What Else Could We Be?

After Our Memories and Dreams
"You’re part of the rap team so you have to do it!” Kai sighed, irritated. He, Sehun, Tao, Kris and Chanyeol were practicing for a stage performance. It was a new song that they will be performing after the others finish promoting their song Miracles in December.
 
“I don’t get why I have to do the wave! It’s not even necessary in the song!” Sehun at on the floor, a tantrum threatening to explode.
 
“Hey, brat. Stop whining.” Kris stopped the music and frowned.
 
“Why don’t you try doing the wave?!” Sehun flailed his arms. “That choreographer hates me!”
 
“Let’s just take a break.” Tao suggested. Kai and Kris immediately left the room to cool down. Chanyeol went to the back of the room and started fiddling with his smart phone. “I know how you feel.” Tao sat beside Sehun.
 
“No, you don’t. You don’t know how it feels to be hated by the person who choreographs our performances.” The younger’s frown deepened.
 
“Why don’t you tell the manager?” Tao asked.
 
“I did. He said he’ll look for a replacement from the list of choreographers. But that was like, a month ago.” Sehun sounded hopeless. “Why can’t I be Jongin? I mean, he gets all the attention even if we dance together. Is there something wrong with me?”
 
“Nothing’s wrong with you.” Tao consoled.
 
“Except for your lisp.” Chanyeol interjected, making Sehun pout.
 
“Shut up, hyung.” Tao threw a glare towards the giant’s way.
 
“Sorry.” Chanyeol pouted then returned to busying himself with his phone.
 
“Look, maybe we’ll have something good in front of us. I mean, maybe we just have to endure a little more.”
 
“But this is too much humiliation!” Sehun shook his head.
 
“Hyung just called.” Kai entered the room Kris following closely behind him. “Since the old choreographer resigned, we’ll be having a temporary one for this song only.”
 
Sehun’s dark aura instantly brightened at the news. “When is the new choreographer coming?”
 
“The choreographer should’ve arrived before we started practicing.” Kai answered.
 
“Looks like the new choreographer’s three hours late.” Chanyeol raised his eyebrows.
 
“I’m not late. I was trying to exchange places with other choreographers.” A female’s voice echoed through the room, startling the members.
 
“Who are you?” Kris crossed his arms across his chest.
 
“I am your new choreographer.” The girl replied calmly as she walked across the room.
 
“You look way younger than I am!” Kris raised his arms.
 
“Yes, I am younger than most of you. But it looks like I’m the better dancer, huh?” She faced the 6-foot giant.
 
“Feisty.” Kris smirked. “Yah. Kai, someone’s getting a little cocky here.” The tall man faced the member but was left dumbfounded when he saw Kai’s jaw dropped. “W… What’s wrong?” Kris asked. He searched the room and found Sehun having the same expression.
 
“Is that you… Jira?” Kai said breathlessly.
 
“Why, yes, Jongin. And that’s seonsaengnim for you now.” Jira smiled at the seemingly lost boy. “Now, I want you to show me what Mr. Park had taught you and we’ll see what we have to do.” She clapped her hands and rushed everyone to do the choreography.
 
Kris lazily played the music and the other members went to their places. Sehun was still aloof throughout the run. He would bump into Kai or Tao when he changes places with them. There was even one time when he stepped on Chanyeol’s foot, causing the other to step on Kris who fell roughly on his bottom.
 
“You have got to be kidding me.” Kris groaned. “What the hell is wrong with you, Oh Sehun?!” The giant’s voice boomed through the room.
 
“I’m sorry.” Sehun quietly apologized.
 
“Okay, okay. That’s enough. I have seen the major parts so I think we’re good.” Jira heaved a sigh. “Rest for five minutes and we’ll start practicing.” She then turned her back on the members and started stretching.
 
 
 
After hours of practicing, Jira have dismissed the group. Kris, with a tired frown quickly packed his bag and started heading out, Tao following him closely like a chick to a hen. Chanyeol lazily packed his bag while still playing with his phone. Kai and Sehun, on the other hand approached Jira who was also starting to pack up.
 
