Pain

Ghost

 

 

 

“Why Seungho didn’t come with us?”

 

“He has to work.” I answer to Cheondung.

 

Since we started this investigation, Seungho and I met every week end and even during his work time, I know he left his office more than he should have. Result : his father starts to worry about what he’s doing and finally, we have to visit Mir without him.

I guess it’s fine. It would have been awkward for Seungho to be with us since I’m the only one he really knows.

 

Mir leaves in a small apartment downtown, from what Cheondung knows. He knocks on the door and a few seconds after, Mir opens the door. Since last time, he died his hair in blonde and lost some weight, making him look quite gorgeous now.

 

“Cheondung? Jinhee? What are you doing here?”

 

He really looks surprised but still let us go in. The flat sure is small but it’s still seems a good place for a student.

 

 

We talk about various things and eat a lot. Of course, you can’t see someone after so long and ask him immediately if they actually saw a ghost. I remember Mir was really desperate after my cousin’s death, maybe because he was there the day that car hit her. However, he never wanted to talk about what really happened.

 

“Guys, why are you here?” He finally asks.

 

Cheondung and I look at each other and then back to Mir. I guess he knows us a lot and so, he knows we wouldn’t come here after four years of ignorance just to talk about the old time. I sigh and start to tell him everything from the beginning, just like I did with Cheondung last time : how I was able to see ghosts, Seungho, the coffee shop and how we came here thanks to Cheondung …

Mir listen carefully and when I finally finish my story, helped by Cheondung, he just stays silent for five good minutes.

 

“Why didn’t she come?” He asks, breaking the silence.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Why I didn’t see her? She came to you two and this Seungho, whoever he is, but I didn’t see her …”

 

His pained face makes my heart tighten. For the very first time, I feel angry against that spirit, no matter if it’s really Rian or not, Mir was the one of us who truly deserved a visit from the ghost.

 

“Look, the problem’s not here. We want to help her and we need you.” Cheondung continues.

 

“Sorry Mir but, … what happened that day?” I shyly question.

 

“You think she’s here to find her killer right?”

 

We both nod and Mir gets up, starting to walk like a wild animal and ruffling his already messy hair. When he finally comes back on the couch, he starts to explain us everything.

 

Mir and Rian were only having a normal date and when they were about to come back, they got scared by a cat and started to run. It was nothing but they were having fun so they kept running until Rian turned over, still running, to say something to Mir.

Then, without realizing, she crossed a road and Mir saw what she didn’t. A car was coming. The scream got stuck in his throat and all he could do was to keep running to her. Of course, he was to far and she got hit. The car stopped and Mir finally arrived next to Rian, laying in her blood on the road.

The car then started again and drove away from the scene, letting Mir crying, holding Rian in his arms.

 

 

 

“I’m sorry you were there. I couldn’t have stood it.” Cheondung whispers.

 

“If you want to know who the driver was, I actually know a few things.” Mir explains. “But I have a condition …”

 

“What is it?”

 

“If you see her again, tell her to come to see me!”

 

Once again we nod then promise and Mir whips his tears, trying to remember as much as he can.

 

“The car was a white sport car and it seemed new.  And there was a 4, an 8 and a 7 in the license plates but I don’t remember the order.”

 

I note everything in my phone and hug Mir while Cheondung just stays on the couch, probably thinking about something. His sharp eyes are only fixing through the window and I wonder what goes through his mind.

 

“Mir.” He says. “Just one last thing. Did Rian once mentioned the name of Yang Seungho?”

 

“That’s Jinhee’s friend no? The guy who took the picture right?”

 

I look at Cheondung in a suspicious way. He’s really smart that’s sure but what does he want to know right now? It seems like the fact that Seungho saw Rian really bothers him.

Could he be jealous? After all, when he met Seungho, he thought he was my boyfriend and Cheondung even made a joke about the time when we were dating …

No, I’m just dreaming too much. Old time is old. Things change.

 

“No sorry, I don’t think I heard Seungho’s name before today.” Mir answers after thinking for a little while.

 

 

 

A/N : Sorry, I can't post a lot because I have a lot of exams but I'll try to do my best :)