Side: Yongguk's POV

The First Relationship Lesson: Talk

       Same event, just from Yongguk's point of view, plus a little more at the end because... eh would have been boring otherwise right? I wasn't planning on writing this buuuttttt I'm a er when it comes to requests from my tumblr >.<       


  Amidst the laughs and excited chatter practically echoing around in the restaurant, Yongguk was staring down at his phone again, sighing as he saw that his younger boyfriend still hadn’t contacted him. He was pushed slightly and glanced up at his best friend Himchan.

                “Still hasn’t texted you?”

                Yongguk pouted and shook his head. “I just don’t understand. About two months ago he would have texted every day if not every 10 minutes.”

                “Aren’t you glad he isn’t as clingy?” Daehyun asked from across the table. The younger male already had his chopsticks in his hand as he spotted the waitress heading for their table.

                “But not like this.” Yongguk whined.

                Daehyun’s jaw dropped. “Hyung, promise me one thing. Never, ever make that noise again.” Yongguk scowled and Daehyun seemed more relaxed as he allowed himself to dig into his food.

                “Daehyun does have a point though,” Youngjae said as he stole a piece of food from Daehyun, he was the only person Yongguk had ever seen to be successful in doing so. “You said the last time we came here that you wished he was less clingy.”

                “Less clingy, not like this. I liked having him around and seeing his cute smile always lit up my day. He went from being glued to me to practically invisible. I don’t like this.” Yongguk stabbed the piece of kimchi on his plate.

                “Well you know what you have to do.” Himchan said as he started putting meat on the grill.

                “What?” Yongguk asked.

                Himchan looked at him like he was an idiot. “You need to talk to him.”

                Youngjae nodded in agreement. “Like we said in the first place, conversation is the only thing that keeps misunderstandings from happening.”

                Yongguk groaned and shifted his snapback, feeling uncomfortable. “Talking…”

                Daehyun choked on his rice. “Hyung, what did I tell you about the whining noise?! You seriously are creeping me out.”

                Himchan placed the tongs on the table a little rough gaining everyone’s attention, but his eyes were drilling holes into Yongguk’s head. “Yongguk, enough of this damn pity party. Yes, you’ve told me that even though Zelo is young you still thought he was mature enough to date but he is still young; young and with less experience in relationships than you. You need to be the adult here and open the bridge of communication so that Zelo feels comfortable about talking to you about whatever is bothering him.”

                Daehyun grabbed one of Himchan’s pieces of meat and started eating it, ignoring the irritated look on his Hyung’s face. “I say you dump him.”

                “Daehyun!” Youngjae punched Daehyun’s shoulder.

                “What? It’s the truth!” Daehyun stole food from Youngjae’s plate only adding oil to the fire.

                Youngjae pursed his lips. “Why do you always suggest dumping people at the first sign of trouble?”

                “I do not.” Daehyun scoffed.

                Youngjae crossed his arms. “Yes, you do. You did the same with Hyosung and Kikwang.”

                “And we all know how that ended up.”

                Youngjae threw his hands up. “And you spurred it on!”

                “I did not!” Daehyun argued.

                Himchan chuckled. “Yes, even perfect couples argue. In the end, they will talk normally and reconcile.”

                Yongguk bit his bottom lip. “I don’t know…”

                “Besides this is different. We saw Zelo cheating on Yongguk.” Daehyun said.

                “Really?” Youngjae asked Yongguk.

                “He said it was his friend Jongup.”

                Himchan twisted his lips in thought. “You’ve mentioned this Jongup before.”

                “Because whenever we text now, Zelo is hanging out with the kid.” Yongguk said aggravated. “Why does he hang out with him more than me? It’s not fair!”

                “Hyung, I can hear your internal age dropping by the second.” Youngjae sat there judging Yongguk. “Please think more rationally.”

                “What am I supposed to think?” Yongguk frowned.

                “Oh, I don’t know, maybe Zelo has a friend.” Himchan shook his head.

                “Still doesn’t mean he has to talk about him all the time.” Yongguk mumbled as he stabbed a piece a meat.

                Himchan chuckled. “It’s actually cute to see you jealous.”

                “Shut up!”

                “I can’t believe you are getting so worked up about a high school student.” Daehyun sighed.

                “That’s it.” Youngjae pulled Daehyun closer to him and whispered in his ear. Daehyun was mid eye roll when he stopped and dropped his chopsticks.

                “You… are you serious?” Daehyun asked scared.

                “Play nice, or else.” Youngjae threatened.

                Daehyun sat up straight and gulped. “Yo—Yongguk Hyung you should just go talk to him.”

                “Damn, I really want to know what Youngjae threatened him with.” Himchan said astonished.

                Youngjae smirked and lightly played with Daehyun’s hair. “Some things are meant to stay between a couple.”

                “So, what are you going to do?” Himchan asked.

                Yongguk stared down at his plate. “That’s a good question.”

