In The Glass Box

In The Glass Box

There is this boy whom I see everyday. He has dark brown hair like the coffee I see him make in the early morning. When he pulls the blinds from the shop, his hair color becomes a lighter shade of brown like the small amount of cream he adds to it. I heard that he smells like hazelnut which has become my favorite scent. I don't even know what hazelnut is, but whenever he says it, it becomes my favorite word, too.

He stands near the window and he looks like an angel. How the sun's light shines at him, creating a perfect photograph. If only I could take a picture. His lips curl upwards and I can see that smile that I never get tired in seeing every morning. I watch as he walks towards the door and turns the "CLOSED" sign over and unlocks the front door. Soon enough, people walk in.

The laughter of children and the coversations of parents fill the room. I can no longer see him. If only I could move. I wish for a child to hold me in order to look around for him, but I am stuck inside this glass box on the upper shelf where only he can reach. I was somehow always isolated from the other toys here. I was encased and they were free. I am held by only him while they were held by many, and, because of this, I wonder if their hands are as warm as his. If their hands are caring as his. If they would care for me just as he has cared for me.

"Mister, what about that doll up there?" 

I heard a voice from below call out to him and he quickly went over to the customer with an apologetic smile on his face. "Sorry," His deep voice reaches my ears. "That one is reserved at the moment." Reserved by whom? I don't remember anyone mentioning me until now. Who could this person be? I looked at him and he looked back at me with a small smile and then he left.

When it was closing time, I watched him again as he fliped the "OPEN" sign. However, he didn't lock the door this time. He closed the blinds and the light. This night was all different. Was he planning something? I soon felt my surroundings shake and I see his face so close to mine. If only I could blush.

He took me out of the box and began to fix me. He applied make-up on me, redefining my facial features. He fixed my dress and brushed my hair with such delicacy. If only I could fall asleep in his hands. He let out a sigh as if I took his breath away. He smiled as if he finished painting a masterpiece. His eyes left me as if someone else took his attention away.

"Chanyeol!" I heard a woman's voice from the entrance of the shop. Chanyeol placed me back inside the glass box and left.

I watched as he hugged the girl... If only I could run away.

And kissed her cheek... If only I could scream.

And held her hand to lead her to me... If only I could cry.

"This... I saved her for you. I saw how you kept glancing at her and I decided to save her." I watched as his eyes glistened as he looked at me, but it wasn't because of me.

"Wow, she's beautiful!" I watched as she covered and looked at Chanyeol with her rubescent cheeks... If only I could puke.

"I'm glad you like her... Happy 100th day anniversary." I watched as she walked closer to him and how her arms wrapped around his neck and how her full lips pressed onto his. I felt how I was shaking because of his shaking hands and how carelessly I was placed at the corner of the table. I watched and I couldn't look away. I couldn't close my eyes in order to stop seeing them in a moment of passion. I can only feel something in me breaking, but I am nothing but a doll...

I watched as they both walked back and bumped the table, making me tip over until a loud crash was heard and I how I felt when my porceline face hit the ground. I heard a loud gasp from her and a small "Oh no" from him. 

I, once again, felt his warm hands as he picked me up and turned me over to see. He was not smiling. His eyebrows furrowed for a moment before his wide eyes appeared showing concern. His face came close to me, with his lips parted as he concentrated on my face. I looked at him, at his eyes, at the reflection of my face. Through his eyes, I saw how my jaw had cracked. 

The look that he showed made me feel disgusted. I disliked the look of worry and regret. I wanted him to smile at me like he always had. I wanted him to place me back into my glass box and back into my shelf where he looked up at me with such admiration. I watched as she placed a hand on his shoulder and how he looked at her and smiled at her.

If only I could be human. If only I could speak. If only I could tell him how I fell in love with him. If only I could hug him and kiss him other than she. If only I could be in her place and be able to make him smile like she does and make him look at me like how he looks at her. 

If only I would have never ended up in his hands, in his shop, in this glass box.

edited on: May 2, 2014