Fired

Daylight

Seoul; some years ago…

Look at that sweet lump! Oh, baby I’d tap that!

“ you!”

Krystal felt the world spin as she swerved through the corner on the way to her alley. She's so used to guys shouting crudities at her that every time she hears them she just flicks them off with a simple two-word answer.

“God damn it!” She yelped, suddenly scared because of the blood trickling down her hands. She fumbled for her handkerchief in her bag and dabbed it on her nose praying it’ll stop bleeding soon.

The street felt haunted that night. The lights went on blinking, and dogs would occasionally howl. Cats can be heard scraping against roofs and sometimes she can hear people whispering. Tears ran down her face. She dreaded going home. But where else will she sleep if she won’t go home?

“Miss?”

Krystal once again felt vertigo cover her when she turned to look at the man who just called her. Clutching the handkerchief to her face, she took two steps back when she saw the three guys now standing in front of her. She couldn’t see their faces well but judging by the way they’re all dressed up, she can tell they’re not bad guys. Whatever the definition of “bad guys” is.

 “Blood…” Kyungsoo gasped.

Everything was suddenly spinning and Krystal couldn’t keep up. She felt her knees bend and two strong hands grabbing her from the fall.

The boys took the girl home with them that night. And when she woke up, Kai was the first she saw.

 “Feelin’ okay?” Kai asked.

“Where am I?”

“You’re in my friend’s house. His name is Kyungsoo but you can call him D.O.”

“And you are?”

“Oh, me? I’m Kai.”

“Jongin-ah!” Kyungsoo called from the kitchen. He was cooking breakfast for the three of them so I guess you can say he was kinda busy. When Kai didn’t answer, he came to the bedroom holding a pan of sizzling bacon and sausages and saw the guy grinning like an idiot in front of the stranger. 

“Yah, what are you doing? Come and fix up the table.”

“Oh, right.” And so he went to the kitchen and fixed up the said table.

--

Seoul; present time…

“So the girl’s dead? How’d she die? Might I ask.”

“I… It’s in the report sir.”

Lee Jinki sat on his table while he flipped open a folder containing Taemin’s report. “You killed her.”

Taemin winced. Why did his boss have to say it bluntly, really? “Yes.”

“You’re not really one to hold a gun, Lee Taemin-ssi.” He eyed Taemin obviously somewhat puzzled at his sudden change of ways. “Did you tell your partner about this?”

“No sir.”

“Technically she’s a civilian who did nothing to you. And you killed her. Your report says nothing about your defense on the matter. Frankly, this is the first poorly-written report you’ve ever sent to me and now I need to fire you.”

Taemin didn’t respond and instead turned to look away.

“Don’t try to cover up something Taemin. You’ve been under me for quite a while now. I know when you’re hiding something.”

“But sir I… the reason’s personal. Okay?” With that he shut down his computer and left his room.

Meanwhile Jinki was just staring at his screen, dumbfounded by what his agent just did. “Adolescence? But he’s already past that. Aish. I’ll fry him up next time. Personal my . I thought I said it clear not to involve personal matters in this line of work!”

--

Taemin’s phone has been ringing for an hour now but he was too sound asleep to hear it. If it hadn’t been for the sound of the door banging in the apartment next door, he wouldn’t wake up.

Who is calling this late at night? Jonghyun-hyung? He thought. Slowly he got up from his bed half-, swayed and fell among the sheets on the floor causing his hair to plunge all over his face. God damn!

He got ahold of his phone and saw that Kyungsoo was the one calling him.

“D.O.-yah, why are you calling?”

“Hyung, I just want to ask you something about Kai?”

“What about him?”

“He seemed off since that night when Krystal called him and he said he lost his gun. I was wondering, did he tell you… things?”

Taemin sat frozen on his bed.

“Oh and if you’re wondering why I’m asking about Kai, he’s with me at the moment. Dead drunk. He wouldn’t stop crying and he won’t tell me why!”

“Listen, just let him cry. It’s not like he hadn’t done that before.”

“Right. But the last time he cried, at least he was telling us about the reason. Now he’s just… curled up in a corner. He can barely breathe.”

“Whatever he’s going through, he’ll get over it.”

“Hyung… why do I feel as if there’s something you’re not telling me?”

“D.O.-yah, you woke me up from my sleep. I’m only half awake, what do you want me to do?”

“Aish. I really can’t rely on you on things like this. I’m hanging up.”

“Bye.”

I’m sorry Kai. I had to.

--

Meanwhile in Crimson Rhomb, the new “members” are easily blending in the whole crowd and Jonghyun has quickly learned the names of Choi Minho’s pawns. What he hasn’t figured out yet was how he could get to the main server and gather the information of the Rhomb people without having the others follow him in the process. With this he needed Taemin’s help. He felt like he needed the intel to be delivered to the general immediately. In the short time that he’s there, he has seen women getting dragged here and there; their clothes tattered, blood trickling down their legs, bruises on their arms and pale faces. He hadn’t seen Amber yet. Maybe on the next place he’ll be going to, he’ll find her there.

Amber was like a sister to Jonghyun. He used to look after her while her parents fought. She would often run over to their house, distressed and crying. He felt so sorry for her that he even asked his mom to take her in. It has been too long since his last visit to his parents. It’s been too long since he last saw her.