                It was the question Yongguk woke up to the next morning as he looked at his cellphone once again. ‘It’s been a week since I’ve heard anything from him… this is the longest time yet. His behavior is so unlike my Junhong…’

                Yongguk dropped his phone onto the nightstand and screamed into his pillow to let out his frustration. “Is he trying to make me take a hint? Does he want to break up? Is that why he never calls me anymore?! I want my cute giant back!” Yongguk hit the pillow.

                “!” He sat up quickly. ‘Youngjae is right… waiting around is torture and it is changing me. I need to be mature about this and go talk to him, figure out what is wrong.’

                Yongguk roughly grabbed his phone again to check the time and date. Seeing that is was almost 11 on a Saturday, Yongguk decided that he should go see Zelo, face to face. He showered to clear his mind, but his anxiety and ‘what-if’ scenarios kept frustrating him. He grabbed the first outfit he saw and ran out the door, letting the slight breeze dry his short hair for him.

                A walk and a short bus ride later and Yongguk was standing in front of Zelo’s house. He paced on the sidewalk, remembering that Zelo lived with his parents, ‘Of course he does, he’s still in high school,’ and debated calling Zelo out. Zelo’s parents were not his only problem though. Yongguk tried to mentally prepare himself for a break up. At this point, it was the only option he could see. ‘There is no other reason for someone that clingy to back off so suddenly!’

                “ it, things aren’t getting any easier waiting out here.” Yongguk mumbled as he started marching up to the house.

                Yongguk exhaled and shook his arms out, preparing himself before he knocked on the door. He didn’t have to wait long before he hear the door unlock.

                Zelo opened the door and the younger’s eyes widened. “Hyu—hyung!”

                “Can I come in?” Yongguk asked trying to sound confident.

                “Of course.” Zelo smiled.

                Zelo moved aside so Yongguk could come in and take his shoes off. He was surprised to see that the younger was home alone but it brought him a sense of relief, since they hadn’t really told Zelo’s parents about them yet, for obvious reasons. Yongguk wanted to wrap his arms around the younger who looked adorable with his hair messy and not styled but he refrained since he wasn’t sure where they stood with each other.

                “Hyung, I’m so happy to see you!” Yongguk’s eyes widened in surprise not expecting to be taken to Zelo’s bedroom, especially since it was his first time in the younger’s house.

                “Are you really?” Yongguk asked in an even tone, trying not to let his conflicting emotions show. He was feeling hurt and betrayed but also lonely.

                Zelo shut his bedroom door and looked at Yongguk in confusion. “What do you mean? Why wouldn’t I be happy?”

                ‘What do I mean? You’re the one who never texts me!’ Yongguk felt irritation bubbling up inside of him. “You never come over anymore, hell you barely text me, what else am I supposed to think? Did I do something wrong?”

                Yongguk’s irritation grew as the younger boy in front of him stood there in silence. The silence grew and it shook Yongguk’s confidence to the core. He noticed the boy fidgeting with his fingers and saw how nervous he was. ‘So that’s why he didn’t say anything… just didn’t know how to tell me…’

                Yongguk sighed and ran a hand through his barely dried short black hair. “Look, Zelo… if you wanted to break up you should have just said so. You don’t have to fake being happy anymore. I just wish you had told me sooner.”

                There were no sounds of protest so Yongguk took that as a sign that they were officially over. He swallowed back the knot of sadness rising up his throat and started walking towards the door, which meant he would have to pass by Zelo. He closed his eyes as he was passing not wanting to make remembering this incident easier in the future. He stopped when he left Zelo grab his arm tightly.

                “Wait don’t leave! I don’t want to break up; I never wanted to break up! That’s why I’ve been doing all this.” Zelo said sounding desperate.

                “Sorry!” Zelo said quickly and let go on Yongguk’s arm as if it was dangerous.

                ‘The hell is going on…’ Yongguk looked between his arm and his boyfriend, feeling completely confused. “Why would you say sorry for touching me? I’m your boyfriend; you’re allowed to touch me.”

                “But… I don’t want to annoy you.” Zelo looked down.

                “Okay.” Yongguk grabbed Zelo’s hands and directed him to the bed. It was time to really talk, not what he had attempted to do early when he was feeling emotional, but really talk like Youngjae and Himchan had suggested. “We are going to sit and talk this out because I don’t understand exactly what’s wrong. Let’s fix this so that my Junhong doesn’t feel bad about touching me.”

                Zelo looked at their linked hands and rubbed his thumb along Yongguk’s. Yongguk sat there patiently letting the younger work out what was going through his mind.

                Zelo groaned. “This is really hard because I’ve been trying to act so mature for you but if I start talking everything I’ve worked for will be for nothing.”

                Yongguk frowned. “I never said you were immature Junhong.”

                “You didn’t but your friend did!”

                “My friend? Which friend said that to you?” Yongguk was beyond confused at this point.

                “Not… to me. I might have overheard you talking in a restaurant…”

                “When—“ Yongguk groaned as pieces fell into place. “Like two months ago at the BBQ buffet? I should have noticed that’s when everything started changing. Why didn’t you tell me?”

                “Hyung, how could I tell you!? That seems even clingier!”

