FINAL

Number Four (Contest Fic_2nd Place)

               It was almost four month since Dasom’s disappearance from her orphanage home. The cold winter weather had started to dissipate completely and was being replaced by the early spring breeze. And in just a week, the fourth anniversary of Eunjoo family members’ death will arrive.

 

                Eunjoo was walking home from school when she heard a very familiar voice calling her.

 

                “Lee Eunjoo!”

 

                It was Kim Myungsoo. The guy who she never thought she would be talking to ever again last December.

 

                But Dasom’s disappearance somehow brought them back together as they started to spent more time with each other while waiting for any updates from the authorities on Dasom’s case. And Myungsoo also had been a great emotional support for Eunjoo. When Eunjoo first heard the disappearance news, she went into a shock. It took almost three days before she finally got herself together again.

 

                But, the first month was still very hard for Eunjoo. Dasom’s disappearance had caused a huge conflict in school. The students who were just staying away from Eunjoo before started to act differently, demanding Eunjoo’s expulsion from school. Every day was filled with incidents; her locker was filled with thrash sometimes even dead rats or frogs, her desk and chair in class was burned down by some of the students, her books were destroyed and filled with curses words. It was so bad that the school decided to let her took a leave of absence until the situation cooled down.

 

                Then again, Myungsoo was there.

 

                Miraculously, instead of hiding away like she did for the past three years this time Eunjoo was different. She was strong, and she never ran away anymore.

 

                And after she kept holding on with all the bullies, the situation calmed down again. The students stopped being offensive and started to ignore her again like before. But this time, instead of shying away Eunjoo did not feel depressed or hopeless.

 

                All she had in her mind was to find her best friend.

 

 

* * * * * * *

 

 

                Myungsoo quicken his steps when he saw Eunjoo walking alone after school. When she turned around to see him; just like the usual, his heart skipped a bit.

 

                He quickly hugged her tightly when she finally stood in front of him.

 

                Unlike before, this time Myungsoo decided to be more open about his feelings. When the accident that took Eunjoo’s family happened, the thought of losing Eunjoo was almost unbearable. But when Eunjoo started to kept her distance from his due to the ‘witch’ rumor, he felt hurt and decided to just observe her from afar.

 

                The disappearance of his childhood friend Dasom was like a loud wake up call for Myungsoo. He wouldn’t be able to live normally if he was to lose Eunjoo too. Dasom unknown whereabouts was already killing him. He loved her like she is her own sister.  They had spent almost all their lives besides each other,comforting and protecting the other in times of sadness and laughing and smiling together when happiness came.

 

                So Myungsoo vowed, he will treasure and protect Eunjoo as long as he would live.

 

                “What are you thinking about?”

 

                Eunjoo’s voice brought Myungsoo back to reality. They were both still hugging each other tightly, ignoring other people who were watching them from surrounding.

 

                “Nothing, I just miss Dasom,” he said.

 

                “Me too Myungsoo yah; me too,” Eun joo replied.

 

                They stayed like that for about three more minutes before Eunjoo spoke again, breaking the silence.

 

                “Another bloody letter arrived this morning. ”

 

                And with that Myungsoo’s smile faded away.

 

                * * * * * * *

 

                “That would be the tenth letter right?” Myungsoo finally said something as they started to continue walking back home together.

 

                Eunjoo nodded.

 

                A glint of nervousness could be seen in her eyes but she snapped back and smiled to her boyfriend.

 

                “It’ll be fine. I bet it’s just one of the grudging students,” Eunjoo said, turning her head towards Myungsoo.

 

                Keeping his silence, Myungsoo just smiled back.

 

                It might be like what Eunjoo said, but I really have a bad feeling about this.

 

                Myungsoo kept that thought just to himself; in honesty, he had been feeling that something were a little ‘off’ when he first heard Eunjoo story about the repeating dreams and her strange meeting with an old woman a few years ago.

 

                He certainly wasn’t the type to believe in such supernatural stuffs, but after so many weird coincidences for the past three years, Myungsoo decided that he cannot dismissed even the smallest clue or hint.