“Hey, how are you?” Kai awkwardly asked.
 
“I believe that is not the tone you should be using on your teacher, Jongin-sshi.” Jira replied cold-heartedly. She continued fixing her things and did not even spare a glance at the two.
 
“I know we haven’t had any communication for two years but can you at least try to treat me as a sunbae?” Kai pouted. He, Jira and Sehun were in the same dance club throughout high school. He was older than the two, being a year advance so Sehun and Jira used to call him sunbae.
 
“I can’t, I’m sorry. I believe I am the sunbae now, Jongin-sshi.” Jira then lifted her bag and started to move out of the door.
 
“Hey, say something to her!” Kai whispered to Sehun as he elbowed him on the side.
 
“I… don’t know what to say!” Sehun answered weakly.
 
“Aish. Paboya.” Kai cursed. “Take care, seonsaengnim.” Kai called out to Jira. She raised her hand in recognition but she did not look back nor grunt any reply.
 
 
 
The group is already boarding the van when Sehun said that he had to go back inside the building.
 
“What’s wrong?” The manager asked worriedly.
 
“I… need to go to the restroom.” Sehun lied. “It’s emergency number two.” He held his stomach and acted like he was in pain.
 
“Okay, I’ll come pick you up in an hour. Is that enough?” The manager asked. The younger boy nodded and started walking away. The old man shook his head and took his seat. “What did you guys eat?” He shook his head and started the car.
 
“Hyung, I think Sehun will need my help.” Kai said, making Kris raise his eyebrow in suspicion. He was never one to care so much about Sehun, anyway. If Kai was anything to the younger member, he would be rivals with the other. Sehun was closest to Tao in the group and Kai could care less if Sehun would vomit his insides out.
 
“Okay. Go buy some tissues and see if he’s fine.” The manager nodded. Of course, he did not know. Kris shook his head and followed the dark-skinned member with his gaze. He made a mental note to interrogate the two later when they come back to the dorms.
 
 
 
As soon as the elevator dinged, Sehun broke out into a run. He needed to catch up with Jira before she leaves the building. Yes, he would still see her tomorrow but he needed some alone time with her. He needed to talk to her, to apologize to her for everything that he had done.
 
“Jira!” Sehun called out as he ran faster to catch up with the choreographer who just stepped out of the locker room.
 
“Yes?” She turned around to face Sehun only to be entrapped in his arms. “What are you doing?!” She tried pushing him away but he held her tight.
 
“I missed you.” Sehun could not voice out anything else. He wanted to tell her a lot but his mind was in too much haze for him to even form a decent sentence.
 
“Get off me, Oh Sehun.” She pushed him away with enough force this time.
 
“I’m… sorry…” Sehun looked down.
 
“I’m going home now.” She turned her back at him.
 
“Jira, please. Can you hear me out just this one last time?” The male dancer pleaded.
 
“Why do I have a feeling that I heard that before?” She raised an eyebrow at him.
 
“I’m really sorry. I know I haven’t contacted you for years… But I still love you. I have never stopped thinking of you.” Sehun held her hand. “I… I can’t think of anything to say but sorry.”
 
“Well, I’m sorry too. I can’t return those feelings anymore, Sehun-sshi.” Jira pulled her hand away.
 
 
 
Sehun had never felt so rejected in his whole life. He really loved Jira. He loved her so much that he started dreaming with her in his future. She was so important to him that they have started planning their careers together. But it seemed like my love wasn’t enough for me to keep her forever. Sehun thought bitterly.
 
 
 
“Sehun-ah!” A female’s voice called out to him. He was tired from practicing for his audition and that voice was the only thing he needed to feel energized again.
 
“Hello, princess.” He smiled up at her.
 
“That’s all? Where’s my hug?” She pouted at him.
 
“But I’m dripping with sweat.”
 
“Suit yourself.” She crossed her arms across her chest and frowned at him. He then stood up from the floor and pulled her close to him, pecking her lips once. “That’s all?” She raised an eyebrow.
 
