When Sehun Was Born

Let Me Out of the Sea

Once upon a time, there was a boy born in a small village in South Korea. His mother named him Sehun of the sea because they lived so close to the Sea of Japan. She wanted Sehun to love the ocean more than anything and she enjoyed taking him to swim every day until he was 7. At that point in Sehun's life, his mother became very sick and couldn't move out of her bed. Yet she still pushed Sehun to go swimming on his own after he finished with his lessons. 

When Sehun got home from swimming one day, his father was on the porch, drinking out of a tin cup. He looked up when Sehun started walking up the stairs and then when back to drinking. The 7 year old walked into the small house quietly, looking around. He went into his mother's room but she was gone, the bed empty and the lights out. Sehun ran out to his father, grabbing his sleeve. 

"Daddy! What's going on? Where's mommy? Where is she?" Sehun cried, tears running down his cheeks as he pulled on his father's sleeve. His father then shoved him, shaking his kid off of his sleeves. 

"Shut up, brat! She's dead, can't you tell?" he yelled, slurring his words together in drunken stupor. "Now get the hell out off of me." 

Sehun didn't know what to do. With his mother gone and his dad being drunk beyond anything he'd ever seen, the young child ran off into the woods and straight to the sea. The sea was the only place left for him now. He knew he would have to return to his father soon, but he wanted to wash his tears in the ocean and swim where his mother had taught him. 

He sat on the bank, tossing rocks into the water, tears still streaming down his face. He watched the ripples form as the rocks sank into the ocean, but he couldn't stop thinking about his poor mother. 

Suddenly, he heard a spash. Sehun's head snapped up as he saw a beautiful shimmer of light disappear into the abyss. He jumped up, squinting his eyes to try and see what kind of fish had just jumped up, but he couldn't see anything. The light had been so pretty, like a flash of color. Sehun's eyes were wide, but he just couldn't find whatever it was. 

He realized that he had stopped crying, and tossed one more rock into the water before going back to his house, ready to face his father and be strong for his poor mother. 

Years passed and Sehun's father became worse and worse. He would drink every day and abuse Sehun, both physically and emotionally, but Sehun would always be strong. He did a lot of the house work and then did yard work and fix it projects for people to get enough money to buy food, but they would always be poor since his father couldn't work. He was quiet and never talked to anyone. And he was rarely happy. The only thing he ever felt happy about was swimming. But as time went by, he didn't have time to swim anymore. 

By the time he was 17, he hadn't gone to the ocean for several months at a time. He hated it, but he had to work hard to keep up with the food payments and his father's beer demands. There was no time for swimming anymore. Only work and taking care of his father. 

That was all. That's all that's left.