Unexpected

A Collection

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

UNEXPECTED

 

"Mom? Where are we going?" Little Shem asked his mother.

 

Sandara looked at her son at the back of the car while she was driving the wheel and smiled. "You will know when we get there Shem." she then looked back at the road.

 

"Mom, can you tell me now?" Little Shem asked again. He is still two years old going to three. A young boy who's getting taller and taller as he aged. Sandara hadn't thought that she would be able to raise her child so well just by herself. Shem always follows her instructions and would just whine when he's not in the mood, but that only happens once in a blue moon.

 

"Do you know what day today is?" Sandara asked her wondering child.

 

"Hmmmm.." Little Shem tried to think. "What is it today?" He scratched his head.

 

"Can you guess?" Sandara put out a little giggle.

 

Shem's eyes widened as he remembered. "Oh! Oh! Oh! It's February 19!" He smiled widely.

 

"And what day is that?"

 

"My Birthday!!!" Shem was so happy. It's a Sunday so it's a family day.

 

"And where are we going?" Sandara drove in the parking lot and found a vacant space to park in.

 

"Pizza Cab! And after that, Game World!" Shem shouted with joy. Sandara always brings Shem at the Pizza Cab during important events and then she brings him at the Game World after.

 

Sandara laughed as she turned off the car and unbuckled her seatbelt. He went outside and then went to also unbuckle little Shem at the backseat. "Here we are." Sandara held the hand of her son as Shem took gentle steps as he went out of the car.

 

"Minefro!" Little Shem shouted as he looks at the enormous four storey mall at his view. All you wanted to buy, you can find it here. It is also the biggest mall in the city. It has been serving the people well for about ten years now. And in that duration, nothing has ever surpassed its sales. Best of the city.

 

They walked in the gigantic building as they saw the busy people roaming at the open space. Shem was leaping happily as he saw other children and toys around. Well, that's what a kid would want right? Toys and more toys!

 

"Mom?" Shem shook his mothers arm as he looked up to meet her eyes.

 

"Yes son?" Sandara looked down at her son who's eyes were sparkling. She smiled warmly.

 

Shem smiled back warmly and then he spoke. "Will you buy me new toys today?" he said.

 

Sandara put out a little laughter. That's why he really liked her son. Shem asks for things without even bothering what Sandara's decision would be. If it's a yes or a no. But Sandara is trying her best not to spoil her son. But she could forget the rule for today because it's little Shem's birthday. "Of course son! Let's go to Toy World after we are done eating lunch okay?" She tightened her grip on Shem's hand assuring him.

Little Shem happily nodded. "Yey! New Toys!" he leaped. Shem again shook the hand of his mother. "Mom?" he said.

 

Sandara looked down again at her son. "Yes son?"

 

"Will you buy me new books also?" Shem smiled.

 

"Books?" Sandara laughed. "Are you done reading your other books? I just bought you some last month." she asked.

 

"Yes." Little Shem nodded and then raised his hand putting a scissor gesture. "Two times already. All of them." He smiled widely.

 

"Really?" Sandara was surprised. "Okay then, let's buy you new ones." She said because of happiness. Who's parent could not buy their child something they like that could help them develop their own skills?

 

"Yey! New Toys and new Books!!" Shem jumped up and down because of delight.

 

After Sandara brought Little Shem to eat lunch, she then brought him to find some toys he would like to have in the Toy World. Toy World is big. Like, kids are running all over the place. Shouting, jumping and some of them are crying. The reason for it is just too obvious. Their parents aren't buying them what they want simply because they might not have the budget; or they might have the budget but the price is just so high for the toy; or it could be, they have the budget but are not spoiling the kid just like Sandara.

 

"Mom, I want this!" Shem pointed at a big box with a huge smile.

 

"What's this?" Sandara looked closely at the box to find that it's a lego set. "Oh, a Lego set? Architecture Studio?" Sandara smiled. "You want to be an architect someday?" she asked.

 

"Yes!" Little Shem's eyes sparkled.

 

Sandara's eyes were going watery as she remembered the father of her child. He was an architecture student and is an Architect now having an international license. What kind of man is he? Super Rich! Is Shem like his father? Definitely. He even looks like a small replica of him.

 

"Mom? What's wrong?" Shem asked his mother as he cupped her face with his little hands. "It's okay if you don't buy me this if it's too much." he smiled brightly.

 

Sandara giggled. "We are buying this my son. It's just, mommy just remembered something. I'm fine." She wiped her eyes and then took the large box of lego set.