“Aigoo. You’re becoming a little too demanding now.”
 
“But you like it, huh?” She poked his chest. He let out a soft chuckle before leaning down to give her a sweet kiss.
 
“Happy now?” He kissed her forehead.
 
“How’s your audition piece going?” She wrapped her arms around his neck.
 
“Going great, of course. I’m the great Oh Sehun, anyway.” He beamed at her.
 
“Getting all cocky now?” She raised an eyebrow.
 
“Hey, I’m really great, though.” He pecked her lips. “Let’s eat some ttuk. I’ll just go clean up.”
 
 
 
Half an hour later, Sehun and Jira found themselves spending the afternoon eating non-spicy rice cakes near their school.
 
“You know, this is really the best snack ever invented.” Sehun heaved a contented sigh as he finished his third serving.
 
“Hey, slow down, will you? Have you been starving yourself again?” Jira pat Sehun’s back.
 
“I’m sorry. I just miss eating with you.”
 
“But we ate outside yesterday, too!”
 
“I miss you every minute you’re not here beside me.” Sehun kissed her cheek.
 
“You’re becoming too cheesy, it’s scaring me.” She shook her head.
 
“Eyy… you still love me, don’t you?”
 
“I’ll just go buy some bubble tea. Wait for me over here, okay?” She then headed to the shop that was directly in front of the street food stand they were eating at.
 
 
 
Jira saw Sehun talking to an elder woman when she stepped out of the store. She watched him interact with the stranger. He was standing awkwardly and seemed to want to leave as soon as possible.
 
“Sehun-ah!” She called out to him.
 
“Oh! Jira!” He instantly left the girl and jogged towards her.
 
“Who was that?” She gazed curiously at the woman who was still following Sehun with her stare.
 
“Oh, that’s nothing. She said she wants to scout me or something.” Sehun took his bubble tea in his hands. “Let’s go. She’s kind of creeping me out.” He then pulled Jira away to someplace where the older woman can’t follow them.
 
 
 
Sehun was wrong, though. The woman followed him and Jira everywhere they went. He wanted some peaceful time with his girlfriend but it was so awkward to see someone following him diligently and forcing him to audition at the top entertainment company in the country.
 
“Maybe you should really talk to her now.” Jira urged Sehun. She can’t take being followed around anymore. They had to put an end with all the stalking if they really wanted to have a good date.
 
“But she’s scary…”
 
“We can’t do anything about it.”
 
“What if she’s a fraud?”
 
“I don’t think she is. She’s been following us for half an hour now.”
 
“But this is our date.”
 
“You career is still more important. Besides, I don’t think she’ll be leaving us alone unless you talk to her.”
 
“Alright, alright. Stay here, okay?” Sehun then walked towards the woman who has been staring at them for quite a while now.
 
 
 
A few minutes passed and Sehun had returned to his and Jira’s table. He had a mixture of annoyance, happiness and nervousness painted on his face.
 
“What happened?” Jira gazed at him worriedly.
 
“She gave me a calling card.” Sehun said.
 
“And?”
 
“I’m going to audition this Saturday.”
 
“Already?”
 
“Yeah. She’s a talent scout from SM and she said that I should audition.”
 
“Then you should go!”
 
“But this Saturday is our 100th day anniversary!”
 
“Oh come on! It’s not like you’ll be spending the whole day in the auditions!”
 
"But that day is really special~" He pouted.
 
"Then make it more special!" She pinched his cheeks. "Go to that audition and make sure that you pass, okay? So we would have more reasons to celebrate."
 
 
 
The audition was a success. Sehun was instantly accepted into the top entertainment company in the country. He wasn't actually expecting that but he was indeed happy. He didn't know that what would happen next could put his relationship in great turmoil. 
 
"I'm really busy, I'm sorry." Sehun apologized. He and Jira were supposed to spend their 200th day together but he had an important recital at the company. 
 
"Yah! Oh Sehun!" Jongin called out. They were not really close with each other but they had to go together this time because, apparently, their trainor thought that thy were close because they shared the same school and extra curriccular activites.
 