 

                 The disappearance of Dasom was certainly linked to all these weird incidents that kept on happening around Eunjoo. He knew Dasom very much, she have neither family nor enemy to be disappearing just like that. Even if people say that she could be kidnapped, it doesn’t click at all. Dasom’s room was left untouched, but Dasom personal belonging like her purse was gone. It was as if it was Dasom who voluntarily left the orphanage.

 

                Which was an even greater mystery; Dasom had no one but the orphanage families. Where could she go? And yet again, why would she?

 

* * * * * * *

 

 

                “How could they look so happy when I am still nowhere to be found?”

 

                Dasom walked back and forth across the small hut. The wall of the hut was filled with animal skulls, and some smelly roots. The hut was dark, only leaving a small space for sunlight to slip in. At one side of it, the old shaman woman continued to observe the unstable Dasom.

 

                Finally she said, “Calm down child. The time for revenge will come soon, so don’t let your cloudy judgment ruin your chance for a change! The death will arrive soon; make sure your darkness doesn’t attract death any more than that girl’s misery. The 20th cycle of her life, a complete four year will arrive soon, and till then control your emotion. And she will be gone!”

 

                Dasom sat down, trying to collect her thought.                 

             

                “So tell me wise shaman, how are death going to take her away this time?” Dasom asked.

 

                “By the cruelest way possible,” answered the old shaman.

 

                And both of their evil laughter filled the hut in unison.

 

* * * * * * *

 

 

                It was the night of Eunjoo’s families’ death anniversary. Eunjoo and her grandmother were preparing for the death anniversary ceremony in their home when Myungsoo arrived.

 

                “Eunjoo yah, they got an update on Dasom’s whereabouts! The police want us to go to the place where they found Dasom’s wallet for us to take a look at.”

 

                “Let’s go after I finished the ceremony,” Eunjoo replied as she exchanged glances with her grandmother who was listening to the conversation the whole time.

 

                The ceremony was finally over at about 10.30PM. When the two of them stepped out of Eunjoo’s home, it was already quite late so they decided to catch a cab instead.

 

                “Why didn’t the cops called my home when they already told you about it?” Eunjoo asked, as they traveled further away from Seoul.

 

                Myungsoo just kept his silence, ignoring Eunjoo who was still waiting for his answer.

 

                A few minutes passed but there were still no respond from Myungsoo. Although feeling a bit weird, Eunjoo convinced herself that he was just being nervous from the news.

 

                When they arrived at the place mentioned by Myungsoo, it had already passed midnight.       

    

                This place looked familiar. Isn't this place near the accident location?

 

                Eunjoo scanned the surrounding as she tried to spot any police officer who could be waiting for them. But there were nothing but the sound of insects and wind colliding with each other.

 

                “Happy Birthday Lee Eunjoo."

 

                Myungsoo voice broke the unusual silence between them, and when Eunjoo turned around, Myungso was already running towards her, with a knife in his hand.

 

* * * * * * *

 

 

 

                “Myungsoo yah, what are you doing?!” shouted Eunjoo as she moved to avoid the sharp blade

.

                Luckily, the abrupt and clumsy attack somehow caused Myungsoo to be steered away from his aim. But again he picked up his pace and tried to stab Eunjoo once more.

 

                This time, the blade managed to cut Eunjoo’s left arm. Tears started to fall down Eunjoo’s cheeks not only because of the pain from the cut but also due to the shock she received from Myungsoo attack. She dropped on her knees, trying to suppress the extreme pain away.

 

                “You might have escaped death once Lee Eunjoo, but you’ll never escape from me twice! As for I, Death shall take your soul away and completes the initial blood contract created four cycles ago!” Myungsoo suddenly said.

 

                His voice was deep, but unlike Myungsoo’s normal tone, he sounded rough and dark.

 

                “Myungsoo yah, what are you talking about?” Eunjoo tried to reason with him again.

 

                “The boy’s consciousness is not here, he is now sleeping peacefully. I’m controlling his body now, and when he woke up later he’ll find himself drown in the blood of his own love!”

