Finding Sincerity

Beauty In A Broken Heart

“What? But.. I thought you loved me.” The confidence you once had was lost, and your voice came shaky, as if you were pleading for him to say that this was all a joke. But you knew it wasn’t. Alen had only been dating for you for a little more than a month, so what made you think that he actually dated you because he liked you? But at the same time, you were thinking… why? Why did he date you just to break your heart?

            You swallowed a lump in your throat and was starting to get choked up with all the thoughts running through your head. “But you dated me after even confessing your love to me.” Tears started to well up again, and you were on the verge of breaking. You couldn’t hold it in anymore. Mihyun was just looking at you with a mocking smile on her face.

“Oh Dabin-ah. You are really stupid, you know that? You thought I really loved you?” He laughed. “Please.. you were easy to get, and I’d lost a bet with my friend, Jimmy, last month, so the consequence was dating you. At first, I thought it was just stupid, but after I had confessed to you, it was just fun to manipulate with you and at the same time date this pretty girl right here, Mihyun,” he nodded to the girl next to him, wearing almost nothing. “Never have I seen a girl so easy to be manipulated. But I have to admit, it was more fun and interesting than annoying. So the bet was actually not that bad, I guess.” Alen gave you one last emotionless look and turned to his real girlfriend, Mihyun.

You shook your head frantically at him and took a step back. “No. This can’t be true. Y-you’re lying, right? Tell me your lying please, I won’t be mad if you just tell me that this is all a joke. P-please, Alen.” But Alen just looked at you with a satisfying smirk. “At least, I don’t have to date you anymore. The bet was only supposed to last one month anyway.”

You took another step back, and another. Then with all the might left in you, you ran out the club door until you reached outside. *There’s nowhere to go. He was the one who brought me here, a-and.. I don’t know where to go. This place is so far away from Seoul.* With trembling legs, you looked to the left then right, then left again, but there was no sign of anything. Also, the coldness in the dark mist of air wasn’t helping either, and there were many drunk old men walking in and out of the night club every so often. You hugged yourself to keep warm in the hoodie that you wore tonight, and looked down at your feet, hoping not to attract any attention, especially not from drunk people. That would be bad.

Suddenly, someone tapped on your shoulder. You jumped a little, and turned around to meet eyes with a tall young man with soft eyes staring at you. “Hey, hey.. don’t cry, I won’t hurt you. But why are you sitting here alone? It’s not safe for a young girl like you to be here by yourself, especially near this night club.” He said.

Your hands flew to your cheeks and realized that they were still stained with tears from earlier that night. You wiped them with the back of a hand, and grew embarrassed in front of this good looking guy.

“U-uh.. I—um, do you know if there’s a bus stop around here somewhere? O-or taxis? Taxis are fine, too!” You quickly changed the subject, hoping he wouldn’t ask you about the crying matter. Thankfully, he was distracted by your question as well.

“No, but do you need a ride home? I can take you home, because this is South Seoul, and it really isn’t safe here, if you ask me.”

“But you’re a stranger and I don’t know you,” You said softly, “What if you’re just here to kidnap me…”

The tall man let out a laugh, a surprisingly comforting one. It sounded… nice. You looked back up to him again to meet his smiling face.

“I’m Suho. There, now were not strangers, right?” He smiled and took your hand. “Now, either I take you home, or you’ll have to freeze in this weather at this time of the night where danger could be lurking in the corners of the streets near this club. Your pick.”

You blinked at him, and quickly shuffled to your feet. You bit your lip and looked away to avoid his eyes. He seemed to give off a genuine vibe to you, one that almost seemed comforting. His actions showed that he was a nice guy, but you weren’t completely sure, after all you had been through today. And even though you clearly know you had just met him, there was something about him that was different, so much more different from Alen. Alen had always been happy, but it was a ‘too-good-to-be-true’ forced happiness. You just never saw through him, since no guy had ever showed interest in you, and he was the first to. Unfortunately, it was all fake. A set up.

Shaking your head, you shook the negative thoughts out and faced Suho again. “I-I think I might need a ride. I don’t want to stay here. I want to go back home,” You said sadly and looked up at him.

“O-oh, alright then! No problem. Here, come on, I’ll take you home.” He said as he held his hand out to you. In the car, he made casual talk with you so that you wouldn’t feel uncomfortable and to also help you relax, seeing that you had had a bad enough day already. Time passed by quickly, and you two got to know each other more. He had made you smile for the first time since the bad confrontation with Alen, and you felt happy. You learned a lot about Suho, that his real name was Kim Joonmyeon, he liked to help out at children’s shelters in his free time, he liked funk-rock music, and that he had 5 close friends that he saw as brothers. *He really isn’t a bad person at all* You thought. All you had known about Alen back then was that he liked everything you liked, and although you used to think it was ‘fate’, you came to realize that you had been so stupid all along. But even after spending such small amount of time with Suho, you found yourself falling for him, his dorky smile, his tall physique, his gentle actions, but most importantly, the sincerity you felt in him. This feeling was definitely a first.

You had also spilled out all the emotions you had kept in during the car ride as well, and told him about the awful incident back at the night club. Although you expected only pity out of him, he gave you a look that represented more than empathy. There was a mix of genuine care and even anger towards the man who made you cry. You felt special for once, knowing that he felt that you were more than just some girl who was dumped, but one who deserved self respect, genuineness, and real love.

---

After you two shared conservations, the car finally rolled up to your driveway, with your house in front.

“Well, we’re here,” Suho said, as he looked up to your house. For some reason, you were kind of sad that you wouldn't see him around anymore after tonight. You got out of the car and gave Suho a little wave goodbye. Just before you were about to turn around, you heard a car door open and close. Turning around, you came face to face with Suho.

"O-oh? Annyeong! What are you doing out here? It's cold! You should wait in the ca--"
There was a moment of silence as Suho leaned down and kissed you on the lips, refraining you from sputtering out any more nonsense. You closed your eyes and savored the moment, feeling the difference in emotions that this young man in front of you had shown to you in less than one night compared to the feelings that Alen had conveyed to you in more than a month. It was different. Alen couldn't even be compared to Suho.

You smiled as you two pulled away from each other. Suho put his hands on either side of your cheeks and looked into your eyes.

"Do you want to be my girlfriend?"

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SWOON. I wish Suho could ask me that question.

But yay for happy ending ^__^ Sorry this was kind of cliche and boring, but I tried!

so how did you think? too fast-paced for a one shot? or was it okay? i like constructive criticism, but i also like compliments too. how about a mixture of both? :]

well, it's my first time writing a story on AFF (well the last time I'd written a story, I was like in the 7th grade, so that didn't count, ahaha.) but even so, I hoped you enjoyed it somewhat :)