The Reason Behind Her Tears

The Reason Behind Her Tears (60 sec series p. 2)

Sunggyu - I need you now

'Minah-ah! Wake up!', someone was shaking her arm.

Minah slowly opened her eyes and ran fingers through her hair, 'What's wrong?'

'You were crying in your sleep.', the other girl heaved a deep sigh.

'Again?', after getting a nod in response, Minah brought her hand to her face.

Her cheeks were wet. She  really had been crying.

'Soojin, I- I didn't want to wake you up a-again, I'm so so-sorry-'

'It's the third time this night. Just get back to sleep.', her friend exited the room, not listening to her apologies.

Minah palmed her face with a deep sigh, trying to remember the dream she'd just had.

Had it been a nightmare? Maybe it had shown some event from her past?

Just as always, she wasn't capable of recalling anything.

 

Minah slipped a woolen sweater on and entered her flat's kitchen. She made herself a cup of coffee and indulged in a moment of pure bliss she felt whenever the caffeinated drink touched her tongue.

'I think you should consult your nightmares with a doctor.', Soojin sighed as she took a sit at the table, her eyes half lidded in a sleepy manner.

'I'm really sorry, because of me you can't get enough sleep. Maybe I'll go and work today instead of you?'

'Just make me coffee.', her friend grunted and rested her head on the table.

'You know you can't drink coffee.'

'Just. Give. Me. The. Coffee.'

Minah suppressed a chuckle hearing the grumpy words and put a teabag in a huge mug decorated with pictures of jellyfish doing sports (including unicorn riding), the favorite of Soojin's. A couple of minutes later she handed the mug to her flatmate, who was currently snoring silently.

Shaking her head, Minah scribbled a few words on a piece of paper and left it on their fridge.

She put a blanket over Soojin and left the flat, locking the door and greeting mister Nam, their neighbour.

 

'Minah!'

She turned around to see her workmate, Jaehoo.

'Oh, hi.', she smiled and stopped to let him catch up with her.

'How's the weekend been?'

'Nothing special. I went to the party I've told you about.'

'Did the dreams stop?'

Minah shook her head, 'No. I feel sorry for Soojin, she has to put up with the screams and stuff.'

Jaehoo shrugged and looked up.

'It's going to rain today.'

'How can you tell? I can't see a cloud in the sky.'

'I watched a forecast.', he replied with a grin.

'I actually thought you were smart or something.'

'Smart people watch weather forecasts.', he protested, poking her side.

'I guess I'm stupid then.', she laughed.

'Knowing you're not clever enough to watch the forecast I brought a spare umbrella with me.'

'Thanks.'

'I didn't say it was for you.'

'Oh.', she pouted.

'Okay, I'll let you have it if it starts to rain after work. But don't think you can achieve everything with this pout of yours.'

 

'A caramel macchiato!'

'A vanilla frappé!'

'Got it!', she nodded her head energetically and jotted the orders down quickly. 'I'll be back with your coffee in a few minutes.', she smiled politely before returning to the counter.

Her lean and slim fingers were extremely agile as she prepared drinks for customers. She had gained experience from numerous courses provided by the café's owner.

She enjoyed her job, as unambitious as it sounds. When she wasn't working, she would either study or party. Ever since she had become a student, her social life seemed to become more and more interesting - she shared interests with her fellow students.

She was really popular and sociable, many people praised her for being so talkative and outgoing. Some, however, found her bubbly personality extremely annoying and avoided her company whenever they could.

Minah scoffed at them, assuming they were either jealous, stupid or ridiculously antisocial.

She never feared to say what she felt, and that was another controversial feature of hers. Her friends respected her for the courage of speaking her mind without worrying about what others may think. They also found her really reliable - they could be sure that when she said something, she actually meant it.

Once again, however, there were people who considered her behaviour rather annoying. They said that she was too truthful and extremely insensitive, that she'd hurt numerous people.

And once again, the only reaction they got in response would be a simple shrug.

There was another type of people - the ones that desperately craved for her attention and tried to behave they way she did, regardless of how stupid it looked in others eyes, let alone Minah's eyes. They treated her as if she'd been an object of their worship, to the point when they barely stayed themselves, picking up all her features including flaws.

She pretended not to care, but deep down she always felt bad for those people. She knew they wouldn't get anything in return; There was no mutuality. She didn't fear to inform them about their hopeless situation, she perceived her own (and hurtful) words as something done for their good.

'Earth to Minah!', Jaehoo waved his hand in front of her face. 'Were you dozing off or something?'

'Nope.', she flashed him a grin as she poured milk into a cup.

'So... Were you thinking about me?'

'Jaehoo...', she poked his side. 'Don't you think too highly of yourself?'

