Once a Family, Always Will Be

Five Lives Intertwined

“Okay boys. This is it. Five years in the running and now you’re going to renew your contracts. Stay calm and be professional, no matter what. Arachi? You guys aren’t those kids at 19 and 20 anymore, so stay composed okay?” the manager-hyung, Hyeong Jin, lectured, making sure that the boys he watched grow up behave like the dashing young men he knew they were. He just hoped that they wouldn’t react too much, whether positively or negatively, to what the DSP CEO had to say.

“Ye Hyung!” Five voices responded to him simultaneously. “You have nothing to worry about Hyung! We’re big boys now!” Jung Min added playfully, with a cheeky smile. And one by one they exited the van, on their way to face their fate, again. Hyeong Jin watched them fondly as they left the car. Yes, big boys now indeed. Ah, they’ve grown up so fast. It seem like only yesterday they didn’t know the difference between upstage and downstage, he thought, reminiscing to the past. Just as the last one was about to leave the car, Hyeong Jin remembered something and called out to them.

“BOYS! WAIT! ONE MORE THING!” Five faces turned back to look at him, waiting for further instruction. But it wasn’t an instruction that came next. No, it was a reminder that they would always hold dear to their hearts.

“Remember! You boys are a family, okay? Whatever you go through, you go through together. Whatever happens, it’s five against the world not five against five, okay? Please promise me that no matter what happens today you boys will always be together. PROMISE?” Hyeong Jin reminded them, worry slightly lacing his words.

Kyu Jong slowly began walking back to the van with the sweetest smile on his face and the other four soon followed. When he reached the car, he reached out and patted his manager-hyung softly on the shoulder. “Hyung, once a family, always a family. You know we love each other,” he said.

“Kyu Jong is right Hyung. Don’t worry about our bond breaking. Our hearts beat as one, we will be one. Not even the greatest distance can tear us apart,” Young Saeng said, with a reassuring smile, dimples and all.

“Yup! You have nothing to worry about Hyung! We value each other so much that missing one person makes us incomplete. Besides, this Tom can never live without his Jerry! Right, Jun?” Jung Min added, while he hooked Hyung Jun into an embrace.

“Right Mal. Hyung, our lives would be so boring without each other. There are times when we even crave each other’s presence. Remember last year how we all did our own activities? You know, Hyun Joongie-hyung’s drama, Jung Minnie’s musical, and our unit group? Well, even though it was only a year and a half, we missed each other so much that we kept in contact often and it felt like we were never actually apart. Heck, we made it so that when we went overseas, we went together. So don’t worry about us losing our bond Hyung.” Hyung Jun stated, grinning widely at his manager-hyung.

Hyun Joong walked up to the four of s and his beloved manager-hyung. With a soft smile he said, “We promise Hyung, we’ll never be apart. We’ll walk together to the very end, hand in hand.” And then he leaned closer to Hyeong Jin’s ear and whispered, “I’ll keep us together no matter what it takes, even if it means sacrifice on my part. Don’t worry. I promise.” Hyeong Jin looked up and stared in Hyun Joong’s deep brown eyes. He was filled with relief that the boys loved each other so much but he was slightly startled at Hyun Joong’s statement. “Sacrifice on my part” Hyun Joong said, but what exactly did that mean and why had he said it? Perhaps it was just a part of his 4-D personality to spout such things, and his way of reassuring Hyeong Jin that everything would be alright.

Hyeong Jin looked at all five boys standing in front of him and he can’t help but to smile and ruffle their hair as if they were young teenagers again. He had watched them grow up, grow together, and create something beautiful. Now they were standing in front of him, five great young men, and he knew that no matter what, they would pull each other through. “Arasso, Arasso. I get it, you all love each other. Okay, since you promised, you have to stick to it. Now, go! You’re almost late!” He said with a fatherly smile and sent them off into the building to face their fate, again.

I know this is a short chapter. School just started and I've been busy. I'm working on the third chapter and I'll upload it soon so please bear with me. Please keep reading and comment below!