Chapter 1

Beautiful Creatures

   "Beautiful creatures" my best friend Yoona asked, not bothering to look up from the paper she was reading. "You mean those weird, shape-shifting supernaturals?" I nodded. "Unnie, they're not just supernaturals. They could also be in human form like us." 

 

 

 

    Just then my other best friend Yuri appeared with a tray of food in her hands. "Seohyun, since when were you so interested in these kinds of things? How do you even know if they're real?" 

 

 

 

    "Of course they're real. I've seen one with my own two eyes." I retorted.

 

 

 

    When I was around 10 years old, I would always play in our backyard which was located near the woods. It was always boring, playing alone by myself until one day I had an encounter with a beautiful creature. It was big and had white-gray snowy fur. I thought it was going to kill me and feed on my flesh but I was wrong. Behind those sparkly doe eyes was gentleness. It slowly walked up to me and let my hands run through its soft fur. In that moment I didn't feel scared but instead, I felt comfort. 

    

 

 

    My unnies looked at me with slight confusion but shrugged it off afterwards. "Alright, fine. We'll try to believe you. For now we have to get to class so we won't be late."

 

 

 

 

 

♢          ♢          ♢          ♢          ♢

 

 

 

 

    I flipped through the pages of my book as I tried to keep up with my teacher who was busy giving lectures. It was peaceful in the classroom, except for the annoying noise coming from the field. I looked out the window and instantly frowned. There were 12 guys playing soccer and they looked like a bunch of gangsters or bad boys with their clothes. Like who would play soccer during class hours? 

 

 

 

    I didn't realize that I was staring at them for a while until a tall poker-faced guy with black-blonde hair looked to my direction. He smirked and whispered something to the others. The next thing I knew, all of them were looking and smirking at me. Especially the baby-faced guy who was staring at me intensely.

 

 

 

    "Seohyun, please answer the equation on the board." I nodded and stood up from my seat. I glanced at the 12 guys again but to my surprise, they were already gone. Weird.

 

 

 

 

 

♢          ♢          ♢          ♢          ♢

 

 

 

 

    "Are you sure you'll be okay without us?" Yuri and Yoona unnie asked. Classes just ended but I told them I was going to stay in the music room to practice my piano piece. "Yup. I won't be staying until 6 pm anyway." "Okay, just text us if you're home safe. See you tomorrow, Hyunnie!" And then they left. I watched as their shadows fade out into the hallway before heading over to the music room.

 

 

 

 

    I set down my stuff and started to play River Flows in You by Yiruma. This is my favorite song to play with the piano. My mom taught me to pay when I was younger and told me to play with feelings. And that's what I did. 

 

 

 

    "Nice piano skills you got there... Seohyun."

 

 

 

    I got startled at the sudden voice. I stopped playing and looked at the door. He was leaning on the wall with his hands in his pockets. It was the baby-faced guy. 

 

 

 

    "Who are you and how do you know my name?" I was scared. Why does he know me? I'm not even sure if he's a good person or what. I quickly stood up from the bench and took a few steps back. It got even scarier when he walked towards me with that teasing smirk plastered on his face. "Are you scared of me, Seohyun?"

 

 

 

    I tried walking backwards but it was no use. I'm already pinned against the wall with his long arms cornering me. I'm so dead. I was about to scream for help when suddenly the door swung open revealing the 11 other guys I saw this morning. "Stop hyung! You're scaring her!"

 

 

 

    They all laughed at the scene they were witnessing right now. The baby-faced guy chuckled and walked a few steps away, giving me enough space to stand properly. Then the poker-faced guy with black-blonde hair slung an arm around his 'hyung' and smiled at me. "Hey Seohyun noona. I'm Sehun and this is Luhan hyung. And these are my other hyungs at the back," the Sehun guy pointed to the other boys behind him. "We're sorry for having Luhan hyung freak you out. But it's really nice to see you again, noona." Then they all left the room. 

 

 

 

    I was left dumbfounded. Things were really getting freaky now. First, they know who I am. And second, they said that it was nice to see me again. What in the world is happening...