'I know you love me anyway.'

'No, I don't.'

He pouted and she stuck her tongue out.

'Mehrong~'

'Oh, shut up. How can you have so much energy if you hadn't slept well today...', he grumbled.

'It's a result of being incredibly popular and partying whole nights before going to school, you probably won't get to know this feeling.'

'I'll get orders from the customers out there.'

'Okay.', she chuckled and he glared at her.

 

When Minah got back home, she immediately went to Soojin's bedroom, only to see that her friend was asleep.

'I hope you'll sleep well.', she smiled and went to the kitchen to prepare dinner. She put her earphones on and got around chopping vegetables.

She started to dance and hum the song along with the artist, her knife hitting the chopping board to the rhythm. She turned around to the fridge with a pirouette. Her hips rocked back and forth as she picked the ingredients. She had always loved cooking and she knew Soojin loved her dishes, despite her complaining all the time about soups being tasteless or rice being undercooked.

'How was work?'

'Oh, you got up.', Minah grinned, taking one of her earphones out.

'Maybe if you hadn't been jamming to a song in here, I would still be sleeping.'

Minah threw her arms around Soojin, 'My poor bestie is still tired?'

'It's your fault, idiot. You'd better be making me food right now.'

'Of course I am making you food. Would you like a cup of tea?'

'Just give me food.'

Minah snorted, smothering her laughter.

'I wonder how it is possible that you're still single.', Soojin mumbled.

'What do you mean?'

'Exactly what I said.'

Minah shrugged, 'I've never felt that I need to have someone.'

'You definitely have to go clubbing or something.'

'Do I look that desperate?', she wrinkled her nose.

'No, but I need some time to myself.'

'Have I ever told you that I find you extremely lovely and adorable?'

Soojin grunted under her breath.

'I'm not adorable. Lovely, yes, but not adorable.'

'Tomorrow you'll go to work with me. Jaehoo is taking a day off.'

'That depends on whether I'll sleep properly tonight.'

'Yah-', Minah nudged her friend and poured soup into two bowls. She handed the chopsticks to Soojin and they began to eat.

'Why is it so tasteless? Jeez, you should already know that I like savoury food.'

Minah sighed and passed her salt.

 

'Wake up! I need you to make me breakfast.', Soojin shook her arm continuously.

'Did I cry?'

'No, but your snoring-'

'Yah!'

'Okay, okay. You didn't snore. Make me food.'

'Sure. Would you like tea?'

'Why is it always tea? Can't I have coffee for once?'

'No. The doctor said it's harmful for you, so you're going to drink tea.'

'That doctor was an idiot.'

'... You can't say everyone who disagrees with you is an idiot.'

'Quit talking and get down to making me food.', Soojin mumbled. 'We have half an hour.'

'Why did you wake me up so early?', Minah whined.

'Because you have been waking me up in the middle of the night for a few weeks.'

'But it wasn't on purpose.'

'I don't care. I'm sleepy either ways.'

They ended up laughing together and eating quick breakfast because they didn't have much time left.

 

Minah and Soojin arrived in the café late. They ran into the utility room and grabbed their aprons, slipped them on and headed towards the counter, ready to greet new customers.

'I'll talk to the ones at the fifth table.', Minah stated as she took out a pen from one of  numerous drawers hidden in the counter. 'Try not to fall asleep.'

'Yah.', Soojin chuckled. 'You're the one dangerous when asleep. By the way, have you recalled anything?'

'Nope, and I don't think I'm going to. But tonight I didn't wake up, so I guess the dreams... Maybe they're over.'

'Nah, I don't think so. It's the first time in weeks you've had a proper sleep, without crying and making me get up and talk to you. I don't think it's over yet. I mean, of course I hope it is, but it seems kind of impossible. Would the nightmares disappear so abruptly, without you even being able to remember what they were about?'

 

Lyn - Back in time

'It's raining.', Soojin said as she glanced at the window. They were filling in some papers concerning their salaries.

'Oh, is it? I didn't realise.', Minah smiled.

'You were too immersed in your thoughts, I guess.'

'So, how many frappés have we served today?'

Soojin flipped the page, 'Eleven. People aren't buying it today because of the weather, I think.'

'I hate rain. It's so cold.'

'Remember that one day when it was pouring down? That one guy was really determined to ask you out.'

'He even planned our kiss in the rain or something. Ugh.', Minah flinched at the memory. 'I'll go out and breathe some fresh air.'

'Okay. I'll make us coffee.'

'Alright.'

'Yah, I can't drink coffee! You really are out of your mind right now.', Soojin shot her a meaningful look.

'I'm sorry.'

 

Minah wrapped the sweater tighter around her body. She huffed. It was cold.

She really hated the weather that day.