"I'm coming, sunbae!" Sehun called out. He gave Jira one small peck on the cheek and ran after his sinbae who was already makinghis move to leave the younger alone. 
 
Jira wanted to run after him and start preaching on how he had promised ti always make time for her. But she knew better. This was his dream  no, actually this was their dream. She had to understand that he would be busy now that he has become a trainee.
 
 
 
Sehun stared at Jira's retreating back, his heard slowly cracking into small peices with every step she took father from him. 
 
He couldn't take the pain anymore. He had to talk to her. He had to clear everything up. He just... needed her back into his life. 
 
"I can't let you go like this, Jira. Let's talk." Sehun had ran after her, entrapping Jira between his body and the wall. His face was dangerously close to hers, his panting breaths brushing across her lips. 
 
"I told you already. There's nothing to talk about, Sehun." She held his gaze with eyes full of anger and agony. 
 
"I'm really, really sorry. Can't we start anew?" He pleaded. "If I had to beg for you, I'd do it. Should I kneel? Should I kiss your feet? Just, please, Jira. I need you back in my life." His voice cracked as he pushed back the threatening sobs. 
 
"There's no need for that, Sehun. We're done." She kept her stand. 
 
He couldn't accept a no for an answer. It was too painful for him to hear. Rejection has never felt so painful in his whole life. 
 
Sehun closed the distance between them, claiming her soft lips with his trembling ones. He was surprised to feel that Jira had responded to the kiss. But instead of happiness, he felt loneliness and regret in the kiss. It wasn't like the others they have shared before. Sehun knew that this kiss is their goodbye. That this would be the last time he could be with her. That after this, he knew there won't be any reconciliation that would happen. This was the kiss of departure, of a painful, unhealable heartbreak. 
 
"Jira..." He said breathlessly as he placed his temple over hers. "I'm really sorry... Can't we do anything about this, about us anymore?" 
 
"No, Sehun. I was hurt enough by you. I don't want to feel that pain anymore. I'm sorry..."
 
"But what are we after all our dreams, after all our memories?" His tears started to trail down his cheeks. 
 
Jira couldn't hold back her emotions anymore. She let out her sobs, her tears mixing in with Sehun's as they fall at their feet. "We have both reached our dreams now, Sehun. This is what fate had for us. This is all we could be after everything." She said breathlessly. As painful as it was for her too, she knew she had to do it. To let him go, to let their hearts rest from the relationship that had burdened them for years. 
 
"Okay." Sehun had finally accepted their separation. He took a step back, letting her start walking weakly away. 
 
He didn't follow her with his gaze this time. He just let her take her way as he kept on looking down, letting his silent sobs take the better of him. 
 
It seemed like an hour had already passed when Sehun found a roll of tissue paper being held out to him. He hadn't realized that he had sat on the side of the hallway and rested his back on the wall. He looked up and saw Jongin squatting in front of him, holding the roll in his right hand. 
 
"I won't ask, I promise." He smiled at the younger boy. 
 
"Thanks." He took the roll and started wiping his tears. "You saw everything, didn't you?" Sehun scoffed. Kai wasn't the type of person who won't ask questions. If he was anything, Kim Jongin loved getting his nose into other people's business. 
 
"Yeah. Didn't know you knew how to kiss." Kai half-joked but the humor was absence in his eyes. Instead, his gaze was filled with empathy. 
 
"I'll just take that as a compliment." Sehun chuckled. 
 
"Yah. You better start fixing yourself. Hyung will be coming back in five minutes." Kai sat beside the other member. 
 
"Yeah. Thanks." Sehun let out a genuine smile. He's not exactly happy, not after what had happened, but he was thankful that Jongin had followed him and evesdropped. Because if the older didn't, their manager would be panicking to see a crying Sehun in the middle of the hallway.
 
"Don't mention it." Kai pat the younger's shoulder then giving it a reassuring squeeze. "I can be your friend for today."
 
========================================================================================
 
Kil me naooo~ xD. Thanks for reading! Subscribes and upvotes are very much appreciated but comments are most loved! Thank you!