01 - We First Met

Remembering Tomorrow

listen


080412, A Can Of Soda.

Krystal's P.O.V

 

I was tired, hungry, jetlag and all of the above. All I needed was just a can of soda— I am parched, I regretted not stopping by the airport's cafe to grab a drink. I prayed to God that I would not have to walk another block just to find a convenience store. My feet was sore enough just by walking from the airport towards the subway station.

My eyes brightened as I saw the infamous sign of a convenience store. I walked towards the store, it was not even considered walking; I was practically running. I had not realise the figure that opened the door and had bumped onto him, getting myself wet by his can of soda. The tin then rolled over, I gulped— but I was too busy examining his facial features to feel scared.

I did not know what to feel exactly; embarrassed or angry, or both. He looked at me as I stood still, he crouched down and picked up the now empty, can of soda and threw it away. He took a final glance of me before he walked away, I wanted to say sorry and perhaps buy him another can of soda but he walked a bit too fast while I stood still, wet and sticky.

I looked down to my shirt and sighed, Just what I needed.

Nonetheless, I pulled the door open and walked in the store. I headed towards the beverage section and grabbed two cans of soda. I did not know why but I just did and paid for them. The cashier looked at me weirdly, I probably looked funny in his eyes. Nonchalantly, I asked, "Got a phone?"

He nodded his head as he fished out the device from his pocket and passed it to me. I smiled and took it, dialling a number, I placed the telephone near my ear. "Hello?" a voice called.

"Dad?"

"Oh, Soojung-ah," he continued, "Where are you? Have you arrived? Do you want me to pick you up?"

I chuckled, I was not his favourite daughter for nothing alright. I answered, "I am almost there, I would probably be home in another five minutes."

"Whose number are you using right now?"

I looked at the cashier, he looked at me back and I simply stated, "A friend."

"Where are you? I could just pick you up."

"No, it's fine," I replied, "I'll be right there, dad," and hung up. I passed back the phone towards the younger male and walked out of the door. I stood at the bus stand, waiting for the usual bus I rode whenever I visited home. Counting down the minute, I saw the usual green and white bus and gladly hopped on it. I looked into my bag and blinked as I realise I left my purse and can of soda back at the convenience store.

I apologised towards the driver and hopped back off, I dashed towards the convenience store and saw the earlier male drinking a can of soda. I looked at the cashier and he simply smiled as he pulled out the can of soda and my purse. My brows furrowed as I saw only one can getting pulled out, "Where's the other can?"

The latter pointed to the male and replied, "He said you bought it for him— to say sorry for what happened earlier."

I looked at the pointed male and asked, "How are you so sure it was for you and not for anyone else?"

He burped as he threw the can straight into the bin and smiled, "Who else did you bumped into with a can of soda?"

I ignored his low hint of sarcasm and turned my head away. He continued, "You better get home fast, you would not want the shirt get a stain," as he walked out of the store. I crossed my arms, obviously embarrassed and angry at his honest remark with pinch of sarcasm. The cashier handed the can of soda and my purse, placing it on my hand.

I thanked him and asked, "Is he a regular?"

"You could say that, he usually spends the night buying a can of soda and during the day, he'd buy a pack of cigarette."

I nodded my head at the answer and walked out, How am I going to go home now?

My phone was dead, my feet were wobbly and I doubt that I could stand even for a minute. I sighed as I took a peek in my purse, I only had a little to no money and I doubt I'd get a cab this late. I walked back inside the convenience store and looked at the cashier, as if he knew what I needed, he fished out his phone from his pocket and passed it to me.

I dialled a number and asked, "Dad, could you pick me up?"