Not only because there weren't many customers coming over to the café, but also because the rain made her think of her dreams.

She stood and looked up into the sky, her face brightening when she saw the shower was over.

Even though she couldn't see the sun due to the sky being overcast, she already felt warmer.

A small smile tugged the corners of her lips.

Feeling better, she decided to get back to work so she turned around and entered the café once again.

'Who is that guy?', Soojin asked.

'What guy...?', Minah lifted her eyebrows.

'The one following you in here. He's sitting at number three.'

Minah slowly turned her face, only to meet eyes with the guy.

'I don't know him.'

'Are you sure? Because his eyes are on you all the time.'

'Okay, I get it.', Minah hissed. 'Go and get his order.'

'Uh, hello? He followed YOU, not me.'

'He's strange.', she wrinkled her nose. 'But good looking. Go.'

Soojin sighed, 'Now I know why you're single.'

'Do you expect me to marry him?', Minah scoffed.

'Okay, okay, I'll go.'

 

'Wow, he's rude. He brushed me off shaking his head. He didn't even speak up.'

'Maybe he's just antisocial...'

'Then go and talk to him, miss psychoanalytic.'

'Okay...', she placed the cup she'd been wiping on the counter and made tea in it. 'This should warm him up a bit.'

Minah grabbed the cup and made her way to the table number three.

'Can I help you?', she asked, hiding the tea from his sight.

'I've already said that I don't-', he raised his head and she could tell from the look on his face that he was astonished.

She smiled at him politely, just like she did every time she delivered a customer their order.

'I thought you may be cold, the weather today is really unpleasant. It's on the café's expense.', she placed the cup on the table and turned back to return to the counter.

Something told her to stop and talk to the guy, but she ignored that urge and got back to work.

 

'He's leaving.', Soojin gasped.

'I didn't expect him to sit here forever.'

'But you don't even have his number-'

'Soojin. Please, just let it go. I'm fine like that.', Minah sighed. 'I'll clean his table.'

When she lifted the cup from the table, she spotted a ring.

She took it between her fingers. It was silver and plain simple - no decorations, no patterns.

Seeing the man hadn't left yet, she caught up with him quickly, tapping his shoulder right in the middle of the café.

'Sir.'

He slowly turned around. Right when his eyes met hers, he immediately turned his gaze away.

She could swear his face showed pain - the bitter smile on his face was quite meaningful.

'You left this ring on the table.', she explained, not discouraged by his expression in any way.

She had never feared to speak to people after all.

Nonetheless, just like before when she felt the urge to start a conversation with him, a single look at him told her there clearly was something wrong. His eyes were watered, tears forming in their corners. He also couldn't stand still - whole his body was trembling, just like if he had been fighting against himself.

Something about his sadness was mesmerizing her despite her feeling rather intimidated.

She heard him release a deep and shaky sigh when she reached out her hand with the ring.

She could only stand there, dumbfounded, as he took her hand in his and slowly closed her fingers on the ring, shaking more than ever.

His actions were followed by a single tear slowly rolling down his cheek.

She furrowed her eyebrows, trying to understand him.

When the realisation and memories hit her, tears welled in her eyes.

She remembered her dreams.

They weren't nightmares about monsters or natural disasters; They were worse. In them, she saw tears mixing with raindrops, she felt a stinging pain in her chest, she heard herself sobbing. She recalled all the times when she cried out in her sleep for him, her voice smothered somewhere down when she choked on her tears. She had a hard time breathing, she felt nauseous and she felt her knees slowly giving in.

Minah wasn't capable of seeing clearly anymore, the tears blurring her vision.

She wanted to see his eyes so badly, she wanted him to hold her.

They stood in the middle of the café, tears streaming down their faces.

She held her breath when he moved. She wanted to tell him that she was willing to give it a try. That she didn't care if they were going to end up fighting. That she desparately needed his presence, even though she didn't know him at all.

He let go of her hand and ran out, leaving her alone with her pain.

Pain that seemed to be burning a hole in her heart.

'What happened? Minah?', she felt Soojin tugging her sleeve. 'Did he tell you something...?'

Minah shook her head in response, trying her best not to collapse to the ground as she propped her hand on a wall.

'He simply gave up. I can't comprehend that. It's over.'


There you go, thank you so much for reading! I'm sorry it was later than I'd promised ;-;

I know there's only a little bit of Myungsoo, but I thought you might be willing to get to know the female character more, that was the point of this part. ;3

I hope you enjoyed this kind-of-but-not-really-prequelish thingy ^^ I should post the last part in a few days.

I had the hardest time trying to find a gif with the girl - as you can see I failed miserably, all of them featured Myungsoo. ;-;


Also, check out this poll - I will write the ending based on its results :)