                ‘If only I had something earlier…’ It was Yongguk’s turn to look away. “I should have just talked to you about it… I’m sorry.”

                “I thought you would like it if I distanced myself more, but then I wasn’t sure how long to wait to see you again.” Zelo pouted.

                Yongguk couldn’t help but laugh at his adorable boyfriend. ‘The way his mind works…’

                Zelo frowned. “Hyung, it’s not funny! I really missed you!”

                “You are just too cute, what am I going to do with you.” Yongguk ruffled Zelo’s hair. “With all this time apart I almost forgot. I guess we’ll just have to hang out more often.”

                Zelo perked up at that. “Really?”

                “Yes.” Yongguk smiled. “I do like that you can be clingy, Zelo. It’s just that sometimes I need a break. So, how about this time when I feel like I need some space, I let you know?”

                Zelo’s whole face brightened up and Yongguk could feel his smile growing wider at the sight. “Hyung, you really mean it?”

                At Yongguk’s nod Zelo jumped forward pushing Yongguk back on to the bed as he hugged him as tightly as he could. He nuzzled into Yongguk’s neck. “Tomorrow I’ll turn down my clinginess but for now, just don’t leave me.”

                Yongguk’s heart skipped a beat and he remained frozen until he remembered that he was with Zelo, his cute naïve high school boyfriend, who probably didn’t understand what those words could also mean. So, Yongguk relaxed and wrapped his arms around Zelo, bringing him even closer as he chuckled at the giant bundle of cute lying on top of him. “Why would I ever leave?”

                Zelo chuckled. “I don’t know, maybe for school or work?”

                “Nothing is as important to me right now, than you.” Yongguk was overjoyed at their now easy conversation and finally being able to touch his boyfriend. His smile was almost painful. He tightened his hold on Zelo until the younger complained he couldn’t breathe.

                The doorbell rang interrupting their cute make up session and Yongguk frowned. “Were you expecting someone?”

                Zelo’s face scrunched in confusion as he got off Yongguk. “No… it could be Jongup.”

                ‘There goes my good mood.’ “Why would Jongup be here?”

                Zelo shrugged. “He’s my best friend and we hang out often.”

                “Maybe too much.” Yongguk mumbled.

                “What?”

                “Nothing, we better get the door right?” Yongguk hooked his arm around Zelo’s waist.

                Zelo giggled while the walked to the door but then stepped out of Yongguk’s hold to get the door which only fueled Yongguk’s growing jealousy.

                “Jongup! I thought you were at dance practice!” Zelo exclaimed still excited from earlier.

                “I was, but it ended early. I thought I would stop by before I went home to see how you were doing.” Jongup walked in and froze when he saw Yongguk.

                “Hello, Jongup.” Yongguk said tensely.

                “Yongguk-sshi, surprised to see you here.” Yongguk noticed the tightening in the younger man’s eyes.

                Zelo grabbed Jongup’s arm and dragged him into the house, much to Yongguk’s displeasure. “Yongguk and I finally talked about things!”

                “You did?” Jongup asked skeptically.

                “Yeah!” Zelo let go of Jongup’s arm briefly to grab him a water bottle before putting his hand on Jongup’s arm again.

                Yongguk’s eye twitched but he tried to keep his unhappiness to himself. Jongup noticed though. Yongguk thought the kid would end up being madder at him but instead he smiled. “Well, if things are fine I should get going—AH! Can I borrow you math book? I left mine in my locker.”

                “Sure! I’ll be right back.” Zelo walked off to his room.

                “So, you both talked?” Jongup asked.

                Yongguk sighed realizing Jongup had wanted to talk to him alone. “Zelo and I are going to work things out so that we can both be happy… together.”

                Jongup held his hands up as he chuckled slightly. “Don’t worry I’m not trying to steal your boyfriend. Zelo is my best friend and when he stopped hanging off of you all that clinginess redirected itself to me.”

                “Well, you won’t have to worry about that anymore.” Yongguk grumbled.

                Jongup’s lips twitched in amusement. “If you say so.”

                Yongguk’s eyes darkened but Zelo returned with the book. Jongup smiled and said goodbye before leaving. Yongguk pouted at how long Zelo was taking to say goodbye. Once the boy came back into the kitchen area Yongguk pulled him in for a hug.

                “Hyung?”

                “We need to talk about Jongup.” Yongguk’s voice was muffled in Zelo’s chest.

                “Jongup hyung?”

                Yongguk sighed and pulled back. “More like you being touchy feely with other people besides me and how it makes me jealous.” Zelo giggled and Yongguk frowned. “It’s not funny, Junhong.”

                Zelo hugged Yongguk again tightly. “I know, but it’s a nice reminder that you care. So, let’s go talk so things are easier in the future.” Zelo started pulling Yongguk towards his room again.

                “We can talk out here…” Yongguk said confused.

                “I know, but the bed is more comfortable and I can cuddle with you more.” Zelo’s smile was almost blindly.

                Yongguk sighed with a smile on his face. ‘My cute naïve boyfriend really will be the death of me.’