 

It's just ordinary for a child who's grown without a father beside him to question his mother on where his father is. In Sandara's case, she has been telling the truth to her son about his father though Shem didn't bother on asking too much. He just asks questions like what is his father like; what did he do for a living and other simple questions children would want to know.

 

"I'll go pick up a cart to put this in. You go ahead on the books section and choose the ones you like. Okay? I'll be right behind you." Sandara kissed Shem's forehead.

 

Shem smiled and kissed back his mother on the lips. What children usually do. "Thank you mom." he said and then off he ran.

 

"Slowly Shem." Sandara said while smiling looking at his son.

 

She was smiling the whole time because of Shem. How he showed his affection to her. She just love her son so much. She sometimes questions herself "Am I a great mother?". She had provided her son's needs. Is she? Did she?

 

Sandara grabbed a cart and placed the big box in it. She started pushing the cart when her phone started to ring. She looked at her vibrating purse and opened it. She found her phone blinking when the cart she was pushing turned to stop because she bumped into something.

 

"Sorry!" Sandara immediately looked at where it bumped and it's a someone and not a something.

 

She just held her phone on her hand as it is still vibrating from the incoming call. Her eyes widened as she looked at the person in front of her. Mouth open, her jaws were kinda locked by the shock she had. She stared at the person while making sure it's the real one or just an imagination.

 

"Your phone." The person smiled at her. A smile she misses.

 

By that said, her senses came back. "My what?" Sandara asked.

 

"Your phone is ringing." The person pointed at her hand.

 

She looked at her hand. "Oh!" Sandara came back to her original state. "A call." She smiled as she pointed to her phone.

 

"It stopped." The person said.

 

Sandara looked back at her phone. "Oh, sorry. Mom called. She'll call again." Sandara smiled brightly.

 

"How are you Dee?" The person asked her.

 

"Me?" Sandara asked as she was given a nod in return by the person in front her. The person called her Dee. A nickname given to her by the person she first loved and maybe up until now. "I'm fine." she nodded. "Yeah, I'm fine." She's kinda nervous and at the same time happy. Who wouldn't? A person whom you didn't expect to see like never ever. Who wouldn't? "And you?" she asked back.

 

"I'm fine. Me, still myself." The person smiled.

 

Then Sandara's phone started to ring again. "Oh." Sandara looked at the person. "I'm going take this now. Glad to see you again Jiyong." Sandara said as she answered the call and started pushing the cart again.

 

"Mom?" she answered the phone.

 

"Bye Dee." Jiyong said to her.

 

Sandara looked at him, smiled and just nodded. Her heart pounded so much that she can't hear her Mom clearly on the other line. What's wrong with her? She just continued on pushing her cart while taking the call. As she turned to her right on the way to the books section, she glanced back at the aisle and saw Jiyong still standing where she left him and was looking back at her. She smiled again at him and then a pile of toys covered her view.

 

She saw Shem looking at at some story books while holding some. "Shem!" Sandara called at her son. "Did you find something?" she asked.

 

"Mom! I found this." Little Shem turning up the books to her Mom. Just ordinary bedtime stories. Shem with his huge smile then said something after placing the books on the cart. "Mom, I met this guy awhile ago when you took a cart. We talked and then he asked me where my mother is, so I told him that you went to get a cart and then he asked what your name is, so I told him. Is that Okay?"

 

"Of course my son. There's nothing wrong with it." Sandara smiled at him.

 

Shem then held her hands as they walked through the corridor of books. "He told me she knew you. He's handsome. He looks like me." Shem giggled at his thoughts.

 

Sandara was surprised on what Shem had said. Did Jiyong meet him? "Where is he now son?" she asked still with a smile.

 

"He walked on the way where you came as you saw me looking at the books."

 

Yeah. It's difinitely him. Shem met Jiyong, his father. "Oh really? Did he tell you his name?" She just said.

 

Shem nodded. "Yeah, he said to call him uncle since he knew you. Uncle--" Shem then tugged her hand. "Mom, there he is." Shem ran towards the guy. "Uncle Ji!" he shouted.

 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Hey everyone! It's been a long time! Just got the second update dedicated entirely to the one and only Dara!! I hope you enjoyed reading it. I'm on the process of writing a new story right now.  THANK YOU for reading! God Bless!

 

UPVOTE, SUBSCRIBE and PLEASE DO COMMENT!! I'd gladly appreciate it.  See you next time.