 

                The unknown spirit that controlled Myungsoo laughed once again.

 

                “Why are you trying to kill me? What did I do to you?” Eunjoo asked the possessed Myungsoo.

 

                “You have no fault with me but with the one who summoned me. I was offered her soul in exchange for me to take yours, and your families – here, four cycles ago. But something stopped my way when I tried to take you along, but this time I won’t fail anymore!”

 

                As soon as the sentences were finished, Myungsoo’s possessed body was already halfway into stabbing Eunjoo’s heart.

 

                Now trapped between the ground and Myungsoo’s hovering body above her, all Eunjoo could do was to keep the knife in Myungsoo’s hand away from her.

 

                At the same time, her mind kept flashing the words that have been bugging her these pasts few months in both her dream and wake.

 

                Fight the four, and light will be lit

 

                Eunjoo’s grip on Myungsoo’s arm kept faltering away. She knew that she wouldn’t be able to hold it out anymore

 

                “Myungsoo, help me!” she shrieked, tears streaming down her eyes as the last bit of her strength left her body. She had never felt so scared before. Before this all she wanted was to die and join her family, but now she knew that wanted to live, for her and for Myungsoo.

 

                It’s over Lee Eunjoo, it is time for you to join you mother, your father and you sister.

 

                But her grip finally loosens and, Eunjoo closed her eyes,nervously waiting for the pain that was going to kill her to break through.

 

                A few seconds went by, but the pain was nowhere to be felt. The surrounding had gotten so silent; she only heard the sound of her breath, and of Myungsoo’s

 

                The thought of the boy made Eunjoo forced herself to open her eyes again.

 

                And all she could see was Myungsoo’s tears streaming down as he struggled to stop the spirit that possessed him from further controlling his body. His body looked like it was fighting with something, and Eunjoo could see from Myungsoo eyes that he was trying his best to stop the unknown control over him.

 

                And finally, it stopped.

 

              Myungsoo threw the blade away from both of them and tightly hugged Eunjoo who was still trapped under him

 

                With that Eunjoo knew that somehow, her prayers had reached him and the spirit that possesed him had finally left. It was miraculous and Eunjoo let out a sigh of thankfulness as she wrapped her arms around Myungsoo.

 

* * * * * * *

 

                Both Eunjoo and Myungsoo finally let go of each other and they were now lying down next to each other with their back touching the grassy field.

 

               There were no words spoken between them for now. It wasn’t necessary.

 

                “Wow, it looked like our two lover birds are having fun!”

 

                The familiar voice made Eunjoo and Myungsoo sat up and turned their head almost instantly. They knew that voice with all their heart, and they were right;

 

                It was Dasom’s.

 

               But the girl who was standing in front of them and looked like Dasom, also looked so different; it made Eunjoo and Myungsoo almost doubt themselves.

 

            The girl in front of them was certainly not the Dasom Myungsoo knew his whole life and not the best friend Eunjoo knew all these years.

 

                There was darkness around her. Her hair was left hanging down from her head, tangled and messy everywhere. There was a hollow in her cheek, and the glow she used to have seemed to have gone away. She was skinny, as if she hadn’t had any proper meals for the last four months.

 

                “Dasom ah,” Eunjoo finally stand up to hug her friend. There was an unexplainable dark aura around her, but Eunjoo decided that she didn’t care.

 

               But what followed up next was shocking to Myungsoo and Eunjoo. As soon as Eunjoo’s arm reached Dasom’s body, she was pushed away into the ground.

 

                “Get your filthy hands off me!!” Dasom shrieked, loud and unstable.

 

                Unable to grasp the situation they were in yet, Myungsoo decided to intervene and stood between the two girls.

 

                “Dasom ah, what happened to you? Where were you all these times? I was worried, we searched for you everywhere. No one knows why you left. Or did something happen that forced you to leave? Tell us Kim Dasom!”

 

                Myungsoo’s unending questions made Dasom laughed hysterically.

 

                “You were worried? Don’t f**k with me Kim Myungsoo. All you see is Lee Eunjoo!” Dasom shouted; her eyes glared straight at Eunjoo who was still confused by Dasom’s action of pushing her earlier.

 

                Then, Dasom’s expression abruptly turned dark again, with a low voice she continued.

 

                “I’ve been with you all these time. I was there when you were sick, I was there when you needed someone to talk to, I was there for you all these time. But you can’t see it and, you only have Eunjoo in your eyes. At first I thought; sure, Eunjoo is a very cheerful girl. Unlike us who was born unwanted. She would be a better partner for you. But, I hate it! I hate that you never talk to me about anything anymore. When her parent died, I thought I’ll have a chance. After all; she is one of us now, alone in this world. What make her better than me then? But you still love her, and couldn’t love me!”

 

                Tears started falling down her pale cheeks; the murderous aura around her kept getting stronger.

 

                “Of course I love you Dasom! I care about you! You’re like a sister to me,” Myungsoo said. He was unable to understand the situation the three of them were in now. Dasom was acting very weird;  so deep in his heart Myungsoo almost wished that he could tricked himself into believing that all of these were just a dream.

 

                “But you don’t love me like you love her! It should’ve been me! She should’ve died that day with her family and I’ll make sure she will be joining them today! “

 

                With that, Dasom started running towards the direction where Myungsoo had thrown the blade earlier.

 

                “And this time, I’ll offer my life instead!” Dasom said as she grabbed the knife and stabbed her stomach with all her might.

 

                “No!!!” both Myungsoo and Eunjoo shouted as they saw what was happening.

 

                And Eunjoo started to run towards her best friend. Dasom was already kneeling down with her hands in her stomach. Blood was gushing out, and Dasom turned paler as the second goes by.

 

                With every ounce of strength left, Dasom recite the incantation the old shaman had taught her, in case Death failed with the job.

 

 

“Take this life as my last oath,

I summon the Darkness of timeless age,

With hate I curse with life I pay,

Take her with me; I’m forever your slave”

 

 

                 A white cloud in the midst of dark clouds

 

               The shaman had told her there was something strong that protected Eunjoo on the day of the curse four years ago, and she had a feeling that it would be the same today too.

 

                And the old shaman was right.

 

                The Death has failed, and it’s time for her to summon the greater Dark lord. Dasom had made her mind before she even came. If taking away Eunjoo from Myungsoo would cost her life; then let it be. It was already too late for her and Myungsoo to be together, and she’d rather left with Eunjoo if it was the only way left.

 

                After all, Eunjoo was the only friend she truly loved.

 

                Dasom knew what she did was wrong, but her love towards Myungsoo was greater than her love for Eunjoo. And for that, the darkness that had been lurking inside her heart for so long finally took control on her.

 

                As soon as her incantation ended, rain started to pour down and Dasom fell into the ground. Her vision got cloudier as she watched the two most impostant person in her life crouching and crying in front of her. Myungsoo was frantically trying to stop the bleeding in her stomach and Eunjoo was sobbing hysterically while holding her hand.

 

                It felt funny to Dasom that she's actualy feeling a little relieved in her heart, to find her only allies and at the same time her only enemies to be with her at her final moment.

 

                Dasom took her hand and reached for Eunjoo’s wet cheek.

 

                “I’ll see you on the other side Lee Eunjoo, I’m sorry it had to be this way.”

 

                Then her eyes drifted towards Myungsoo who was watching her intently.

 

                “I’m sorry Kim Myungsoo, I love you.”

 

                And with that, Dasom last breath left her body and she left the world with the oath she made with her life.

 

                And it was to be the slave of darkness.

 

* * * * * * *

 

 

                As soon as Dasom’s eyes closed and her breathing stopped, even before the two of them could react; Eunjoo suddenly felt a strong invisible hand choking .

 

                It was so strong; Eunjoo could feel her life slipping away from her.          

 

                “Eunjoo yah, what’s wrong with you?”

 

                Myungsoo hand which was already stained with Dasom’s blood grabbed Eunjoo’s shoulder, while his eyes watching her with an utmost terror.

 

                He could feel that Eunjoo was trying to fight with something unknown; something that he couldn’t see. But he couldn't figure out what was it.

 

                Eunjoo’s face started to turn blue as she tried to grasp for some air and, her hands were holding as if she was trying to remove something that was choking her there.

 

                But as moments passed by, Eunjoo's movement started to get slower, and Myungsoo knew that she was losing her strength. He felt hopeless; he wanted to help but no matter what he did it doesn’t changed anything. Eunjoo kept struggling and choking.

 

                “Oh God, help me! I can’t bear two lose two people in one night like this!”

 

                Myungsoo shouted, watching the pitch black sky and ignoring the drops on the rain on his face. He never believes in God, but for the first Myungsoo truly wished that God existed.

 

                “Let me help you child.”

 

                Out of nowhere, suddenly there was an old woman standing behind him. She looked so old, with her white hanbok and a cane in her hand.

 

                Eunjoo who was trying to fight the unknown forcepreviously had already lost alomst all her strength and finally dropped to the now wet and muddy ground. When she saw Myungsoo talking to the old lady amidst the weak feeling that was starting to consume her, she recognized the lady almost in an instance. It was the mysterious old lady that left her the crumpled paper and haunted her with those nightmares all these time.

 

                She knew it—all of these weird happening does have something to do with that encounter.

 

                The old lady then approached Eunjoo.

 

                “You’ve done great child. You were strong and patient, darkness almost succeeded to consume your soul but you fought it, not the bravest I’ve ever seen but you did your best in trying to live on.”

 

                The old lady then started to chant a mantra. And Eunjoo know every words of it all too well.

 

“Four is death and four is darkness.

Four takes away and four get taken.

But four shall stop as four completes.

 Fight the four, and light will be lit.”

 

                But this time, she continued;

 

 “Four is death and four is cursed,

Four bring hates but cured with love,

Four has strike, and four was taken,

Four shall now falls into oblivion”

 

                A strong gush of wind blew as the pouring rain started to subside once the old lady completed her mantra and, Eunjoo finally felt the invisible hand’s grip started to loosen up and finally it was let go.

 

                Finally able to breathe, Eunjoo greedily took a big breath as she let up a little cough. Sense of relief flushed through her entire body as her eyes locked into Myungsoo who was still in caught in stuphor.

 

                When he finally returned to his sense, Myungsoo grabbed Eunjoo and hugged her tightly once again; as if it was to be the last time they will ever embrace each other.

 

                “Thank God, oh thank God!” Myungsoo exhale as he cares Eunjoo’s head lovingly. He then turned around to the mysterious old lady who was still watching them with a smile in her face.

 

                Finally letting go of each other, Eunjoo was about to asked the old lady a few questions when the lady said, “I know what you’re thinking child, I’ll explain it to you.”

 

                And so, she started her story.

 

* * * * * * *

 

                “Even from centuries ago, there is one curse that has always been the biggest taboo. Heaven don’t accept or forgive curses, but this one curse is not only just unforgiveable it is considered the darkest of all time. We shamans and witches were told generations by generations that this curse shall open the gate of the Hell for the one who initiate the curse and the one who wish for the curse in the first place. And that curse is called the Number Four curse.”

 

                “The number four curse?” Eunjoo asked, as she exchanged look with Myungsoo next to her.

 

                “Yes, the Number Four curse,” the old lady nodded and then she continued.

 

                “It can only be created by exchanging your soul to the dark side and asking the Death to take away four lives. In old folklores and customs, number four is a very bad number as it represents and symbolizes Death. Therefore if you put somebody on a curse, under the name of Death; it’ll be such a big sin and you soul will never be cleansed ever again. The opportunity to be reborn for your next life will be gone and, that what your friend did to you.”

 

                The old lady’s explanation brought Eunjoo into a spiraling web of confusion. She could understand Dasom’s hatred by now but she wasn’t the kind of person who would play with such dark curse.

 

                Or maybe she just doesn’t know Dasom at all. Maybe it was her fault that Dasom turned bad; because she was too oblivious of Dasom’s feeling for Myungsoo. No, she did realized about it long before, but she did nothing to explain or tried to talk to Dasom about it.She should've done better, it was partially her responsibilities.

 

                 “I don’t believe it, Dasom was not that kind of person. I’ve known her since we were kids,” muttered Myungsoo in disbelief.

 

                With a quick smile, the old lady turned towards Myungsoo.

 

                “She was a sad child, your dead friend is. It was a shame that I wasn’t being able to stop it any faster. But she did realize what she was doing is wrong and she ignored her heart, and that was her biggest sin. “

 

              She continued, “The Number Four curse will be strongest when the object of curse has something that could amplify the curse, and in your case child, it was your birthday. You were born on the fourth day of the month, the fourth month of the year and the fourth year of the decade and that makes the curse stronger. But one night, just a few days after the curse were initiated, and just a few days before our meeting in that alley, I was given a premonition about it.”

 

                “So you knew about the curse from the start? But you didn’t tell me at all! All you said was that crap about the 16th cycles or whatever,” Eunjoo cut off the old lady’s word. If she knew all about it already, why didn’t she stop it from the start?

 

                “The 16th cycles means your 16th birthday. I can't tell you the truth because sadly, I didn’t have the power to undo the curse. But, the heaven looked kindly upon you child; and you survived the tragedy because of it. It was a shame that you lost your family and I’m truly sorry for that. Once the curse starts, there is nothing that could stop it but only the purest heart that truly wants to live. After that tragedy, even though it took a long time; you finally realized how precious it is to be alive and that is what defeated Death. It’s not yet time for you to leave this world.  And you should live your life, being thankful for it.”

 

                “How about the weird incantation Dasom was chanting when she stabbed herself? Isn’t that another curse? And what about all of the strange happenings that happened to me every four mouths for the last four year? Was that Dasom’s doings too?”

 

                Eunjoo looked at the lifeless body of Dasom from the corner of her eyes. Saying those with her own lips pained Eunjoo’s heart but she had to ask.

 

                Because this time she really wanted to live and be happy.

 

                “Yes, everything that happened to your all those time was also a part of your friend’s scheme. The curse was gone. The old Darkness lord had taken what he was offered in which Dasom’s life, and the shaman who taught your friend the dark incantation is gone too. The failed cursed finally reflected back on her as she was your friend’s master. In the world of shaman, a master’s life and power is linked directly to his or her apprentice. Since the curse failed to kill you, the master had to be responsible and thus the shaman’s own life was taken away by the Darkness lord. Therefore, you are safe now.That is the price she had to pay for practicing dark magic.”

 

                Both Eunjoo and Myungsoo nodded, both of them finally accepted the truth. They thanked the old lady for her help. The old lady smiled, acknowledging their heart.

 

              And with that, she disappeared into thin air.

* * * * * * *

 

                They sat there for a long time before Myungsoo finally decided to call the police and explained the details of what happened to them that night—although it's not all of them.

 

                He just told them that the phone call he received earlier that night, wanting them to come to the accident site was just a fake phone call  from Dasom who disguised herself as the police. And he left out all about the ‘curse’ part and just tell them that Dasom intention was to kill Eunjoo, but in the end she stabbed herself after she got rejected by him.

 

                Myungsoo knew it doesn’t fit altogether, but the police seemed to believe his story.

 

                He wandered if the ‘power’ from up there was the one helping, but Myungsoo decided to just accept it thankfully.

 

                After all, the things that happened tonight were not something he would came across all the time.

 

                * * * * * * *

 

 

Two Years Later

 

                Eunjoo sat at the coffee shop waiting for her boyfriend, Kim Myungsoo to arrive. They promised each other to meet there because Myungsoo told her that he had something he needed to give her.

 

                Eunjoo eyes wandered across the coffee shop, the ambience was nice with just a few people in it. Ever since Eunjoo started attending university, this coffee shop had been her favorite place to visit. Sometimes, when Myungsoo was in town he would drop by to meet her there too.

 

                Eunjoo decided to take Counseling and Psychiatric Studies as her major in university. After what happened to Dasom, she realized there are so many people like in the world who needed that kind of help but have little chance with it. She wanted to be there for people like Dasom, so the same thing that happened to them won’t be repeated.

 

                It’s her way of repentance for not seeing what was in Dasom’s heart. Because she knew, there was time before it all turned bad, where Dasom genuinely care and loved her. And even until now, although she can’t completely forgive what Dasom did to her, deep in her heart Eunjoo realized that Dasom was her best friend and that she too does love her. And that what made all that happened even more painful to bear for them.

 

                But Eunjoo and Myungsoo vowed to live their life the best they could, to accept love and give love, and to live not only for themselves but also for the lives they had lost.

 

                After high school graduation, Myungsoo decided to go to Busan and took composing class with one of his senior who used to live in the same orphanage with him. His senior, offered him a job at his recording studio there and at the same time he will be teaching Myungsoo various skills and knowledge in composing.

 

                Myungsoo made his mind that he would hold off his University entrance and start to collect funds for his studies first. Even though Eunjoo offered to loan some of her inheritance to him, Myungsoo decided to build his life with his own strength.

 

                As for their relationship, it kept going on stronger as the days goes by. Almost losing each other two years ago convinced both of them that they were meant for each other. There were already promises made, and both of them were striving hard to fulfill it.

 

                “Did you wait long?”

 

                Myungsoo’s voice pulled Eunjoo back from her daze.

 

                “Oh, you’re here. No, I just finished class too. How are you? I missed you,” Eunjoo said as she presents him with her brightest smile.

 

                “I missed you too,” Myungsoo reached out to hold her hand.

 

                “So, what is it you’re giving me that you had to rush back here in the middle of the week?” Eunjoo asked as she sipped in her hot chocolate.

 

                Myungsoo’s smile dropped a little. He then took out a small box from his bag and handed it to Eunjoo.

 

                “The orphanage sent me this a few days ago and...” he said and stopped mid way.

 

                Taking a deep breath he continued, “And it was Dasom’s”

 

                Without waiting for anymore explanations, Eunjoo opened up the box. Inside, there were a small notebook, and a necklace with snowflake shaped pendant. Eunjoo recognized the necklace almost immediately, because she too has the exact same necklace, safely stored in her drawer at home.

 

                It was the necklace Eunjoo and Dasom bought together as a proof of their everlasting friendship.

 

                She then opened up the small notebook and started reading the first sentence from the first page.

 

     Today I met someone so wonderful and her name is Lee Eunjoo, and she is from my class and, is so nice to me even when she found out that I’m an orphan. I kinda like her; maybe we could be good friends! And I should let Myungsoo meet her too. I’m sure he wouldn’t be able to make any new friends even if he wanted to. So, as his most important buddy I shall not leave him alone ^^ Ahh~~ I can’t wait for tomorrow! I want to meet Eunjoo so bad. Wow, is this what people call girl friendship? I never experienced it before but I think I would enjoy it very much. (I’m sorry Myungsoo..kekekekeke!)

 

                “Have you read this?” Eunjoo lifted her head and asked Myungsoo.

                And he nodded.

 

                “Read the last two pages,” Myungsoo said. His voice is so low it almost sounded like a whisper.

 

 5th January 2010.

 

                I dont know what I should do now. I cant stop myself from hating Eunjoo. She is the epitome of everything that I have ever wanted. Her family who loves her so much, she is very good in sport and studies, and the look Myungsoo gave every time he looks at her. Ive been with Myungsoo for the past 16 years, and Ive never seen something like that. His eyes used to be so blank and full with loneliness that sometimes I could see myself in him. We understand each other so well. But now its almost gone! I hate Eunjoo for taking that away from me. She already has everything, why Myungsoo?! She already has me, and our friendship, but I guess she is just too greedy. Maybe I should take something away from her too. Maybe I should do something to take Myungsoo away from her. Or maybe I should take her away from Myungsoo. And maybe if she is gone, Myungsoo would love me back like I love him. If I have to choose between friendship and love, I guess I have to sacrifice friendship for love. I rather be friendless than loveless. Because Ive had enough of my poor fate, and not being loved! Maybe that was the reason my parent abandoned me sixteen years ago, maybe they had to choose too. I guess it wont be wrong for me to do the same right?

      Be ready Lee Eunjoo, because your angelic friend is no longer yours. And you should know that even angels have their wicked scheme.

 

                Eunjoo cried as she read Dasom’s writing word by word and, looking at the handwritings that she recognized so well made her heart constrict even more. With a shaking hand, Eunjoo turned to the last page of the notebook.

 

 4th December 2013.

                 It has been awhile since I last wrote in this diary. Ive been busy these past few years. My plan is going on fine so far. The time for Eunjoo will arrive soon. But today, something happened that and I have a feeling that it could ruin the plan. Eunjoo saw me and Myungsoo at the library when I confessed to him. I was being too careless and let my feelings controlled me. We ended up talking about our feelings for Myungsoo. She said she knew she shouldnt take Myungsoo away from me. That is why they never become a couple. She realized that couldnt do that to me. Does that mean I was wrong? Should I stop everything?

       No, no! Its already too late. Im a murderer. I killed her family, and I killed Miss Song too! And its all just because I wanted to make her sad and miserable, because I want everyone in school to hate and be scared of her, and because I need her to die! The shaman already told me about the consequences of the curse, I cant stop halfway. Its too late now. Yeah, and its all because of Eunjoo. If it wasnt because of her, I wouldnt even turn out to be like this. Its all her fault.

      I need to get away from her. She is making me waver day by day. I cant have a change of heart. If I cant have Myungsoo, she wont have him either. I should go somewhere away. My disappearance will make her even more miserable, and thus the curse will be strongest when the 20th cycles arrive.

      Maybe I should go and see Myungsoo one more time before I leave? But its already late. Ill see him when all of this is over. Although at that time, some things would probably change, because finally Eunjoo wont be here anymore.

      I wonder if Ill feel lonely without Eunjoo? Maybe, I think so too. But sacrifices are needed for me to get my happy ending. Ill probably miss her once in a while. Maybe I should go visit her grave with Myungsoo every year later? And maybe I could say sorry to her too at that time.

      Because thats all I could do, I love Myungsoo and I need Myungsoo; and I love Eunjoo but I also hate her.

     

                The words in Dasom’s final entry were very unstable, just like a mentally weak person would be. But Eunjoo finally understood what was Dasom thinking. And she also felt relieved to know that her friend did love her, although in her very own twisted way.

 

                Just like how Dasom wanted to visit her grave even when she was the one who wanted to kill her, Eunjoo realizes that she too had been the same these pasts two years.

 

                They truly were friends, but sadly their fate was a bad one.

 

                Eunjoo closed the notebook and placed it back into the small box along with the necklace. She will burned it all once she finishes reading it. It was a fragment of Dasom memories, but it was also a proof of Dasom’s darkness. And Eunjoo knew that she needed to hide it from the world. Having Myungsoo and herself remember both Dasom’s light and darkness was just enough. She doesn’t need anyone else to find it out.

 

                Eunjoo returned her gaze towards the man who has not only stolen her heart, but also tend it when it was hurt – and Eunjoo promised herself to cherish and love him as long as she shall live.

 

               The guy smiled at her and she smiled back at him.

 

                “So, do you want to go for a date?” Myungsoo stood up and held out his hand offering it to Eunjoo.

 

                “Where should we go?” Eunjoo asked as she reached for his hand.

 

                “I’ll take you anywhere you want my princess – except for probably the sun and the moon. Because I’m hot enough as your sun and you shine enough in darkness to be my moon,” Myungsoo winked.

 

                And they both laughed; hand intertwined with each other, strong and full of of warmness.