Chapter One

Counting Love

Kyungsoo bit into his lower lip as he bowed to the store's manager who was looking at in a judging manner."Are you even eighteen, kid?" The tall man asked, the foul smell of tobacco hitting the younger's nose when he did so.

Quickly, the boy shook his head."No, sir. Almost." He squeaked out before bowing deeply, more to escape from the man's stench than to show his respect towards him."But I've worked before and I have all of the summer free."

"Fine. You know what, I'll give you one month, let's see what you can do." The man said."You look like a hard-working kid and well, no one else had decided to apply yet."

"Oh." Kyungsoo mumbled, lips stretching into a shaky but genuine smile."I wonder why..." He added quietly.

Actually, he didn't have to think twice about why the small place had so little applicants for the post of the cashier: it was small, dark, smelly and just utterly well, disgusting. It was supposed to be a grocery store but most of the already rotting, wooden shelves were filled with dusty toys and food that seemed to have gone bad quite a long time ago.

In his hurry to find a job, Kyungsoo had only found this one. School had ended only days ago but he was eager to break away from his old apartment. He hated having to live there without his father. His uncle had taken him under his care but at the moment, he was away for an indefinite time which pretty much had caused the boy to be alone.

Just as he had suspected before, he despised the silence his father had left behind. Months had passed but hints of the man's scent still lingered in the small, confined place they used to call home... And Kyungsoo hated it. No matter how much he scrubbed the floor, tidied up and let the fresh air seep in through the windows... the remnants of his father's presence still seemed to be there, mocking him, tearing his heart apart from shred to shred.

Kyungsoo was a wreck. 

"Kid, are you here?" The man, his new boss, snarled, voice almost threatening as he not so lightly hit the boy's head."If you want to work here, you have to actually pay attention, hope you know it."

"Yes, sir." Kyungsoo whispered, fright flashing up in his round eyes."Sorry." He added quietly before looking up at his boss.

The man just shrugged before guiding him behind the cash."Don't even think of stealing the money we have stashed here. Just one note stolen and you can go on your way."

"Of course..." Kyungsoo whispered, his chest heaving a little quicker than it should have: he was flat out terrified but the thought of running home seemed like a crazy idea. He had to do this, even if he was petrified, even if he felt like thousands of people were waiting for him to do something wrong so he could be punished... 

Kyungsoo had never felt this scared before.

"I'm going out now, kid. Take care of the shop." The man said and left, the sound of his shuffling soon being reduced to the softest of pitter-patters...then nothing. 

And Kyungsoo was alone in the silence once again, only his own breath breaking it. The boy sat down slowly, taking a deep breath."You can do it..." He whispered to himself."Not like anyone would ever come here, anyway."

Truth was that he hadn't thought of working already on that day. He actually expected to find a small, cute shop with a huge staff and many, many customers. What he found was completely different and just a bit disappointing. But oh well, could he really complain? He had to be happy with the job he had because it was going to serve it's purpose... It was going to distract him.

Suddenly, the door flung open. Rushed but even steps hit the boy's ears first and his head darted towards the door before his lips curled into a tiny smile. He knew that person quite well... It was his Math teacher, Mr Kim after all.

Kyungsoo had always enjoyed the man's classes. He was a fun person as long as one understood Math as he added quite an amount of puns to the problems he wrote on the blackboard. Sure, his letters were barely readable and he was well, strict but, who cared? Not Kyungsoo, who was quite smart and sat in the very first row. He only pitied the people who sat in the back and not only because copying the things on the board was tougher for them: Mr Kim seemed to pick on them for some odd reason.

"Kyungsoo?" The teacher asked, honest bewilderment written all over his face."What are you doing here?"

"I work here, sir." Kyungsoo replied softly, turning his gaze away."Kind of... I actually only started working like..right now."

"I can see that." The man chuckled a little."How are you?" He asked, his eyes suddenly filled with concern.

"I'm...okay. I guess. I miss him but I have to cope with it, can't just sit at home and mope around, can I?"

"Have you even been at your house for more than two days?" The teacher asked with a soft sigh."You know that half of the teacher staff is willing to take you in, don't you?"

"I do, sir but I"m almost eighteen. And... I don't think anyone would stand my company right now. I just need some time..." Kyungsoo whispered quietly."But I'm fine, I do have to spend some time at home so... it's okay..."

The teacher just sighed before turning away to look for something on the shelves."My neighbour is pregnant and her husband asked me to get her some chocolate cream because he suddenly has to go to work or something... Do you think you have any?"

"Honestly? I have no idea..." Kyungsoo said softly."I just got here... But maybe we have some...hiding under something... Like a rat's nest..."

"Wow, I can literally feel how much you're in love with this place already." The teacher chuckled as he continued his search.

"Well, at least I'm honest. It's..cosy, I guess.." Kyungsoo said with a soft sigh."My mom, she was an interior-designer..." He added softly."I sometimes wish I could do the things she had done... Our old house had been decorated by her..."

"Oh." The teacher said before lifting up a suspicious box of something."I think I will go now and find another shop..." He added.

Kyungsoo nodded and giggled a little, an idea already forming in his mind. He was going to spend his summer here in this dreary place, why not make out the best of it?"