Chapter 5

Battle of Life
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

“Good morning,” Hyun Joong greeted So Min when he entered the classroom.

So Min turned to her left, her right and to her back. “Excuse me, are you talking to me?” she asked him.

“Oh no, I’m talking to myself,” he said sarcastically. “Of course, it’s you. Who else would I be talking to?” he added while taking his seat.

So Min looked at him as he took his seat beside her. “I’m sorry. I was just surprised because...”

“Because you never heard me talk to anyone?” Hyun Joong cut her sentence.

“Yeah,” she answered shyly.

Their conversation was cut when their first teacher finally arrived. Silence was back in their atmosphere. So Min felt awkward just like before. But more awkward this time when she remembered how they hugged tightly and how he cried in front of her.

 

**********************************************************

 

So Min was expecting Hyun Joong to talk again during the break or when they were waiting for their next teacher. But to her disappointment, he didn’t.

‘Maybe he just wanted to greet me this morning,’ another assumption came on her mind.

She was in the locker room. She knew she was alone because it was already 7pm. No one would dare stay there until that time since the atmosphere there was really creepy. But she didn’t have a choice since she had to stay for her math training. The contest would be next week.

“Jung So Min!” a voice called her.

“Aaahhh!” she screamed out of shock. “Oh my! You scared me!”

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to do that,” the owner of the voice said.

“What are you doing here anyway?” she asked.

“I was wondering if I could have a talk with you?” the person asked her again.
 

“You’re already doing it, right?” she teased.

“I mean, a private talk,” the person said seriously.

Seeing how he spoke seriously, she finally agreed. “Ok. Where?”

“While walking you home,” he said directly. He saw from her expression that she was shocked with what he said. “Well, that is, if it’s fine with you,” he said sounding like asking for permission to walk her home.

“All right. Let’s go,” So Min finally agreed.

 

 

**************************************************************************

 

So Min and the person walked out of the locker room and made their way out of the school. While they were walking, she felt uneasy because she thought they would be talking.

“I thought you wanted to talk,” she told him

“Yeah. But I don’t know how to start,” the person said.

“Ok. So tell me what you wanted to say when you asked me to talk,” she said. She was thinking that if he would tell her what he wanted to say in the first place, then the conversation would not be too long.

“Thank you,” he said.

“For what?” she asked innocently although she had an idea what he was talking about.

“For saving me out there last Friday. I couldn’t imagine it if you didn’t come,” he replied. (*so now you know who the owner of the voice was*)

She smiled before giving her reply, “It’s ok. I’m used to it.”

“To what?” Hyun Joong asked confused.

“Saving the victims of Dong Han and his gang.”

“I can see that you know him well,” he said not knowing if he wanted to know the answer.

“You can say that. But I can’t really predict what’s going on in his mind,” she replied.

“You two must be close,” he said out of nowhere. He didn’t understand what it was. But he didn’t like the idea of Dong Han and So Min being close.

“We are, but I don’t like his actions,” So Min said.

“You’re mad at him?” he asked.

“Disappointed.”

Hyun Joong smiled upon hearing her answer. ‘She’s disappointed at him,’ he thought to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter