Chapter 3

False Identity

The loud blaring rock'n'roll music was giving Charmaine a headache. She seemed to be getting an earache along with a headache. She cursed her friends for making her come here. This was not her idea of a girls' night out. All day at work, she was looking forward to a night with her girlfriends. They would go to a quiet cafe, enjoy some wine or a beer, snack on chips and nuts while catching up with fun-filled stories. She was taken by surprise when they dragged her to the Club S. She was not a party girl. Never was and never will be. The loud music only gave her a headache. Plus it was smoky and congested. She could barely get to the ladies room without touching someone along the way.

"Listen.. I'm heading out. This really isn't my scene." Charmaine picked up her bag.

"Wait... can't you just stay for a bit longer?" her friend Selena asked.

"I'm truly sorry but I can't. You guys have fun. I'll see you next time." With those parting words, Charmaine headed for the exit. Once outside she took a big gulp of fresh air. "Pheww... feel so much better. Even my headache is gone," she muttered to herself.

She walked to her left and decided to take a short cut to the bus stop. Although the short cut was actually a long alley with tall buildings on each side it would save her about four walking blocks. Besides, it was still early. Only 9:30 pm. Crimes usually don't occur until after midnight. At least that's what she kept telling herself as she made her way down the dark passageway.

Out of nowhere came a thud. She was frightened now. "Who's there," she asked in her usual timid voice.

Out of the darkness came a looming figure. He was dressed in all black with bruises on his face and on his face was a leering grin that nauseated Charmaine. "My lucky night" the stranger said as he advanced towards her.

Charmaine took a step backward and made to run when the stranger grabbed onto her arms. She used her free hand to scratch at the stranger hoping to hurt him enough for her to break free. But the stranger seemed to be oblivious to pain. He dragged her into the depth of the alley and unceremoniously pushed her to the ground. Charmaine was scared to death now. She pushed herself as far back as she can.

Out of nowhere came two figures. The first one grabbed her assailant by the neck and pulled him away from her. The second man punched the him in the stomache. Her assailant was no match for these two. He made a groan and quickly left.

The first man bent towards Charmaine and helped her to her feet. "Are you ok?" His voice was soft yet possessed a strength to it.

She looked up and their eyes met briefly before she quickly averted them. "I'm fine. Thank you." she murmured. Then her thoughts returned to the events that unfolded just a few seconds ago. If these two men haven't arrived, she wouldn't know what would have become of her. She could not help but shudder at the what if.

The second man, the slimmer of the two, chuckled. "If you're fine then why are you shaking so bad?"

The first man took off his jacket and placed it softly on her shoulders, "Why don't we take you home. You had a fright."

Charmaine didn't know these two men and she was not about to let them take her home. She was not going to escape one to fall into the hands of others. The first man sensed her hesitation and read her thoughts correctly. "Why don't I hail a cab for you?"

"Thank you." Charmaine proceeded him out of the alley and onto the brightly lit sidewalk. There were people walking everywhere and that gave her some comfort.

The first man summoned a cab over and open the door for her. When he saw that she was seated safely in the cab he turned to the driver, "Take her to wherever she wants to go." He handed the driver a few bills and stood back as the cab pulled from the curb. As the cab made its way down the street, Charmaine turned around to catch one last glimpse of the first man and found that he too was looking at her from the distance. At that moment, their eyes held.