That was until she saw him on the school garden one night.

 

FLASHBACK

He was tending to the sunflowers that started to bloom as he touched them. She stared in awe as he went to every flower in the garden and touched them. As he finished circling the garden, all the flowers were basking under the moonlight, blooming.

“Oh my god.” Jess whispered.

Hearing the comment, he turned around with a shy smile on his face, looking Jess straight in the eye. Surprised, she quickly hid behind one of the pillars of the entrance to garden. She covered with her red handkerchief as to mask her frantic breaths. Her heart thumped as she heard crumpling of the grass, footsteps, towards her. Slowly the footsteps became louder, coming closer to her. She quickly ran towards the nearest building, dropping her handkerchief along the way. The guy picked up the handkerchief, looking at Jess’ back as she ran away.

FLASHBACK END

 

Since that fateful night, Jess asked around from her classmates if they knew the guy, but all she could describe him with was his smile. The shy smile that made her heart flutter and melt at the same time. According to her classmates, a guy like that can only exist in one place and that was Perrault Academy’s Host Club. So she ended up going with Sarah the next day, just to see if that guy was really there.

"Uhmm, no one." Jess said as she looked away blushing.

“Thinking of it, why did you come with me today? Who is it?” Sarah asked, her eyes boring into Jess, begging for answers.

“Nothing, I just wanted to finally know what the hype is all about. All of our classmates were planning on going here.” Jess said, not meeting Sarah’s eyes.

Jess peeked around the room. There wasn’t much guests yet and the hosts were nowhere to be found

"That's Lay, he's the host who makes the flowers around the club every day. He also tends to the garden outside the host club."Suho said as he sat on the chair beside Sarah.

"Oh Oppa! You're here!" exclaimed Sarah while clapping excitedly.

Suho ruffled her hair and kissed her forehead. He pinched her cheeks and laughed at the now  pouting girl.

"I'm here my cute dongsaeng" Suho beamed. His attention then turned to the girl sitting beside Sarah. "Hi, you must be Jess. I’m Junmyeon, but you can call me Suho." He said, showing his million dollar smile

"Hello Suho-ssi." Greeted Jess, blinking, slightly taken aback by his smile

"Just call me Oppa, hmm? Ssi is too awkward" Suho said, chuckling.

Jess' eyes widened at the thought. No male has ever asked her to call him Oppa, even her brothers don’t like her calling them Oppa. 'Is he serious?!!' She thought.

"I'm serious. Call me Suho-oppa, arasso?" He said as he tried to stifle his laughter.

Jess blushed red as the roses around her. “Oppa?” she tried.

“Hmm?” Suho looked at her, his smile almost to his ears. Jess’ blushed even harder at Suho’s look.

Out of the blue, Sarah whispered something to Suho, which made him laugh.

"Jinjja? Alright, I'll call him!" He started to look around, until his eyes landed to one particular host rearranging one of the vases around the cafe.

"Lay!" He shouted.

Jess sinked down the chair at the sound of the name. 'No no no no. Please don't come here.' She prayed, but all was lost when she heard the creak of the chair beside her.

She looked up and saw that the guy she was staring at for the past few minutes was there, sitting beside her.

"Hey, you must be new here right? Haven't seen you around." Lay said to Jess, smiling at her.

'Oh my god. His dimples are so deep!' She thought, staring at him.

"Thanks." Lay said, smiling even harder.

Jess clamped her hands on . She forgot she had this habit of saying her thoughts out loud. It was so embarrassing!

Lay plucked a lily from a nearby vase. "It's okay. Welcome to the Host Club." He said as he gave it Jess.

Jess suddenly stood up, knocking the lily off of Lay's hands. "I have to go!" She exclaimed as she dashed towards the doors of the Host Club.

Everybody remaining on the table was shocked, especially Lay.

"Was it something I said?" He asked.

Sarah looked at Suho and started to giggle. "No, Oppa. Don't worry." She said, patting Lay on the shoulders.

Suho quietly sipped his tea as Sarah started to talk about her day so far. Lay was still looking at the doors, as if waiting for the girl to come back.

'Things are going to be more interesting.' Suho thought as he clutched the red handkerchief in his pocket.